accurate list of supported distributions?

accurate list of supported distributions?

Adam Spiers
I just submitted

  https://github.com/keybase/keybase-issues/issues/2569

to try to encourage the keybase folks to work with us to package
keybase properly for openSUSE, and while I was at it, I thought it
would be worth trying to persuade them to use OBS to package for
multiple distributions.  This raised the question - which
distributions can OBS currently build for?

I was slightly disappointed to find this question unanswered by

  http://openbuildservice.org/about/

even though it refers to "21 base distributions on 6 architectures".
Some further googling led to:

  https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets

which lists 5 *families* of distributions (or a few more, if you count
openSUSE/SLE and Fedora/RHEL/CentOS as different families), spanning
25 different release versions.

It also says:

  The OBS api also provides a list of available distributions:
  https://api.opensuse.org/distributions

but this URL yields a 404, despite it being documented as a valid API
call:

  https://build.opensuse.org/apidocs/#8

So the inevitable follow-on questions are:

  - What is a "base distribution"?

  - Which of these two claims about the number of supported
    distributions is accurate?  If neither, then what's the truth?

  - Why is this API call returning a 404?

Thanks!

Re: accurate list of supported distributions?

Malcolm
On Sun 18 Sep 2016 05:32:31 PM CDT, Adam Spiers wrote:

>I just submitted
>
>  https://github.com/keybase/keybase-issues/issues/2569
>
>to try to encourage the keybase folks to work with us to package
>keybase properly for openSUSE, and while I was at it, I thought it
>would be worth trying to persuade them to use OBS to package for
>multiple distributions.  This raised the question - which
>distributions can OBS currently build for?
>
>I was slightly disappointed to find this question unanswered by
>
>  http://openbuildservice.org/about/
>
>even though it refers to "21 base distributions on 6 architectures".
>Some further googling led to:
>
>  https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets
>
>which lists 5 *families* of distributions (or a few more, if you count
>openSUSE/SLE and Fedora/RHEL/CentOS as different families), spanning
>25 different release versions.
>
>It also says:
>
>  The OBS api also provides a list of available distributions:
>  https://api.opensuse.org/distributions
>
>but this URL yields a 404, despite it being documented as a valid API
>call:
>
>  https://build.opensuse.org/apidocs/#8
>
>So the inevitable follow-on questions are:
>
>  - What is a "base distribution"?
>
>  - Which of these two claims about the number of supported
>    distributions is accurate?  If neither, then what's the truth?
>
>  - Why is this API call returning a 404?
>
>Thanks!
Hi
Talk to the api with osc....

osc distributions shows;

http://paste.opensuse.org/73934183

You would need to query with osc repos <project> to see the build
arch available.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.31-30-default

Re: accurate list of supported distributions?

Andreas Schwab
On Sep 18 2016, Adam Spiers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It also says:
>
>   The OBS api also provides a list of available distributions:
>   https://api.opensuse.org/distributions
>
> but this URL yields a 404, despite it being documented as a valid API
> call:
>
>   https://build.opensuse.org/apidocs/#8
>
> So the inevitable follow-on questions are:
>
>   - What is a "base distribution"?
>
>   - Which of these two claims about the number of supported
>     distributions is accurate?  If neither, then what's the truth?
>
>   - Why is this API call returning a 404?

Try `osc api https://api.opensuse.org/distributions' or visit
<https://api.opensuse.org/distributions.xml>.

API calls are not to be confused with WebUI Urls.  The API calls are
distinguished by the use of the `Content-Type: application/xml' header.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5

Re: accurate list of supported distributions?

Roman Neuhauser
# [hidden email] / 2016-09-18 19:11:14 +0200:

> On Sep 18 2016, Adam Spiers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It also says:
> >
> >   The OBS api also provides a list of available distributions:
> >   https://api.opensuse.org/distributions
> >
> > but this URL yields a 404, despite it being documented as a valid API
> > call:
> >
> >   https://build.opensuse.org/apidocs/#8
> >
> > So the inevitable follow-on questions are:
> >
> >   - What is a "base distribution"?
> >
> >   - Which of these two claims about the number of supported
> >     distributions is accurate?  If neither, then what's the truth?
> >
> >   - Why is this API call returning a 404?
>
> Try `osc api https://api.opensuse.org/distributions' or visit
> <https://api.opensuse.org/distributions.xml>.
>
> API calls are not to be confused with WebUI Urls.  The API calls are
> distinguished by the use of the `Content-Type: application/xml' header.

it's all just HTTP though, and this behavior is non-conforming.

   A request without any Accept header field implies that the user agent
   will accept any media type in response.  If the header field is
   present in a request and none of the available representations for
   the response have a media type that is listed as acceptable, the
   origin server can either honor the header field by sending a 406 (Not
   Acceptable) response or disregard the header field by treating the
   response as if it is not subject to content negotiation.

roman