What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Basil Chupin-2
What IS wrong with VLC and k3b in 13.1?

I cannot play Blu-ray files using VLC in 13.1 even though I have (as far
as I know) all the necessary files installed - yet I can play the same
Bd discs (or rather open the Directory-ies or execute individual m2ts
files) in openSUsE 12.3.

I cannot do a copy of, eg, a CD using k3b - keeps coming up with an
error of not being able to open the disc - in 13.1 while k3b in 12.3
happily and without any drama makes a copy of any CD I "throw" at it!

12.3 = OK.

13.1 = crap.

Why?

I have another thread here which I started days ago, Subject "13.1 + vlc
+ Blu-ray", but now k3b is involved so I thought it best to start a new
thread.

MOST frustrating re above simply because both work as expected in 12.3
but suddenly 13.1 goes belly-up re these 2 applications.

Anybody suggest, please, steps to take to resolve this situation?

BC

PS To see what I am using as a system look at my Signature line(s) but
for those whose mail clients are unable to handle Signatures then mine is:

Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.0 & kernel 3.12.5-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX660 OC 2GB DDR5 GPU

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.0 & kernel 3.12.5-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX660 OC 2GB DDR5 GPU

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

John Andersen-2
Packman.

On 25/12/13 16:25, John Andersen wrote:
> Packman.

Eh, I have Packman running out of my ears, John.

Everything I have installed comes from Packman.

Since installing 13.1 I have had k3b, for example, updated at least (?)5
times, the latest being yesterday or today - cannot recall. Still it
cannot do a Copy Medium - tried it just before posting my original message.

The only thing I can now try is to delete both VLC and K3B and
re-install. Nothing else left to do as I have run out of ideas.

(There HAS to be something about 13.1 - with all the "developments"
which it has had to endure - to be causing this. For example, my wife's
computer had Intel cpu in it (mine is AMD) and she cannot login, for
example, without having to retype the first letter of her password
because the first character/keystroke is not recognised by 13.1.

I also have the ThinkPad laptop which also has an Intel cpu and any
kernel above 3.11.x causes a "kernel panic" when I try to boot the
laptop with kernel 3.12.x (which is what I am using on my [this] Desktop).

Too much unsupervised "development" with too much haste is my view on
the situation.)

BC

jdd@dodin.org
Le 25/12/2013 06:06, Basil Chupin a écrit :
> What IS wrong with VLC and k3b in 13.1?
>
> I cannot play Blu-ray files using VLC in 13.1 even though I have (as

sorry if you already said that in the other thread, but I do not
remember if you installed from scratch or updated an old config? in my
case I prefered to create brand new 13.1.

let me say, speaking of Blu-Ray disks that I have a USB writer since
at least two years.

There is no present way I know to *create* video BD from Linux,
windows mandatory for this, but in fact I nearly never do so, I simply
copy to BD my mp4 files, any BD reader I have being able also to read mp4.

That said, The "wodim" variant of cdrecord is not maintained since
years and do not manage very well BD. For example, last time I chacked
(may be one year ago), writing a full BD could take several hours.

So I use cdrecord from Joerg Shilling, available in OBS. with
cdrecord, a BD is written in approx 25 minutes in mu old USB writer.

but this also means that I have a repository from OBS,
"multimedia:apps and multimedia:libs" and it makes it sometime
difficile to know what come from where.

most if not all of my multimedia app come from packman.

Have a three years old i5 computer with 8Gb ram

> I cannot do a copy of, eg, a CD using k3b - keeps coming up with an
> error of not being able to open the disc

I just tested k3b perfectly copy a cd.

I had some problems writing a BD with k3b. That is I can use k3b to
create the iso file, but I got an unusable BD (unreadabme anywhere).
Not necessarily k3b fault, cd/dvd/BD are not specially reliable, for
example very picky about finger prints on the burnig side, but I
prefere to use k3b to create the iso and then use command line
"cdrecord dev=6,0,0, -burn-free name.iso" to burn and I did so without
problem yesterday.

> 13.1 = crap.
>
> Why?

something in your config, for sure

> Anybody suggest, please, steps to take to resolve this situation?

- what is the k3b error message, if any?

