What's the PPC story?

gregfreemyer
I see that OBS is now building lots of PPC packages.

Is it coming as a live CD sometime soon?

Is there still an install base of PPC machines out there?

fyi: I looked in the wiki for a status page and didn't see anything.

Greg

Re: What's the PPC story?

Dinar Valeev
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Greg Freemyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I see that OBS is now building lots of PPC packages.
It always had built packaes, since 11.1 it just lost stable releases.

> Is it coming as a live CD sometime soon?
There is Factory building for ppc in separate project
openSUSE:Factory:PowerPC all the time.
It is produces netinstall images as well.
http://powerpc.opensuse.org/factory/iso/

FTP tree:
http://powerpc.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/

Since a while we have public builds again.

> Is there still an install base of PPC machines out there?
Yes.

> fyi: I looked in the wiki for a status page and didn't see anything.
JFYI: we have opensuse-ppc mailing list.
Feel free to join and help us to fix failing packages and test
openSUSE on Power ;)

> Greg

Re: What's the PPC story?

Larry Finger
On 03/06/2012 10:08 AM, Dinar Valeev wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Greg Freemyer<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I see that OBS is now building lots of PPC packages.
> It always had built packaes, since 11.1 it just lost stable releases.
>>
>> Is it coming as a live CD sometime soon?
> There is Factory building for ppc in separate project
> openSUSE:Factory:PowerPC all the time.
> It is produces netinstall images as well.
> http://powerpc.opensuse.org/factory/iso/
>
> FTP tree:
> http://powerpc.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/
>
> Since a while we have public builds again.
>>
>> Is there still an install base of PPC machines out there?
> Yes.
>>
>> fyi: I looked in the wiki for a status page and didn't see anything.
> JFYI: we have opensuse-ppc mailing list.
> Feel free to join and help us to fix failing packages and test
> openSUSE on Power ;)

I am happy to hear of this mailing list, which I just joined, and of the NET
install iso that I am downloading now. I have a PowerBook G4 Titanium that dual
boots OS X and Mint 9. Rebuilding and installing a kernel on any Debian-based
system is a lot more complicated than for openSUSE, and I would love to be able
to switch.

Larry

Re: What's the PPC story?

Dinar Valeev
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Larry Finger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 10:08 AM, Dinar Valeev wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Greg Freemyer<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I see that OBS is now building lots of PPC packages.
>>
>> It always had built packaes, since 11.1 it just lost stable releases.
>>>

>>> Is it coming as a live CD sometime soon?
>>
>> There is Factory building for ppc in separate project
>> openSUSE:Factory:PowerPC all the time.
>> It is produces netinstall images as well.
>> http://powerpc.opensuse.org/factory/iso/
>>
>> FTP tree:
>> http://powerpc.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/
>>
>> Since a while we have public builds again.
>>>

>>> Is there still an install base of PPC machines out there?
>>
>> Yes.
>>>

>>> fyi: I looked in the wiki for a status page and didn't see anything.
>>
>> JFYI: we have opensuse-ppc mailing list.
>> Feel free to join and help us to fix failing packages and test
>> openSUSE on Power ;)
>

> I am happy to hear of this mailing list, which I just joined, and of the NET
> install iso that I am downloading now. I have a PowerBook G4 Titanium that
> dual boots OS X and Mint 9. Rebuilding and installing a kernel on any
> Debian-based system is a lot more complicated than for openSUSE, and I would
> love to be able to switch.
Beware, it is not stable.

Known issues are:
you should manually install bootloader, by starting shell before and
after installation.
you should use ext3 as fs. (as there is some errors with ext4 which
needs to be investigated)
systemd/journald have issues. You can see it as dhcp client hang on boot.
partitioner crashing during in graphical installation. (use ncurses mode)

Don't forget to report bugs ;)

> Larry

Re: What's the PPC story?

gregfreemyer
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Dinar Valeev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Greg Freemyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I see that OBS is now building lots of PPC packages.
> It always had built packaes, since 11.1 it just lost stable releases.

Per the news items at https://build.opensuse.org/ it just became
allowed for *all* builds a couple weeks ago.

And now devel projects like security and devel:languages:perl have had
it added as a repository.

So it seems something is rocking in the background.

Greg

Re: What's the PPC story?

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 11:36:29AM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Dinar Valeev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Greg Freemyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I see that OBS is now building lots of PPC packages.
> > It always had built packaes, since 11.1 it just lost stable releases.
>
> Per the news items at https://build.opensuse.org/ it just became
> allowed for *all* builds a couple weeks ago.
>
> And now devel projects like security and devel:languages:perl have had
> it added as a repository.
>
> So it seems something is rocking in the background.

There is not much rocking, but I enabled it in the repos I have access
to so people in there can use and cross check.

PowerPC openSUSE still needs lots of love, in the installation area especially.

Ciao, Marcus

Re: What's the PPC story?

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 10:58:54PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 11:36:29AM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > > It always had built packaes, since 11.1 it just lost stable releases.
> >
> > Per the news items at https://build.opensuse.org/ it just became
> > allowed for *all* builds a couple weeks ago.
> >
> > And now devel projects like security and devel:languages:perl have had
> > it added as a repository.
> >
> > So it seems something is rocking in the background.
>
> There is not much rocking, but I enabled it in the repos I have access
> to so people in there can use and cross check.
>
> PowerPC openSUSE still needs lots of love, in the installation area especially.

And the story is that mostly Dinar is trying to get an installable
version at some point, he is going for a ppc64 based one.

I am watching over the openSUSE:Factory:PowerPC build process and try
to fix errors as my time permits :/

We are building ppc32 and ppc64 packages currently, but so far only a
mostly ppc32 ftp tree.

One of my goals post my vacation to also build either a shared tree like
for Factory *86* or an additional ppc64+ppc32 baselibs tree.

(The OBS team and Alex Graf are helping us here, thanks to Alex we can
now build within KVM and so can allow builds for everyone.)

Ciao, Marcus

Re: What's the PPC story?

Stefan Seyfried
Am 06.03.2012 16:55, schrieb Greg Freemyer:

> Is there still an install base of PPC machines out there?

I don't think so, at least none you would want to run opensuse on ;)

-- well, if the ARM port gets momentum, opensuse might get
embedded-ready, but I doubt so --

Is there a way to ignore all ppc build errors and not get mails for
those? I'm really not interested in them ;-)
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"