accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
79 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
Hi. This is a very specific case so I'm not expecting miracle responses,
but before I give up totally on the idea I thought I'd see if anybody
has experience with this:

I have an external spinning SATA HD that until now I've plugged directly
into the USB port on my PC. There are two partitions, one of which
houses my music collection, mostly in FLAC. I access this through
Clementine. However, I also have a second PC and the option to access
those same files, again through Clementine without having to unplug the
drive and stick it in the 2nd PC would be an advantage, especially for
times when the first PC is not switched on. I don't want to get into
other fancy media storage or outlay further cash. It's not a big deal.

But my router, provided (rented, essentially) by my French ISP "Free",
has 2 USB ports (and one USB/eSATA). This is the Mini 4K model, box
number 1 (I don't bother plugging in box 2 since I don't pay for the TV
functionality). Free's routers are perhaps a bit non-standard in their
functionality, and you can't simply install some other software on them.
This wikipedia page has some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox

When I set up the hard drive on the Freebox OS login page, the address
it gives me to access the music partition is of the format:
http://{my IP address}:{port number}/share/{unique string}
It reads XFS, even if it says I should better use ext4, and I believe
FLAC files are supported in some way or other if you want to use the
Freebox's built-in media functionality, which isn't really my aim.

I'd like to set Clementine to read/write to the music partition via the
router, and also just access it as a regular partition on a connected
device. I can't simply browse to these files in Dolphin (I'm on Leap
42.2 with KDE). I can use the Freebox OS login through my browser to
access the files but you have to use its clumsy interface to upload onto
it. The French documentation doesn't really cover a use-case like mine.
The above wiki page suggests:
'The server's hard drive is available from the local network to
Macintosh, Linux, and Windows computers. It can be made available from
the WAN.'
I think that's rather referring to the built-in HD on a different model.
My model has no built-in HD.

Is there a simple way to make this work without getting into hairy
network shares setups or other fancy configurations?

gumb

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Patrick Shanahan-2
* gumb <[hidden email]> [07-16-17 07:00]:

> Hi. This is a very specific case so I'm not expecting miracle responses, but
> before I give up totally on the idea I thought I'd see if anybody has
> experience with this:
>
> I have an external spinning SATA HD that until now I've plugged directly
> into the USB port on my PC. There are two partitions, one of which houses my
> music collection, mostly in FLAC. I access this through Clementine. However,
> I also have a second PC and the option to access those same files, again
> through Clementine without having to unplug the drive and stick it in the
> 2nd PC would be an advantage, especially for times when the first PC is not
> switched on. I don't want to get into other fancy media storage or outlay
> further cash. It's not a big deal.
>
> But my router, provided (rented, essentially) by my French ISP "Free", has 2
> USB ports (and one USB/eSATA). This is the Mini 4K model, box number 1 (I
> don't bother plugging in box 2 since I don't pay for the TV functionality).
> Free's routers are perhaps a bit non-standard in their functionality, and
> you can't simply install some other software on them. This wikipedia page
> has some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox
>
> When I set up the hard drive on the Freebox OS login page, the address it
> gives me to access the music partition is of the format:
> http://{my IP address}:{port number}/share/{unique string}
> It reads XFS, even if it says I should better use ext4, and I believe FLAC
> files are supported in some way or other if you want to use the Freebox's
> built-in media functionality, which isn't really my aim.
>
> I'd like to set Clementine to read/write to the music partition via the
> router, and also just access it as a regular partition on a connected
> device. I can't simply browse to these files in Dolphin (I'm on Leap 42.2
> with KDE). I can use the Freebox OS login through my browser to access the
> files but you have to use its clumsy interface to upload onto it. The French
> documentation doesn't really cover a use-case like mine. The above wiki page
> suggests:
> 'The server's hard drive is available from the local network to Macintosh,
> Linux, and Windows computers. It can be made available from the WAN.'
> I think that's rather referring to the built-in HD on a different model. My
> model has no built-in HD.
>
> Is there a simple way to make this work without getting into hairy network
> shares setups or other fancy configurations?

