Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

C. Brouerius van Nidek-2
The 1499 files for the update where neatly downloaded but at installing time
the system ran out of space after finishing 682 files.
Hereunder the message.
A repeat zypper dup resulted with an for me unintellegable message.
In the past I remember being able to enlarge he ext4 extensions with Partition
Magic but in this case I am working with btrfs filesystem which is not yet
recognized by the Partition Magic i have here.

I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run info
space problems.
Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40 Gib)
have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.

Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?
Thanks in advance

Constant

=============================================================
( 680/1499) Installing: wireless-
tools-30.pre9-37.8.x86_64......................................[done]
( 681/1499) Installing: thin-provisioning-
tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64...............................................[done]
( 682/1499) Installing: python3-base-3.5.1-3.6.x86_64................[done]
( 683/1499) Installing: python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64................[error]
Installation of python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package python-
base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 needs 19MB on the / filesystem                                                                

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
Warning: %posttrans scripts skipped while aborting:
    xfsprogs-4.5.0-1.5.x86_64.rpm
    thin-provisioning-tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64.rpm

Problem occured during or after installation or removal of packages:
Installation aborted by user

Please see the above error message for a hint.
 
dhcppc2:/home/constant # zypper -n -vvv dup
Verbosity: 3
Entering non-interactive mode.
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled
repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue.
See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Initializing Target
Target initialization failed:
Failed to cache rpm database (1).
History:
 - 'rpmdb2solv' '-r' '/' '-X' '-A' '-p' '/etc/products.d' '/var/cache/zypp/
solv/@System/solv' '-o' '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solvRy20bw'
repo_write failed

==-
opensuse:tumbleweed:20161013
Qt: 5.7.0
KDE Frameworks: 5.26.0
kf5-config: 1.0
KDE Plasma: 5.8.0
Kernel: 4.7.6-1-default
Linux User 183145 working on a Pentium IV .

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Constant Brouerius van Nidek <[hidden email]> [10-19-16 08:13]:

> The 1499 files for the update where neatly downloaded but at installing time
> the system ran out of space after finishing 682 files.
> Hereunder the message.
> A repeat zypper dup resulted with an for me unintellegable message.
> In the past I remember being able to enlarge he ext4 extensions with Partition
> Magic but in this case I am working with btrfs filesystem which is not yet
> recognized by the Partition Magic i have here.
>
> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run info
> space problems.
> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40 Gib)
> have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
>
> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?
> Thanks in advance

add space or remove unnecessary files/apps, hint: older log files and/or
clean tmp.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
In reply to this post by C. Brouerius van Nidek-2
Dne středa 19. října 2016 19:11:36 CEST, Constant Brouerius van Nidek
napsal(a):

> The 1499 files for the update where neatly downloaded but at installing time
> the system ran out of space after finishing 682 files.
> Hereunder the message.
> A repeat zypper dup resulted with an for me unintellegable message.
> In the past I remember being able to enlarge he ext4 extensions with
> Partition Magic but in this case I am working with btrfs filesystem which
> is not yet recognized by the Partition Magic i have here.
>
> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run info
> space problems.
> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40
> Gib) have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
>
> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Constant
>
> =============================================================
> ( 680/1499) Installing: wireless-
> tools-30.pre9-37.8.x86_64......................................[done]
> ( 681/1499) Installing: thin-provisioning-
> tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64...............................................[done]
> ( 682/1499) Installing: python3-base-3.5.1-3.6.x86_64................[done]
> ( 683/1499) Installing: python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64................[error]
> Installation of python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 failed:
> Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package python-
> base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 needs 19MB on the / filesystem
>
> Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
> Warning: %posttrans scripts skipped while aborting:
>     xfsprogs-4.5.0-1.5.x86_64.rpm
>     thin-provisioning-tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64.rpm
>
> Problem occured during or after installation or removal of packages:
> Installation aborted by user
>
> Please see the above error message for a hint.
>
> dhcppc2:/home/constant # zypper -n -vvv dup
> Verbosity: 3
> Entering non-interactive mode.
> Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled
> repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you
> continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
> Initializing Target
> Target initialization failed:
> Failed to cache rpm database (1).
> History:
>  - 'rpmdb2solv' '-r' '/' '-X' '-A' '-p' '/etc/products.d' '/var/cache/zypp/
> solv/@System/solv' '-o' '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solvRy20bw'
> repo_write failed
Hi, Id' rollback last snapshot(s) (snapper rollback ...) to get rid of semi-
downloaded packages. Then I'd check how many snapshots You have (snapper list)
and delete some old/unneeded (snapper delete X-Y) and check how many free
space do You have (btrfs filesystem show /) and may be clear /tmp, old logs,
whatever. Zypper starts with snapshot prior to downloading and ends with
another snapshot with updated system.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.opensuse.org/
https://trapa.cz/

