Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Flavio Castelli-3
Hi, Virtualbox is currently broken on tumbleweed because its kernel
module has not been rebuilt against the latest kernel release.

Right now on my machine I have the following packages:

virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
kernel-desktop-4.2.1-1.2.x86_64

I thought a kernel upgrade should automatically trigger a rebuilt of the
virtualbox kernel packages.

Cheers
Flavio

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Larry Finger
On 10/06/2015 10:37 AM, Flavio Castelli wrote:

> Hi, Virtualbox is currently broken on tumbleweed because its kernel module has
> not been rebuilt against the latest kernel release.
>
> Right now on my machine I have the following packages:
>
> virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> kernel-desktop-4.2.1-1.2.x86_64
>
> I thought a kernel upgrade should automatically trigger a rebuilt of the
> virtualbox kernel packages.

I thought so as well, but it seems not to be the case. If any gurus can shed
light on this issue, please jump in here.

I just checked out virtualbox from Factory, and it built for kernel 4.1.6-3.0.
Why that kernel was selected is also a mystery.

Larry

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 11:02 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

> On 10/06/2015 10:37 AM, Flavio Castelli wrote:
> > Hi, Virtualbox is currently broken on tumbleweed because its kernel
> > module has
> > not been rebuilt against the latest kernel release.
> >
> > Right now on my machine I have the following packages:
> >
> > virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
> > virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> > virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> > kernel-desktop-4.2.1-1.2.x86_64
> >
> > I thought a kernel upgrade should automatically trigger a rebuilt
> > of the
> > virtualbox kernel packages.
>
> I thought so as well, but it seems not to be the case. If any gurus
> can shed
> light on this issue, please jump in here.
>
> I just checked out virtualbox from Factory, and it built for kernel
> 4.1.6-3.0.
> Why that kernel was selected is also a mystery.

Rebuilds are triggered - but they only have an effect if the package
builds.

Follow for example the thread about the latest TW snapshot release at
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00161.html

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op Tuesday 06 October 2015 17:37:04 schreef Flavio Castelli:

> Hi, Virtualbox is currently broken on tumbleweed because its kernel
> module has not been rebuilt against the latest kernel release.
>
> Right now on my machine I have the following packages:
>
> virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> kernel-desktop-4.2.1-1.2.x86_64
>
> I thought a kernel upgrade should automatically trigger a rebuilt of the
> virtualbox kernel packages.
>
> Cheers
> Flavio
Same goes for X11:Bumblebee:bbswitch. Building in Factory was "blocked" though
I saw the no of packages blocking go down today.
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Adam Tauno Williams
Quoting Flavio Castelli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi, Virtualbox is currently broken on tumbleweed because its kernel
> module has not been rebuilt against the latest kernel release.

Yes, attempting to start a VM fails with:

   The virtual machine 'Win7 Morrison' has terminated unexpectedly
during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
   Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
   Component: MachineWrap  Interface: IMachine
{f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

> Right now on my machine I have the following packages:
> virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> kernel-desktop-4.2.1-1.2.x86_64

virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
python-virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
virtualbox-qt-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64

RE: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Roger Oberholtzer-3
____________________________________
> Yes, attempting to start a VM fails with:

>   The virtual machine 'Win7 Morrison' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
>   Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
>  Component: MachineWrap  Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

I saw this on Leap as well. I think the problem is that the install does not enable the kernel drivers. I rebooted the machine and then it worked fine (happily running a 32-bit client in the 64-bit host!). I guess I could also have found how it is enabled and not really have to reboot. But I did so anyway.

So for Leap at least it was not a problem with the drivers themselves.

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

On 10/09/2015 07:38 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Yes, attempting to start a VM fails with:
>
>    The virtual machine 'Win7 Morrison' has terminated unexpectedly during
> startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
>    Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
>    Component: MachineWrap  Interface: IMachine
> {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
>
> virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
> python-virtualbox-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.4_k4.1.6_3-1.1.x86_64
> virtualbox-qt-5.0.4-1.1.x86_64

Apparently, there are many possible reasons for this error, but the most common
is that the kernel modules that are installed do not match the running kernel.
Please post the output of 'uname -r' so that we know which kernel you are using.