I can play music files from a remote drive accessed via nfs.  but haven't
tried one connected via router.  I don't know why the router access would
be any different than another computer.  note that quality may suffer if
the remote is wireless and signal is not strong.
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-07-16 13:35, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * gumb <> [07-16-17 07:00]:


>> Is there a simple way to make this work without getting into hairy network
>> shares setups or other fancy configurations?
>
> I can play music files from a remote drive accessed via nfs.  but haven't
> tried one connected via router.  I don't know why the router access would
> be any different than another computer.  note that quality may suffer if
> the remote is wireless and signal is not strong.

The problem is that the router method is inflexible, you can not add to
it support for some other protocol.

We know that this router accepts ext3 disks and xfs, which is a
surprise: the router I tried accepted FAT and NTFS, the doc said.

We know you can access via http.

Reading from the wikipedia.

The HD seems to be intended for recording TV programmes.

Wikipedia says that the disk is made available "to Macintosh, Linux, and
Windows computers", but it does not say which protocols it supports. My
guess is that it will support samba, perhaps nfs. Gumb, you have to
check that.


--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
In reply to this post by gumb
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 12:59:35 CEST schrieb gumb:
> [...]
> I'd like to set Clementine to read/write to the music partition via the
> router, and also just access it as a regular partition on a connected
> device. I can't simply browse to these files in Dolphin (I'm on Leap
> 42.2 with KDE).
> [...]

Did you try to got to the "Network" location (left side bar) and then into the
folder "Samba Shares"? Alternatively, you could just use "avahi-browse -r
_smb._tcp" and "smbtree -b -N" on the command line to check whether your
router offers any Samba share.

Gruß
 Jan
--
Murphy's Law:  If anything can go wrong, it will.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Patrick Shanahan-2
On 16/07/17 13:35, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>
> I can play music files from a remote drive accessed via nfs.  but haven't
> tried one connected via router.  I don't know why the router access would
> be any different than another computer.  note that quality may suffer if
> the remote is wireless and signal is not strong.
>

I don't fully understand the technicalities, but this section on the
French version of the wikipedia page explains a little:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox#Routeur

Rough translation:

"The router ... is administrable from a management console via a webpage
on the Free website in the user account of the subscriber. The Freebox
recovers the router parameters once it synchronises to the DSLAM, which
requires restarting the box after each series of changes for them to be
taken into account, but this system allows remote administration even
without the relevant Freebox being connected.

"The management console of the Freebox router allows surveillance of the
network activity, the settings always being configured [here]. This web
console of the router box also allows configuration of the NAS and use
of the seedBox. It is accessible directly via the local IP address of
the Freebox."

I just changed my Freebox. With the previous (Crystal) version, the only
place I could find to configure it was by logging into my account on
Free's website. With the new Mini 4K box, I log into
http://mafreebox.freebox.fr/login.php and can view and configure a whole
load of stuff in their miniature 'OS'. Whether that still passes out to
the web and back to the box I don't know. It's possible to acquire a
domain and link it to the account so as to be able to configure the box
remotely.

Not sure it's of interest but here's a screenshot of the disk storage
management page:
http://paste.opensuse.org/9c39c3e9

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.-2
On 16/07/17 14:07, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
> The problem is that the router method is inflexible, you can not add to
> it support for some other protocol.
>
> We know that this router accepts ext3 disks and xfs, which is a
> surprise: the router I tried accepted FAT and NTFS, the doc said.

Free is quite favoured amongst free software enthusiasts and the geek
crowd, they're generally viewed as way more geek-friendly so support for
such things isn't unusual. What's slightly peeving is that I'd read on
some obscure support page for my previous router that the only common
linux filesystem supported was xfs, so when I purchased and formatted
this external disk I made the music partition xfs with a view to one day
trying to set it up. Now I've just exchanged the router for an
up-to-date version, and guess what - they now recommend ext4, and a
warning prompt pops up about xfs saying various features aren't
supported, although it still does basic read/write.

