Translation of openSUSE documentation

Yunhe Guo
Hi, I am a member of openSUSE Chinese team. We used to work on a
translation project of openSUSE documentation on Transifex and here are
a lot of translation done. Link:

https://www.transifex.com/opensuse-doc/opensuse-manuals/

However, here isn't a way to read any translation on
https://doc.opensuse.org/ . And the Transifex project was not active for
a long time.

My questions are:

1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?

2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just doesn't
support any translation?

3. Could you add a project for documentation on https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?

4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other way?

Thanks!

--
Guo Yunhe

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Tanja Roth
Hi Guo,

thanks a lot for your mail! Most of us here in Europe are still on
Christmas vacation, some until Jan 9.

Therefore please allow for some more days until we get back to you.

Thanks/xie xie,
Tanja

2016-12-26 12:26:49, Guo Yunhe wrote:

> Hi, I am a member of openSUSE Chinese team. We used to work on a
> translation project of openSUSE documentation on Transifex and here are
> a lot of translation done. Link:
>
> https://www.transifex.com/opensuse-doc/opensuse-manuals/
>
> However, here isn't a way to read any translation on
> https://doc.opensuse.org/ . And the Transifex project was not active for
> a long time.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?
>
> 2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just doesn't
> support any translation?
>
> 3. Could you add a project for documentation on https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?
>
> 4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other way?
>
> Thanks!

Could anyone give some suggestions?

--
Guo Yunhe
Aalto University

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Stefan Knorr
Hi Guo Yunhe,

>>  1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?

doc.opensuse.org is just a dumb server. So this is just a matter of
copying the translated files and creating links from the homepage (for
better
or worse).

There is a GitHub repo for the homepage here:
https://github.com/openSUSE/doc.o.o

Feel free to send pull requests if you spot typos, etc.

>>  2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just
>> doesn't
>>  support any translation?

The server itself does not support anything, as I said above.

The documentation sources are in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle .

This repo combines the documentation for SLES, SLED, and openSUSE. For
SLES and SLED, we have professional translators who are currently using
their own process and translation memory, neither of which we have
direct access to. We are delivering them our XML sources, and they
return translated versions. Traditionally, we have used special
translation branches called `trans/...`. As the translators currently
only come in at a certain point during the release cycle, these
branches are basically eternally out-of-sync with the current
development
of the repo.

This setup makes it very hard to work with community translators right
now.

>>  3. Could you add a project for documentation on
>> https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?

Not right now, but it would imho be the preferred eventual solution, at
least for openSUSE.

>>  4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other
>> way?

Feel free to do that: pull requests are always welcome.

For now, I can only suggest you to create a new trans/opensuse422
branch. You should probably start from the content of the `develop`
branch and then see if you can reuse parts from `trans/SLE12SP2`.

I hope that helps somewhat,

Stefan.

---                                                                    .
SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Alessio Adamo

> Hi Guo Yunhe,
>

>>>  1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?
>

> doc.opensuse.org is just a dumb server. So this is just a matter of
> copying the translated files and creating links from the homepage (for
> better
> or worse).
>
> There is a GitHub repo for the homepage here:
> https://github.com/openSUSE/doc.o.o
>
> Feel free to send pull requests if you spot typos, etc.
>

>>>  2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just doesn't
>>>  support any translation?
>

> The server itself does not support anything, as I said above.
>
> The documentation sources are in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle .
>
> This repo combines the documentation for SLES, SLED, and openSUSE. For
> SLES and SLED, we have professional translators who are currently using
> their own process and translation memory, neither of which we have
> direct access to. We are delivering them our XML sources, and they
> return translated versions. Traditionally, we have used special
> translation branches called `trans/...`. As the translators currently
> only come in at a certain point during the release cycle, these
> branches are basically eternally out-of-sync with the current development
> of the repo.
>
> This setup makes it very hard to work with community translators right
> now.
>

>>>  3. Could you add a project for documentation on
>>> https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?
>

> Not right now, but it would imho be the preferred eventual solution, at
> least for openSUSE.
>

>>>  4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other way?
>

> Feel free to do that: pull requests are always welcome.
>
> For now, I can only suggest you to create a new trans/opensuse422
> branch. You should probably start from the content of the `develop`
> branch and then see if you can reuse parts from `trans/SLE12SP2`.
>
> I hope that helps somewhat,
>
> Stefan.
>
> ---                                                                    .
> SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
> Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).

Hi Stefan,

the Release Notes are in the same format as the documentation, but
their translation is accomplished via https://l10n.opensuse.org/
Do you think it is possible to include also the documentation in Weblate?
I have actually found this pull request on github
(https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle/pull/99) but I'm not able to figure
out if it's moving forward or not.
Have you got a clearer picture?
Kind regards

Alessio

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Stefan Knorr
Hi Alessio,

On 21/06/18 17:59, Alessio Adamo wrote:
> the Release Notes are in the same format as the documentation, but
> their translation is accomplished via https://l10n.opensuse.org/
> Do you think it is possible to include also the documentation in Weblate?

Essentially yes, we'd have that option if we finished the PR you found.
Weblate "just" takes PO/POT files, edits them, and commits/pushes them.
The remaining issues are then:
1. generating a POT file with all the translatable strings
2. recombining the translated PO files with the XML content.

