Wiki update - call for testing

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

[cross-post - please reply only on one of the mailinglists]

Those who visited the Heroes talk at the openSUSE Conference already
know - there is visible progress on the wiki update and I have a *test*
wiki running :-)

So, what's new? The highlights are:
- updated MediaWiki to 1.27.x (LTS release) and all extensions
- now running on a VM in Nuremberg
- including files directly from github
- better search (elasticsearch) - now searching all namespaces, but with
  different weight
- login is now done using openID - but still with your openSUSE login
- namespace-specific boilerplates (page templates) when creating new
  pages
- switched extension for RSS feed integration - this will need
  adjustments on the pages that include RSS feeds
- watching a category (when pages get added to or removed from it) is
  now part of MediaWiki core
- Hermes notification was dropped (was broken anyway, and MediaWiki's own
  notifications work much better)

There's also something that isn't too new - the database dump I used to
setup the test wiki ;-)  It's from last August, so please don't worry
about the outdated content ;-)

That all said - the test wiki is available for testing at
    https://en-test.opensuse.org/

Please check if everything still works, play with it, test the new
features, ...! It is a test instance, so nobody will complain if you do
test edits that don't make sense content-wise ;-)

At the same time, remember that it is a test instance, so any changes
you do will be lost when I re-import the database dump for whatever
reason.

If you notice any issues, please report them - either in one of the
mailinglists (opensuse-wiki preferred) or send a mail to
[hidden email]

If you enjoyed testing the new wiki, please also take some time to go to
our current wiki (en.opensuse.org or $LANG.opensuse.org) - there are
lots of pages that need an update ;-)

And finally - thanks to everybody who helped me to get everything in
shape!

I still have to do some work "under the hood". That shouldn't cause any
problem with testing, but it means that I won't do the production wiki
move and update in a few days ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

PS: oSC visitors may wonder why it's en-test.o.o instead of en.test.o.o
    now. That name change is caused by a funny problem with our SSL
    certificate - *.opensuse.org doesn't match something with an
    additional dot, and en.test.o.o had such a dot ;-)

--
Was habt Ihr denn?  emacs ist doch ein tolles Betriebssystem!
Das einzige was ihm fehlt, ist ein vern├╝nftiger Editor (vim?)

Re: Wiki update - call for testing

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-05-30 14:19, Christian Boltz wrote:
> - login is now done using openID - but still with your openSUSE login

Not using the single point login, that worked for all openSUSE things? :-?

Like login to bugzilla, going to the wiki, be already logged in?

Am Dienstag, 30. Mai 2017, 23:14:22 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2017-05-30 14:19, Christian Boltz wrote:
> > - login is now done using openID - but still with your openSUSE
> > login
>
> Not using the single point login, that worked for all openSUSE things?
> :-?
>
> Like login to bugzilla, going to the wiki, be already logged in?

The authentification framework in MediaWiki changed completely, and
switching to openID was the easiest and fastest way to get it working.

Yes, I know the login on the current wiki looks nicer, and even logs you
in automatically if you are already logged in on another *.opensuse.org
service. (Actually, you won't need to re-enter your password, but you
need to click the "Login" link.)

If someone wants to help me to beautify the login, that's more than
welcome - but staying with the old MediaWiki version just because the
login looked better isn't a real option ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.