> We know you can access via http.
>
> Reading from the wikipedia.
>
> The HD seems to be intended for recording TV programmes.

That's talking about the built-in HD on the "Freebox Revolution",
currently the other choice of router available but an earlier generation
to the one I have. The French wikipedia page provides a whole lot more
useful and up-to-date detail including some charts.

> Wikipedia says that the disk is made available "to Macintosh, Linux, and
> Windows computers", but it does not say which protocols it supports. My
> guess is that it will support samba, perhaps nfs. Gumb, you have to
> check that.
>

I toyed with nfs a few years ago and couldn't get anywhere with it,
banging my head repeatedly against a brick wall. The support I got when
I posed questions here or elsewhere suggested things which simply didn't
work or were unavailable when I tried. A couple of years later I read
one telling comment somewhere or other, maybe on an official update,
saying that some of that core NFS functionality I'd been unable to get
to work had effectively been broken for a long time, haha. The
experience left me better inclined to strap my laptop to a rocket and
fire it at the sun than start tinkering around with that again.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Jan Ritzerfeld-3
On 16/07/17 14:07, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
>
> Did you try to got to the "Network" location (left side bar) and then into the
> folder "Samba Shares"? Alternatively, you could just use "avahi-browse -r
> _smb._tcp" and "smbtree -b -N" on the command line to check whether your
> router offers any Samba share.
>

If I do that within Dolphin, I get the message:

"Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be
caused by an enabled firewall."

I've never set up samba in any way before and was kind of hoping I'd
never have to. Is that or NFS the only likely way, or could there be a
more simple approach?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Jan Ritzerfeld-3
On 16/07/17 14:07, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
>
> Did you try to got to the "Network" location (left side bar) and then into the
> folder "Samba Shares"? Alternatively, you could just use "avahi-browse -r
> _smb._tcp" and "smbtree -b -N" on the command line to check whether your
> router offers any Samba share.
>

Trying to paste the first of those commands into Konsole, it behaves
weirdly, it activates the command after the -r and then pastes the
remainder onto the next prompt, resulting in a cnf error. Maybe it's the
wrapping - I tried typing it out manually with a space between the -r
and the underscore, same cnf error.

The second command produces the following:

smbtree -b -N
WORKGROUP
         \\FREEBOX                       Freebox Server

I just discovered some configuration options on the Freebox OS login for
FTP, and also for Windows or Mac shares. The Windows shares tells me to
browse to \\Freebox_Server. When I do that in Dolphin, it goes to
smb://freebox_server/ and gives the message:
Could not connect to host for smb://freebox_server/

Do I have to configure the firewall?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
On 16/07/17 16:04, gumb wrote:

> On 16/07/17 14:07, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
>>
>> Did you try to got to the "Network" location (left side bar) and then
>> into the
>> folder "Samba Shares"? Alternatively, you could just use "avahi-browse -r
>> _smb._tcp" and "smbtree -b -N" on the command line to check whether your
>> router offers any Samba share.
>>
>
> Trying to paste the first of those commands into Konsole, it behaves
> weirdly, it activates the command after the -r and then pastes the
> remainder onto the next prompt, resulting in a cnf error. Maybe it's the
> wrapping - I tried typing it out manually with a space between the -r
> and the underscore, same cnf error.
>
> The second command produces the following:
>
> smbtree -b -N
> WORKGROUP
>          \\FREEBOX                       Freebox Server
>
> I just discovered some configuration options on the Freebox OS login for
> FTP, and also for Windows or Mac shares. The Windows shares tells me to
> browse to \\Freebox_Server. When I do that in Dolphin, it goes to
> smb://freebox_server/ and gives the message:
> Could not connect to host for smb://freebox_server/
>
> Do I have to configure the firewall?
>

Sorry I'm answering to myself here as I'm working my way through this.
I've just booted the second PC, which is running AV Linux. I don't
believe there's any default firewall on there like with openSUSE. In
Thunar file manager, I clicked on Browse Network and immediately saw
'Freebox Server'. When I click on that I can access under my username,
'WORKGROUP' and my password for the FreeboxOS.

