Zypper Cheat Sheet

Juan De Vincenzo
As the newcomer I am to OpenSUSE, I found myself frequently consulting
the zypper man pages, as well as the Zypper Usage section on the
OpenSUSE site at [0], so I thought it would be nice to have a cheat
sheet to consult when I had doubts, and since I looked for one and
couldn't find it, I created one of my own to have all the data
together. And of course, I want to share this with all of you, let me
know what you think of it. I uploaded it to Google Docs, here are the
links:

page 1 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_NDkzNGU0ZDEtOTc0Mi00MTg0LTk5YTQtOTNiMmQ5NTE2MTFj&hl=en

page 2 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_MmQ3MDMwM2EtZDEzNS00YWI1LThlN2UtYWYzY2Q2NTJjZjZj&hl=en

They are on pdf format since google docs wouldn't allow me to upload
the .svg files.

Also, please let me know if for any reason I infringed any licenses or
anything, since as you can see I included the OpenSUSE logo. Hope it
is ok.

Regards,
Juan

[0]http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

jdd@dodin.org
Juan De Vincenzo a écrit :
> As the newcomer I am to OpenSUSE, I found myself frequently consulting
> the zypper man pages, as well as the Zypper Usage section on the
> OpenSUSE site at [0], so I thought it would be nice to have a cheat
> sheet to consult when I had doubts, and since I looked for one and
> couldn't find it, I created one of my own to have all the data
> together. And of course, I want to share this with all of you, let me
> know what you think of it. I uploaded it to Google Docs, here are the
> links:

I really like this, these pages (after proofreading, what I'm not able
to do) should be included on the zypper page!

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Richard Creighton
On Wed August 12 2009 3:13:46 am Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> As the newcomer I am to OpenSUSE, I found myself frequently consulting
> the zypper man pages, as well as the Zypper Usage section on the
> OpenSUSE site at [0], so I thought it would be nice to have a cheat
> sheet to consult when I had doubts, and since I looked for one and
> couldn't find it, I created one of my own to have all the data
> together. And of course, I want to share this with all of you, let me
> know what you think of it. I uploaded it to Google Docs, here are the
> links:
>
> page 1 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_NDkzNGU0ZDEtOTc0Mi00MTg0LTk5YTQtOTNiMmQ5NTE2MTFj&hl=en
>
> page 2 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_MmQ3MDMwM2EtZDEzNS00YWI1LThlN2UtYWYzY2Q2NTJjZjZj&hl=en

Would that all "Newcomers" would be so thoughtful :)

Frankly, While the MAN pages are a tremendous help for Linux and many programs, IN ADDITION to the MAN pages, the format you have so thoughtfully provided is a welcome addition.   If more/all of the major system administration chores had similar 'Cheat Sheets', I think it would really help.   One of the deficiencies of MAN pages is that they are written by 'technocrats', eg, the author of the program (in many cases), who *knows* how to use the program and is well versed in most of the support functions and programs that a 'newbie' often knows little or nothing about.    Your 'Cheat Sheet' provided a concise listing of many of the most needed uses of (in this case) ZYPPER *and* enough examples of its' use to accomplish the stated use to allow a user of the sheet to 'get the idea' about how to use the command and its' switches.

So, You're Hired!!!   There are several hundred commands used by administrators of systems that *should* have similar 'Cheat Sheets' developed to supplement, not replace, the MAN pages.   The sheets you developed are immediately useful with little assumption of knowledge a new user might not have, but desperately needs.

Take on 'FSCK' and maybe 'BADBLOCKS' and um, most of what is in /sbin <grin>.   Seriously, In 'Doze, most people know about 'ChkDsk C:', and stuff like that, but have no clue about how to do simple system maintenance in their new Linux environment.   "Seasoned" Linux admins *know* all about all of these commands, (don't they?) but 'Newbies' won't make it to 'seasoned' if their systems aren't maintained, it will eventually crash and burn and they will go back to 'Doze.

Thanks for your efforts....

Richard

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Dave Howorth
Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> As the newcomer I am to OpenSUSE, I found myself frequently consulting
> the zypper man pages, as well as the Zypper Usage section on the
> OpenSUSE site at [0], so I thought it would be nice to have a cheat
> sheet to consult when I had doubts, and since I looked for one and
> couldn't find it, I created one of my own to have all the data
> together. And of course, I want to share this with all of you, let me
> know what you think of it. I uploaded it to Google Docs, here are the
> links:
>
> page 1 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_NDkzNGU0ZDEtOTc0Mi00MTg0LTk5YTQtOTNiMmQ5NTE2MTFj&hl=en
>
> page 2 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_MmQ3MDMwM2EtZDEzNS00YWI1LThlN2UtYWYzY2Q2NTJjZjZj&hl=en
>
> They are on pdf format since google docs wouldn't allow me to upload
> the .svg files.