As noted in earlier messages today, the problems with the build of virtualbox in
Tumbleweed have been fixed. Unfortunately, that new version cannot be released
as there are now problems with booting that have nothing to do with booting.

Larry

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 10/09/2015 12:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2015-10-09 16:57, Larry Finger wrote:
>> As noted in earlier messages today, the problems with the build of
>> virtualbox in Tumbleweed have been fixed. Unfortunately, that new
>> version cannot be released as there are now problems with booting
>> that have nothing to do with booting.
>
> Use the update repo :-)

Yeppers, one of those rare instances for the update repo in TW.

--
Ken Schneider

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Richard Brown
On 9 October 2015 at 20:09, Ken Schneider - Factory
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/09/2015 12:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> On 2015-10-09 16:57, Larry Finger wrote:
>>>
>>> As noted in earlier messages today, the problems with the build of
>>> virtualbox in Tumbleweed have been fixed. Unfortunately, that new
>>> version cannot be released as there are now problems with booting
>>> that have nothing to do with booting.
>>

>> Use the update repo :-)
>>

> Yeppers, one of those rare instances for the update repo in TW.

Personally, I'd much rather see people use this as an opportunity to
move to a more 'proper' desktop virtualisation option, like KVM +
virt-manager or KVM + GNOME boxes

Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ which under security has a policy
with it's security updates that's so untransparent it makes me very
nervous

Sure, on Windows, it's the only viable FOSS desktop virtualisation
option, so we can't ignore it entirely, but on Linux, we have a much
better option with KVM, I really think people should use it.

On 9 October 2015 at 21:09, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ which under security has a policy
>with it's security updates that's so untransparent it makes me very
>nervous

Should really proof read stuff before sending..

What I meant to say was.. Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ with a
security policy that lacking any transparency - it makes me very
nervous that stuff could be going on under the radar, which is not a
level of risk I want to take with my hypervisors

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Erwin Van de Velde
Hi all,

First of all, I want to say that I do appreciate the work people put
into Tumbleweed and I do not want to be too negative.

However :-) I would like to see missing packages like the kermel
modules preventing Virtualbox from working properly to be treated as a
bit more critical and updated sooner. Many people use Virtualbox and
this package has been missing for more than a week now. I know you can
just use the previous kernel to have it working, but fixing this
sooner or, even better, preventing the release of the kernel when
important kernel modules do not build properly would be nice in my
opinion.

So please consider this as a question and in a constructive way as I
really like Tumbleweed.

Kind regards,
Erwin

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 October 2015 at 21:09, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ which under security has a policy
>>with it's security updates that's so untransparent it makes me very
>>nervous
>
> Should really proof read stuff before sending..
>
> What I meant to say was.. Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ with a
> security policy that lacking any transparency - it makes me very
> nervous that stuff could be going on under the radar, which is not a
> level of risk I want to take with my hypervisors

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Richard Brown
Erwin,

If you want to make sure that virtualbox is considered in the release
criteria for Tumbleweed, then you need to make sure it's tested in
openQA

You (or someone else) will need to write a test (or a series of tests)
to install, configure and run virtualbox

https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/blob/master/docs/WritingTests.asciidoc

Then submit it to the opensuse openQA test repository

https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst-distri-opensuse

You'll need to modify the 'main.pm' to execute those new tests in the
appropriate time (probably part of the load_x11tests subroutine)

And of course, your biggest challenge will be either figuring out how
to get virtualbox inside KVM (our default platform for testing in
openQA), or resurrecting and refining the old openQA virtualbox
backend to match the feature set of the qemu one (
https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst/blob/master/backend/vbox.pm
)
or donating supermicro server hardware to openSUSE so we can use that
as a 'real hardware' test using our IPMI backend

or, you could reconsider your use of virtualbox and consider using
KVM/GNOME Boxes/virt-manager instead

With well documented issues such as
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/15/oracle_virtualbox_security_updates/
and considering the fundamental fact that something in the kernel is
infinitely less likely to break than some module, you really need a
compelling reason to convince me that Virtualbox is a better choice
for desktop virtualisation, and so far your reasoning that 'it should
be treated as critical' does not sway my opinion in the face of the
facts as I see them.

