Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
All,

  I updated to firefoxe 52.5esr from 49.5esr. One thing that is just totally
repugnant is the file->open dialog. It is per-se unusable.

  How do I get the file->open dialog from 49.5 back? -- or at least get this
damn thing to sort the folders first like every other sane file->open dialog
does. I have folders with 20 or so directories and 1400+ files in them and
trying to navigate where you have to scroll through 1200 files just to get to
the 'tst' directory is unacceptable.

  Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
icons missing?

  Help....

(screenshot of the dialog I see at, http://paste.opensuse.org/5398449)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

sources_tmp_dir.png (149K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
On 06/14/2017 08:21 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> All,
<snip>
> (screenshot of the dialog I see at, http://paste.opensuse.org/5398449)
>

crap, sorry for the attachment, I went to paste.opensuse.org and put it there,
but forgot to delete it from the message.

(go easy on the flames, early Alzheimer's must be kicking in...)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Felix Miata-3
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
David C. Rankin composed on 2017-06-14 21:21 (UTC-0400):
.
>   I updated to firefoxe 52.5esr from 49.5esr. One thing that is just totally
> repugnant is the file->open dialog. It is per-se unusable.
.
>   How do I get the file->open dialog from 49.5 back? -- or at least get this
> damn thing to sort the folders first like every other sane file->open dialog
> does. I have folders with 20 or so directories and 1400+ files in them and
> trying to navigate where you have to scroll through 1200 files just to get to
> the 'tst' directory is unacceptable.

>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
> icons missing?
.
>   Help....
.
> (screenshot of the dialog I see at, http://paste.opensuse.org/5398449)
.
I think I know why, but not if there is anything you can do about it. Check
about:buildconfig. If you don't see cairo-gtk2 or if you do see the string gtk3,
that's almost certainly the why for the change. Check in about:config if
ui. allow_platform_file_picker
is set and what to. http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries might be
obsolete.
--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
On 06/14/2017 08:48 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

> David C. Rankin composed on 2017-06-14 21:21 (UTC-0400):
> .
>>   I updated to firefoxe 52.5esr from 49.5esr. One thing that is just totally
>> repugnant is the file->open dialog. It is per-se unusable.
> .
>>   How do I get the file->open dialog from 49.5 back? -- or at least get this
>> damn thing to sort the folders first like every other sane file->open dialog
>> does. I have folders with 20 or so directories and 1400+ files in them and
>> trying to navigate where you have to scroll through 1200 files just to get to
>> the 'tst' directory is unacceptable.
>
>>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
>> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
>> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
>> icons missing?
> .
>>   Help....
> .
>> (screenshot of the dialog I see at, http://paste.opensuse.org/5398449)
> .
> I think I know why, but not if there is anything you can do about it. Check
> about:buildconfig. If you don't see cairo-gtk2 or if you do see the string gtk3,
> that's almost certainly the why for the change. Check in about:config if
> ui. allow_platform_file_picker
> is set and what to. http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries might be
> obsolete.
>

What are the mozilla folks thinking?

MOZ_AUTOMATION=1 --enable-update-channel=esr
PKG_CONFIG=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/gtk3/usr/local/bin/pkg-config
MOZ_PGO=1
CC=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/gcc/bin/gcc
CXX=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/gcc/bin/g++
--enable-rust
RUSTC=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/rustc/bin/rustc
CARGO=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/cargo/bin/cargo
--enable-js-shell --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3
--with-mozilla-api-keyfile=/builds/mozilla-desktop-geoloc-api.key
--with-google-api-keyfile=/builds/gapi.data MAKE=/usr/bin/gmake
--enable-crashreporter --enable-elf-hack --enable-official-branding
--enable-release --enable-stdcxx-compat --enable-verify-mar

There is nothing but the 1/2 baked gtk3 toolkit crud included. I don't care
what version it is, I just want usable dialogs. It is incredibly frustrating
to have to mouse down 50 times just to get the next directory you need to
navigate to, to then scroll down another 30 screens to get to the next.

I sure hope there is a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini setting that will fix
this, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

I wonder if buildservice could compile a version witih gtk+2 dialogs enabled.
This is KDE-4.04 bad... (and that was really, really bad...)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Felix Miata-3
David C. Rankin composed on 2017-06-14 20:57 (UTC-0500):
.
> What are the mozilla folks thinking?
.
IMO, 'make FF indistinuishable from Chrome or Edge', void of any more user
choices than it can get away with not having, and 'follow the money'.
.

