Who is using Gnome?

1234 ... 6

Who is using Gnome?

Robert Paulsen-2
For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
Gnome.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
are.

Thanks,
Bob

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Larry Stotler
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Robert Paulsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.

Evidently Linus Torvalds agrees with you.  Considering how much he
said he hated gnome, he's now using it instead of KDE4.

Personally, I've stuck with 11.0/KDE3.  I've seen no reason to run
11.1 on any of my machines.  I will hold off for KDE4.3 and 11.2 and
see what happens.  Give me KPersonalizer and a way to make KDE4 work
like KDE3 and I'd be happy.

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Richard Ibbotson-2
On Friday 30 January 2009 15:56:15 Robert Paulsen wrote:
> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4
> forces me to learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it
> seems worth considering Gnome.
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their
> experiences are.

Had I not been with the KDE and Gnome development team since KDE 0.99
I might have thought that there was something wrong with KDE 4.xx.
However, I know that any new release of KDE will not work until
something like the x.2 or x.3 release.  Takes a long time to write
desktop software.  I've just switched to KDE 4.2.  Seems to be stable
and usable.  Things are still missing but it works.

What's new for me is the AWN desktop manager....

http://wiki.awn-project.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Using this in Gnome with a lot of KDE 4.2 I have a (almost) Mac
lookalike desktop which is GPL'd.  Which suits me fine.  Just deleted
my Mac 10.1 iMac desktop and put PPC Linux into it.

Very nice.  Sophisticated.  Tasteful.  Reliable.  What else... Oh..
yeh...  just great to have the same thing on my EeePC which I can use
anywhere.... with 3 mobile broadband - www.three.co.uk

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk

Re: Who is using Gnome?

L. V. Lammert
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Robert Paulsen wrote:

> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Been using Gnome since SLES 9 - previous versions of KDE are just too
'cluttered' for me.

I also teach SuSE classes, however, so standardizing on Gnome is an
advantage as that's what all the instruction materials use.

        Lee

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Frans de Boer
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:56 -0600, Robert Paulsen wrote:
> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
Hi, I used to use Gnome, but because the visual human interface was not
appealing to me and had a look and feel that was eh....ancient, I
switched back to KDE (3.5.x). I am not using KDE4 (yet) because it was
not ready for prime time. Maybe KDE4.2 is.

Comparing the desktops of Gnome and KDE3.5.x, I would say KDE3 wins
hands down. The limited usability of mouse and available functions - or
rather the lack of functions - make the Gnome desktop not an option for
me. But, maybe it suites your taste?

Frans.

Re: Who is using Gnome?

N B Day-4
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:56 -0600, Robert Paulsen wrote:
> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.

I saw this coming and switched my household to Gnome when I installed
11.0 and haven't been sorry.  Gnome *is* less configurable than KDE 3.x
but the defaults are fairly sensible and naive users don't have any
trouble being productive right away.  The fact that Nautilus shows
mounted USB keys on the desktop, for example, is *very* helpful to new
users.  I have eight to ten virtual desktops dedicated to applications
all the time and do a lot in a terminal, so I don't much care if I'm
using KDE, Gnome, XFCE or whatever most of the time.

I was using lots of Gnome stuff when I was running KDE as my desktop,
and I now use k3b and kooka just fine under Gnome, so it really doesn't
make a whole lot of difference.

It doesn't hurt to have a working knowledge of Gnome anyway, since it is
the default for some of the other dominant distros such as Ubuntu.  I
found that Linux Mint worked best of all those that I tried on our
antique laptop, so when we grab it out of the rubble and flee the great
earthquake we'll have a familiar desktop.

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Jim Henderson-4
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:56:15 -0600, Robert Paulsen wrote:

> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces
> me to learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth
> considering Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their
> experiences are.

I've been using GNOME since I was running RedHat 5.2 or 6 (I forget when
I started, but it's been a long time).  Prior to that, I ran
Enlightenment.

I started using GNOME because it came with Red Carpet, and I was too
cheap to buy a RedHat subscription at the time - and Red Carpet provided
updates to RedHat for free.

I've tried KDE a few times myself, but found myself going back to GNOME
after a few days because I know where to find things in GNOME and how to
configure it.  It's a personal preference.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Sven Burmeister
Am Freitag, 30. Januar 2009 17:04:28 schrieb Larry Stotler:
> > I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their
> > experiences are.
>
> Evidently Linus Torvalds agrees with you.  Considering how much he
> said he hated gnome, he's now using it instead of KDE4.

Who wouldn't agree if KDE4.*0* was forced on you?

Sven

Re: Who is using Gnome?

James Knott
Robert Paulsen wrote:

> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I'm not, because I don't care for it.  However, if KDE 4 keeps going the
way it is, I'll be looking for another desktop.  BTW, 11.1 is the first
SUSE version that I'll pass updating to.

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Eric Springer
I use and love KDE 4.2. I admit that 4.1 and 4.0 weren't worth using though.

