YaST software update - optional not optional?

YaST software update - optional not optional?

Dave Howorth-3
I'm looking at the YaST2 graphical update screen and as well as a bunch
of recommended updates there are two optional updates, one for 'pam'
and one for 'mysql-connector-spp'. They've been there before and I had
been ignoring them.

Today I notice that the update for 'pam' is marked 'Install' and YaST
won't let me mark it 'Do Not Install', though it will let me mark it
'Taboo'.

Does anybody understand what is going on, or how to get it let me not
install the update?

Re: YaST software update - optional not optional?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [12-23-17 15:19]:

> I'm looking at the YaST2 graphical update screen and as well as a bunch
> of recommended updates there are two optional updates, one for 'pam'
> and one for 'mysql-connector-spp'. They've been there before and I had
> been ignoring them.
>
> Today I notice that the update for 'pam' is marked 'Install' and YaST
> won't let me mark it 'Do Not Install', though it will let me mark it
> 'Taboo'.
>
> Does anybody understand what is going on, or how to get it let me not
> install the update?

zypper al pam

Re: YaST software update - optional not optional?

Dave Howorth-3
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 16:01:06 -0500
Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [12-23-17 15:19]:
> > I'm looking at the YaST2 graphical update screen and as well as a
> > bunch of recommended updates there are two optional updates, one
> > for 'pam' and one for 'mysql-connector-spp'. They've been there
> > before and I had been ignoring them.
> >
> > Today I notice that the update for 'pam' is marked 'Install' and
> > YaST won't let me mark it 'Do Not Install', though it will let me
> > mark it 'Taboo'.
> >
> > Does anybody understand what is going on, or how to get it let me
> > not install the update?
>
> zypper al pam

Thanks, my question was actually meant to be about why the YaST
interface wasn't working.

Re: YaST software update - optional not optional?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [12-27-17 10:03]:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 16:01:06 -0500
> Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > * Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [12-23-17 15:19]:
> > > I'm looking at the YaST2 graphical update screen and as well as a
> > > bunch of recommended updates there are two optional updates, one
> > > for 'pam' and one for 'mysql-connector-spp'. They've been there
> > > before and I had been ignoring them.
> > >
> > > Today I notice that the update for 'pam' is marked 'Install' and
> > > YaST won't let me mark it 'Do Not Install', though it will let me
> > > mark it 'Taboo'.
> > >
> > > Does anybody understand what is going on, or how to get it let me
> > > not install the update?
> >
> > zypper al pam
>
> Thanks, my question was actually meant to be about why the YaST
> interface wasn't working.

don't have any idea where software is involved.  I have used yast verrry
sparingly in the past 10 years "for software install/update".  and zypper
has such a good interface and control mechanism, ....