> MOZ_AUTOMATION=1 --enable-update-channel=esr
> PKG_CONFIG=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/gtk3/usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> MOZ_PGO=1
> CC=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/gcc/bin/gcc
> CXX=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/gcc/bin/g++
> --enable-rust
> RUSTC=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/rustc/bin/rustc
> CARGO=/builds/slave/m-esr52-l64-000000000000000000/build/src/cargo/bin/cargo
> --enable-js-shell --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3
> --with-mozilla-api-keyfile=/builds/mozilla-desktop-geoloc-api.key
> --with-google-api-keyfile=/builds/gapi.data MAKE=/usr/bin/gmake
> --enable-crashreporter --enable-elf-hack --enable-official-branding
> --enable-release --enable-stdcxx-compat --enable-verify-mar
.
That's Mozilla.org's 52.2 build, right?
.
> There is nothing but the 1/2 baked gtk3 toolkit crud included. I don't care
> what version it is, I just want usable dialogs. It is incredibly frustrating
> to have to mouse down 50 times just to get the next directory you need to
> navigate to, to then scroll down another 30 screens to get to the next.
.
> I sure hope there is a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini setting that will fix
> this, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
.
> I wonder if buildservice could compile a version witih gtk+2 dialogs enabled.
> This is KDE-4.04 bad... (and that was really, really bad...)
.
Are you sure the BS build already available isn't using GTK2 instead?

I typically just type file:///home/login/whatever/ in the urlbar, then select
from a normal directory listing.
--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
On 06/14/2017 08:57 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>
> What are the mozilla folks thinking?

Dunno... but we will see if they can fix it. The following bug was filed if
you are interested or want to contribute to it:

Firefox 52.2esr cannot sort folders first in file->open dialog
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1373108


--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-3
On 06/14/2017 09:17 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> That's Mozilla.org's 52.2 build, right?

52.2esr

Apparently it is a known issue at mozilla. Within 10 minutes of filing my bug,
they have assigned it:

Component: Untriaged → Widget: Gtk
Product: Firefox → Core

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1373108

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Istvan Gabor-3
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 20:21:57 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

> All,
>
>   I updated to firefoxe 52.5esr from 49.5esr. One thing that is just
> totally
> repugnant is the file->open dialog. It is per-se unusable.
>
>   How do I get the file->open dialog from 49.5 back? -- or at least
> get this
> damn thing to sort the folders first like every other sane file->open
> dialog
> does. I have folders with 20 or so directories and 1400+ files in
> them and
> trying to navigate where you have to scroll through 1200 files just
> to get to
> the 'tst' directory is unacceptable.
>
>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed
> with files
> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are
> many of the
> icons missing?
>
>   Help....
>
> (screenshot of the dialog I see at,
> http://paste.opensuse.org/5398449)
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

I use palemoon and mostly I am quite satisfied with it.
Occasionally I use seamonkey (recent version) and I still
have firefox 24esr. For saving web pages I use opera 12,
it can save html file with images and web archive too.
Vivaldi is not bad but still misses puld-down bookarks
and it has not separate navigation menu bar.

Istvan



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Charles Philip Chan-2
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
"David C. Rankin" <[hidden email]> writes:

>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
> icons missing?

IIRC, it came from a change of GTK version. Open "dconf-editor" and go
to:

        GTK-> "Settings"-> "File Chooser"

and change "sort-directories-first" to "true".

Charles

--
"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"
(By Patrick Volkerding)

signature.asc (199 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
On 06/15/2017 07:47 AM, Charles Philip Chan wrote:

> "David C. Rankin" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
>> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
>> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
>> icons missing?
>
> IIRC, it came from a change of GTK version. Open "dconf-editor" and go
> to:
>
>         GTK-> "Settings"-> "File Chooser"
>
> and change "sort-directories-first" to "true".
>
> Charles
>
Thanks Charles, but currently:

$ dconf-editor
bash: dconf-editor: command not found

I'll see if I can find it and try your suggestion, but I should not have to
load any additional packages just to have FF provide a working file->open dialog.

