Unable to change Grub/Console resolution

Unable to change Grub/Console resolution

Daniele
HI guys, two tw system, both with nvidia cards/drivers but on one of
them, I cannot change the grub resolution. Now is something like 600x400
or 800x600.
I tried different resolution using the yast bootloader module but nothing.

/etc/default/grub are identical on both system.

Bug ?
Hints ?

Daniele.

Re: Unable to change Grub/Console resolution

Stefan Seyfried
Am 24.12.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Daniele:
> HI guys, two tw system, both with nvidia cards/drivers but on one of
> them, I cannot change the grub resolution. Now is something like 600x400
> or 800x600.
> I tried different resolution using the yast bootloader module but nothing.
>
> /etc/default/grub are identical on both system.
>
> Bug ?
> Hints ?

one BIOS, one EFI system?
Identical (also video BIOS version) nvidia cards?
Identical BIOS vendors / versions?
--
Stefan Seyfried

Il 24/12/2017 12:00, Stefan Seyfried ha scritto:

> Am 24.12.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Daniele:
>> HI guys, two tw system, both with nvidia cards/drivers but on one of
>> them, I cannot change the grub resolution. Now is something like 600x400
>> or 800x600.
>> I tried different resolution using the yast bootloader module but nothing.
>>
>> /etc/default/grub are identical on both system.
>>
>> Bug ?
>> Hints ?
>
> one BIOS, one EFI system?
> Identical (also video BIOS version) nvidia cards?
> Identical BIOS vendors / versions?

"identical" (where possible) for settings (configurations, packages..),
not hardware.
Working system:
Asus mobo, fm2+, athlon 860k, Gtx 950, 8Gb ram ddr3

Not working.
Oem mobo, lga2011-x79 chipset, xeon e5-1620, Gtx 730, 16Gb ram ddr3 ecc

Both in bios mode.

Thanks,

Am 24.12.2017 um 12:22 schrieb Daniele:

> Il 24/12/2017 12:00, Stefan Seyfried ha scritto:
>> Am 24.12.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Daniele:
>>> HI guys, two tw system, both with nvidia cards/drivers but on one of
>>> them, I cannot change the grub resolution. Now is something like 600x400
>>> or 800x600.
>>> I tried different resolution using the yast bootloader module but
>>> nothing.
>>>
>>> /etc/default/grub are identical on both system.
>>>
>>> Bug ?
>>> Hints ?
>>
>> one BIOS, one EFI system?
>> Identical (also video BIOS version) nvidia cards?
>> Identical BIOS vendors / versions?
>>
> "identical" (where possible) for settings (configurations, packages..),
> not hardware.

So that's probably the reason. Grub can at this stage probably only work
with what it gets from the Video BIOS. Different Hardware, different
BIOS versions / implementations, different appearance.
--
Stefan Seyfried

Il 24/12/2017 16:15, Stefan Seyfried ha scritto:

>> "identical" (where possible) for settings (configurations, packages..),
>> not hardware.
>
> So that's probably the reason. Grub can at this stage probably only work
> with what it gets from the Video BIOS. Different Hardware, different
> BIOS versions / implementations, different appearance.

Wait, I did a test. I've attachde an old hdd using an usb2sata adapter,
with os 13.2. Boot did not work too well, (no device found, dracut
shell) but resolution was right (full HD) ! Both Grub and console, so
IMHO is not an hardware/bios problem.

Daniele.