Using package from another repository

James Ogley
I'm trying to build a new package, multisync-gui which requires -devel
packages from the OpenSync repo.  When I add those packages to
BuildRequires I get an expansion error.

Is it possible to utilise those packages without linking them from the
OpenSync repo into mine?
--
James Ogley
[hidden email] http://usr-local-bin.org

Re: Using package from another repository

Christoph Thiel
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, James Ogley wrote:

> I'm trying to build a new package, multisync-gui which requires -devel
> packages from the OpenSync repo.  When I add those packages to
> BuildRequires I get an expansion error.
>
> Is it possible to utilise those packages without linking them from the
> OpenSync repo into mine?

How about using the OpenSync as the base (instead of SUSE Linux X.Y). This
will make sure to take the packages out of the OpenSync repo first and
then fall back to SUSE Linux X.Y. But users will need to use the OpenSync
repo, too, otherwise they will face broken dependencies.

Regards
        Christoph

Re: Using package from another repository

James Ogley
> How about using the OpenSync as the base (instead of SUSE Linux X.Y). This
> will make sure to take the packages out of the OpenSync repo first and
> then fall back to SUSE Linux X.Y. But users will need to use the OpenSync
> repo, too, otherwise they will face broken dependencies.

I can't find the option to do this either in the web front end of the
documentation on osc at http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/CLI

Am I just being blind? :)
--
James Ogley
[hidden email] http://usr-local-bin.org
Packages for SUSE: http://usr-local-bin.org/rpms
Help end poverty: http://oxfam.org.uk/imin

Re: Using package from another repository

Christoph Thiel
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, James Ogley wrote:

> > How about using the OpenSync as the base (instead of SUSE Linux X.Y). This
> > will make sure to take the packages out of the OpenSync repo first and
> > then fall back to SUSE Linux X.Y. But users will need to use the OpenSync
> > repo, too, otherwise they will face broken dependencies.
>
> I can't find the option to do this either in the web front end of the
> documentation on osc at http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/CLI
>
> Am I just being blind? :)

You need to add a new build target (I guess that's how we call it ;)) and
use the advanced list to be able to select OpenSync.

Regards
        Christoph

Re: Using package from another repository

James Ogley
> You need to add a new build target (I guess that's how we call it ;)) and
> use the advanced list to be able to select OpenSync.

Ah, I see it now.

For the benefit of anyone else wondering how to do this...

On your project page, click Add Repository
Below the buttons you can see the link [Advanced]
Then, select the repository to use as a base and name what you want the
new repository to be called (do this otherwise you get what you select
from the list as the name)