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Anton Aylward-2
In reply to this post by C. Brouerius van Nidek-2
On 10/19/2016 08:11 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run info
> space problems.
> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40 Gib)
> have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
>
> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?

There are two ways to run 'zypper up/dup'

The first is to download *ALL* the RPMs, then step though them one by one doing
the install, the remove them, freeing up that space.

Obviously you need to have enough space not only to download all that but to
handle any growth.

As you can see from the config file, the download is into /var, which is one
reason I've suggested that this is put on a different FS from the RootFS.  I'm
really allergic to the BtrFS "One filesystem to rule them all" attitude.

The second, which you can arrange by an entry in the config file (where else?).

The config file says


## Commit download policy to use as default.
##
##  DownloadOnly,       Just download all packages to the local cache.
##                      Do not install. Implies a dry-run.
##
##  DownloadInAdvance,  First download all packages to the local cache.
##                      Then start to install.
##
##  DownloadInHeaps,    Similar to DownloadInAdvance, but try to split
##                      the transaction into heaps, where at the end of
##                      each heap a consistent system state is reached.
##
##  DownloadAsNeeded    Alternating download and install. Packages are
##                      cached just to avid CD/DVD hopping. This is the
##                      traditional behaviour.
##
##  <UNSET>             If a value is not set, empty or unknown, we pick
##                      some sane default.

Now you'll probably notice that the install/default is to have it unset and
you'll says that because of what you encountered its "not sane".  I agree.

The real default seems to be "DownloadInAdvance".  Hence your Big OUCH.

Traditional or not, you need to explicitly set

   commit.downloadMode = DownloadAsNeeded

There's probably some way to do that on the command line if you want to pour
over the man page in detail.

HTH.


--
     /"\
     \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
      X  Against HTML Mail
     / \
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On 10/19/2016 08:11 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
>> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run info
>> space problems.
>> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40 Gib)
>> have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
>>
>> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?

When this has happened to me, I cleared the download cache (zypper
cc). This should remove all the downloaded updates that are taking
disk space.

Then run your zypper update again. The packages that are already
updated will not be downloaded again. But it will download the needed
ones again. This should take less space.

Rinse and repeat. Of get more free disk space.

I don't know of a better way that does not involve downloading the
not-yet-updated packages. A variation on zypper cc that only clears
installed packages from the cache. But I don't know what that is. So I
do the brute force approach.



--
Roger Oberholtzer
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Andrei Borzenkov
In reply to this post by C. Brouerius van Nidek-2
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek
<[hidden email]> wrote:
...

