Zypper cheat sheet

Tristan Miller
Dear all,

Can anyone point me to the editable source of the Zypper cheat sheets
at <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage#Cheat_sheet>?  I believe
I've identified some errors in the cheat sheets and want to correct
them, but I can't do that when all I have are the PDFs.

I tried posting on the discussion page at
<https://en.opensuse.org/File_talk:Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf> but I
doubt that it's being monitored by anyone.  The users who contributed
the PDFs, Digitaltomm (in CC) and Tomm-fa, don't seem to have been
active for many years.

Regards,
Tristan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  Tristan Miller

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Tristan Miller <[hidden email]> [07-19-17 15:05]:

> Dear all,
>
> Can anyone point me to the editable source of the Zypper cheat sheets
> at <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage#Cheat_sheet>?  I believe
> I've identified some errors in the cheat sheets and want to correct
> them, but I can't do that when all I have are the PDFs.
>
> I tried posting on the discussion page at
> <https://en.opensuse.org/File_talk:Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf> but I
> doubt that it's being monitored by anyone.  The users who contributed
> the PDFs, Digitaltomm (in CC) and Tomm-fa, don't seem to have been
> active for many years.

edit the pdf, libreoffice will.

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> [07-19-17 17:02]:

> * Tristan Miller <[hidden email]> [07-19-17 15:05]:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Can anyone point me to the editable source of the Zypper cheat sheets
> > at <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage#Cheat_sheet>?  I believe
> > I've identified some errors in the cheat sheets and want to correct
> > them, but I can't do that when all I have are the PDFs.
> >
> > I tried posting on the discussion page at
> > <https://en.opensuse.org/File_talk:Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf> but I
> > doubt that it's being monitored by anyone.  The users who contributed
> > the PDFs, Digitaltomm (in CC) and Tomm-fa, don't seem to have been
> > active for many years.
>

> edit the pdf, libreoffice will.

or convert the pdf to another format you prefer.

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Tristan Miller
Greetings.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:01:11 -0400, Patrick Shanahan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> edit the pdf, libreoffice will.

Oh, I see you are right -- LibreOffice Draw opens it as if it were a
drawing.  I suppose I could do it this way if the source isn't
available.  (I am assuming that the PDF was generated from another
format.)

Regards,
Tristan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  Tristan Miller
Free Software developer, ferret herder, logologist
             https://logological.org/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Tristan Miller <[hidden email]> [07-19-17 17:27]:

> Greetings.
>
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:01:11 -0400, Patrick Shanahan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > edit the pdf, libreoffice will.
>
> Oh, I see you are right -- LibreOffice Draw opens it as if it were a
> drawing.  I suppose I could do it this way if the source isn't
> available.  (I am assuming that the PDF was generated from another
> format.)

or pdf2text or pdf2ps or pdf2html or ....[A

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-07-20 00:30, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Tristan Miller <[hidden email]> [07-19-17 17:27]:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:01:11 -0400, Patrick Shanahan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> edit the pdf, libreoffice will.
>>
>> Oh, I see you are right -- LibreOffice Draw opens it as if it were a
>> drawing.  I suppose I could do it this way if the source isn't
>> available.  (I am assuming that the PDF was generated from another
>> format.)
>
> or pdf2text or pdf2ps or pdf2html or ....[A
No, for this job you really need the original source. Doing what you
suggest means starting from almost scratch.

I can only see that the PDF producer is listed as "cairo 1.12.2". Isn't
that the engine LO uses?

But searching via google for the file "Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf" I find
other sources for it, one at github, marketing materials something by
Carlos Ribeiro. The source document could be there. I see some .svg
files around there, but I have no idea about the licensing. Some other
person familiar with git should continue the search ;-)

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Tristan Miller
Greetings.

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 01:15:04 +0200, "Carlos E. R."
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But searching via google for the file "Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf" I
> find other sources for it, one at github, marketing materials
> something by Carlos Ribeiro. The source document could be there. I
> see some .svg files around there, but I have no idea about the
> licensing. Some other person familiar with git should continue the
> search ;-)

I guess you are talking about
<https://github.com/openSUSE/artwork/tree/master/Marketing
Materials/Cheat Cube/Zypper> which is actually a directory in the
official, CC BY-SA–licensed openSUSE artwork repository.  Unfortunately
the sources don't seem to be there either.  (The SVG file there is for
the "cheat cube", not the A4- and letter-size cheat sheets.)

