Trying to access IPv6 web page on firefox - revisited

Re: Trying to access IPv6 web page on firefox - revisited

James Knott
On 01/12/2018 04:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I configured the wlan interface of my little home server to automatic
> configuration on IPv6 only (dhcp6). I also wrote in the router:
>
> LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address Configuration
> ( )  EUI-64
> (*)  User Setting
> Interface Identifier: [0:0:0:1]
>
> (see photo of router at susepaste)
>
> But I get nothing on that wlan0 when restarted. I gather I must fill this
> field:
>
> Static LAN IPv6 Address Configuration
> Interface Address (prefix length is required): [______]
>
> I wrote there "fc00::/64", applied, and restarted network on machine.
> Still, no go:

As I said before, you need some method of providing those automatic
addresses.  The usual way is with SLAAC, though DHCPv6 can also be
used.  You need one or the other.  What would you do on IPv4?  You'd set
up DHCP.  With IPv6, you use SLAAC or perhaps DHCPv6.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Stateless_address_autoconfiguration_.28SLAAC.29

I don't know what you're using for a router, but I use pfSense and it
works well.  I used to use OpenSUSE as a firewall/router and it also
worked well, when I had a 6in4 tunnel.

With IPv6, routers use something called router advertisements to
announce the network prefix, default route, DHCP, etc..  If you don't
have RAs, nothing will happen.

Re: Trying to access IPv6 web page on firefox - revisited

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2018-01-12 22:43, James Knott wrote:

> On 01/12/2018 04:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> I configured the wlan interface of my little home server to automatic
>> configuration on IPv6 only (dhcp6). I also wrote in the router:
>>
>> LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address Configuration
>> ( )  EUI-64
>> (*)  User Setting
>> Interface Identifier: [0:0:0:1]
>>
>> (see photo of router at susepaste)
>>
>> But I get nothing on that wlan0 when restarted. I gather I must fill this
>> field:
>>
>> Static LAN IPv6 Address Configuration
>> Interface Address (prefix length is required): [______]
>>
>> I wrote there "fc00::/64", applied, and restarted network on machine.
>> Still, no go:
>
> As I said before, you need some method of providing those automatic
> addresses.  The usual way is with SLAAC, though DHCPv6 can also be
> used.  You need one or the other.  What would you do on IPv4?  You'd set
> up DHCP.  With IPv6, you use SLAAC or perhaps DHCPv6.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Stateless_address_autoconfiguration_.28SLAAC.29
I'm trying to do it with the router as is. I have no idea what the
router does.

> I don't know what you're using for a router, but I use pfSense and it
> works well.  I used to use OpenSUSE as a firewall/router and it also
> worked well, when I had a 6in4 tunnel.

It is a commercial router installed by my ISP and can not be changed.
Comtrend VG-8050

> With IPv6, routers use something called router advertisements to
> announce the network prefix, default route, DHCP, etc..  If you don't
> have RAs, nothing will happen.

I have what I posted on the photo: <http://susepaste.org/56779419>

And no, I don't know what it all means or does.

On 01/12/2018 05:07 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> > With IPv6, routers use something called router advertisements to
>> > announce the network prefix, default route, DHCP, etc..  If you don't
>> > have RAs, nothing will happen.
> I have what I posted on the photo: <http://susepaste.org/56779419>
>
> And no, I don't know what it all means or does.
Well, I see DHCPv6 and RADVD settings there and they appear to show
normal operation.  Stateless DHCPv6 means it is not used to provide
addresses, but can provide addresses for servers, such as DNS.  RADVD is
enabled.  I don't know why the preference is low, though.  Based on what
I see there, it should be providing IPv6 addresses, assuming the ISP
does.  I see it also can provide Unique Local Addresses (ULA).  This is
the IPv6 equivalent of IPv4 RFC 1918 addresses.  You could enable that
to provide usable IPv6 addresses, though they won't connect to the
Internet.  With ULA, you choose a prefix starting with fc00 and add
another 40 bits.  The idea is to use some random means to generate those
40 bits.  I see it can also automagically pick a random prefix.  So,
enable ULA prefix Advertisement and select either random or static, to
create your ULA prefix.  Once that's all done, your devices should have
an IPv6 address.

Incidentally, one thing I don't see, which is available with pfSense, is
the means to have multiple networks.  I have a /56 prefix from my ISP,
which gives me 256 /64 prefixes, to assign to various networks.  This
would imply you only get a single /64.  The same applies with my ISP, if
I used their router.  With the modem in bridge mode, I get the /56.

Re: Trying to access IPv6 web page on firefox - revisited

Andrei Borzenkov
13.01.2018 00:33, Carlos E. R. пишет:

> On Friday, 2018-01-12 at 06:46 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>
>> 12.01.2018 02:21, Carlos E. R. пишет:
>
>>> This is the configuration: <http://susepaste.org/56779419>
>>>

>> You can try enable ULA or add static prefix just to see whether other
>> hosts will pick it up for IPv6 auto-configuration.
>
> I have no idea what to set on my router page to do that.

It has checkbox "Enable ULA Prefix Advertisement" ... and it has table
with column heading "Static Prefix" and "Add" button ... and you are
sitting before this box and can experiment.

> I configured the wlan interface of my little home server to automatic
> configuration on IPv6 only (dhcp6). I also wrote in the router:
>
> LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address Configuration
> ( )  EUI-64
> (*)  User Setting
> Interface Identifier:     [0:0:0:1]

That looks like router own interface IPv6 address.

> (see photo of router at susepaste)
>
> But I get nothing on that wlan0 when restarted. I gather I must fill
> this field:
>
> Static LAN IPv6 Address Configuration
> Interface Address (prefix length is required): [______]

Which again looks like router own interface IPv6 address.

> I wrote there "fc00::/64", applied, and restarted network on machine.
> Still, no go:

You did not change anything related to client configuration, why you
expect any change on client?