Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Michal Marek
Hi,

you have probably noticed that the SUSE virtualization developers have
been working on porting features from the kernel-source patches.xen
series to the upstream Xen implementation. This mostly works nowadays,
so at the SUSE Labs Conference last month, we agreed to finally get rid
of kernel-xen in Factory and instead use kernel-default with CONFIG_XEN
(the mainline option) enabled. I prepared a branch on github

  https://github.com/michal42/kernel-source stable-noxen

which does exactly this. Test packages are building here:

  https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:michal-m:kernel-stable-noxen

The kernel boots and works on my machine, both on bare metal and under
the hypervisor (*), but there is some integration work to be done before
it can be submitted to Factory:

- The installer needs to cope with kernel-xen not available and choose
  kernel-default. Something like the attached patch should fix it
  (untested).
- perl-Bootloader: Right now, it creates a Xen multiboot entry if the
  kernel is named -xen, otherwise it creates a regular linux entry.
  Create both entries if the Xen hypervisor is installed?
- kernel-xen needs to be dropped from the patterns, but that's trivial
- We have been building a kernel-obs-build-xen package for the OBS
  workers, which now disappears.

Of course, there is lot more work to be done in making the xen -> pvops
transition seamless in all corner cases. But that should not be a
barrier to pushing the kernel to factory.

(*) With the -default kernel, I do not see the kernel messages on the
serial console with

kernel /boot/xen.gz com1=115200 console=com1,vga
module /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.2-0.g980fcdb-default ... console=tty0
console=ttyS0,115200

while I see them with kernel-xen.

Michal

0001-Kernel-Fall-back-to-kernel-default-on-Xen.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [opensuse-kernel] Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Michal Marek
Dne 27.10.2015 v 13:36 Juergen Gross napsal(a):

> Michal,
>
> On 10/02/2015 04:55 PM, Michal Marek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> you have probably noticed that the SUSE virtualization developers have
>> been working on porting features from the kernel-source patches.xen
>> series to the upstream Xen implementation. This mostly works nowadays,
>> so at the SUSE Labs Conference last month, we agreed to finally get rid
>> of kernel-xen in Factory and instead use kernel-default with CONFIG_XEN
>> (the mainline option) enabled. I prepared a branch on github
>>
>>    https://github.com/michal42/kernel-source stable-noxen
>>
>> which does exactly this. Test packages are building here:
>>

>> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:michal-m:kernel-stable-noxen
>>
>> The kernel boots and works on my machine, both on bare metal and under
>> the hypervisor (*), but there is some integration work to be done before
>> it can be submitted to Factory:
>>
>> - The installer needs to cope with kernel-xen not available and choose
>>    kernel-default. Something like the attached patch should fix it
>>    (untested).
>> - perl-Bootloader: Right now, it creates a Xen multiboot entry if the
>>    kernel is named -xen, otherwise it creates a regular linux entry.
>>    Create both entries if the Xen hypervisor is installed?
>> - kernel-xen needs to be dropped from the patterns, but that's trivial
>> - We have been building a kernel-obs-build-xen package for the OBS
>>    workers, which now disappears.
>
> Anything missing to make the move?

The installer needs to be updated (or at least, tested). I didn't have
time for this due to SLE12 SP1.

Michal

Re: Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Olaf Hering-2
On Fri, Oct 02, Michal Marek wrote:

> - perl-Bootloader: Right now, it creates a Xen multiboot entry if the
>   kernel is named -xen, otherwise it creates a regular linux entry.
>   Create both entries if the Xen hypervisor is installed?

grub2 should check if there is actually a /boot/xen.gz. With current TW
and kernel-default from master I get a 'openSUSE Tumbleweed, with Xen
hypervisor' without having xen.rpm installed.

Olaf

Re: Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Andrei Borzenkov
03.12.2015 22:16, Olaf Hering пишет:

> On Fri, Oct 02, Michal Marek wrote:
>
>> - perl-Bootloader: Right now, it creates a Xen multiboot entry if the
>>   kernel is named -xen, otherwise it creates a regular linux entry.
>>   Create both entries if the Xen hypervisor is installed?
>
> grub2 should check if there is actually a /boot/xen.gz. With current TW
> and kernel-default from master I get a 'openSUSE Tumbleweed, with Xen
> hypervisor' without having xen.rpm installed.

Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Michal Marek
On 2015-12-04 04:25, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> 03.12.2015 22:16, Olaf Hering пишет:
>> On Fri, Oct 02, Michal Marek wrote:
>>
>>> - perl-Bootloader: Right now, it creates a Xen multiboot entry if the
>>>   kernel is named -xen, otherwise it creates a regular linux entry.
>>>   Create both entries if the Xen hypervisor is installed?
>>
>> grub2 should check if there is actually a /boot/xen.gz. With current TW
>> and kernel-default from master I get a 'openSUSE Tumbleweed, with Xen
>> hypervisor' without having xen.rpm installed.
>>

> https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/346456

Is this change going to be released as an update for Leap, possibly also
13.2? Testing newer kernels on Leap or 13.2 is a bit annoying currently.

