What happened to sysinfo:/

James Knott
In 12.2 & earlier I could open sysinfo:/ in Konqueror to see stuff about
mounts etc.  What happened to this is 12.3?

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Carl Fletcher-3
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 18:04:55 -0000, James Knott <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What happened to this is 12.3?

Replaced by kinfocentre

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

James Knott
Carl Fletcher wrote:
>> What happened to this is 12.3?
>
> Replaced by kinfocentre

So, how do I use kinfocentre to eject a DVD?  That's one of the things I
used sysinfo:/ for.  At the moment, I've got the install DVD stuck in
the drive and can't see how to eject it, without opening something like
KsCD.

I have a bookmark in Konqueror for sysinfo:/.  After doing what I wanted
with a CD or DVD, I'd select that bookmark and then eject the disc.  How
is that done now?

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Harrie Baken-2
Hallo James Knott, op 17-03-13 19:16 schreef je:

> Carl Fletcher wrote:
>>> What happened to this is 12.3?
>>
>> Replaced by kinfocentre
>
> So, how do I use kinfocentre to eject a DVD?  That's one of the
> things I used sysinfo:/ for.  At the moment, I've got the install DVD
> stuck in the drive and can't see how to eject it, without opening
> something like KsCD.
>
> I have a bookmark in Konqueror for sysinfo:/.  After doing what I
> wanted with a CD or DVD, I'd select that bookmark and then eject the
> disc.  How is that done now?

In a shell:
~> eject
still works.

--
Harrie Baken | Tekstbureau TekstBaken
Copy-editing - proofreading - seo

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

James Knott
Harrie Baken wrote:
>> I have a bookmark in Konqueror for sysinfo:/.  After doing what I
>> wanted with a CD or DVD, I'd select that bookmark and then eject the
>> disc.  How is that done now?
>
> In a shell:
> ~> eject
> still works.

Yes, I know.  However, there should be something *OBVIOUS* on the
desktop.  I have found a method.  The little USB symbol, on the panel,
can be clicked, which shows plugged in devices, including my DVD drive,
which is most definitely not a USB device.

BTW, any idea what that "0 B Removable Media" is that appears when you
click on the USB symbol.

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

James Knott
James Knott wrote:
> BTW, any idea what that "0 B Removable Media" is that appears when you
> click on the USB symbol.

Apparently, it's the floppy drive.  I had to really dig to find a floppy
disk to try with it.

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Ricardo Chung
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 03:04:50 PM James Knott wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
> > BTW, any idea what that "0 B Removable Media" is that appears when you
> > click on the USB symbol.
>
> Apparently, it's the floppy drive.  I had to really dig to find a floppy
> disk to try with it.

In Dolphin is possible to eject any CD or DVD by right clicking your pointer
or mouse over. It's needed to have Places (F9) activated.

Ricardo Chung | Panama
Ambassador and Member
openSUSE Projects

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Billie Walsh
On 03/17/2013 01:38 PM, Harrie Baken wrote:

> Hallo James Knott, op 17-03-13 19:16 schreef je:
>>>
>>> Replaced by kinfocentre
>>
>> So, how do I use kinfocentre to eject a DVD?  That's one of the
>> things I used sysinfo:/ for.  At the moment, I've got the install DVD
>> stuck in the drive and can't see how to eject it, without opening
>> something like KsCD.
>>
>> I have a bookmark in Konqueror for sysinfo:/.  After doing what I
>> wanted with a CD or DVD, I'd select that bookmark and then eject the
>> disc.  How is that done now?
>
> In a shell:
> ~> eject
> still works.

Open Dolphin and right click on the drive.

Stupid question - have you pushed the button on the drive?

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

James Knott
Ricardo Chung wrote:
>> Apparently, it's the floppy drive.  I had to really dig to find a floppy
>> >disk to try with it.
> In Dolphin is possible to eject any CD or DVD by right clicking your pointer
> or mouse over. It's needed to have Places (F9) activated.