> =============================================================
> ( 680/1499) Installing: wireless-
> tools-30.pre9-37.8.x86_64......................................[done]
> ( 681/1499) Installing: thin-provisioning-
> tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64...............................................[done]
> ( 682/1499) Installing: python3-base-3.5.1-3.6.x86_64................[done]
> ( 683/1499) Installing: python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64................[error]
> Installation of python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 failed:
> Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package python-
> base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 needs 19MB on the / filesystem
>
> Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
> Warning: %posttrans scripts skipped while aborting:
>     xfsprogs-4.5.0-1.5.x86_64.rpm
>     thin-provisioning-tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64.rpm
>
> Problem occured during or after installation or removal of packages:
> Installation aborted by user
>
> Please see the above error message for a hint.
>
> dhcppc2:/home/constant # zypper -n -vvv dup
> Verbosity: 3
> Entering non-interactive mode.
> Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled
> repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue.
> See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
> Initializing Target
> Target initialization failed:
> Failed to cache rpm database (1).
> History:
>  - 'rpmdb2solv' '-r' '/' '-X' '-A' '-p' '/etc/products.d' '/var/cache/zypp/
> solv/@System/solv' '-o' '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solvRy20bw'
> repo_write failed
>

Try to delete old snapshots (snapper list, snapper delete). Wait for
some time to allow for space reclamation (it is not instant). You may
want to run btrfs balance thereafter, it may recover even more space.

If unsure, post "snapper list" and "btrfs sub get-default /" output.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Andrei Borzenkov
In reply to this post by Vojtěch Zeisek-2
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Vojtěch Zeisek
<[hidden email]> wrote:
...
>> ( 683/1499) Installing: python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64................[error]
>> Installation of python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 failed:
>> Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package python-
>> base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 needs 19MB on the / filesystem
>>
>> Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
...
>
> Hi, Id' rollback last snapshot(s) (snapper rollback ...)

snapper rollback works by creating *more* snapshots, thus freezing
current "out of space" condition ...
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Knurpht-openSUSE
In reply to this post by C. Brouerius van Nidek-2
Op woensdag 19 oktober 2016 19:11:36 CEST schreef Constant Brouerius van
Nidek:

> The 1499 files for the update where neatly downloaded but at installing time
> the system ran out of space after finishing 682 files.
> Hereunder the message.
> A repeat zypper dup resulted with an for me unintellegable message.
> In the past I remember being able to enlarge he ext4 extensions with
> Partition Magic but in this case I am working with btrfs filesystem which
> is not yet recognized by the Partition Magic i have here.
>
> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run info
> space problems.
> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40
> Gib) have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
>
> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Constant
>
> =============================================================
> ( 680/1499) Installing: wireless-
> tools-30.pre9-37.8.x86_64......................................[done]
> ( 681/1499) Installing: thin-provisioning-
> tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64...............................................[done]
> ( 682/1499) Installing: python3-base-3.5.1-3.6.x86_64................[done]
> ( 683/1499) Installing: python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64................[error]
> Installation of python-base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 failed:
> Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package python-
> base-2.7.12-1.3.x86_64 needs 19MB on the / filesystem
>
> Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
> Warning: %posttrans scripts skipped while aborting:
>     xfsprogs-4.5.0-1.5.x86_64.rpm
>     thin-provisioning-tools-0.6.3-1.3.x86_64.rpm
>
> Problem occured during or after installation or removal of packages:
> Installation aborted by user
>
> Please see the above error message for a hint.
>
> dhcppc2:/home/constant # zypper -n -vvv dup
> Verbosity: 3
> Entering non-interactive mode.
> Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled
> repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you
> continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
> Initializing Target
> Target initialization failed:
> Failed to cache rpm database (1).
> History:
>  - 'rpmdb2solv' '-r' '/' '-X' '-A' '-p' '/etc/products.d' '/var/cache/zypp/
> solv/@System/solv' '-o' '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solvRy20bw'
> repo_write failed
>
> ==-
> opensuse:tumbleweed:20161013
> Qt: 5.7.0
> KDE Frameworks: 5.26.0
> kf5-config: 1.0
> KDE Plasma: 5.8.0
> Kernel: 4.7.6-1-default
> Linux User 183145 working on a Pentium IV .

Remove some of the btrfs snapshots. Using 'zypper clean' would mean having to
download all the packages again, probably ending up with the same error.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Brüns, Stefan
In reply to this post by Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 14:53:29 CEST Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On 10/19/2016 08:11 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> >> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run
> >> info
> >> space problems.
> >> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40
> >> Gib) have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
> >>
> >> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?
>
> When this has happened to me, I cleared the download cache (zypper
> cc). This should remove all the downloaded updates that are taking
> disk space.

Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling distro)
missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a seperate
subvolume. Any downloaded packages ended up in the snapshot.

A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be affected.
You can check this yourself:

$> mount | grep /var/cache

If this yields a subvolume, you are fine, otherwise see
https://features.opensuse.org/320834

Kind regards,

Stefan



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

nicholas cunliffe
it does not seem to have been mentioned,
but after removing files and snapper images i believe you would need
to re-balance. i.e.
sudo btrfs balance start -dusage=30 /

On 19 October 2016 at 17:06, Brüns, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 14:53:29 CEST Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> On 10/19/2016 08:11 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
>> >> I regret that zypper is not able to recognize when an update will run
>> >> info
>> >> space problems.
>> >> Tumbleweed is installed on my sdc3 on a 35 Gib partition. sdc 1and 2 (40
>> >> Gib) have been cleaned and could be used by Tumbleweed.
>> >>
>> >> Somebody an idea how to solve my actual problem?
>>
>> When this has happened to me, I cleared the download cache (zypper
>> cc). This should remove all the downloaded updates that are taking
>> disk space.
>
> Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling distro)
> missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a seperate
> subvolume. Any downloaded packages ended up in the snapshot.
>
> A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be affected.
> You can check this yourself:
>
> $> mount | grep /var/cache
>
> If this yields a subvolume, you are fine, otherwise see
> https://features.opensuse.org/320834
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stefan
>
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

C. R. Oldham
In reply to this post by Brüns, Stefan
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Brüns, Stefan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling distro)
> missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a seperate
> subvolume.

[...]

> A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be affected.

Is there an easy way to fix this if one has been using Tumbleweed for
a long time?

--cro
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Brüns, Stefan
On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 09:41:09 CEST C. R. Oldham wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Brüns, Stefan
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling
> > distro)
> > missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a
> > seperate subvolume.
>
> [...]
>
> > A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be
> > affected.
>
> Is there an easy way to fix this if one has been using Tumbleweed for
> a long time?

You could have followed the link I provided and you removed from the quotes
...

It states the same as what can be found in the SLES 12 SP2 release notes:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-320834

Kind regards,

Stefan
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Andrei Borzenkov
19.10.2016 19:21, Brüns, Stefan пишет:

> On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 09:41:09 CEST C. R. Oldham wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Brüns, Stefan
>>
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling
>>> distro)
>>> missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a
>>> seperate subvolume.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be
>>> affected.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to fix this if one has been using Tumbleweed for
>> a long time?
>
> You could have followed the link I provided and you removed from the quotes
> ...
>

... which says "There must be some steps wrongly documented or omitted." :p

> It states the same as what can be found in the SLES 12 SP2 release notes:
> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-320834
>

I do not have @ subvolume. OK, I do know how to do it without this link
anyway, but still this link won't help those users who happened to
install TW when @ was not created and who are not deep in btrfs.

And BTW I just was about to do "mv /var/cache/* /mnt/var/cache" when I
looked ad pkmon output ... it should better suggest doing it in single
user to be sure /var/cache is not being updated.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Brüns, Stefan
On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 19:47:05 CEST Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> 19.10.2016 19:21, Brüns, Stefan пишет:
> > On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 09:41:09 CEST C. R. Oldham wrote:
> >> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Brüns, Stefan
> >>
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>> Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling
> >>> distro)
> >>> missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a
> >>> seperate subvolume.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >>> A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be
> >>> affected.
> >>
> >> Is there an easy way to fix this if one has been using Tumbleweed for
> >> a long time?
> >
> > You could have followed the link I provided and you removed from the
> > quotes
> > ...
>
> ... which says "There must be some steps wrongly documented or omitted." :p
>
> > It states the same as what can be found in the SLES 12 SP2 release notes:
> > https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-320834
>
> I do not have @ subvolume. OK, I do know how to do it without this link
> anyway, but still this link won't help those users who happened to
> install TW when @ was not created and who are not deep in btrfs.