Now I need to figure out if all of this can actually be configured /
used in useful way.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
In reply to this post by gumb
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 15:20:36 CEST schrieb gumb:

> On 16/07/17 14:07, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
> > Did you try to got to the "Network" location (left side bar) and then into
> > the folder "Samba Shares"? Alternatively, you could just use
> > "avahi-browse -r _smb._tcp" and "smbtree -b -N" on the command line to
> > check whether your router offers any Samba share.
>
> If I do that within Dolphin, I get the message:
>
> "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be
> caused by an enabled firewall."

My router does NAT and has a built-in firewall, so I am not using the
SuSEfirewall2 anymore. You could try stopping it until the next reboot as root
by:
systemctl stop SuSEfirewall2


> I've never set up samba in any way before and was kind of hoping I'd
> never have to.

A samba client(!) hardly needs any setup.

> Is that or NFS the only likely way, or could there be a
> more simple approach?

Since you want Clementine on two different computers to be able to read and
write, I do not think there is a more simple solution than a network share.

Gruß
 Jan
--
Every man has the right to be wrong in his opinions, but no man has the right
to be wrong in his facts.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
In reply to this post by gumb
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 16:04:11 CEST schrieb gumb:
> On 16/07/17 14:07, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
> > Did you try to got to the "Network" location (left side bar) and then into
> > the folder "Samba Shares"? Alternatively, you could just use
> > "avahi-browse -r _smb._tcp" and "smbtree -b -N" on the command line to
> > check whether your router offers any Samba share.
>
> Trying to paste the first of those commands into Konsole, it behaves
> weirdly, it activates the command after the -r and then pastes the
> remainder onto the next prompt, resulting in a cnf error.

Yeah, sorry, I should have given each command a separate line.
avahi-browse -r _smb._tcp

> Maybe it's the
> wrapping - I tried typing it out manually with a space between the -r
> and the underscore, same cnf error.

You need the avahi-utils package installed for  the avahi-browse command.

> The second command produces the following:
>
> smbtree -b -N
> WORKGROUP
>          \\FREEBOX                       Freebox Server

Perfect, your freebox offers a samba share!

> I just discovered some configuration options on the Freebox OS login for
> FTP, and also for Windows or Mac shares. The Windows shares tells me to
> browse to \\Freebox_Server. When I do that in Dolphin, it goes to
> smb://freebox_server/ and gives the message:
> Could not connect to host for smb://freebox_server/

Well, smbtree tells you that the name of the server is \\FREEBOX and, thus,
the URL for Dolphin should be smb://freebox

> Do I have to configure the firewall?

I don't use the SuSEfirewall2 anymore.

Gruß
 Jan
--
God made the integers, all else is the work of man.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

John Andersen-2
In reply to this post by gumb
On 07/16/2017 03:59 AM, gumb wrote:
> Is there a simple way to make this work without getting into hairy network shares setups or other
> fancy configurations?

Fancy is what you want.

On this issue, I have several similar situations with plug-able storage, and network attached
devices, (NAS box, Western Digital Drives, etc.)  I've found that If I add an entry into fstab
for these things (and set it to user-mountable rather than automount) it behaves better when
accessed by Dolphin and other applications.  Previews are available, etc.  Really helps with
photo libraries

If I just use automount features of kde it is somewhat more limited and problematic.


--
After all is said and done, more is said than done.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 10:05:34 CEST schrieb John Andersen:
> [...]
> On this issue, I have several similar situations with plug-able storage, and
> network attached devices, (NAS box, Western Digital Drives, etc.)  I've
> found that If I add an entry into fstab for these things (and set it to
> user-mountable rather than automount) it behaves better when accessed by
> Dolphin and other applications.  Previews are available, etc.  Really helps
> with photo libraries

You could use systemd automount or the old autofs:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-06/msg00631.html

> If I just use automount features of kde it is somewhat more limited and
> problematic.