- try the original cdrecord from obs

 > cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a19 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 1995-2013 Joerg Schilling

jdd
NB : Happy Christmas for all of you, folks :-)

--
http://www.dodin.org

Le 25/12/2013 07:03, Basil Chupin a écrit :

> Too much unsupervised "development" with too much haste is my view on
> the situation.)

have had no problem at all with early 13.1

do you install default options from scratch?

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Werner Flamme-2
[25.12.2013 07:03] [Basil Chupin]:

> I also have the ThinkPad laptop which also has an Intel cpu and any
> kernel above 3.11.x causes a "kernel panic" when I try to boot the
> laptop with kernel 3.12.x (which is what I am using on my [this] Desktop).

My thinkpad has no problems running with kernel 3.12.6 (Tumbleweed).

> Too much unsupervised "development" with too much haste is my view on
> the situation.)

Surely not with openSUSE 13.1, in my opinion :-P

Werner

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Ralph DeWitt-2
On Wednesday, December 25, 2013 04:06:06 PM Basil Chupin wrote:

> What IS wrong with VLC and k3b in 13.1?
>
> I cannot play Blu-ray files using VLC in 13.1 even though I have (as far
> as I know) all the necessary files installed - yet I can play the same
> Bd discs (or rather open the Directory-ies or execute individual m2ts
> files) in openSUsE 12.3.
>
> I cannot do a copy of, eg, a CD using k3b - keeps coming up with an
> error of not being able to open the disc - in 13.1 while k3b in 12.3
> happily and without any drama makes a copy of any CD I "throw" at it!
>
> 12.3 = OK.
>
> 13.1 = crap.
>
> Why?
>
> I have another thread here which I started days ago, Subject "13.1 +
vlc
> + Blu-ray", but now k3b is involved so I thought it best to start a new
> thread.
>
> MOST frustrating re above simply because both work as expected in
12.3
> but suddenly 13.1 goes belly-up re these 2 applications.
>
> Anybody suggest, please, steps to take to resolve this situation?
>
> BC
>

> PS To see what I am using as a system look at my Signature line(s)
but
> for those whose mail clients are unable to handle Signatures then
mine is:

> Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.0 & kernel 3.12.5-2 on a system
with-
> AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
> 16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel Corsair "Vengeance" RAM
> Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX660 OC 2GB DDR5 GPU
I believe the problem lies with the Packman repo. K3B is broke see
opensuse bug 852421 and KDE bug 328258. These are one and the
same. It is hard to get good information on the bug.
This has me wondering if there is a better way to do multimedia.
Perhaps Opensuse should provide the K3B package and others and
Packman supply the multimedia codecs, similar to the way Kunbuntu
and it's derivatives does it This bug has me frustrated and wondering if
I need to abandon Opensuse for some other distro so that I can get my
basic multimedia work flow done. There does not seem to be much
action to fix the bug/bug's.
--
Yours

Ralph

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2013-12-25 13:13, Ralph DeWitt wrote:
> This has me wondering if there is a better way to do multimedia.
> Perhaps Opensuse should provide the K3B package and others and
> Packman supply the multimedia codecs, similar to the way Kunbuntu
> and it's derivatives does it This bug has me frustrated and wondering if
> I need to abandon Opensuse for some other distro so that I can get my
> basic multimedia work flow done. There does not seem to be much
> action to fix the bug/bug's.

I don't use k3b from packman, I see no reason to do so. It is only needed, AFAIK, to create audio
CDs out from mp3 tracks, and that is an operation I do not need.

        (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Elessar))

Le 25/12/2013 13:13, Ralph DeWitt a écrit :

> I believe the problem lies with the Packman repo. K3B is broke see
> opensuse bug 852421 and KDE bug 328258. These are one and the
> same. It is hard to get good information on the bug.

it's a reading error, so nothing to do with lame or mp3.

k3b use to make things with external modules, but I couldn't find wich
one is used for audio cd reading

I use ripit or simply dolphin to rip my cd's

If I find time I will try to add this to the bugreport (but today I
have to be with my family :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Rajko M.
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 17:03:40 +1100
Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eh, I have Packman running out of my ears, John.
>
> Everything I have installed comes from Packman.