Did you really read the text?

The text *clearly* states what to do, for both cases (@ subvolume available or
not). It is a step by step guide, read it, follow it, done.

Kind regards,

Stefan

N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
In reply to this post by Brüns, Stefan
On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 16:21 +0000, Brüns, Stefan wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 09:41:09 CEST C. R. Oldham wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Brüns, Stefan
> >
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a
> > > rolling
> > > distro)
> > > missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages)
> > > as a
> > > seperate subvolume.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be
> > > affected.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to fix this if one has been using Tumbleweed
> > for
> > a long time?
>
> You could have followed the link I provided and you removed from the
> quotes 
> ...
>
> It states the same as what can be found in the SLES 12 SP2 release
> notes:
> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-32083
> 4
\

Or, as we care for openSUSE and not SLE, the Leap 42.2 release notes
contain the instructions too:

https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/Leap/42.2/

Even with the distinction if you have a "@" subvolume or not...

Cheers,
Dominiqe

signature.asc (169 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Andrei Borzenkov
In reply to this post by Brüns, Stefan
19.10.2016 19:59, Brüns, Stefan пишет:

> On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 19:47:05 CEST Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>> 19.10.2016 19:21, Brüns, Stefan пишет:
>>> On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2016 09:41:09 CEST C. R. Oldham wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Brüns, Stefan
>>>>
>>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>> Note that early Tumbleweed (in its current incarnation as a rolling
>>>>> distro)
>>>>> missed to set up /var/cache (and thus /var/cache/zypp/packages) as a
>>>>> seperate subvolume.
>>>>
>>>> [...]
>>>>
>>>>> A new installation has this fixed, an updated installation may be
>>>>> affected.
>>>>
>>>> Is there an easy way to fix this if one has been using Tumbleweed for
>>>> a long time?
>>>
>>> You could have followed the link I provided and you removed from the
>>> quotes
>>> ...
>>
>> ... which says "There must be some steps wrongly documented or omitted." :p
>>
>>> It states the same as what can be found in the SLES 12 SP2 release notes:
>>> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-320834
>>
>> I do not have @ subvolume. OK, I do know how to do it without this link
>> anyway, but still this link won't help those users who happened to
>> install TW when @ was not created and who are not deep in btrfs.
>
> Did you really read the text?
>

Yes, but you are right.

> The text *clearly* states what to do, for both cases (@ subvolume available or
> not). It is a step by step guide, read it, follow it, done.
>

Yes, I skimmed over. Sorry.

> Kind regards,
>
> Stefan
>
> N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩrg==
>

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Karl Ove Hufthammer
In reply to this post by Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar skreiv 19. okt. 2016 19:02:
> Or, as we care for openSUSE and not SLE, the Leap 42.2 release notes
> contain the instructions too:
>
> https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/Leap/42.2/
>
> Even with the distinction if you have a "@" subvolume or not...

I have tried to follow this step-by-step instruction, and steps 1–8
worked well (i.e. no error messages), but step 9 says:

   Add an entry to /etc/fstab for the new /var/cache subvolume. Use an
   existing subvolume as a template to copy from.

However, I do not *have* any existing subvolume entires to use as
templates. Can anyone paste an example subvolume entry?

For the record, the entry for my root partition looks like this:

   LABEL=myroot  /   btrfs   compress,space_cache,ssd 0 0

(Yes, I prefer using a label instead of the UUID.)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

chanjp
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:08:59 PM CDT Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> However, I do not *have* any existing subvolume entires to use as
> templates. Can anyone paste an example subvolume entry?
>
> For the record, the entry for my root partition looks like this:
>
>    LABEL=myroot  /   btrfs   compress,space_cache,ssd 0 0
>
> (Yes, I prefer using a label instead of the UUID.)