IMHO that's bcause accessing samba shares via smb:// URLs is KDE specific and
won't work with all applications.

Gruß
 Jan
--
Help Stamp Out and Eliminate Redundancy


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Jan Ritzerfeld-3
On 16/07/17 18:57, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:

>
> Perfect, your freebox offers a samba share!
>
>> I just discovered some configuration options on the Freebox OS login for
>> FTP, and also for Windows or Mac shares. The Windows shares tells me to
>> browse to \\Freebox_Server. When I do that in Dolphin, it goes to
>> smb://freebox_server/ and gives the message:
>> Could not connect to host for smb://freebox_server/
>
> Well, smbtree tells you that the name of the server is \\FREEBOX and, thus,
> the URL for Dolphin should be smb://freebox
>
>> Do I have to configure the firewall?
>
> I don't use the SuSEfirewall2 anymore.
>

I just tried disabling the firewall, but something still blocks access
to the samba share in Dolphin. Always the same error. Yet my other
non-openSUSE Linux box connected fine straight away in Thunar.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-07-16 19:54, gumb wrote:

> On 16/07/17 18:57, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
>>
>> Perfect, your freebox offers a samba share!
>>
>>> I just discovered some configuration options on the Freebox OS login for
>>> FTP, and also for Windows or Mac shares. The Windows shares tells me to
>>> browse to \\Freebox_Server. When I do that in Dolphin, it goes to
>>> smb://freebox_server/ and gives the message:
>>> Could not connect to host for smb://freebox_server/
>>
>> Well, smbtree tells you that the name of the server is \\FREEBOX and,
>> thus,
>> the URL for Dolphin should be smb://freebox
>>
>>> Do I have to configure the firewall?
>>
>> I don't use the SuSEfirewall2 anymore.
>>
>
> I just tried disabling the firewall, but something still blocks access
> to the samba share in Dolphin. Always the same error. Yet my other
> non-openSUSE Linux box connected fine straight away in Thunar.
You could use Thunar too.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
In reply to this post by gumb
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 19:54:37 CEST schrieb gumb:
> [...]
> I just tried disabling the firewall, but something still blocks access
> to the samba share in Dolphin.

Even if you enter smb://freebox in the address bar?

> Always the same error. Yet my other
> non-openSUSE Linux box connected fine straight away in Thunar.

What happens if you try to open smb://{IP address of your Freebox} in Dolphin?

Gruß
 Jan
--
They never remember when I'm right and never forget when I'm wrong.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Jan Ritzerfeld-3
On 16/07/17 19:34, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 10:05:34 CEST schrieb John Andersen:
>> [...]
>> On this issue, I have several similar situations with plug-able storage, and
>> network attached devices, (NAS box, Western Digital Drives, etc.)  I've
>> found that If I add an entry into fstab for these things (and set it to
>> user-mountable rather than automount) it behaves better when accessed by
>> Dolphin and other applications.  Previews are available, etc.  Really helps
>> with photo libraries
>
> You could use systemd automount or the old autofs:
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-06/msg00631.html
>
>> If I just use automount features of kde it is somewhat more limited and
>> problematic.
>
> IMHO that's bcause accessing samba shares via smb:// URLs is KDE specific and
> won't work with all applications.
>

Since my other box connects fine with no special setup, for the moment
I'd like to avoid having to create fstab entries. But in any case, I
can't get that far yet. Something just absolutely stands in the way of
making a connection in KDE. Doing some DuckDuckGoogling I'm starting to
stumble across various posts that suggest this is, and has been, a known
problem going back years.