Working installation:

k3b
        Alternate Installed Version
Version: 2.0.2-18.2 2.0.2-18.2

k3b-codecs
        Alternate Installed Version
Version: 2.0.2-18.2 2.0.80.git20131118-2.4

New working installation:

k3b
        Alternate Installed Version
Version: 2.0.2-18.2 2.0.2-18.2

k3b-codecs
        Alternate Installed Version
Version: 2.0.2-18.2 2.0.2-18.2

Although, it did not work with both k3b, and k3b-codecs versions from
git 2.0.80.git20131118-2.4 .

Also, I did not test mp3, just ogg files.

--
Regards, Rajko.

Le 25/12/2013 23:58, Rajko a écrit :

> Working installation:
>
> k3b
> Alternate Installed Version
> Version: 2.0.2-18.2 2.0.2-18.2

> Although, it did not work with both k3b, and k3b-codecs versions from
> git 2.0.80.git20131118-2.4 .

I can confirm this. The two versions come from packman. This have
nothing to see with mp3, but I noticed the difference from the two
versions is much more export options from the 2.0.80 than the 2.0.2

this is reported upstream and have nothing to do with openSUSE AFIAK

notice tghat the working version have nearly the same error messages
in xterm, but it don't crash :-)

so EOT for me

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Bugzilla from hdixon@bigpond.net.au
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 16:06:06 +1100
Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What IS wrong with VLC and k3b in 13.1?
--snip--

> BC
>

> PS To see what I am using as a system look at my Signature line(s)
> but for those whose mail clients are unable to handle Signatures then
> mine is:
>
> Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.0 & kernel 3.12.5-2 on a system with-
> AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
> 16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel Corsair "Vengeance" RAM
> Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX660 OC 2GB DDR5 GPU

Basil,
Are you still having trouble?

I had major difficulties with packman and kaffeine.
I found
        http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/
(from http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php) works file,

but that
        http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/
(from http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories) was not
so good.

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/ looks to me as if it
could be a suspect link (perhaps you know something about this site) but
it seems to have fixed my kaffeine multimedia problems....

HTH
Hugh

On Friday, December 27, 2013 05:14:22 PM h wrote:
> I had major difficulties with packman and kaffeine.
> I found
>         http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/
> (from http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php) works file,
>
> but that
>         http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/
> (from http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories) was
not
> so good.
>
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/ looks to me as if it
> could be a suspect link (perhaps you know something about this
site) but
> it seems to have fixed my kaffeine multimedia problems....
>
> HTH
> Hugh
Hugh:
You are right. The packages from this link
http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/ seem to be broken. Do not know
how this repo got added to my list of repositories but I disabled it and
updated/downgraded k3b and vlc and k3b now works as it should.

Thank you Basil and Hugh for your help in tracking this problem down.
The pressure to get K3B working and seeing no fixes coming down the
line almost had me abandoning Opensuse for another distro. So
thankful for your help in tracking down this problem.
.

--
Yours

Ralph

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 12/27/2013 08:48 AM, Ralph DeWitt pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> On Friday, December 27, 2013 05:14:22 PM h wrote:
>> I had major difficulties with packman and kaffeine.
>> I found
>>          http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/
>> (from http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php) works file,
>>
>> but that
>>          http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/
>> (from http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories) was
> not
>> so good.
>>
>> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/ looks to me as if it
>> could be a suspect link (perhaps you know something about this
> site) but
>> it seems to have fixed my kaffeine multimedia problems....
>>
>> HTH
>> Hugh
> Hugh:
> You are right. The packages from this link
> http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/ seem to be broken. Do not know
> how this repo got added to my list of repositories but I disabled it and
> updated/downgraded k3b and vlc and k3b now works as it should.
>
> Thank you Basil and Hugh for your help in tracking this problem down.
> The pressure to get K3B working and seeing no fixes coming down the
> line almost had me abandoning Opensuse for another distro. So
> thankful for your help in tracking down this problem.
> .

The packman repo provided via the "community" repos list had some build
problems and is being fixed or has been fixed.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Clayton-29
> On Friday, December 27, 2013 05:14:22 PM h wrote:
>> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/ looks to me as if it
>> could be a suspect link (perhaps you know something about this
> site) but
>> it seems to have fixed my kaffeine multimedia problems....

