Wrong permissions VirtualBox

Knurpht-openSUSE
Hi,

Suddenly my VirtualBox instance wouldn't start, the message being

VirtualBox: Effective UID is not root

I remembered seeing this years ago, where the culprit was that /usr/lib/
virtualbox/VirtualBox needed 4755 as permissions. The actual perms:

-rwxr-x--- 1 root vboxusers   158320 10 jan 00:34 VirtualBox

Did a 'chmod 4755' on it and now everything is back to normal.
Anybody else seeing this? If so, I'll file a bugreport.
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Wrong permissions VirtualBox

Bruno Friedmann-2
On lundi, 15 janvier 2018 17.25:38 h CET Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suddenly my VirtualBox instance wouldn't start, the message being
>
> VirtualBox: Effective UID is not root
>
> I remembered seeing this years ago, where the culprit was that /usr/lib/
> virtualbox/VirtualBox needed 4755 as permissions. The actual perms:
>
> -rwxr-x--- 1 root vboxusers   158320 10 jan 00:34 VirtualBox
>
> Did a 'chmod 4755' on it and now everything is back to normal.
> Anybody else seeing this? If so, I'll file a bugreport.

I've put my user in vboxusers group, as I found it more elegant ;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Op maandag 15 januari 2018 18:35:47 CET schreef Bruno Friedmann:

> On lundi, 15 janvier 2018 17.25:38 h CET Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Suddenly my VirtualBox instance wouldn't start, the message being
> >
> > VirtualBox: Effective UID is not root
> >
> > I remembered seeing this years ago, where the culprit was that /usr/lib/
> > virtualbox/VirtualBox needed 4755 as permissions. The actual perms:
> >
> > -rwxr-x--- 1 root vboxusers   158320 10 jan 00:34 VirtualBox
> >
> > Did a 'chmod 4755' on it and now everything is back to normal.
> > Anybody else seeing this? If so, I'll file a bugreport.
>
> I've put my user in vboxusers group, as I found it more elegant ;-)

My user *is* in the vboxusers group.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Wrong permissions VirtualBox

Larry Finger
On 01/15/2018 11:37 AM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> Op maandag 15 januari 2018 18:35:47 CET schreef Bruno Friedmann:
>> On lundi, 15 janvier 2018 17.25:38 h CET Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Suddenly my VirtualBox instance wouldn't start, the message being
>>>
>>> VirtualBox: Effective UID is not root
>>>
>>> I remembered seeing this years ago, where the culprit was that /usr/lib/
>>> virtualbox/VirtualBox needed 4755 as permissions. The actual perms:
>>>
>>> -rwxr-x--- 1 root vboxusers   158320 10 jan 00:34 VirtualBox
>>>
>>> Did a 'chmod 4755' on it and now everything is back to normal.
>>> Anybody else seeing this? If so, I'll file a bugreport.
>>
>> I've put my user in vboxusers group, as I found it more elegant ;-)
>
> My user *is* in the vboxusers group.

Your file has permissions 0750, but the spec file calls for 0755. The latter
works, but the former does not. I do not understand that as 0750 should allow
read and execution for the vboxuers group. Note that  setting SUID in the spec
file would cause a build failure.

Please file a bug report as that will give us a more permanent location for the
info. When you do, please post the output of the command "grep  -r VirtualBox
/etc/permissions*"

Thanks,

Larry

Op maandag 15 januari 2018 19:40:52 CET schreef Larry Finger:

> On 01/15/2018 11:37 AM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> >> I've put my user in vboxusers group, as I found it more elegant ;-)
> >
> > My user *is* in the vboxusers group.
>
> Your file has permissions 07 acc50, but the spec file calls for 0755. The
latter

> works, but the former does not. I do not understand that as 0750 should
> allow read and execution for the vboxuers group. Note that  setting SUID in
> the spec file would cause a build failure.
>
> Please file a bug report as that will give us a more permanent location for
> the info. When you do, please post the output of the command "grep  -r
> VirtualBox /etc/permissions*"
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Larry, I have my doubts whether this indeed is a bug, or related to my
rearranging/merging some user accounts. Will remove the Vbox packages and
reinstall. In the past I've seen messages re. changing perms of Vbox. Will
report back. If the issue reappears, I'll report a bug.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Wrong permissions VirtualBox