Why they can't just leave gtk+2 enabled is ridiculous. This type of issue will
crop up over and over again, and apparently nobody at mozilla is testing these
things before foisting a gtk+3 only build on us. (not to mention there are
virtually zero themes available for it compared to gtk+2...) I've tried all
the themes on gnome-look and there are not really any decent dark themes (that
don't make one-line inputs 2X bigger than they should be. At least one of the
folks on the Arch list has put together a fairly good adwaita-dark. Not
perfect, but the best of the bunch so far...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.


signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* David C. Rankin <[hidden email]> [06-15-17 22:56]:

> On 06/15/2017 07:47 AM, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> > "David C. Rankin" <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> >>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
> >> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
> >> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
> >> icons missing?
> >
> > IIRC, it came from a change of GTK version. Open "dconf-editor" and go
> > to:
> >
> >         GTK-> "Settings"-> "File Chooser"
> >
> > and change "sort-directories-first" to "true".
> >
> > Charles
> >
>
> Thanks Charles, but currently:
>
> $ dconf-editor
> bash: dconf-editor: command not found
>
> I'll see if I can find it and try your suggestion, but I should not have to
> load any additional packages just to have FF provide a working file->open dialog.
>
> Why they can't just leave gtk+2 enabled is ridiculous. This type of issue will
> crop up over and over again, and apparently nobody at mozilla is testing these
> things before foisting a gtk+3 only build on us. (not to mention there are
> virtually zero themes available for it compared to gtk+2...) I've tried all
> the themes on gnome-look and there are not really any decent dark themes (that
> don't make one-line inputs 2X bigger than they should be. At least one of the
> folks on the Arch list has put together a fairly good adwaita-dark. Not
> perfect, but the best of the bunch so far...

zypper -v in dconf-editor

now, that was not so hard. and one liner w/o any rants :)



--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Charles Philip Chan-2
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
"David C. Rankin" <[hidden email]> writes:

> $ dconf-editor
> bash: dconf-editor: command not found

You need to install the package "dconf-editor".

> Why they can't just leave gtk+2 enabled is ridiculous. This type of
> issue will crop up over and over again, and apparently nobody at
> mozilla is testing these things before foisting a gtk+3 only build on
> us.

What is more ridiculous is the default sort order in GTK3.

> (not to mention there are virtually zero themes available for it
> compared to gtk+2...) I've tried all the themes on gnome-look and
> there are not really any decent dark themes (that don't make one-line
> inputs 2X bigger than they should be. At least one of the folks on the
> Arch list has put together a fairly good adwaita-dark. Not perfect,
> but the best of the bunch so far...

I personally like Adapta[1] and Numix. Adapta has a really nice dark
theme. I also set QT5 to use gtk2 theme via qt5ct and set KDE to use
gtk2 theme.

Charles


Footnotes:
[1] http://lmelinux.net/2016/03/31/adapta-another-beautiful-gtk-theme/

--
"sic transit discus mundi"
(From the System Administrator's Guide, by Lars Wirzenius)

signature.asc (199 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by Patrick Shanahan-2
On 06/15/2017 10:13 PM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> zypper -v in dconf-editor
>
> now, that was not so hard. and one liner w/o any rants :)

$ zi dconf-editor

... it was bloody horrible :)

even with dconf-editor, it does not respect the 'location-mode' ->
'filename-entry' setting. Every time I attempt to open a file, it switched the
setting in dconf back to 'path-bar'.

The rant point being, now to use FF, you can't just install FF, you have to
install FF + dconf-editor just to get directories sorted first in the
file-open dialog. With Gtk+2, I had complete control over the file-open dialog
with ~/.config/gtk+2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini. A simple text file was all that was
needed.

And, ... the gtk+2 filechooser just looks better:

http://paste.opensuse.org/6544896



--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Yamaban
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 04:55, David C. Rankin wrote:

> On 06/15/2017 07:47 AM, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
>> "David C. Rankin" writes:
>>
>>>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
>>> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with files
>>> in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are many of the
>>> icons missing?
>>
>> IIRC, it came from a change of GTK version. Open "dconf-editor" and go
>> to:
>>
>>         GTK-> "Settings"-> "File Chooser"
>>
>> and change "sort-directories-first" to "true".
>>
>> Charles
>>
>
> Thanks Charles, but currently:
>
> $ dconf-editor
> bash: dconf-editor: command not found

[snip]

"man 1 dconf" mentions alternatives, e.g. "gsettings" from the glib2-tools
package does the same from the command line.

[code]
$ gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sort-directories-first true
[/code]

  - Yamaban.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Patrick Shanahan-2
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
* David C. Rankin <[hidden email]> [06-16-17 00:38]:

> On 06/15/2017 10:13 PM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > zypper -v in dconf-editor
> >
> > now, that was not so hard. and one liner w/o any rants :)
>
> $ zi dconf-editor
>
> ... it was bloody horrible :)
>
> even with dconf-editor, it does not respect the 'location-mode' ->
> 'filename-entry' setting.  Every time I attempt to open a file, it
> switched the setting in dconf back to 'path-bar'.
>
> The rant point being, now to use FF, you can't just install FF, you have
> to install FF + dconf-editor just to get directories sorted first in the
> file-open dialog.  With Gtk+2, I had complete control over the file-open
> dialog with ~/.config/gtk+2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini.  A simple text file
> was all that was needed.