I don't think it's critical, and I don't see why we should treat it as
critical when we have alternatives that have the same features that we
do treat as critical and are easier for us to support, more reliable
for our users, and with an upstream who doesn't hide their security
processes..

Of course..what I want doesn't matter if other people do the work to
make something else happen, hence all those juicy links above, pick
your path and have a lot of fun :)

Op zaterdag 10 oktober 2015 14:41:48 schreef Erwin Van de Velde:
> However :-) I would like to see missing packages like the kermel
> modules preventing Virtualbox from working properly to be treated as a
> bit more critical and updated sooner.

It's not just Virtualbox. Those of us having NVIDIA Optimus experience the
same thing re. bbswitch.
On an already running TW this IMHO should result in the system not updating
the kernel, since the updates for the installed kmp packages have not been
built yet.
On a fresh TW install this has resulted in the issue as mentioned, I now know
the same is going on for bbswitch-kmp-kernelflavour. Kernel is 4.2.1, kmp
packacges are built for kernel 4.1.6, which won't work.
I assume this happens for the other kmp packages as well.

@Erwin: in the dutch subforums I posted about my getting around this issue
using osc.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Takashi Iwai
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:41:48 +0200,
Erwin Van de Velde wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First of all, I want to say that I do appreciate the work people put
> into Tumbleweed and I do not want to be too negative.
>
> However :-) I would like to see missing packages like the kermel
> modules preventing Virtualbox from working properly to be treated as a
> bit more critical and updated sooner. Many people use Virtualbox and
> this package has been missing for more than a week now. I know you can
> just use the previous kernel to have it working, but fixing this
> sooner or, even better, preventing the release of the kernel when
> important kernel modules do not build properly would be nice in my
> opinion.
>
> So please consider this as a question and in a constructive way as I
> really like Tumbleweed.

It's an interesting question whether we can catch a virtualbox issue
on openQA.  Does the nested VM work?

For a KMP build problem, it's easy to see, though.  We can set up an
OBS project (e.g. Kernel:stable:KMP) building only KMPs based on the
latest Kernel:stable.  We have already something similar for SLE, and
this has helped to catch build issues beforehand.

Takashi

> Kind regards,
> Erwin
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 9 October 2015 at 21:09, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ which under security has a policy
> >>with it's security updates that's so untransparent it makes me very
> >>nervous
> >
> > Should really proof read stuff before sending..
> >
> > What I meant to say was.. Virtualbox is a flaky pile of _____ with a
> > security policy that lacking any transparency - it makes me very
> > nervous that stuff could be going on under the radar, which is not a
> > level of risk I want to take with my hypervisors

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Richard Brown
> resurrecting and refining the old openQA virtualbox
> backend to match the feature set of the qemu one (
> https://github.com/os-autoinst/os-autoinst/blob/master/backend/vbox.pm
> )

Actually, scratch that, the vbox backend would be useless in this
case, the only options for testing this kind of failure condition
would be seeing if we can run vbox nested in KVM or on real hardware

Op zaterdag 10 oktober 2015 16:07:29 schreef Richard Brown:
> Erwin,

Richard,

it's not just Virtualbox. Found out on thursday that the same goes for
bbswitch ( and probably other kmp's ). The latest TW released snapshot has
kernel 4.2.1, bbswitch-kmp-$KERNEL_FLAVOR is built against 4.1.6
A post re. Virtualbox by Dimstar hinted me to give osc a go, and I managed to
get the kmp built on my laptop, but that's not the way every new TW user ( or
one that wants a clean install ) should have to use IMHO.

