Virtual Box not working: Qt FATAL- can't find "xcb"...?

Virtual Box not working: Qt FATAL- can't find "xcb"...?

L A Walsh
I had VB working until a kernel update sometime ago.  Over the
weekend, I tried getting VB to work by re-installing.

Now I'm getting:
>  VirtualBox
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because it could not find or
load the Qt platform plugin "xcb".

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
offscreen, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl,
wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted

Re: Virtual Box not working: Qt FATAL- can't find "xcb"...?

David C. Rankin
On 06/13/2017 02:06 PM, L A Walsh wrote:

>>  VirtualBox
> Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because it could not find or load
> the Qt platform plugin "xcb".
>
> Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
> offscreen, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl,
> wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.
>
> Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
> Aborted
> ----------
>
> Ideas?

Blame your friends at freedesktop who like changing things up on a regular
basis and then distros for filtering the changes down on a 'when we get around
to it basis'.  There have been Xlib -> xcb changes over the past year or so
and that may be what you are running into. I haven't kept track of the changes
on opensuse, but I recall sometime within the past year or so on arch there
was complete package replacement related to xlib and xcb.

I haven't hit that issue with VB on 42.2, I presume because I'm using the rpm
from virtualbox.org. I would check here or on the factory list to see if
anyone can fill in the blanks on whether there have been any migrations during
the past couple of updates.

When I run into VB problems, you can try launching your VM from the command
line with

  $ VBoxManage startvm "name of your vm"

and see if you get any additional detail on what VB is looking for. Drop a
note if you uncover anything interesting.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.