Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

Patryk Zera
Hello dear team,

As I'm new on this list (any list in fact), small introduction would be appropriate, I think. My name is Patryk Zera and I'm mostly active on polish openSUSE IRC channel where I go by nick Sanchez. I'm also trying to serve and be helpful to polish openSUSE community in general. On opensuse.org service my nickname is Meksykaniec as Sanchez was reserved.
Yesteday I was browsing wiki and saw that content on polish version of some pages is rather outdated or lacking. I wanted to add maintenace templates to those sites until I or other editors find more time to edit them but no templates are defined for this purpose. Moreover when I wanted to edit some pages they were blocked for non-administrator users. Listed administrators for pl.opensuse.org are not registered users (I guess they were carried over from previous version of wiki), don't have contact info, their mailboxes don't exist anymore or are not involved in wiki efforts anymore.
Can you help me resolve this situation?

Thank You in advance, greetings,
Patryk Zera

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 8. Februar 2017, 12:55:23 CET schrieb Patryk Zera:
> As I'm new on this list (any list in fact), small introduction would
> be appropriate, I think. My name is Patryk Zera and I'm mostly active
> on polish openSUSE IRC channel where I go by nick Sanchez. I'm also
> trying to serve and be helpful to polish openSUSE community in
> general. On opensuse.org service my nickname is Meksykaniec as
> Sanchez was reserved.

Welcome on board ;-)

> Yesteday I was browsing wiki and saw that
> content on polish version of some pages is rather outdated or
> lacking. I wanted to add maintenace templates to those sites until I
> or other editors find more time to edit them but no templates are
> defined for this purpose.

You can create such a template yourself. The easiest way is to "steal"
it from the english wiki ;-)

> Moreover when I wanted to edit some pages
> they were blocked for non-administrator users.

Funnily the main page is editable for everybody ;-)

> Listed administrators
> for pl.opensuse.org are not registered users (I guess they were
> carried over from previous version of wiki), don't have contact info,
> their mailboxes don't exist anymore or are not involved in wiki
> efforts anymore. Can you help me resolve this situation?

Most of the admins don't even speak polish AFAIK, but were server
admins or helped with the initial wiki setup. The two admins I don't
know (which means they probably are and speak polish) did their last
edits nearly 10 years ago :-(

@Thomas: You are a bureaucrat on pl.opensuse.org. Can you please give
Meksykaniec admin permissions there?


Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Ich denk in Prag werd ich dann hauptsächlich für Euch Kaffee kochen. :)
[Lars Müller in opensuse-de]

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

Patryk Zera
In reply to this post by Patryk Zera
Hello!

--- 10.2.17 (Pt), Christian Boltz napisał(a):
>
> Welcome on board
> ;-)

Thank You for your message :-)


> You can create such a template
> yourself. The easiest way is to "steal"
> it from the english wiki ;-)

Thank you for this advice. Until your message I thought that creating such templates is work for administrators. I just have created one of them by this "stealing" and it looks OK ;-)
Administrative help would be nice here anyway, as normal editors can't edit wiki CSS and must put all the template styling into 'style' attribute, which is inconvenient at best.


> Funnily the main page is editable for everybody
> ;-)

Yes, luckily :-)
As I'm getting a little more grip on editing wiki I've noticed that only several pages are blocked. At first I've panicked because Project_overview is one of those pages, it's first link in Discover It, it's apparently from previous version of wiki and now there is no english version of it. I'm sorry if it looked like overreaction.


> Most of
> the admins don't even speak polish AFAIK, but were
> server
> admins or helped with the initial
> wiki setup. The two admins I don't
> know
> (which means they probably are and speak polish) did their
> last
> edits nearly 10 years ago :-(

From my point of view it's unfortunate that even server admins weren't "updated".

Regards,
Patryk Zera
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

Am Samstag, 11. Februar 2017, 23:17:48 CET schrieb Patryk Zera:
> --- 10.2.17 (Pt), Christian Boltz napisał(a):

> > You can create such a template
> > yourself. The easiest way is to "steal"
> > it from the english wiki ;-)
>
> Thank you for this advice. Until your message I thought that creating
> such templates is work for administrators. I just have created one of
> them by this "stealing" and it looks OK ;-) Administrative help would
> be nice here anyway, as normal editors can't edit wiki CSS and must
> put all the template styling into 'style' attribute, which is
> inconvenient at best.

