YaST remote ussage

Re: YaST remote ussage

Richard Brown
On 26 January 2018 at 20:51, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I often use YaST via ssh -X from another computer. YaST would tittle the
> windows appropriately so that it would be know that it was not a local
> session, and say which machine it was.
>
> No longer.
>
> in leap 42.3 YaST on remote doesn't label itself. Bug? Feature?
>
> - -- Cheers
>
>         Carlos E. R.
>         (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)

Why waste bandwidth, increase latency, and add a measurable element of
risk to your systems security by using "ssh -X" and why not instead
just use plain "ssh"?

YaST has full text mode support for your use case.

Re: YaST remote ussage

Per Jessen
Richard Brown wrote:

> On 26 January 2018 at 20:51, Carlos E. R.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I often use YaST via ssh -X from another computer. YaST would tittle
>> the windows appropriately so that it would be know that it was not a
>> local session, and say which machine it was.
>>
>> No longer.
>>
>> in leap 42.3 YaST on remote doesn't label itself. Bug? Feature?
>>
>> - -- Cheers
>>
>>         Carlos E. R.
>>         (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)
>
> Why waste bandwidth, increase latency, and add a measurable element of
> risk to your systems security by using "ssh -X" and why not instead
> just use plain "ssh"?

On a local, fully contained network, why on earth not?

> YaST has full text mode support for your use case.

Yup, I use it all the time, but Carlos' question is perfectly valid.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: YaST remote ussage

jdd@dodin.org
Le 27/01/2018 à 20:00, Richard Brown a écrit :

> YaST has full text mode support for your use case.

very useful, but not as friendly as the qt gui :-(

jdd

--
http://dodin.org

Re: YaST remote ussage

On 2018-01-27 20:00, Richard Brown wrote:
> On 26 January 2018 at 20:51, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I often use YaST via ssh -X from another computer. YaST would tittle the
>> windows appropriately so that it would be know that it was not a local
>> session, and say which machine it was.
>>
>> No longer.
>>
>> in leap 42.3 YaST on remote doesn't label itself. Bug? Feature?

> Why waste bandwidth, increase latency, and add a measurable element of
> risk to your systems security by using "ssh -X" and why not instead
> just use plain "ssh"?
>
> YaST has full text mode support for your use case.

This is a gigabit LAN.

I want graphics and mouse, this is the XXI century.

What risk?  Should I use -Y instead?

I use text mode yast when I must, but certainly not when I can use
graphics. On other systems they have to transmit the whole desktop, on
Unix/Linux the X is a client/server environment natively and we can
transmit a single application.

Re: YaST remote ussage

Anton Aylward-2
On 27/01/18 02:00 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
> Why waste bandwidth, increase latency, and add a measurable element of
> risk to your systems security by using "ssh -X" and why not instead
> just use plain "ssh"?
>
> YaST has full text mode support for your use case.

In fact why consume bandwidth will  all that ncurses drawing that is dependent
on proper teminfo set up and the passing of the correct ENV settings for the
terminal you are emulating.?

Why not just forget YaST and do it all CLI?

Push this through to its logical conclusion, eh?

Real System Administrators are in the same realm of existence as Real Programmers:
https://xkcd.com/378/
--
         A: Yes.
     >   Q: Are you sure?
     >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
     >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: YaST remote ussage

jdd@dodin.org
Le 28/01/2018 à 17:10, Anton Aylward a écrit :

> Real System Administrators are in the same realm of existence as Real Programmers:
> https://xkcd.com/378/

for french readers

http://www.commitstrip.com/fr/2016/04/25/not-even-for-all-the-gold-in-the-world/

only the home page is in english :-)