'Virtual' machines

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
using WINE?
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

Jerry Feldman-2
On Thursday 10 August 2006 8:22 am, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
> be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
> using WINE?
Are you trying to say, that you have a Windows box and that you want it to
display on a Linux box?
You certainly can run Windows applications under WINE. You can also run
Windows and Linux on the same box using VMWare, Win4Lin, or other virtual
solutions.
--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

James Swanson

On Thursday, August 10, 2006, at 02:56PM, James Swanson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 10, 2006, at 02:54PM, Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 10 August 2006 8:22 am, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
>>> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
>>> be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
>>> using WINE?
>>Are you trying to say, that you have a Windows box and that you want it to
>>display on a Linux box?
>>You certainly can run Windows applications under WINE. You can also run
>>Windows and Linux on the same box using VMWare, Win4Lin, or other virtual
>>solutions.
>>--
>>Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
>>Boston Linux and Unix user group
>>http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9
>>PGP Key fingerprint:053C 73EC 3AC1 5C44 3E14 9245 FB00 3ED5 C506 1EA9
>>
>>--
>>For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
>>Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
>>Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]
>>

>--
>For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
>Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
>Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

richard-g8jvm
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 14:22 +0200, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
> be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
> using WINE?

You should be able to use tightvnc to do this.
Install on both the winyuk box and the linux machine.
Configure the winyuk machine as a server.
Another way of doing it is to use the inbuilt vnc server, its list on a
winXP thing as allow another user to help, or something like that.
If you use that facility you will neeed to run a virtual machine, VMWare
or Parallels. Win4lin will only let you run win98 or the later version
win2000, If you use the inbuilt vnc on winXP you need to talk to it from
another winXP machine either real or virtual.

IMO the simplest solution is to use tighnvc, install on both machines.

HTH
Richard

> Currently using SuSE 9.2 Professional with KDE and Mozilla 1.7.2
> Linux user # 229959 at http://counter.li.org
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

Marlier, Ian
On 8/10/06 8:22 AM, "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
> be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
> using WINE?

If I'm reading the question correctly, you're not looking for WINE...you're
looking for VNC or Remote Desktop -- something that will allow you to
connect to the Windows machine and start a program.

If that is the case, look into enabling Remote Desktop on the Windows box
(it's enabled by default on Windows Server, but disabled by default on
WinXP); or installing a VNC server (TightVNC -- http://www.tightvnc.org/ --
is one that I've used pretty regularly over the past few years)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

James Knott
Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
> be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
> using WINE?

No.  Wine is used to run Windows apps on the Linux box, not remote
systems.  You'd need to use VNC or other remote control app.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

stephan beal
On Thursday 10 August 2006 21:14, James Knott wrote:
> Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> > I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it
> > currently be possible to run a Windows application on its own box
> > from SuSE Linux using WINE?
>
> No.  Wine is used to run Windows apps on the Linux box, not remote
> systems.  You'd need to use VNC or other remote control app.

Though in theory you could mount C:\ over samba and run WINE using the
mounted Windows installation.

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: 'Virtual' machines

Theo v. Werkhoven
Thu, 10 Aug 2006, by [hidden email]:

<snip reply-less reply>

I'm sure those Cc-s you included love to see this same thing over
and over and over and..

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven    Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E.     +      ICQ: 277217131

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

James Knott
James Swanson wrote:

James, is there any reason why you're not adding text to your replies?
I've seen several messages from you, where you merely quote the original
message.  I've tried reading your mail in both Seamonkey and KMail.
Neither shows any original text from you.

stephan beal wrote:

> On Thursday 10 August 2006 21:14, James Knott wrote:
>> Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
>>> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it
>>> currently be possible to run a Windows application on its own box
>>> from SuSE Linux using WINE?
>> No.  Wine is used to run Windows apps on the Linux box, not remote
>> systems.  You'd need to use VNC or other remote control app.
>
> Though in theory you could mount C:\ over samba and run WINE using the
> mounted Windows installation.

That would not be running a Windows app on it's own box.  It's nothing
more than storing the executable on another computer and running it on
the Linux box.  That sort of thing has been common since the beginning
of file and print sharing.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

Bruce Marshall
On Thursday 10 August 2006 17:17, James Knott wrote:
> James Swanson wrote:
> >

> James, is there any reason why you're not adding text to your replies?
> I've seen several messages from you, where you merely quote the original
> message.  I've tried reading your mail in both Seamonkey and KMail.
> Neither shows any original text from you.

This is the fellow who was trying to unsubscribe and my guess is that he is
now "mad at the list" and is trying to "get back at it".   :-)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 'Virtual' machines

Kenneth Schneider-2
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 14:56 -0400, James Swanson wrote:

>  On Thursday, August 10, 2006, at 02:56PM, James Swanson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>Are you trying to say, that you have a Windows box and that you want it to
> >>display on a Linux box?
> >>You certainly can run Windows applications under WINE. You can also run
> >>Windows and Linux on the same box using VMWare, Win4Lin, or other virtual
> >>solutions.
> >>--
> >>Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
> >>Boston Linux and Unix user group
> >>http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9
> >>PGP Key fingerprint:053C 73EC 3AC1 5C44 3E14 9245 FB00 3ED5 C506 1EA9

Another user delegated to /dev/null. Six replies to emails and not one
added anything. Try using another email client James.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998

Ken Schneider wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 14:56 -0400, James Swanson wrote:

> Another user delegated to /dev/null. Six replies to emails and not one
> added anything. Try using another email client James.

User error.  Delete user? [Y/n]  ;-)

James Knott wrote:
> Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
>
>> I have two machines connected into a 10/100MB switch. Would it currently
>> be possible to run a Windows application on its own box from SuSE Linux
>> using WINE?
>

> No.  Wine is used to run Windows apps on the Linux box, not remote
> systems.  You'd need to use VNC or other remote control app.
Tnx James,

I keep getting confused/forgetting between WINE and VNC.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]