Update Portal:Installation

Guo Yunhe
I have a few edit suggestions:

1. Give the link to download Tumbleweed

2. Add new section "Prepare installation media", including burn DVD and
USB stick

3. Change "Live CD installation instructions" to "Try with Live CD".
Live CD isn't a good way to install system and all Live CD articles are
too old (11.4).

4. Remove "Create a live USB drive" section. There is no much difference
of images when creating USB installation media. This part should have
been introduced in "Prepare installation media" section. Giving too much
options may confuse beginners.

Any opinions?

--
Guo Yunhe

Re: Update Portal:Installation

PatrickD Garvey
On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Guo Yunhe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a few edit suggestions:
>
> 1. Give the link to download Tumbleweed
>
> 2. Add new section "Prepare installation media", including burn DVD and USB
> stick
>
> 3. Change "Live CD installation instructions" to "Try with Live CD". Live CD
> isn't a good way to install system and all Live CD articles are too old
> (11.4).
>
> 4. Remove "Create a live USB drive" section. There is no much difference of
> images when creating USB installation media. This part should have been
> introduced in "Prepare installation media" section. Giving too much options
> may confuse beginners.

Another question:
When should a new user of openSUSE use
https://en.openSUSE.org/Portal:Installation
and when should they use
https://doc.openSUSE.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/index.html
?

--
PatrickD

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Guo Yunhe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have a few edit suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Give the link to download Tumbleweed
> >
> > 2. Add new section "Prepare installation media", including burn DVD and USB
> > stick
> >
> > 3. Change "Live CD installation instructions" to "Try with Live CD". Live CD
> > isn't a good way to install system and all Live CD articles are too old
> > (11.4).
> >
> > 4. Remove "Create a live USB drive" section. There is no much difference of
> > images when creating USB installation media. This part should have been
> > introduced in "Prepare installation media" section. Giving too much options
> > may confuse beginners.
> >

> Another question:
> When should a new user of openSUSE use
> https://en.openSUSE.org/Portal:Installation
> and when should they use
> https://doc.openSUSE.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/index.html
> ?
Both should be available and up to date!
Installation instructions and Co. in the wiki should give the user a good overview about all important things for the installation.
The documentation is for a deeper insight into openSUSE.
The Installation Portal is on my "hot" To Do List for Updates in the English wiki.

Sarah

Re: Update Portal:Installation