The gwdg site is the University of Gottingen, a long-standing mirror
site for virtually every Linux distro. I'd say it's not a suspect
link.... it's one you can trust.

openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, KDE 4.11

On 27/12/13 17:14, h wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 16:06:06 +1100
> Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What IS wrong with VLC and k3b in 13.1?
> --snip--
>> BC
>>

>> PS To see what I am using as a system look at my Signature line(s)
>> but for those whose mail clients are unable to handle Signatures then
>> mine is:
>>
>> Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.0 & kernel 3.12.5-2 on a system with-
>> AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
>> 16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel Corsair "Vengeance" RAM
>> Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX660 OC 2GB DDR5 GPU
>>
> Basil,
> Are you still having trouble?
>
> I had major difficulties with packman and kaffeine.
> I found
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/
> (from http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php) works file,
>
> but that
> http://packman.inode.at/suse/Factory/
> (from http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories) was not
> so good.
>
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/13.1/ looks to me as if it
> could be a suspect link (perhaps you know something about this site) but
> it seems to have fixed my kaffeine multimedia problems....
>
> HTH
> Hugh

Sheesh! Sorry! :-( . I just saw that I had not looked at this thread
since December and therefore have not responded to your message.

Yes, I am still having trouble with VLC playing Bd discs.

There appears to have been a change in that at least now VLC will
*start* to play the Bd disc but the play is a start/stop/start/stop
affair (5 seconds on, 2 seconds off) as I mentioned earlier :-( .

Damn annoying.

I have been using a player in Windows  to view Bd discs which is why I
haven't been back to this thread - until a few minutes ago.

The VLC I have installed in 13.1 is from the packman repo (I just checked).

BC

--
Secrecy is completely inadequate for democracy but totally appropriate
for tyranny. If the minister will not inform the public, then we are

   Malcolm Fraser - Former Prime Minister of Australia, February 2014

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Anton Aylward-2
On 27/02/14 01:32 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> The VLC I have installed in 13.1 is from the packman repo (I just checked).

I too am having problems with sound files under 13.1
My voip phone system sends me voice mail messages as .wav files.
I can't play any of them now I have 13.1 running.
VLC says it can't handle some encoding and that there's nothing can be
done; xine starts then does nothing - I can't even select the media.
It also doens't go away when I click the "x" at the top right of the window!

Amarok plays for a couple of seconds then dies.
If I start Amarok manually I get only the script console...

I'm trying others but am at a loss as to why these two stalwarts are
problematic.

Le 10/03/2014 15:17, Anton Aylward a écrit :

> On 27/02/14 01:32 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>> The VLC I have installed in 13.1 is from the packman repo (I just checked).
>
> I too am having problems with sound files under 13.1
> My voip phone system sends me voice mail messages as .wav files.
> I can't play any of them now I have 13.1 running.
> VLC says it can't handle some encoding and that there's nothing can be done;
> xine starts then does nothing - I can't even select the media.
> It also doens't go away when I click the "x" at the top right of the window!
>
> Amarok plays for a couple of seconds then dies.
> If I start Amarok manually I get only the script console...
>
> I'm trying others but am at a loss as to why these two stalwarts are problematic.

I have no such problem. Did you try Audacity?

may be you have to install lame (just a guess)?

that said, I use *many* audio/video apps and have many things installed

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org

On 10/03/14 10:34 AM, jdd wrote:

> I have no such problem. Did you try Audacity?

Why would I want an EDITOR?
I just want to play the things.

> may be you have to install lame (just a guess)?

Did that.

VLC still says
"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "agsm". Unfortunately
there is no way for you to fix this."

--
E pluribus unum. (Out of many, one.)
- Motto for the Seal of the United States. Adopted 20 June 1782,

Re: What IS wrong with multimedia in 13.1?!

Ricardo Chung
On Monday, March 10, 2014 09:08:16 PM Anton Aylward wrote:

> On 10/03/14 10:34 AM, jdd wrote:
> > I have no such problem. Did you try Audacity?
>
> Why would I want an EDITOR?
> I just want to play the things.
>
> > may be you have to install lame (just a guess)?
>
> Did that.
>
> VLC still says
> "No suitable decoder module:
> VLC does not support the audio or video format "agsm". Unfortunately
> there is no way for you to fix this."

Maybe I missed it on this thread.

Did you switched all multimedia packages from Packman Repository with vendor
change? In case it was not done, doing It could solve several multimedia
issues.

Regards,

R.Chung