I use Konqueror, not Dolphin.

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

James Knott
Billie Walsh wrote:
> Open Dolphin and right click on the drive.
>
> Stupid question - have you pushed the button on the drive?

As I mentioned, I use Konqueror, not Dolphin.  The button won't work, if
the disc is mounted.

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Mike-207
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 01:44:43 PM James Knott wrote:
> Ricardo Chung wrote:
> >> Apparently, it's the floppy drive.  I had to really dig to find a floppy

> > In Dolphin is possible to eject any CD or DVD by right clicking your
> > pointer or mouse over. It's needed to have Places (F9) activated.
>
> I use Konqueror, not Dolphin.

I seem to remember something in the factory list about sysinfo being dropped
because it was unsupported. I'd have to look and see if I've still got the
message though.

Mike

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Ricardo Chung
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 03:44:43 PM James Knott wrote:
> Ricardo Chung wrote:
> >> Apparently, it's the floppy drive.  I had to really dig to find a floppy

> > In Dolphin is possible to eject any CD or DVD by right clicking your
> > pointer or mouse over. It's needed to have Places (F9) activated.
>
> I use Konqueror, not Dolphin.

In my case it works on Konqueror too, F9 key to show Places and left column is
displayed with CD or DVD->Mouse right click over CD or DVD and left click to
eject. Unless you have a special settings.

Ricardo Chung | Panama
Ambassador and Member
openSUSE Projects

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Ricardo Chung
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 01:49:34 PM Mike wrote:
> On Sunday, March 17, 2013 01:44:43 PM James Knott wrote:
> > Ricardo Chung wrote:

> I seem to remember something in the factory list about sysinfo being dropped
> because it was unsupported. I'd have to look and see if I've still got the
> message though.

You are right is was dropped because the package was not maintained for a long
time causing conflicts and other issues.

Ricardo Chung | Panama
Ambassador and Member
openSUSE Projects

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Martin /Nightowl/ Byttebier-2
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:16:31 -0400
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Carl Fletcher wrote:
> >> What happened to this is 12.3?
> >
> > Replaced by kinfocentre
>
> So, how do I use kinfocentre to eject a DVD?  That's one of the
> things I used sysinfo:/ for.  At the moment, I've got the install DVD
> stuck in the drive and can't see how to eject it, without opening
> something like KsCD.

 You can find sysinfo on this site

 <URL:http://download.opensuse.org/factory-tested/repo/oss/suse/>
 You need both kio_sysinfo-branding and kio_sysinfo

 Works perfect on my system

 Martin

--

UTSI: http://users.telenet.be/tos4ever/utsi.htm
Atari FTP-site: ftp://kurobox.serveftp.net:3021

Re: What happened to sysinfo:/

Istvan Gabor-2

2013. március 17. 19:16 napon James Knott <[hidden email]> írta:

> Carl Fletcher wrote:
> >> What happened to this is 12.3?
> >
> > Replaced by kinfocentre
>
> So, how do I use kinfocentre to eject a DVD?  That's one of the things I
> used sysinfo:/ for.  At the moment, I've got the install DVD stuck in
> the drive and can't see how to eject it, without opening something like
> KsCD.
>
> I have a bookmark in Konqueror for sysinfo:/.  After doing what I wanted
> with a CD or DVD, I'd select that bookmark and then eject the disc.  How
> is that done now?

I guess you're using KDE4.
In KDE3 you can mount devices onto the desktop and also unmount/remove/eject them with mouse right click.
Pity it can't be done in KDE4. It is one of the showstopper 'features' (regressions) of KDE4.
There might be another solution for those who like twin-panel file managers: krusader.
Right clicking on a mounted directory gives the option 'unmount', and you can unmount the device
mounted to that directory. And, I guess, there is (at least there was two years ago) some device manager panel
applet in KDE4 as well that should do the trick.

Istvan