However I don't subscribe to the whole religion. I have gnome
(factory) installed too. The software I use on a regular basis, as
I've judged it to be the best:

Desktop Environment: KDE
Login thing: GDM
Music player: Banshee (new amarok sucks)
File browser: Dolphin
Web browser: Firefox
Email: gmail webclient
Editor: kwrite (far better than gedit imo)
Quick programming: Geany
Instant messaging: pidgin
Terminal: Konsole (significantly better than gnome terminal)
Office: OO.org
Movies: VLC
Graphics: Gimp
Quick bitmap editing: Kolour
Vitualization software: Virtual Box (surpassed vmware in every regard
now, except ease of creating shared folders)
Graphics driver: fglrx (radeonhd still sucks, sorry =/)
Password management: KeePassX
Archiving: Fileroller (latest ark is trash and doesn't support drag and drop)
Torrent: ktorrent
Window manager: kwin (although i'm forced to use metacity when i'm in gnome.)
Mapping: Google earth (rocks)
PDF viewing: Okular (That gnome thing has a few too many quirks)

So yeah, quite a healthy mix here.

There still are still issue with KDE, and I still occasionally use
gnome (just to be disappointed by lack of progress). KDE 4.2 really
makes it worth it, and I'm looking forward to 4.3 to fix the few and
minor issues I have with it.

Regards,
Eric

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Robert Paulsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Eric Springer (Erikina)

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Bugzilla from pandarsson@yahoo.com
On Friday 30 January 2009 1:15:10 pm Sven Burmeister wrote:

> Am Freitag, 30. Januar 2009 17:04:28 schrieb Larry Stotler:
> > > I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their
> > > experiences are.
> >
> > Evidently Linus Torvalds agrees with you.  Considering how much he
> > said he hated gnome, he's now using it instead of KDE4.
>
> Who wouldn't agree if KDE4.*0* was forced on you?
>
> Sven

Whoa!  Linus Torvalds had KDE 4.0 forced on him?  I hope he had whoever did
that arrested!

I hate it when extremists and terrorists force me to install new software.
It's a sad state of affairs when people think the only way to get their point
across is to impinge on my rights as a user.

I'll pray for you, Linus.

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Low Kian Seong-4
Great list there!

Agree with all of them except that my stable media player is Kaffeine.
Suse just makes it so easy enabling all the codecs I  need on Kaffeine
and the one click install is the first thing I yearn for getting other
distro's media players up to speed.

LowKS

http://lowkster.blogspot.com

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Eric Springer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use and love KDE 4.2. I admit that 4.1 and 4.0 weren't worth using though.
>
> However I don't subscribe to the whole religion. I have gnome
> (factory) installed too. The software I use on a regular basis, as
> I've judged it to be the best:
>

> Desktop Environment: KDE
> Login thing: GDM
> Music player: Banshee (new amarok sucks)
> File browser: Dolphin
> Web browser: Firefox
> Email: gmail webclient
> Editor: kwrite (far better than gedit imo)
> Quick programming: Geany
> Instant messaging: pidgin
> Terminal: Konsole (significantly better than gnome terminal)
> Office: OO.org
> Movies: VLC
> Graphics: Gimp
> Quick bitmap editing: Kolour
> Vitualization software: Virtual Box (surpassed vmware in every regard
> now, except ease of creating shared folders)
> Graphics driver: fglrx (radeonhd still sucks, sorry =/)
> Password management: KeePassX
> Archiving: Fileroller (latest ark is trash and doesn't support drag and drop)
> Torrent: ktorrent
> Window manager: kwin (although i'm forced to use metacity when i'm in gnome.)
> Mapping: Google earth (rocks)
> PDF viewing: Okular (That gnome thing has a few too many quirks)
>

> So yeah, quite a healthy mix here.
>

> There still are still issue with KDE, and I still occasionally use
> gnome (just to be disappointed by lack of progress). KDE 4.2 really
> makes it worth it, and I'm looking forward to 4.3 to fix the few and
> minor issues I have with it.
>

> Regards,
> Eric
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Robert Paulsen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
>> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
>> Gnome.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
>> are.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>> --

> Eric Springer (Erikina)

Re: Who is using Gnome?

jdd@dodin.org
I just made a jump on GNOME after reading this thread. I think GN?OME
is now really more polished by openSUSE than Kde.

The YaST interface is much better (I know I can use it even under kde
:-), the "plasmoids" more complete, the kicker (looks like) menu much
better.

I'm still feel a little uncomfortable with GNOME but it's much better
than before when kde is worst...

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: Re: Who is using Gnome?

Low Kian Seong-4
Anyone living on Gnome Factory? How stable is it?

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just made a jump on GNOME after reading this thread. I think GN?OME
> is now really more polished by openSUSE than Kde.
>
> The YaST interface is much better (I know I can use it even under kde
> :-), the "plasmoids" more complete, the kicker (looks like) menu much
> better.
>
> I'm still feel a little uncomfortable with GNOME but it's much better
> than before when kde is worst...
>
> jdd
>
> --
> http://www.dodin.net
> http://valerie.dodin.org
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
> http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445

Re: Who is using Gnome?

dotancohen
2009/1/30 Robert Paulsen <[hidden email]>:
> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.

