UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Roger Oberholtzer
I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
All is accessible via the web.

http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php

Unless you use Linux. Those apparently God forsaken destroyers of the
environment are not interested in this. We will all be traveling there.
Unlike our eco-friendly Windows/Mac brethren.

Silliness aside, I seem to recall in a recent openSUSE news letter
something about Linux support for Silverlight in Mono. If this is the
case, could it be that this might work with Linux? If one knew what to
do?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Basil Chupin-2
On 11/12/09 22:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>

> Unless you use Linux.

It is getting just a bit more than annoying, isn't it?

BC

--
If you don't succeed you run the risk of failure.

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

masterpatricko
On 11/12/09 11:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>

> Unless you use Linux. Those apparently God forsaken destroyers of the
> environment are not interested in this. We will all be traveling there.
> Unlike our eco-friendly Windows/Mac brethren.
>

> Silliness aside, I seem to recall in a recent openSUSE news letter
> something about Linux support for Silverlight in Mono. If this is the
> case, could it be that this might work with Linux? If one knew what to
> do?
What you would need is the silverlight mono-equivalent called moonlight.

zypper in moonlight-plugin

YMMV though, no idea if it will work.

Regards,

Tejas

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Tony Alfrey
Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 11/12/09 22:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
>> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
>> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
>> All is accessible via the web.
>>
>> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>>

>> Unless you use Linux.
>
> It is getting just a bit more than annoying, isn't it?
>
> BC

The whole site is one giant M$ advertisement.  I can't believe that the
conference organizers, which must be largely based in the EU, would have
succumbed to Bill and friends.  Aren't there lots of schools in the EU
that use nothing *but* linux?  I sent a note of feedback re: their
website.  I'm sure they'll get back to me immediately.  I'm sure hell
will freeze tomorrow, too.

--
Tony Alfrey
[hidden email]

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 13:00 +0000, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:

> What you would need is the silverlight mono-equivalent called moonlight.
>
> zypper in moonlight-plugin
>
> YMMV though, no idea if it will work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tejas

I installed it. I in firefox about:plugins, I see:

        application/x-silverlight

listed as the mime-type this plugin handles. Then the system test tool
that they have is happy. It says the plugin exists. However, I still get
nothing. I see this is the code where the live feed should be:

<object id="wmplayer" width="384" height="216"type="application/x-ms-wmp">

Presumably moonlight is supposed to deal with this? Well, back to the
day job.

On 11/12/09 13:20, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I installed it. I in firefox about:plugins, I see:
>
> application/x-silverlight
>
> listed as the mime-type this plugin handles. Then the system test tool
> that they have is happy. It says the plugin exists. However, I still get
> nothing. I see this is the code where the live feed should be:
>
> <object id="wmplayer" width="384" height="216"type="application/x-ms-wmp">
>
> Presumably moonlight is supposed to deal with this? Well, back to the
> day job.

From what I see on the website they are trying to be very clever and
serve MacOS with a Silverlight applet and serve Windows with a WMA
stream. Aside from ignoring Linux, this is exceedingly poor web design ...

I think they are actually serving Linux with a WMA stream - the
Silverlight thing is only for MacOS. Instead of moonlight you might
actually need mplayer-plugin or similar with appropriate codecs to play
WMA files.

This paragraph on their system check really annoys me:
"Operating System
Linux
You are using an unsupported operation system. For unrestricted access
to the webcast, we recommend the use of Microsoft® Windows XP or
greater. You may be able to access the webcast anyway, though you might
encounter unexpected or unsatisfying behaviour."

This is really really disappointing, especially from an official UN
website and involving such an important event. Somebody (FSFE? EFF?)
needs to get on this and publicly shame the UNFCCC.

Regards,

Tejas

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Per Jessen-2
Tony Alfrey wrote:

> The whole site is one giant M$ advertisement.  I can't believe that
> the conference organizers, which must be largely based in the EU,
> would have succumbed to Bill and friends.  Aren't there lots of
> schools in the EU that use nothing *but* linux?

Yes there is, but Denmark is imo quite Microsoft-friendly.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

DenverD
Per Jessen wrote:

> Yes there is, but Denmark is imo quite Microsoft-friendly.

that is an understatement! closer to the truth is: Denmark is overly
MS friendly...perhaps non-MS hostile..

there are very many .dk sites which will only display/work with IE and
the MS implementation of java and/or java script..

if you go to ANY school in the country and take a course in "web
design" you *will* be taught how to design _for_ MS client software
and _on_ MS software..

course instruction includes statements like: you should check if your
site works on other browsers, but don't spend too much time since only
3% or less of users are not on IE..

dd
i had to leave Den Danske Bank because their netbanking software
worked with IE, only.

DenverD wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> Yes there is, but Denmark is imo quite Microsoft-friendly.
>
> that is an understatement! closer to the truth is: Denmark is overly
> MS friendly...perhaps non-MS hostile..

Yes, I was deliberatly trying not to overstate it - after all, the last
few months have also seen some interesting developments wrt schools and
local authorities opting for e.g. openoffice.

> there are very many .dk sites which will only display/work with IE and
> the MS implementation of java and/or java script..

Yup.

> dd
> i had to leave Den Danske Bank because their netbanking software
> worked with IE, only.

I think they did change that - I got an account for that years ago, but
authentication was so backward in comparison to what e.g. UBS does,
that I've never used it.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Markus Egg

> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php

I simply posted my anger there:
http://en.cop15.dk/blogs/view%20blog?blogid=2910

My posting sounds moderate, but ...

