Wayland Testing on Tumbleweed

Mike Noe
I've been reading the plasma-devel list, specifically the comments on
5.12 and Wayland.  I'd like help test Wayland/Plasma5 using Tumbleweed,
especially the multi-monitor support, as this is the one biggee that is
holding me back.

Is there a formal testing "area'?  It seems the KDE "unstable" repos are
somewhat active.  Would these be the repos to use for latest
Wayland/Plasma5 git?  I see that Neon is an option as well, but it would
be nice to stick with TW.

For example, right now, I'm using Frameworks5/Extras/Applications repos
as "daily drivers".  If I try the Wayland session, there two major stoppers:

1.  Logout crashes/hangs (seems to be a known issue)
2.  Multi-mon is simply not supported.  Turning on/plugging in a second
monitor immediately crashes the desktop and some apps.  It appears this
is known as well, to some degree.  KScreen gui, kscreen-console and
kscreen-doctor do not allow the setting up the monitors.

So, where to report this stuff on bugzilla?  Opensuse or upstream directly.

Thx,
Mike

Re: Wayland Testing on Tumbleweed

Luca Beltrame
In data mercoledì 11 ottobre 2017 17:39:59 CEST, Mike Noe ha scritto:

Hello Mike,

> Is there a formal testing "area'?  It seems the KDE "unstable" repos are
> somewhat active.  Would these be the repos to use for latest
> Wayland/Plasma5 git?  I see that Neon is an option as well, but it would

Yes, they are updated once a day at 20 UTC+1. If you don't feel comfortable in
installing packages (they overwrite the regular ones) you can use a Krypton
live image (built daily after the unstable repository update).
Bear in mind that after the planned OBS outage this weekend, the repository
will be switched to use the Qt 5.10 beta.

> So, where to report this stuff on bugzilla?  Opensuse or upstream directly.

First, see if the issue is still present in current master (via Krypton or the
Unstable repositories). If so, file a bug upstream.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter

Re: Wayland Testing on Tumbleweed

Oliver Kurz-2
On Thursday, 12 October 2017 15:03:09 CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:

> In data mercoledì 11 ottobre 2017 17:39:59 CEST, Mike Noe ha scritto:
>
> Hello Mike,
>
> > Is there a formal testing "area'?  It seems the KDE "unstable" repos are
> > somewhat active.  Would these be the repos to use for latest
> > Wayland/Plasma5 git?  I see that Neon is an option as well, but it would
>
> Yes, they are updated once a day at 20 UTC+1. If you don't feel comfortable
> in installing packages (they overwrite the regular ones) you can use a
> Krypton live image (built daily after the unstable repository update).
> Bear in mind that after the planned OBS outage this weekend, the repository
> will be switched to use the Qt 5.10 beta.
>
> > So, where to report this stuff on bugzilla?  Opensuse or upstream
> > directly.
>
> First, see if the issue is still present in current master (via Krypton or
> the Unstable repositories). If so, file a bug upstream.

Also see the openQA tests of openSUSE Krypton:
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/504722

Every time KDE:unstable is updated and a new live medium is successfully built
a new openQA test of openSUSE Krypton including one test scenario for wayland
is executed. I suggest to take a look there if the test can already reproduce
issues as well. And contributions to the test extensions are also welcome.

See http://open.qa for more information regarding openQA.