Gnome is certainly worth considering, even if you _do_ like KDE. Just
to clear things up, are you referning to KDE 4.2, or to KDE < 4.2? KDE
4.2 is the first of the 4.0 series that is meant for end users, and it
shows.

> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.

I find that Gnome allows me to do _exactly_ the same things as KDE. As
I prefer a side panel the default two panel configuration does not
bother me. However, KDE lets me customize and make the desktop fit my
workflow, as opposed to Gnome (and Windows) that make me adjust my
workflow to the desktop.

Try Gnome for a week, then file bugs on KDE requesting the features
that you liked.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.�ﮞ˛���m�)z{.��+�Z+i�b�*'jW(�f�vǦj)h���Ǿ��i�������

Re: Who is using Gnome?

dotancohen
2009/1/31 James Knott <[hidden email]>:
> I'm not, because I don't care for it.  However, if KDE 4 keeps going the
> way it is, I'll be looking for another desktop.  BTW, 11.1 is the first
> SUSE version that I'll pass updating to.

KDE 4.2 was already released. Try it, and see if you don't like the
direction that KDE is going!

Of course, you will have issues with KDE 4.2 just like you would with
moving to Gnome or XFCE or any other desktop. Let me know what they
are, and we will file bugs.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.�ﮞ˛���m�)z{.��+�Z+i�b�*'jW(�f�vǦj)h���Ǿ��i�������

Re: Who is using Gnome?

JayLinux
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Robert Paulsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
> Gnome.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
> are.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> --

Though I prefer gnome, it crashed (on openSUSE 11.1) some time back (I
was trying to make some changes & add a shortcut to the desktop, also
trying to restore a missing 'My Computer' icon using GNOME
Configuration Editor (gconf-editor), when it suddenly crashed, and all
desktop icons disappeared, have not been able to fix this; thro'
Google search, apparently some others have had a similar problem with
Nautilus crashing in openSUSE 11.1).

So, I tried the XFCE DE.  XFCE has a simple user interface and is easy
to use and customize; in addition to being stable (in my linited user
experience). Would be good though if they updated the online
documentation (last update is for ver 4.2, in 2004).

Jay
==

Re: Who is using Gnome?

Low Kian Seong-4
Problem about xfce (I am using that too temporarily now) is that it
does not have an applet to manage network connections. Can be a hassle
when you are using it on a laptop. I am using nm-applet with it for
now.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Jay Mistry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Robert Paulsen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
>> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
>> Gnome.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
>> are.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>> --
>
> Though I prefer gnome, it crashed (on openSUSE 11.1) some time back (I
> was trying to make some changes & add a shortcut to the desktop, also
> trying to restore a missing 'My Computer' icon using GNOME
> Configuration Editor (gconf-editor), when it suddenly crashed, and all
> desktop icons disappeared, have not been able to fix this; thro'
> Google search, apparently some others have had a similar problem with
> Nautilus crashing in openSUSE 11.1).
>
> So, I tried the XFCE DE.  XFCE has a simple user interface and is easy
> to use and customize; in addition to being stable (in my linited user
> experience). Would be good though if they updated the online
> documentation (last update is for ver 4.2, in 2004).
>
> Jay
> ==

Re: Who is using Gnome? (OT)

Verner Kjæsgaard

N B Day skrev:

> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:56 -0600, Robert Paulsen wrote:
>> For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4 forces me to
>> learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it seems worth considering
>> Gnome.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their experiences
>> are.
>
> I saw this coming and switched my household to Gnome when I installed
> 11.0 and haven't been sorry.  Gnome *is* less configurable than KDE 3.x
> but the defaults are fairly sensible and naive users don't have any
> trouble being productive right away.  The fact that Nautilus shows
> mounted USB keys on the desktop, for example, is *very* helpful to new
> users.  I have eight to ten virtual desktops dedicated to applications
> all the time and do a lot in a terminal, so I don't much care if I'm
> using KDE, Gnome, XFCE or whatever most of the time.
>
> I was using lots of Gnome stuff when I was running KDE as my desktop,
> and I now use k3b and kooka just fine under Gnome, so it really doesn't
> make a whole lot of difference.
>
> It doesn't hurt to have a working knowledge of Gnome anyway, since it is
> the default for some of the other dominant distros such as Ubuntu.  I
> found that Linux Mint worked best of all those that I tried on our
> antique laptop, so when we grab it out of the rubble and flee the great
> earthquake we'll have a familiar desktop.

A side note; N. B. Day's signature is great. How do you do that/automate it?

--
------------------------------
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Novell Certified Linux
Professional 10035701

Re: Who is using Gnome? (OT)

Per Jessen-2
Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:

> A side note; N. B. Day's signature is great. How do you do
> that/automate it?

Depends on your email agent.  I use Knode where I can have a signature
read from file and tick the box that says "File is a program".

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-2.88°C)

1234 ... 6