Regards,
Tristan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  Tristan Miller
Free Software developer, ferret herder, logologist
             https://logological.org/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Brian K. White
On 7/19/2017 3:03 PM, Tristan Miller wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Can anyone point me to the editable source of the Zypper cheat sheets
> at <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage#Cheat_sheet>?  I believe
> I've identified some errors in the cheat sheets and want to correct
> them, but I can't do that when all I have are the PDFs.
>
> I tried posting on the discussion page at
> <https://en.opensuse.org/File_talk:Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf> but I
> doubt that it's being monitored by anyone.  The users who contributed
> the PDFs, Digitaltomm (in CC) and Tomm-fa, don't seem to have been
> active for many years.
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

Perhaps a starting point:

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Brian K. White
On 7/20/2017 4:58 PM, Brian K. White wrote:

> On 7/19/2017 3:03 PM, Tristan Miller wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Can anyone point me to the editable source of the Zypper cheat sheets
>> at <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage#Cheat_sheet>?  I believe
>> I've identified some errors in the cheat sheets and want to correct
>> them, but I can't do that when all I have are the PDFs.
>>
>> I tried posting on the discussion page at
>> <https://en.opensuse.org/File_talk:Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf> but I
>> doubt that it's being monitored by anyone.  The users who contributed
>> the PDFs, Digitaltomm (in CC) and Tomm-fa, don't seem to have been
>> active for many years.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tristan
>>

> Perhaps a starting point:

Or the beginning of the thread, sorry...

bkw

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Brian K. White
On 7/20/2017 4:59 PM, Brian K. White wrote:

> On 7/20/2017 4:58 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
>> On 7/19/2017 3:03 PM, Tristan Miller wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me to the editable source of the Zypper cheat sheets
>>> at <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage#Cheat_sheet>?  I believe
>>> I've identified some errors in the cheat sheets and want to correct
>>> them, but I can't do that when all I have are the PDFs.
>>>
>>> I tried posting on the discussion page at
>>> <https://en.opensuse.org/File_talk:Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdf> but I
>>> doubt that it's being monitored by anyone.  The users who contributed
>>> the PDFs, Digitaltomm (in CC) and Tomm-fa, don't seem to have been
>>> active for many years.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tristan
>>>

>> Perhaps a starting point:
>
> Or the beginning of the thread, sorry...

Sounds like from the mention of .svg, maybe he did actually hand craft
them as graphics, rather than a document.

Even svg wouldn't be a good enough "source" even if you did want to
continue working with it as a graphic, because you would want *at least*
the exact original fonts. The layers and other work components would be
at least nice too. So even as a graphic you want the .xcf or .psd, etc.

Otherwise, if you need to edit any text at all, then the best you can do
is start with the svg just to get the scalable version of the graphics,
and the replace *all* of the text with new text, just so that it all
uses the same new font from your machine, and the same font settings for
exact size, boldness, etc. You'd never get the look to exactly match
otherwise.

Probably not only better but easier to just re-create the whole thing
manually in libereoffic presenter or writer, and then you have a
maintainable "document".

Unless "Juan" can be found and he can supply such source that he just
never mentioned originally.

--
bkw

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

Brian K. White
On 7/20/2017 5:16 PM, Brian K. White wrote:

> On 7/20/2017 4:59 PM, Brian K. White wrote:

>>> Perhaps a starting point:
>>
>> Or the beginning of the thread, sorry...

> Sounds like from the mention of .svg, maybe he did actually hand craft
> them as graphics, rather than a document.
>
> Even svg wouldn't be a good enough "source" even if you did want to
> continue working with it as a graphic, because you would want *at least*
> the exact original fonts. The layers and other work components would be
> at least nice too. So even as a graphic you want the .xcf or .psd, etc.
>
> Otherwise, if you need to edit any text at all, then the best you can do
> is start with the svg just to get the scalable version of the graphics,
> and the replace *all* of the text with new text, just so that it all
> uses the same new font from your machine, and the same font settings for
> exact size, boldness, etc. You'd never get the look to exactly match
> otherwise.
>
> Probably not only better but easier to just re-create the whole thing
> manually in libereoffic presenter or writer, and then you have a
> maintainable "document".
>
> Unless "Juan" can be found and he can supply such source that he just
> never mentioned originally.

Possible method of contact, the "send email" link here:

http://opensuse.14.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=user_nodes&user=170061

--
bkw

Re: Zypper cheat sheet

On 2017-07-20 23:16, Brian K. White wrote:
> On 7/20/2017 4:59 PM, Brian K. White wrote:

>>> Perhaps a starting point:
>>
>> Or the beginning of the thread, sorry...

> Sounds like from the mention of .svg, maybe he did actually hand craft
> them as graphics, rather than a document.
>
> Even svg wouldn't be a good enough "source" even if you did want to
> continue working with it as a graphic, because you would want *at least*
> the exact original fonts. The layers and other work components would be
> at least nice too. So even as a graphic you want the .xcf or .psd, etc.
I guess it could be a LO graphic.