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op maandag 15 januari 2018 19:40:52 CET schreef Larry Finger:

> On 01/15/2018 11:37 AM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> >> I've put my user in vboxusers group, as I found it more elegant ;-)
> >
> > My user *is* in the vboxusers group.
>
> Your file has permissions 0750, but the spec file calls for 0755. The latter
> works, but the former does not. I do not understand that as 0750 should
> allow read and execution for the vboxuers group. Note that  setting SUID in
> the spec file would cause a build failure.
>
> Please file a bug report as that will give us a more permanent location for
> the info. When you do, please post the output of the command "grep  -r
> VirtualBox /etc/permissions*"
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry
BTW: the grep command returns nothing.

On 01/15/2018 12:51 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> Op maandag 15 januari 2018 19:40:52 CET schreef Larry Finger:
>>
>> Please file a bug report as that will give us a more permanent location for
>> the info. When you do, please post the output of the command "grep  -r
>> VirtualBox /etc/permissions*"
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Larry
> BTW: the grep command returns nothing.

Interesting. Is package "permissions" installed on your system?

Larry

Op maandag 15 januari 2018 20:27:41 CET schreef Larry Finger:

> On 01/15/2018 12:51 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
> > Op maandag 15 januari 2018 19:40:52 CET schreef Larry Finger:
> >> Please file a bug report as that will give us a more permanent location
> >> for
> >> the info. When you do, please post the output of the command "grep  -r
> >> VirtualBox /etc/permissions*"
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > BTW: the grep command returns nothing.
>
> Interesting. Is package "permissions" installed on your system?
>
> Larry
Yes, it's installed.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Wrong permissions VirtualBox

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

Am Montag, 15. Januar 2018 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:

> Op maandag 15 januari 2018 20:27:41 CET schreef Larry Finger:
> > >
> > > BTW: the grep command returns nothing.
> >
> > Interesting. Is package "permissions" installed on your system?
>
> Yes, it's installed.

Uninstalling it would be hard - it's required by pam, shadow and some
more core packages ;-)

rpm -V permissions   please - if the grep returns nothing, your
/etc/permissios.{easy,secure,paranoid} are brobably broken. If rpm -V
lists one of these files as modified, you might want to reinstall the
permissions package.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
> > [Angabe des Realname] Weil das hier so üblich ist.
> Nur weil etwas üblich ist, muss es noch lange nicht gut sein.
:-)) Nur weil es hier üblich ist, anderen zu helfen, müssen wir Dir
ja auch nicht helfen.....  [> Malte und Volker Knoll in suse-linux]

Op maandag 15 januari 2018 23:02:35 CET schreef Christian Boltz:

> Hello,
>
> Am Montag, 15. Januar 2018 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:

> > > Interesting. Is package "permissions" installed on your system?
> >
> > Yes, it's installed.
>
> Uninstalling it would be hard - it's required by pam, shadow and some
> more core packages ;-)
>
> rpm -V permissions   please - if the grep returns nothing, your
> /etc/permissios.{easy,secure,paranoid} are brobably broken. If rpm -V
> lists one of these files as modified, you might want to reinstall the
> permissions package.
>

> Regards,
>
> Christian Boltz

Mmm, I was raised in the linux world with the "reinstall will do what already
has been done" idea, but.....

Updating /etc/sysconfig/security ...
/usr/bin/at: unknown group trusted
/usr/bin/crontab: unknown group trusted
/usr/bin/fusermount: unknown group trusted
/sbin/pccardctl: unknown group trusted
Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
        /etc/permissions
        /etc/permissions.easy
        /etc/permissions.d/postfix
        /etc/permissions.local
setting / to root:root 0755. (wrong permissions 0775)
setting /var/cache/man/ to man:root 0755. (wrong owner/group man:man)
setting /var/log/lastlog to root:root 0644. (wrong owner/group root:utmp
permissions 0664)
setting /var/log/btmp to root:root 0600. (wrong owner/group root:utmp)
setting /sbin/mount.nfs to root:root 4755. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/bin/wall to root:tty 2755. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/bin/write to root:tty 2755. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 4755) << *This one* was gone
 <snip>

Reinstalling the permissions package returned a 'normal' situation. Thanks to
those who took the time to look into this.