These sound really useful. Could you please post them somewhere as PDF
documents (i.e. http//..../xxx.pdf ), not buried under Google's Web API.

(Since Google started mangling links in searches, I no longer trust them
to do anything other than serve plain files - the way my machine is set
up the links you gave resolve into "google isn't willing to talk to you")

Thanks, Dave

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Juan De Vincenzo
They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten times.

http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html

Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
of my own to do it.

Regards,
Juan

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Dave Howorth<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
>> As the newcomer I am to OpenSUSE, I found myself frequently consulting
>> the zypper man pages, as well as the Zypper Usage section on the
>> OpenSUSE site at [0], so I thought it would be nice to have a cheat
>> sheet to consult when I had doubts, and since I looked for one and
>> couldn't find it, I created one of my own to have all the data
>> together. And of course, I want to share this with all of you, let me
>> know what you think of it. I uploaded it to Google Docs, here are the
>> links:
>>
>> page 1 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_NDkzNGU0ZDEtOTc0Mi00MTg0LTk5YTQtOTNiMmQ5NTE2MTFj&hl=en
>>
>> page 2 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_MmQ3MDMwM2EtZDEzNS00YWI1LThlN2UtYWYzY2Q2NTJjZjZj&hl=en
>>
>> They are on pdf format since google docs wouldn't allow me to upload
>> the .svg files.
>
> These sound really useful. Could you please post them somewhere as PDF
> documents (i.e. http//..../xxx.pdf ), not buried under Google's Web API.
>
> (Since Google started mangling links in searches, I no longer trust them
> to do anything other than serve plain files - the way my machine is set
> up the links you gave resolve into "google isn't willing to talk to you")
>
> Thanks, Dave

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Peter Van Lone
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Juan De
Vincenzo<[hidden email]> wrote:
> They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten times.

the original links were perfect -- anyone who wants to access them can
download from those links, and then move the files to wherever they
would like.

Thank you for your efforts on these, they are very nicely done.

Peter

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Jim Henderson-4
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:41:42 -0300, Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
> willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server of
> my own to do it.

Why not create a Google Page (using Google Sites or Google Pages) for
them?

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

jdd@dodin.org
Juan De Vincenzo a écrit :
> They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten times.
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html
>
> Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
> willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
> of my own to do it.

try http://dl.free.fr

if you can"t do from your place, notify me I will do.

there they can stay as long as somebody dl one

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.-3
In <[hidden email]>, Juan De
Vincenzo wrote:
>They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten
> times.

I was one of the ten.

>http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
>http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html
>
>Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
>willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
>of my own to do it.

I'll host.  Uploaded here: <http://iguanasuicide.net/node/9>.  I've credited
you, but let me know if you are uncomfortable with anything on the page.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.           ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]             ((_/)o o(\_))

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Juan De Vincenzo
Perfect, thanks a lot! I think that would do. In the meantime I'll be
working on a site of my own. This might be a good excuse to go back to
the website I left abandoned. =)

@ jdd, thanks a lot as well, when this last e-mail arrived I was
struggling with my poor french on the site you sent me. =P

And btw, google sites didn't let me upload the pdfs there either.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith
Jr.<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In <[hidden email]>, Juan De
> Vincenzo wrote:
>>They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten
>> times.
>
> I was one of the ten.
>
>>http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
>>http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html
>>
>>Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
>>willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
>>of my own to do it.
>
> I'll host.  Uploaded here: <http://iguanasuicide.net/node/9>.  I've credited
> you, but let me know if you are uncomfortable with anything on the page.
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                   ,= ,-_-. =.
> [hidden email]                   ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy         `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/                    \_/

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Jim Henderson-4
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:13:00 -0300, Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> And btw, google sites didn't let me upload the pdfs there either.

That's odd, I've not had a problem with that myself....But glad you got
it hosted - looks like a very useful resource. :-)

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Roman Bysh
Dave Howorth wrote:

> Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
>
>> As the newcomer I am to OpenSUSE, I found myself frequently consulting
>> the zypper man pages, as well as the Zypper Usage section on the
>> OpenSUSE site at [0], so I thought it would be nice to have a cheat
>> sheet to consult when I had doubts, and since I looked for one and
>> couldn't find it, I created one of my own to have all the data
>> together. And of course, I want to share this with all of you, let me
>> know what you think of it. I uploaded it to Google Docs, here are the
>> links:
>>
>> page 1 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_NDkzNGU0ZDEtOTc0Mi00MTg0LTk5YTQtOTNiMmQ5NTE2MTFj&hl=en
>>
>> page 2 --> http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-168RiY7i5_MmQ3MDMwM2EtZDEzNS00YWI1LThlN2UtYWYzY2Q2NTJjZjZj&hl=en
>>
>> They are on pdf format since google docs wouldn't allow me to upload
>> the .svg files.
>>

> These sound really useful. Could you please post them somewhere as PDF
> documents (i.e. http//..../xxx.pdf ), not buried under Google's Web API.
>
> (Since Google started mangling links in searches, I no longer trust them
> to do anything other than serve plain files - the way my machine is set
> up the links you gave resolve into "google isn't willing to talk to you")
>
> Thanks, Dave

With the user's permission, I think the zypper cheat sheets should be
added to the openSUSE website.