Here's an example of a subvolume from my /etc/fstab:

UUID=1dd67662-3768-4ad2-90a2-1e9c6cc11239 /var/tmp btrfs subvol=var/tmp 0 0

Which I changed to:

UUID=1dd67662-3768-4ad2-90a2-1e9c6cc11239 /var/cache btrfs subvol=var/cache 0
0

Hopefully that's the right way about it.

I suppose there could be a way to do it via the YaST Partitioner, which may
make life a bit easier.

P.S. I guess I must be blind because I couldn't find the instructions in
https://features.opensuse.org/320834 either. I appreciate the additional
links.

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Pierre de Villemereuil
In reply to this post by Anton Aylward-2
Hi !

I'm interested in the config features below, so I tried DownloadInHeaps, which
seemed very interesting and a good compromise, but it downloaded everything in
advance. I would expect some independent "heaps" to be downloaded and
installed separately like Plasma on one side, KDE Apps on the other... I even
had an Owncloud update coming from another repo, I would have expected it to
be a separate "heap".

Is there something I'm missing?

DownloadAsNeeded work as expected however (without file conflict check, which
is expected).

Cheers,
Pierre

> There are two ways to run 'zypper up/dup'
>
> The first is to download *ALL* the RPMs, then step though them one by one
> doing the install, the remove them, freeing up that space.
>
> Obviously you need to have enough space not only to download all that but to
> handle any growth.
>
> As you can see from the config file, the download is into /var, which is one
> reason I've suggested that this is put on a different FS from the RootFS.
> I'm really allergic to the BtrFS "One filesystem to rule them all"
> attitude.
>
> The second, which you can arrange by an entry in the config file (where
> else?).
>
> The config file says
>
>
> ## Commit download policy to use as default.
> ##
> ##  DownloadOnly,       Just download all packages to the local cache.
> ##                      Do not install. Implies a dry-run.
> ##
> ##  DownloadInAdvance,  First download all packages to the local cache.
> ##                      Then start to install.
> ##
> ##  DownloadInHeaps,    Similar to DownloadInAdvance, but try to split
> ##                      the transaction into heaps, where at the end of
> ##                      each heap a consistent system state is reached.
> ##
> ##  DownloadAsNeeded    Alternating download and install. Packages are
> ##                      cached just to avid CD/DVD hopping. This is the
> ##                      traditional behaviour.
> ##
> ##  <UNSET>             If a value is not set, empty or unknown, we pick
> ##                      some sane default.
>
> Now you'll probably notice that the install/default is to have it unset and
> you'll says that because of what you encountered its "not sane".  I agree.
>
> The real default seems to be "DownloadInAdvance".  Hence your Big OUCH.
>
> Traditional or not, you need to explicitly set
>
>    commit.downloadMode = DownloadAsNeeded
>
> There's probably some way to do that on the command line if you want to pour
> over the man page in detail.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tumbleweed snapshot 20161006, system ran out of space

Johannes Meixner
In reply to this post by Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar

Hello,

On Oct 19 19:02 Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote (excerpt):

> On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 16:21 +0000, Brüns, Stefan wrote:
>> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12-SP2/#fate-32083
>> 4
> \
>
> Or, as we care for openSUSE and not SLE, the Leap 42.2 release notes
> contain the instructions too:
>
> https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/Leap/42.2/
>
> Even with the distinction if you have a "@" subvolume or not...
I did not investigate that instructions in detail
but on first glance it looks rather complicated.

In particular I wonder why /usr/sbin/mksubvolume
is not used to create such subvolumes in compliance with our
SLE12, Leap, and Tumbleweed default btrfs subvolume structures?

Cf.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2016-10/msg00397.html

I think more and more issues indicate that (open)SUSE really
needs an "official" tool that can create and remove btrfs
subvolumes in full compliance with our various kind of default
btrfs subvolume structures on SLE12, Leap, and Tumbleweed, cf.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2016-10/msg00434.html


Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
12