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 15:19 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

> I think they did change that - I got an account for that years ago, but
> authentication was so backward in comparison to what e.g. UBS does,
> that I've never used it.

The official government policy in Sweden is that all government internet
services must be OS neutral. How well that is done is unclear. But it is
official policy. And Sweden is, unfortunately, very MS friendly. But at
least the government had a bit of a clue here.

Private business, OTOH, are the same here as elsewhere. Both banks I use
support Linux. The on-line tax stuff supports Linux. But it never seems
to work as 'flawlessly' as the Windows stuff. Of course, I have a Mac,
and it gets support similar to Linux...

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 15:22 +0100, Markus Egg wrote:

> > I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> > conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> > need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> > All is accessible via the web.
> >
> > http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>
> I simply posted my anger there:
> http://en.cop15.dk/blogs/view%20blog?blogid=2910
>
> My posting sounds moderate, but ...

I wonder what all the "- Deleted due to terms of use violation" messages
said.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Markus Egg

> > I simply posted my anger there:
> > http://en.cop15.dk/blogs/view%20blog?blogid=2910
> >
> > My posting sounds moderate, but ...
>
> I wonder what all the "- Deleted due to terms of use violation" messages
> said.

I don't know about the other messages but at least
one of these messages is, because I used the "back" button
of Firefox and my message was posted again.

Silly me. :-(

So the message
" Moderator
11/12/2009 15:27- Deleted due to terms of use violation"
is quite ok because he deleted my double post...

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

James Knott
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>

> Unless you use Linux. Those apparently God forsaken destroyers of the
> environment are not interested in this. We will all be traveling there.
> Unlike our eco-friendly Windows/Mac brethren.

Well, after walking my dog this morning, I think we could do with a bit
of global warming.  ;-)

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux - veering off topic

Roger Oberholtzer
On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 11:31 -0500, James Knott wrote:

> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> > conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> > need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> > All is accessible via the web.
> >
> > http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
> >

> > Unless you use Linux. Those apparently God forsaken destroyers of the
> > environment are not interested in this. We will all be traveling there.
> > Unlike our eco-friendly Windows/Mac brethren.
> >
> Well, after walking my dog this morning, I think we could do with a bit
> of global warming.  ;-)

Saw a Swedish comic who was on a similar track: he wondered why the
Nordic countries are so much against climate change when they have the
most to gain: warmer climes and more sun. Seems they should champion
climate change.

Of course, all the travel we do to get to warm sunny places contributes
to the effect. If we play our cards right, maybe we won't have to
travel. Maybe the Nordic countries are telling us not to do these things
that result in climate change like a parent that tells a kid not to do
something: then they will be more likely to do so. Our evil plan for
more temperate Nordic weather will finally come to fruition. I could
trade in my downhill skis for water skis!

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Carl Spitzer-9
On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 15:08 +0100, DenverD wrote:
> course instruction includes statements like: you should check if your
> site works on other browsers, but don't spend too much time since only
> 3% or less of users are not on IE..

I had a web instructor like that in California he was an MS bigot.
CWSIV

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

John Andersen-2
On Friday 11 December 2009 03:51:00 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>

> Unless you use Linux.

Oh, stop!

Just go to the page, click thru the warning to the main page
and select the event you want to watch.  It works fine on my 11.2
running 4.3.4.

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Mike McMullin
On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 12:51 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>

> Unless you use Linux. Those apparently God forsaken destroyers of the
> environment are not interested in this. We will all be traveling there.
> Unlike our eco-friendly Windows/Mac brethren.
>

> Silliness aside, I seem to recall in a recent openSUSE news letter
> something about Linux support for Silverlight in Mono. If this is the
> case, could it be that this might work with Linux? If one knew what to
> do?

  IIRC Firefox will try and dl/install the Novell/Silverlight extension.
Have fun the first few times, I know I did.

On 12/12/09 13:37, John Andersen wrote:

> On Friday 11 December 2009 03:51:00 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>

>> All is accessible via the web.
>>
>> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>>

>> Unless you use Linux.
>>
> Oh, stop!
>
> Just go to the page, click thru the warning to the main page
> and select the event you want to watch.  It works fine on my 11.2
> running 4.3.4.

True - well, partly true: the picture is fine but there is no sound.

BC

--
If you don't succeed you run the risk of failure.

Re: UN Climate Change event in Copenhagen + Linux

Eberhard Roloff
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I wanted to look at some events taking place in Copenhagen at the UN
> conference on climate change. A big part of the event is that you do not
> need to destroy the universe as we know and love it by traveling there.
> All is accessible via the web.
>
> http://webcast.cop15.dk/help.php
>

> Unless you use Linux. Those apparently God forsaken destroyers of the
> environment are not interested in this. We will all be traveling there.
> Unlike our eco-friendly Windows/Mac brethren.
>

> Silliness aside, I seem to recall in a recent openSUSE news letter
> something about Linux support for Silverlight in Mono. If this is the
> case, could it be that this might work with Linux? If one knew what to
> do?

I just tried had the same problem.

So I installed mplayer and the mplayer plugin for firefox
and made sure that w32 codecs are installed. The I restarted
firefox.

And surprise: it is working, at least all the webcasts that
I tried are shown with video and sound. (Suse 11.2 / 32 bit)

So it is a great shame indeed, but it is easy to view,
nevertheless -from linux-!

So we might slow down a bit, forget about "not working on
Linux" and carefully think about how to politely remember
the authorities that there are a lot of users in this world
aside from Win and Mac, indeed.

Take care out there
Eberhard