Roman

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Peter Van Lone
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Juan De
Vincenzo<[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

> And btw, google sites didn't let me upload the pdfs there either.

what was wrong with the google docs location -- it seemed to function perfectly?

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

ne...-2
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:41, Juan De Vincenzo<[hidden email]> wrote:
> They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten times.
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html
>
> Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
> willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
> of my own to do it.
The best place for this would be off the opensuse.org site. Try getting in
touch with the admin, he should be able to help.

ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Samuel Goldwyn  - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be
right, but I am never wrong." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
ne... pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:41, Juan De Vincenzo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten times.
>>
>> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
>> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html
>>
>> Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
>> willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
>> of my own to do it.
> The best place for this would be off the opensuse.org site. Try getting in
> touch with the admin, he should be able to help.
>
> ne...

The wiki would be an excellent place for this.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Juan De Vincenzo
I sent an e-mail to the webmaster a couple of minutes ago. Let's see
what he says.

Regards,
Juan

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Ken Schneider -
openSUSE<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ne... pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 16:41, Juan De Vincenzo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> They are up in rapidshare now, only they can be downloaded a max of ten times.
>>>
>>> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601561/zypper_cheat_sheet_1.pdf.html
>>> http://rapidshare.com/files/266601562/zypper_cheat_sheet_2.pdf.html
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a good place to upload the files where anyone
>>> willing to download them can do it? I currently do not have a server
>>> of my own to do it.
>> The best place for this would be off the opensuse.org site. Try getting in
>> touch with the admin, he should be able to help.
>>
>> ne...
>
> The wiki would be an excellent place for this.
>
> --
> Ken Schneider
> SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

gregfreemyer
Juan and all,

I agree with everyone that these are great.  The pdf's may be a little
large for US 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  I think A4 is slightly larger and you
went right out to the edge.

More importantly, it reminds me I think a new CLI feature / script is
needed to work in conjunction with zypper dup.

At least for me, the most error prone aspect of doing a dist upgrade
this way to getting the repositories correct.

A simple script (dist_upgrade_to_factory) that added the correct
repositories and disabled the old repositories would be great.  And
then as a last step it could call zypper dup.

If the variation on repository name is too great, then it could at
least have a simple loop the printed each repository and let the user
select yes / no for disabling them.

If others agree, I can add this to openfate.

Greg

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Juan De Vincenzo
I have just uploaded the pdfs here <http://iguanasuicide.net/node/10>,
along with a letter sized version. Thanks Greg for pointing that out,
and thanks again Stephen for hosting the files.

In regards to the script for the upgrade, sounds really nice.

Regards,
Juan

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Greg Freemyer<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan and all,
>
> I agree with everyone that these are great.  The pdf's may be a little
> large for US 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  I think A4 is slightly larger and you
> went right out to the edge.
>
> More importantly, it reminds me I think a new CLI feature / script is
> needed to work in conjunction with zypper dup.
>
> At least for me, the most error prone aspect of doing a dist upgrade
> this way to getting the repositories correct.
>
> A simple script (dist_upgrade_to_factory) that added the correct
> repositories and disabled the old repositories would be great.  And
> then as a last step it could call zypper dup.
>
> If the variation on repository name is too great, then it could at
> least have a simple loop the printed each repository and let the user
> select yes / no for disabling them.
>
> If others agree, I can add this to openfate.
>
> Greg

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Rajko M.
On Wednesday 12 August 2009 12:30:44 pm Juan De Vincenzo wrote:

> I sent an e-mail to the webmaster a couple of minutes ago. Let's see
> what he says.

Hi Juan,

http://en.opensuse.org is wiki, so anybody with Novell account can edit it.
Novell account is just replacement for common wiki login, like one on
Wikipedia.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/

Re: Zypper Cheat Sheet

gregfreemyer
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Rajko M.<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 August 2009 12:30:44 pm Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
>
>> I sent an e-mail to the webmaster a couple of minutes ago. Let's see
>> what he says.
>
> Hi Juan,
>
> http://en.opensuse.org is wiki, so anybody with Novell account can edit it.
> Novell account is just replacement for common wiki login, like one on
> Wikipedia.
>
> --
> Regards, Rajko

Rajko,

Did you look at the pdf's he posted.  Much cooler than anything that
can be done on a wiki.  Obviously a link can be put on the wiki, but
the pdfs have to hosted somewhere.

Greg