Update to KDE 4.4

Fred A. Miller
'ALL kinds of qt and other libs. are "busted!!" NOT a good upgrade
experience.

Fred

--
Q. What's the difference between a southern zoo and a northern zoo?
A. The southern zoo has a description of the animal along with a recipe.

Re: Update to KDE 4.4

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 02/20/2010 01:07 PM, Fred A. Miller pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> 'ALL kinds of qt and other libs. are "busted!!" NOT a good upgrade
> experience.
>
> Fred

And one that very few probably experience. Too bad you were one of them.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: Update to KDE 4.4

C-29
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:07, Fred A. Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 'ALL kinds of qt and other libs. are "busted!!" NOT a good upgrade
> experience.

What did you do to upgrade?  I've upgraded several KDE 4.3.1 installs
to 4.4 and had no issues... I did make a point though of removing all
prior KDE configs which forces KDE back to the "factory" default
settings.... but no busted qt or libs that I've noticed.

C.

Re: Update to KDE 4.4

Fred A. Miller
On 02/20/2010 01:27 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> On 02/20/2010 01:07 PM, Fred A. Miller pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>
>> 'ALL kinds of qt and other libs. are "busted!!" NOT a good upgrade
>> experience.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> And one that very few probably experience. Too bad you were one of them.

Yes.....true, but better me than one of my clients! ;)

I managed to get most of it "fixed" by completing the upgrade, and of
course I no longer could get KDE to come up. I rebooted using init 3 ran
zypper dup and it did grab the files that Yast refused to
install.....the error, by the way, indicated that the files were
incomplete from being uploaded to the server. I find that amusing, since
there's NO EXCUSE for Yast having that problem when zypper found them to
be just fine. Oh yes...Nepomuk barfed badly. There's some neat changes
in 4.4 and some new widgets. :)

Fred

--
Q. What's the difference between a southern zoo and a northern zoo?
A. The southern zoo has a description of the animal along with a recipe.

Re: Update to KDE 4.4

Fred A. Miller
On 02/20/2010 01:27 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> On 02/20/2010 01:07 PM, Fred A. Miller pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>
>> 'ALL kinds of qt and other libs. are "busted!!" NOT a good upgrade
>> experience.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> And one that very few probably experience. Too bad you were one of them.

As a followup, Ken....here's what I get at konsole trying to get Nepomuk
up and running.

Thanks,

Fred

fm@Linux-lt:~> su
Password:
Linux-lt:/home/fm # qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver
org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Linux-lt:/home/fm # rm -r .kde/share/apps/nepomuk
rm: cannot remove `.kde/share/apps/nepomuk': No such file or directory
Linux-lt:/home/fm # nepomukserver
NepomukServer(5209): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session
server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection
was broken."

NepomukServer(5208): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

On 02/20/2010 02:53 PM, Graham Anderson wrote:

> On Saturday 20 February 2010 20:18:58 Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> I rebooted using init 3 ran
>> zypper dup and it did grab the files that Yast refused to
>> install.....the error, by the way, indicated that the files were
>> incomplete from being uploaded to the server. I find that amusing, since
>> there's NO EXCUSE for Yast having that problem when zypper found them to
>> be just fine. Oh yes...Nepomuk barfed badly.
>>
> Well, frustrating as this is, 4.4 is in a Factory repo so you don't get any
> guarantee of repo stability. In fact just on Friday evening some changes in
> the build service triggered a rebuild of 65k or so packages. It's likey new
> package versions got published in the middle of your update, again a hazard of
> installing from a Factory repo.

Very possible, and YES, I'm well aware of the problems Factory can give
at times. ;)
> I don't think it's fair to expect YAST to be fault tolerant on unstable and
> often broken/incomplete/changing development repos. I actually think you were
> just unlucky and picked the worst possible time to upgrade to 4.4 from that
> repo. I have run regular updates to my 4.4 desktop since RC1 and not
> experienced in incomplete set of packages but I'll be honest with you; I *do*
> tend to look at the build service monitor for the KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop
> repo and wait until it's finished building for 11.2 before I run my updates.

'Probably should have checked it. I tend to use Factory ONLY to get a
new release,
then switch when stable repros. are available....for clients, this is
mandatory. :)
> The nepomuk barf was probably due to the change in backend storage format,
> there's a tool to convert this but again, it's Factory so I have no clue if
> any packagers would spend much time on it. Since i view Nepomuk with the same
> suspicion as I view Beagle I have not used it much so had no qualms about
> nuking the db before I updated.

Agreed......think I'll "kill it."
> Any further problems with 4.4 or is everything OK now?

No.....I manually fixed everything.

Fred