Michal

On Mon, Dec 07, Michal Marek wrote:

> Is this change going to be released as an update for Leap, possibly also
> 13.2? Testing newer kernels on Leap or 13.2 is a bit annoying currently.

I think this should depend on the availibility of an update-bootloader
call in xen.rpm. Since both released versions of xen.rpm run
update-bootloader in their %post it should be ok to update grub2 in 13.1+.

Olaf

Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Michael Chang
On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 04:22:38PM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, Michal Marek wrote:
>
> > Is this change going to be released as an update for Leap, possibly also
> > 13.2? Testing newer kernels on Leap or 13.2 is a bit annoying currently.
>
> I think this should depend on the availibility of an update-bootloader
> call in xen.rpm. Since both released versions of xen.rpm run
> update-bootloader in their %post it should be ok to update grub2 in 13.1+.

The next Leap:42.1 maintenace update should remove the workaround, I
will do 13.2 maintenace update for it soon.

Thanks,
Michael

On 2015-12-08 07:47, Michael Chang wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 04:22:38PM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 07, Michal Marek wrote:
>>
>>> Is this change going to be released as an update for Leap, possibly also
>>> 13.2? Testing newer kernels on Leap or 13.2 is a bit annoying currently.
>>
>> I think this should depend on the availibility of an update-bootloader
>> call in xen.rpm. Since both released versions of xen.rpm run
>> update-bootloader in their %post it should be ok to update grub2 in 13.1+.
>
> The next Leap:42.1 maintenace update should remove the workaround, I
> will do 13.2 maintenace update for it soon.

Great, thanks a lot Michael!

Michal

Re: Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Olaf Hering-2
On Fri, Oct 02, Michal Marek wrote:

> you have probably noticed that the SUSE virtualization developers have
> been working on porting features from the kernel-source patches.xen
> series to the upstream Xen implementation. This mostly works nowadays,

With 20151218 kernel-xen is gone. Upgrade appears to work in a dom0, but
not in a PV domU. How is kernel-default supposed to replace kernel-xen?
A simple zypper dup in the PV guest does not install kernel-default.
I assume the dup in dom0 works because kernel-default was installed in
addition to kernel-xen.

Is 'Provides: kernel-xen = 4.3.0-1' in kernel-xen compared to 'Provides:
kernel-xen = 4.3' in kernel-default the reason for the failed
transition?

Olaf

Dne 21.12.2015 v 12:17 Olaf Hering napsal(a):
> A simple zypper dup in the PV guest does not install kernel-default.
> I assume the dup in dom0 works because kernel-default was installed in
> addition to kernel-xen.
>
> Is 'Provides: kernel-xen = 4.3.0-1' in kernel-xen compared to 'Provides:
> kernel-xen = 4.3' in kernel-default the reason for the failed
> transition?

Which version of kernel-xen was installed in the guest?

Thanks,

On Mon, Dec 21, Michal Marek wrote:

> Which version of kernel-xen was installed in the guest?

kernel-xen = 4.3.0-1.1

Olaf

On Mon, Dec 21, Olaf Hering wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, Michal Marek wrote:
>
> > Which version of kernel-xen was installed in the guest?
>
> kernel-xen = 4.3.0-1.1

Even kernel-default-4.4 provides 'kernel-xen = 4.3'. As a result todays
TW snapshot still does not replace kernel-xen with kernel-default.

Olaf

On 2016-01-18 08:29, Olaf Hering wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, Olaf Hering wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, Michal Marek wrote:
>>
>>> Which version of kernel-xen was installed in the guest?
>>
>> kernel-xen = 4.3.0-1.1
>
> Even kernel-default-4.4 provides 'kernel-xen = 4.3'. As a result todays
> TW snapshot still does not replace kernel-xen with kernel-default.

I changed it to Provides: kernel-xen = 4.4, Obsoletes: kernel-xen <=
4.4. This should cover 4.3.<anything>.

Michal

Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Use pvops-enabled kernel for Xen (fate#315712)

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 20. Januar 2016 schrieb Michal Marek:

> On 2016-01-18 08:29, Olaf Hering wrote:
> >>
> >> kernel-xen = 4.3.0-1.1
> >
> > Even kernel-default-4.4 provides 'kernel-xen = 4.3'. As a result
> > todays TW snapshot still does not replace kernel-xen with
> > kernel-default.
> I changed it to Provides: kernel-xen = 4.4, Obsoletes: kernel-xen <=
> 4.4. This should cover 4.3.<anything>.

"<= 4.4" will also cover 4.4, so the package will obsolete itsself ;-)
Please fix this - you might want to use "< 4.4" (without a "=")

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
[package naming] Another funny example is libreoffice,
it actually collides with our shared library policy ;-)