Tumbleweed on VMs

Tom Kacvinsky
I have need to set up Tumbleweed on a VM.  I am using Parallels for macOS
(that's my daily driver for administrative tasks, from there I jump to my
Linux boxes, or use a VM).  What I find is that I can log in as root, but
as myself, it accepts the password, but does not log me in.  I checked the
usual files (/var/log/messages, dmesg output, /var/log/audit/audit.log,
and the Xorg log file), but didn't see anything why the GUI wouldn't fire
for me.

Any ideas?  Has anyone seen this with KVM?  Just trying to narrow down if
it is a problem with Tumbleweed on VMs in general, or just Parallels.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Tumbleweed on VMs

Re: Tumbleweed on VMs

Tom Kacvinsky
Hi Carlos,

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 08:50:30, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Monday, 2018-01-29 at 13:29 -0000, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
>
> > I have need to set up Tumbleweed on a VM.  I am using Parallels for macOS
> > (that's my daily driver for administrative tasks, from there I jump to my
> > Linux boxes, or use a VM).  What I find is that I can log in as root, but
> > as myself, it accepts the password, but does not log me in.  I checked the
> > usual files (/var/log/messages, dmesg output, /var/log/audit/audit.log,
> > and the Xorg log file), but didn't see anything why the GUI wouldn't fire
> > for me.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Has anyone seen this with KVM?  Just trying to narrow down if
> > it is a problem with Tumbleweed on VMs in general, or just Parallels.
>
> It is possible that some policy forbids login in the graphical session as
> root. I don't remember this instant what had to be done to enable, but it
> is also possible that only some desktop types are affected - so try
> another, just in case.
>
> Wait, I think I may be confused. You can not log as plain user, but you
> can as root? Then the typical culprit is no home directory, maybe "/home"
> is not mounted.

I did some reading on this yesterday, and /home is mounted at boot time,
according to df output.  So I am at a loss.  What I am going to try next
is launch a KVM instance on Leap laptop and see how I fare with that.  If
that works, then the problem is most likely with Parallels.

The fact that I can log get the GUI as root indicates to me that it isn't
a video driver problem.

I also tried to use XFCE, but I was given the "usual" option of switching
dekstops at the log in screen.

Oh yeah, failed to mention that the TW ISO I downloaded was a 2018/01/26
cut, and that, I did a zypper ref/zypper up to bring it current.

I need to do some more research before I pester anyone further.

Tom

Re: Tumbleweed on VMs

Tom Kacvinsky

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 09:40:19, Tom Kacvinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Carlos,
>

>> On Jan 29, 2018, at 08:50:30, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, 2018-01-29 at 13:29 -0000, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
>>
>>> I have need to set up Tumbleweed on a VM.  I am using Parallels for macOS
>>> (that's my daily driver for administrative tasks, from there I jump to my
>>> Linux boxes, or use a VM).  What I find is that I can log in as root, but
>>> as myself, it accepts the password, but does not log me in.  I checked the
>>> usual files (/var/log/messages, dmesg output, /var/log/audit/audit.log,
>>> and the Xorg log file), but didn't see anything why the GUI wouldn't fire
>>> for me.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Has anyone seen this with KVM?  Just trying to narrow down if
>>> it is a problem with Tumbleweed on VMs in general, or just Parallels.
>>
>> It is possible that some policy forbids login in the graphical session as
>> root. I don't remember this instant what had to be done to enable, but it
>> is also possible that only some desktop types are affected - so try
>> another, just in case.
>>
>> Wait, I think I may be confused. You can not log as plain user, but you
>> can as root? Then the typical culprit is no home directory, maybe "/home"
>> is not mounted.
>
> I did some reading on this yesterday, and /home is mounted at boot time,
> according to df output.  So I am at a loss.  What I am going to try next
> is launch a KVM instance on Leap laptop and see how I fare with that.  If
> that works, then the problem is most likely with Parallels.
>
> The fact that I can log get the GUI as root indicates to me that it isn't
> a video driver problem.
>
> I also tried to use XFCE, but I was given the "usual" option of switching
> dekstops at the log in screen.

Was NOT given the usual option to switch desktops.

That NOT makes big difference.

Re: Tumbleweed on VMs