Quantcast

Why mounting /media as tmpfs?

Lars Müller
Hi,

from the package changelog of aaa_base we know

* Fri Oct 14 2011 lnussel@...
- mount /media as tmpfs
- resolve symlink for rcXX -> XX.service sytemd magic

/media is now mounted as tmpfs.

But why are we doing this?  Unfortunately there is no reference to a bug
or openFATE ID.

It would be an advantage to our users if those bug and openFATE IDs are
also readable to them. :)

There's no bug caused by this /media tmpfs mount.  I missed only some
sub dirs in /media after moving an openSUSE 11.4 system to 12.1 RC 1.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Re: Why mounting /media as tmpfs?

Bruno Friedmann-2
On 10/22/2011 08:14 PM, Lars Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> from the package changelog of aaa_base we know
>
> * Fri Oct 14 2011 lnussel@...
> - mount /media as tmpfs
> - resolve symlink for rcXX -> XX.service sytemd magic
>
> /media is now mounted as tmpfs.
>
> But why are we doing this?  Unfortunately there is no reference to a bug
> or openFATE ID.
>
> It would be an advantage to our users if those bug and openFATE IDs are
> also readable to them. :)
>
> There's no bug caused by this /media tmpfs mount.  I missed only some
> sub dirs in /media after moving an openSUSE 11.4 system to 12.1 RC 1.
>
> Lars
To complement, when this hit me in end august I've ask how can I rehave some mount point under media
The solution is re-adding them in
a .conf file under /etc/tmpfiles.d

like
/etc/tmpfiles.d/ioda-media.conf
# re-create our needed directoy
# /media is now a tmpfs

d /media/backup 0755 root root -
d /media/iso 0755 root root -
d /media/obsbuild 0755 root root -

full syntax in man tmpfiles.d

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador
GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
irc: tigerfoot

Re: Why mounting /media as tmpfs?

Ludwig Nussel
Lars Müller wrote:

> from the package changelog of aaa_base we know
>
> * Fri Oct 14 2011 lnussel@...
> - mount /media as tmpfs
> - resolve symlink for rcXX -> XX.service sytemd magic
>
> /media is now mounted as tmpfs.
>
> But why are we doing this?  Unfortunately there is no reference to a bug
> or openFATE ID.

Are you referring to systemd or sysvinit? There are no Fate entries
for things the former does of course. When I noticed the /media
tmpfs I just picked that feature for sysv too as it seems sensible.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 08:13:02AM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

> Lars Müller wrote:
> >
> > from the package changelog of aaa_base we know
> >
> > * Fri Oct 14 2011 lnussel@...
> > - mount /media as tmpfs
> > - resolve symlink for rcXX -> XX.service sytemd magic
> >
> > /media is now mounted as tmpfs.
> >
> > But why are we doing this?  Unfortunately there is no reference to a bug
> > or openFATE ID.
>
> Are you referring to systemd or sysvinit?
In my case I saw it with sysvinit.

The change log hunk I quoted is from aaa_base

> There are no Fate entries
> for things the former does of course. When I noticed the /media
> tmpfs I just picked that feature for sysv too as it seems sensible.

As systemd also doesn't reference a particular bug we must be happy the
way it is.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]