I've just installed Smb4K v2.01 from KDE:Extra, which seems to work
miracles for others judging from some forum posts, but immediately upon
launching, where it tries to initiate a network scan, it comes up with
an error:
Retrieving the list of available domains failed

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered. Not only has this already stolen
half my weekend, but browsing through some of my music files on the
shared drive from the other machine, I see many of the directory and
filenames have now been inexplicably randomized. It could take weeks to
repair the damage.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
In reply to this post by Jan Ritzerfeld-3
On 16/07/17 22:18, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 19:54:37 CEST schrieb gumb:
>> [...]
>> I just tried disabling the firewall, but something still blocks access
>> to the samba share in Dolphin.
>
> Even if you enter smb://freebox in the address bar?

Yep, and even if I enter the string smb://freebox-server.local/ which is
what shows in Thunar on the other machine.

>> Always the same error. Yet my other
>> non-openSUSE Linux box connected fine straight away in Thunar.
>
> What happens if you try to open smb://{IP address of your Freebox} in Dolphin?
>

Aha, now we're getting somewhere. Yes that lists it straight away. Seems
a bit slow though, which is what I was warned of by the router's dialog
when confirming it was an xfs partition. And yet the other box doesn't
show these slowdowns, e.g. on directory listing.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 22:24:34 CEST schrieb gumb:

> On 16/07/17 22:18, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 19:54:37 CEST schrieb gumb:
> >> [...]
> >> I just tried disabling the firewall, but something still blocks access
> >> to the samba share in Dolphin.
> >
> > Even if you enter smb://freebox in the address bar?
>
> Yep, and even if I enter the string smb://freebox-server.local/ which is
> what shows in Thunar on the other machine.

So, there are two different names for your freebox server. The NetBIOS name  
"FREEBOX" and the mDNS host name "freebox-server".

> >> Always the same error. Yet my other
> >> non-openSUSE Linux box connected fine straight away in Thunar.
> >
> > What happens if you try to open smb://{IP address of your Freebox} in
> > Dolphin?
> Aha, now we're getting somewhere. Yes that lists it straight away.

Using smb://freebox-server.local/ is the same as smb://{IP address of your
Freebox} besides the mDNS host name resolution. Years ago, SuSEfirewall2
blocked the mDNS host name resolution:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security/2008-09/msg00011.html
So, I assume that "ping freebox-server.local" doesn't work for you.

> Seems
> a bit slow though, which is what I was warned of by the router's dialog
> when confirming it was an xfs partition. And yet the other box doesn't
> show these slowdowns, e.g. on directory listing.

Interesting point. Directory listing of samba shares seem to be somewhat slow
here, too.

Gruß
 Jan
--
It's hard to detect good luck, it looks so much like something you've earned.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: accessing music files on HDD plugged into router (French ISP "Free")

gumb
On 16/07/17 23:59, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:

>>> Even if you enter smb://freebox in the address bar?
>>
>> Yep, and even if I enter the string smb://freebox-server.local/ which is
>> what shows in Thunar on the other machine.
>
> So, there are two different names for your freebox server. The NetBIOS name
> "FREEBOX" and the mDNS host name "freebox-server".
>
>>>> Always the same error. Yet my other
>>>> non-openSUSE Linux box connected fine straight away in Thunar.
>>>
>>> What happens if you try to open smb://{IP address of your Freebox} in
>>> Dolphin?
>> Aha, now we're getting somewhere. Yes that lists it straight away.
>
> Using smb://freebox-server.local/ is the same as smb://{IP address of your
> Freebox} besides the mDNS host name resolution. Years ago, SuSEfirewall2
> blocked the mDNS host name resolution:
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security/2008-09/msg00011.html
> So, I assume that "ping freebox-server.local" doesn't work for you.

Your assumption is correct:
ping: unknown host freebox-server.local

Further examination of my files on the drive would suggest that it's the
long filenames that have not been truncated but simply massacred and
transformed into gobbledegook. I assume this is the tedious result of
samba using Windows Joliet or some-such misery?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

1234