Shouldn't there be a mechanism that at least waits for the kmp's to be of the
same version as the included kernel before a snapshot is released. Admit I'm
not deep enough into the technical aspects of this re. openQA.
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Andrei Borzenkov
10.10.2015 17:11, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink пишет:

> Op zaterdag 10 oktober 2015 14:41:48 schreef Erwin Van de Velde:
>> However :-) I would like to see missing packages like the kermel
>> modules preventing Virtualbox from working properly to be treated as a
>> bit more critical and updated sooner.
>
> It's not just Virtualbox. Those of us having NVIDIA Optimus experience the
> same thing re. bbswitch.
> On an already running TW this IMHO should result in the system not updating
> the kernel, since the updates for the installed kmp packages have not been
> built yet.

Do you have any suggestion how it can be implemented?

I.e. we have packages

kernel-v1
kernel-v2
kernel-kmp-v1
kernel-kmp-v2

What Requires or Conflicts should be added to each package that allow

- installing all packages at the same time on a system
- not allowing installing kernel-v2 if kernel-kmp-v2 is missing

Given that kernel package obviously can *not* list every KMP as
prerequisites.

I do not see how it can be expressed using package dependency. Nor RPM
has any way to gracefully block installation.

I think it could be implemented as trigger that runs before kernel
package is installed and basically tests that

for each KMP installed on system
   if KMP for new kernel is not available
     fail

Small implementation details are a) how to find KMP and b) how to find
KMP for new kernel.

And even in this case installation of new KMP may fail or it may not
function so you *must* be prepared to cope with this situation.

> On a fresh TW install this has resulted in the issue as mentioned, I now know
> the same is going on for bbswitch-kmp-kernelflavour. Kernel is 4.2.1, kmp
> packacges are built for kernel 4.1.6, which won't work.
> I assume this happens for the other kmp packages as well.
>
> @Erwin: in the dutch subforums I posted about my getting around this issue
> using osc.

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Erwin Van de Velde
Hi all,

Thank you for the interesting replies. The reason I see it as critical
is that Virtualbox is still a very popular way to do virtualization
and e.g. vagrant builds by default Virtualbox VMs. I have experience
with KVM as well, but since I rely heavily on vagrant for some of my
work and the libvirt plugin is not installed by default, i stuck to
Virtualbox. I will try the libvirt plugin I think :)

I am not familiar with OpenQA but can have a look. Is there no easier
way for this issue? It should not really involve testing as it is more
a dependency issue: TW should not push a kernel update as long as KMP
packages are not ready. As mentioned by Gertjan, there are other KMP
modules missing too, which can have a more severe impact on a user's
system.

It is all very interesting and I will certainly have a look, but on
some occasions I also just want to be a user, there is already so much
work to do, as is the case for all of us of course :)

Kind regards,
Erwin

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op zaterdag 10 oktober 2015 16:07:29 schreef Richard Brown:
>> Erwin,
>
> Richard,
>
> it's not just Virtualbox. Found out on thursday that the same goes for
> bbswitch ( and probably other kmp's ). The latest TW released snapshot has
> kernel 4.2.1, bbswitch-kmp-$KERNEL_FLAVOR is built against 4.1.6
> A post re. Virtualbox by Dimstar hinted me to give osc a go, and I managed to
> get the kmp built on my laptop, but that's not the way every new TW user ( or
> one that wants a clean install ) should have to use IMHO.
>
> Shouldn't there be a mechanism that at least waits for the kmp's to be of the
> same version as the included kernel before a snapshot is released. Admit I'm
> not deep enough into the technical aspects of this re. openQA.
> --
> Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht
>
> Official openSUSE Member
> openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed

Francisco J. Tsao Santin
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, Erwin Van de Velde wrote:

> with KVM as well, but since I rely heavily on vagrant for some of my
> work and the libvirt plugin is not installed by default, i stuck to
> Virtualbox. I will try the libvirt plugin I think :)

I run Vagrant with libvirt plugin on openSUSE 13.2 and it works fine :-)

--
Francisco Javier Tsao Santín
http://gattaca.es