On 01/15/2018 04:16 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> Mmm, I was raised in the linux world with the "reinstall will do what already
> has been done" idea, but.....
>
> Updating /etc/sysconfig/security ...
> /usr/bin/at: unknown group trusted
> /usr/bin/crontab: unknown group trusted
> /usr/bin/fusermount: unknown group trusted
> /sbin/pccardctl: unknown group trusted
> Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
>          /etc/permissions
>          /etc/permissions.easy
>          /etc/permissions.d/postfix
>          /etc/permissions.local
> setting / to root:root 0755. (wrong permissions 0775)
> setting /var/cache/man/ to man:root 0755. (wrong owner/group man:man)
> setting /var/log/lastlog to root:root 0644. (wrong owner/group root:utmp
> permissions 0664)
> setting /var/log/btmp to root:root 0600. (wrong owner/group root:utmp)
> setting /sbin/mount.nfs to root:root 4755. (wrong permissions 0755)
> setting /usr/bin/wall to root:tty 2755. (wrong permissions 0755)
> setting /usr/bin/write to root:tty 2755. (wrong permissions 0755)
> setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
> permissions 4755) << *This one* was gone
>   <snip>
>
> Reinstalling the permissions package returned a 'normal' situation. Thanks to
> those who took the time to look into this.

Considering the number of files with wrong permissions, I am surprised that only
VB was failing.

I have no idea what caused the removal of /etc/permissions*, but I do understand
the VB part better now.

/usr/bin/VirtualBox is a shell-based wrapper for /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.
The wrapper is owned by root:vboxusers, but it runs as your user, thus it needs
permissions 0755, or 0705. The spec file calls for the former.

/usr/lib/virtualboxVirtualBox is the GUI program, which needs SUID. The spec
file sets permissions 4750 for this file, and uses the permissions facility to
"enforce" that setting.

Larry

Op dinsdag 16 januari 2018 18:35:32 CET schreef Larry Finger:

> On 01/15/2018 04:16 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
> > Mmm, I was raised in the linux world with the "reinstall will do what
> > already has been done" idea, but.....
> >
> > Updating /etc/sysconfig/security ...
> > /usr/bin/at: unknown group trusted
> > /usr/bin/crontab: unknown group trusted
> > /usr/bin/fusermount: unknown group trusted
> > /sbin/pccardctl: unknown group trusted
> > Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
> >
> >          /etc/permissions
> >          /etc/permissions.easy
> >          /etc/permissions.d/postfix
> >          /etc/permissions.local
> >
> > setting / to root:root 0755. (wrong permissions 0775)
> > setting /var/cache/man/ to man:root 0755. (wrong owner/group man:man)
> > setting /var/log/lastlog to root:root 0644. (wrong owner/group root:utmp
> > permissions 0664)
> > setting /var/log/btmp to root:root 0600. (wrong owner/group root:utmp)
> > setting /sbin/mount.nfs to root:root 4755. (wrong permissions 0755)
> > setting /usr/bin/wall to root:tty 2755. (wrong permissions 0755)
> > setting /usr/bin/write to root:tty 2755. (wrong permissions 0755)
> > setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
> > permissions 4755) << *This one* was gone
> >
> >   <snip>
> >
> > Reinstalling the permissions package returned a 'normal' situation. Thanks
> > to those who took the time to look into this.
>
> Considering the number of files with wrong permissions, I am surprised that
> only VB was failing.
>
> I have no idea what caused the removal of /etc/permissions*, but I do
> understand the VB part better now.
>
> /usr/bin/VirtualBox is a shell-based wrapper for
> /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox. The wrapper is owned by root:vboxusers, but
> it runs as your user, thus it needs permissions 0755, or 0705. The spec
> file calls for the former.
>
> /usr/lib/virtualboxVirtualBox is the GUI program, which needs SUID. The spec
> file sets permissions 4750 for this file, and uses the permissions facility
> to "enforce" that setting.
>
> Larry
Thanks for elaborating on this issue, Don't know either what happened. And,
ext4 for /, so no snapshot to test from.