Thomas gave you admin permissions on pl.opensuse.org so you can do this
yourself now :-)

You might want to include the CSS from the english wiki. To do this,
edit MediaWiki:Common.css and add

    @import "//en.opensuse.org/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css&usemsgcache=yes&ctype=text%2Fcss&smaxage=18000&action=raw&maxage=18000" all;

Note that MediaWiki:Common.css is cached quite long - it will take
several hours until changes become visible (even if you are logged in).
For testing, using &debug=true should work, for example
http://pl.opensuse.org/index.php?title=The_page_you_want&debug=true

> > Funnily the main page is editable for everybody
> > ;-)
>
> Yes, luckily :-)
> As I'm getting a little more grip on editing wiki I've noticed that
> only several pages are blocked. At first I've panicked because
> Project_overview is one of those pages, it's first link in Discover
> It, it's apparently from previous version of wiki and now there is no
> english version of it. I'm sorry if it looked like overreaction.

No problem, it's a valid concern, and I know how annoying it is when
you want to do something, but a "permission denied" message stops you.

> > Most of
> > the admins don't even speak polish AFAIK, but were
> > server
> > admins or helped with the initial
> > wiki setup. The two admins I don't
> > know
> > (which means they probably are and speak polish) did their
> > last
> > edits nearly 10 years ago :-(
>
> From my point of view it's unfortunate that even server admins weren't
> "updated".

Not all of them have vanished - they "just" moved on to other tasks.

That said - I'd be happy if this was our only problem with the wiki [1]...


Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] maybe you've heard about the spam attack on the english wiki last
    year, and the not-so-responsive admins in Provo...
--
"Praktische Erfahrung ist viel Wert. Nur mal davon gehört zu haben, daß
 etwas nicht funktioniert, ist eine Sache - den GNOME Dateidialog selbst
 benutzt haben zu müssen, eine ganz andere."      -- Steffen Winterfeldt

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

Patryk Zera-2
In reply to this post by Patryk Zera
Hello,

14.2.17 (Wt), Christian Boltz napisał:


> Thomas gave you admin permissions on pl.opensuse.org so you can do this
> yourself now :-)

Thank You very much for your all help and intervention. I appreciate your commitment.
Also, thanks to Thomas :-)


> You might want to include the CSS from the english wiki. To do this,
> edit MediaWiki:Common.css and add
>
>      @import "//en.opensuse.org/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css&usemsgcache=yes&ctype=text%2Fcss&smaxage=18000&action=raw&maxage=18000" all;
>
> Note that MediaWiki:Common.css is cached quite long - it will take
> several hours until changes become visible (even if you are logged in).
> For testing, using &debug=true should work, for example
> http://pl.opensuse.org/index.php?title=The_page_you_want&debug=true

Thank you for the tip. At first I thought about copy-paste from english wiki but this way styling on polish wiki will be parallel to english wiki.


> Not all of them have vanished - they "just" moved on to other tasks.
>
> That said - I'd be happy if this was our only problem with the wiki [1]...
>
>
> [1] maybe you've heard about the spam attack on the english wiki last
>      year, and the not-so-responsive admins in Provo...

I haven't heard about it. I just have started following international community of openSUSE so I probably missed much more problematic events. Recently I've found thread about migration of wiki which suggested deletion of polish wiki ;-)


Regards,
Patryk Zera
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Wiki at pl.opensuse.org

Patryk Zera
In reply to this post by Patryk Zera
Hello,

14.2.17 (Wt), Christian Boltz napisał:

> Thomas gave you admin permissions on pl.opensuse.org so you can do this
> yourself now :-)

Thank You very much for your all help and intervention. I appreciate your commitment.
Also, thanks to Thomas :-)


> You might want to include the CSS from the english wiki. To do this,
> edit MediaWiki:Common.css and add
>
>      @import "//en.opensuse.org/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css&usemsgcache=yes&ctype=text%2Fcss&smaxage=18000&action=raw&maxage=18000" all;
>
> Note that MediaWiki:Common.css is cached quite long - it will take
> several hours until changes become visible (even if you are logged in).
> For testing, using &debug=true should work, for example
> http://pl.opensuse.org/index.php?title=The_page_you_want&debug=true

Thank you for the tip. At first I thought about copy-paste from english wiki but this way styling on polish wiki will be in sync with english wiki.


> Not all of them have vanished - they "just" moved on to other tasks.
>
> That said - I'd be happy if this was our only problem with the wiki [1]...
>
> (...)
>
> [1] maybe you've heard about the spam attack on the english wiki last
>      year, and the not-so-responsive admins in Provo...

I haven't heard about it. I just have started following international community of openSUSE so I probably missed much more problematic events. Recently I've found thread about migration of wiki which suggested deletion of polish wiki ;-)


Regards,
Patryk Zera
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...