No, the *point* is there is no need for nor does it accomplish anything
except make the *ranter* appear childish, unappreciative, and
disrespectful of those donating their time to provide you with *free*
software which you do not have to use.  if you prefer it to work or
proceed in a different direction, donate *your* time to make it happen.
then we can read twenty words about your difficulties and propose
solutions rather than two hundred that just piss people off and perhaps
negatively affect the efforts of those trying to help.

hope your day gets better.
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Rodney Baker-2
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
On Thursday, 15 June 2017 10:51:57 ACST David C. Rankin wrote:

> All,
>
>   I updated to firefoxe 52.5esr from 49.5esr. One thing that is just totally
> repugnant is the file->open dialog. It is per-se unusable.
>
>   How do I get the file->open dialog from 49.5 back? -- or at least get this
> damn thing to sort the folders first like every other sane file->open
> dialog does. I have folders with 20 or so directories and 1400+ files in
> them and trying to navigate where you have to scroll through 1200 files
> just to get to the 'tst' directory is unacceptable.
>
>   Is there some setting that controls this? Right now this thing is
> unnavigable with scores of .zip files mixed with directories mixed with
> files in an unholy mess. Why when I first scroll down with the mouse are
> many of the icons missing?
>
>   Help....
>
> (screenshot of the dialog I see at, http://paste.opensuse.org/5398449)

Hmmm...running 52.1 ESR here on KDE/Plasma 5 and I get the standard Plasma5/
KDE file dialog.

--
==============================================================
Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
[hidden email]
==============================================================

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 17.06.2017 um 07:17 schrieb Rodney Baker:
>
> Hmmm...running 52.1 ESR here on KDE/Plasma 5 and I get the standard Plasma5/
> KDE file dialog.

That is because you are using the openSUSE version of Firefox.

The above report is from someone who either runs upstream Firefox or
openSUSE w/o KDE on Tumbleweed, because that is the only version where
Gtk3 is currently being used.

The $SUBJECT is pretty much misleading because the original author
basically complains about plain Gtk3 filechooser so it should be
addressed to the Gnome people.


Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by Patrick Shanahan-2
On 06/16/2017 06:25 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> hope your day gets better.

It will once we get the children out the the UI design business.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

David C. Rankin
On 06/18/2017 01:38 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 06/16/2017 06:25 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> hope your day gets better.
>
> It will once we get the children out the the UI design business.
>

And I apologize, I don't mean to give a flippant response, but the *point is*
I use Linux personally and for my office. It's bad enough when something for
me personally changes and doesn't work like it used to and I have to jack with
figuring out why, but it is another thing altogether to have to spend the time
to either retrain, fix or provide work-arounds for all those using the
application who are not tech-savy.

Yes, this should be addressed to the gnome list, and it appears I'm not alone
in the complaints about the gtk+ engine change and unexplained failure to
provide a backwards compatibility, kde was hard hit as well with all the work
on the Oxygen theme essentially becoming worthless:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340288#c1
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735211#c8
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356845

An auto-update should never break backwards compatibility.

We are smart enough in 2017 to provide clean backwards compatibility,
especially when there is no legitimate technical reason not to. In the days of
8M drives, there was an argument to be made. In the days of Terabyte storage,
it rings hollow.

I often wonder, with as capable as the Linux desktop is today, why it doesn't
garner more of the market share. This is one of the main arguments you hear
against the adoption by business. As a community, we do very little to prove
that argument wrong. Gnome2/3, KDE3/4/FW5, etc., etc..

Yes innovation is good and yes change will happen, but it can be done so that
what worked yesterday, continues to work today as well.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update FireFox 49.5 -> 52.2, file dialogs are horrible, how to get FF49 dialogs back?

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 18.06.2017 um 09:16 schrieb David C. Rankin:
> An auto-update should never break backwards compatibility.

Are you still talking about Firefox?
In case you do I need to emphasize again that Firefox updates built from
and for openSUSE still use Gtk2 (unless it's TW).
One reason is exactly the one you complain about. So to be constructive
only reports to Gtk3 and Mozilla people would make sense at all. It's
not required to keep discussing this in the general opensuse@ list as
the point you bring up was already taken care of in the community as
much as it was possible.


Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

12