Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Freek de Kruijf
L.S.

When translating using Weblate of zypper/master for Dutch I can only make
suggestions, but I can not approve translations like for all the other modules
on the page for Weblate Dutch translations.

Please authorize me to approve these translations as well.

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf

Re: Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi,

zypper is locked at the moment. SUSE is working on it.
That was announced with this mail: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2017-03/msg00009.html

Best regards,
Sarah

> Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Mai 2017 um 14:49 Uhr
> Von: "Freek de Kruijf" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [opensuse-translation] Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch
>
> L.S.
>
> When translating using Weblate of zypper/master for Dutch I can only make
> suggestions, but I can not approve translations like for all the other modules
> on the page for Weblate Dutch translations.
>
> Please authorize me to approve these translations as well.
>
> --
> fr.gr.
>
> member openSUSE
> Freek de Kruijf

Re: Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Dear Stanislav,

When do you unlock zypper again?
I would prefer unlocked files for our translators and that we can work with SUSE together.
The reason is that Leap 42.3 is coming.

Best regards,
Sarah

> Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Mai 2017 um 16:19 Uhr
> Von: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Freek de Kruijf" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch
>
> Hi,
>
> zypper is locked at the moment. SUSE is working on it.
> That was announced with this mail: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2017-03/msg00009.html
>
> Best regards,
> Sarah
>
> > Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Mai 2017 um 14:49 Uhr
> > Von: "Freek de Kruijf" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: [opensuse-translation] Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch
> >
> > L.S.
> >
> > When translating using Weblate of zypper/master for Dutch I can only make
> > suggestions, but I can not approve translations like for all the other modules
> > on the page for Weblate Dutch translations.
> >
> > Please authorize me to approve these translations as well.
> >
> > --
> > fr.gr.
> >
> > member openSUSE
> > Freek de Kruijf

Re: Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Stanislav Brabec
Microfocus translation team asked us for locking of zypper and libzypp
for the period of translation of SLE12 SP3.

As there is a single code base for both openSUSE (and currently for YaST
and ZYPP even for both Leap and Tumbleweed) and SUSE Linux Enterprise
Service Pack 3 (SLE12 SP3), and managers requested full control of
strings in supported languages of enterprise products (to prevent
inferior or even offensive translations), I found no better style of
work than assigning contracted translators as temporary mandatory
reviewers, and allow others to make suggestions.

If you see an error, please make a suggestion (there is even possible to
upload the whole fixed po file as a set of suggestions).

Ideally, both Leap 42.3 and SLE12 SP3 should have the same code and the
same strings.

If these suggestions will not be processed in time, or you will not
agree with reviewers, I can forward you complaint to the Microfocus
translation coordinators.

Starting with SUSE Linux Enterprise 15, we want to unify translation of
all packages across products (i. e. enterprise products should use the
same translation as the current community one; see suggestions by "SLE
Merge Robot" in Weblate). So it is very important to tune this process
now, when we have only two locked packages.

Next version of Weblate will have a language team reviewers feature. I
can imagine that respected community members will have a permanent
commit privilege, and juniors will have commit privilege only during
development period.
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/867

I can even imagine rolling translations: Translation from any registered
member will immediately appear in Tumbleweed, but these will be marked
as "unapproved", and before release of Leap / SUSE Linux Enterprise, all
strings will have to be either approved or excluded. This feature is
currently just an idea. https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/1073

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer

Re: Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for those news!

It is a little bit strange that they need a full control. But we can start with other translations, too.

Best regards,
Sarah

Dne 29.5.2017 v 17:11 Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):
> Hi Stanislav,
>
> Thanks for those news!
>
> It is a little bit strange that they need a full control.

This is not strange. We want to deliver a well tested product with a
well tested translations.

Our testers check the most visible strings in all languages, go through
all menus etc. It generates many bug reports, most often programming
errors and bad translation reports.

Once tests are performed, we want to be sure that nothing was changed
without notifying. This is a standard freeze process in both transaltion
and programming. (Changes invalidate any tests that were done.)

Most YaST modules and ZYPP are currently not branched. The same code is
developed for SLE12 SP3 and Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed.

In case of translation, things are even more complicated. Code can be
branched, but branching of translations is not welcome. Imagine that the
same string would be translated differently in Leap and Tumbleweed, or
translators will translate in Leap, but the string will never reach
Tumbleweed. That is why branch disconnection is ever not yet implemented
in the Weblate. Common strings are automatically inherited across branches.

> But we can start with other translations, too.

With translation of other project, yes.

But we cannot start another translation of ZYPP before Leap 42.3 release.

We can unlock just after SLE12 SP3 release, but I am not sure whether it
will help in any way. (ZYPP will probably be the same for both SLE12 SP3
and 42.3.)

For 42.3, let's live with the lock and suggestions for zypp and libzypp.
It is not a big deal, and contracted translators should be able to
process ~20 strings in total, and I can act as a proxy in case of problems.

Weblate 2.6 does not offer a better solution.

But for the next releases, we need to invent something better. YaST is a
much bigger project.

I hope that we will be able to upgrade Weblate soon. New version comes
with advanced permissions. We can establish language teams. Only
respected community translators and contracted translators would be able
to push translations directly. Others should use suggestions or (if it
will be implemented) continuous review.

So there will be no more risks that somebody will submit inferior
translation as it could be done now. (Everybody with a Bugzilla account
can edit any string in any language.)

Once Weblate will be upgraded and new development cycle started, I'll
send a mail and start a discussion.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer

Dne 29.5.2017 v 21:14 Stanislav Brabec napsal(a):
> For 42.3, let's live with the lock and suggestions for zypp and libzypp.
> It is not a big deal, and contracted translators should be able to
> process ~20 strings in total, and I can act as a proxy in case of problems.

I just got a reply from our translation coordinator:

"We have completed the review of the suggestions in Weblate and applied
them all except for one"

The one remaining suggestion in libzypp zh_TW is a weblate bug, not a
real translation change. I hope it will disappear in weblate-2.13.1.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer

Re: Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Thanks for all!

Best regards,
Sarah