Initially, the tools we used for that were unmaintained and buggy.
However, we have since found itstool which is better all around, but we
haven't yet tried applying it to the whole documentation.

I also think (not 100% anymore on this one) Weblate needs a single PO
file per project, so that might be another issue worth investigating.

> I have actually found this pull request on github
> (https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle/pull/99) but I'm not able to figure
> out if it's moving forward or not.

Unfortunately, we (SUSE doc team) somewhat dropped the ball again. :(
I hope we can move it forward once SLE 15 FCS's (mid-July). Otherwise,
you are welcome to contribute to the PR to move it along faster.

Stefan.

--
SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,    .
Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Yunhe Guo
Hi all,

It is a long time since I submit the pull request. Now I would like to
pick it up again.

First, if we think itstool is a better choice we can try to use it. If
nobody does this, I could do it.

Second, Weblate does support documentation translation with multiple po files.

https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/devel/starting.html#translating-documentation-using-sphinx

So, I can see it is promising to finish that workflow if itstool is
good enough as we thought.

Regards,

Stefan Knorr <[hidden email]> 于2018年6月28日周四 上午9:18写道:

> Hi Alessio,
>
> On 21/06/18 17:59, Alessio Adamo wrote:
> > the Release Notes are in the same format as the documentation, but
> > their translation is accomplished via https://l10n.opensuse.org/
> > Do you think it is possible to include also the documentation in Weblate?
>
> Essentially yes, we'd have that option if we finished the PR you found.
> Weblate "just" takes PO/POT files, edits them, and commits/pushes them.
> The remaining issues are then:
> 1. generating a POT file with all the translatable strings
> 2. recombining the translated PO files with the XML content.
>
> Initially, the tools we used for that were unmaintained and buggy.
> However, we have since found itstool which is better all around, but we
> haven't yet tried applying it to the whole documentation.
>
> I also think (not 100% anymore on this one) Weblate needs a single PO
> file per project, so that might be another issue worth investigating.
>

> > I have actually found this pull request on github
> > (https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle/pull/99) but I'm not able to figure
> > out if it's moving forward or not.
>
> Unfortunately, we (SUSE doc team) somewhat dropped the ball again. :(
> I hope we can move it forward once SLE 15 FCS's (mid-July). Otherwise,
> you are welcome to contribute to the PR to move it along faster.
>

> Stefan.
>

> --
> SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,    .
> Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).

--
郭云鹤/Guo Yunhe

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Yunhe Guo
Updated the pull request. Now it uses itstool to convert between gnu
gexttext and docbook xml format. However, it doesn't provide any
command tool to import existing translations.

According to my research, itstool generate a single pot file (7.8 MiB)
for the whole document. So the weblate integration should be quite
easy, no difference from other localization project.

Maybe we should add some kind of XML validation git hook for this
repo. Invalid XML will always fail the process.

Hope someone can review the pull request.

Yunhe Guo <[hidden email]> 于2018年7月11日周三 下午4:02写道:

--
郭云鹤/Guo Yunhe

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Em qui, 12 de jul de 2018 às 11:06, Yunhe Guo
<[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Updated the pull request. Now it uses itstool to convert between gnu
> gexttext and docbook xml format. However, it doesn't provide any
> command tool to import existing translations.
>
> According to my research, itstool generate a single pot file (7.8 MiB)
> for the whole document. So the weblate integration should be quite
> easy, no difference from other localization project.
>
> Maybe we should add some kind of XML validation git hook for this
> repo. Invalid XML will always fail the process.
>
> Hope someone can review the pull request.
>
> Yunhe Guo <[hidden email]> 于2018年7月11日周三 下午4:02写道:

Hi,

Only one file to all documentation? It has 33,000 strings! How can we
know which strings translate to have for example the startup guide? If
its partially translated it will work from po2xml? (the kde pot2xml
need 100% translated while the po2xml from GNOME don't).

5 years ago, Guillaume Gardet did some scripts to make this xmls
translatable (one pot for each xml), you can see here:

https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-doc/trunk/documents/distribution/50-tools/

With the partial translations for 12.3 documentation online here:

http://guillaume.gardet.free.fr/openSUSE-doc/opensuse-all/

Regards,

Luiz

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Yunhe Guo
It is using itstool now, not the kde po2xml, anymore. It supports xml
to pot and po to xml convertion.

The single translation file support partial translation. Generated
translated xml files are good when I test it with Simple Chinese
translation. Strings are ordered by the filenames and line numbers. In
comments, here are source file names and line numbers so it is easy to
know where the string is located. This is good for Weblate online
system, where all openSUSE localization projects are hosted.

The reason why we switched from KDE's po2xml to GNOME's itstool is
that po2xml lose some xml attributes and run into errors sometimes.
And unluckily, po2xml is not actively maintained anymore.

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti <[hidden email]> 于2018年7月12日周四 下午7:39写道:

--
郭云鹤/Guo Yunhe

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Alessio Adamo
Hi Guo,

great job, thanks! I also have some concern about the single file approach.
I would rather follow the approach of project packages-i18n: 1 project
and 102 pot files, 51 for Leap and as many for Tumbleweed.
In this way you have better visibility of the section you are
translating and can have multiple versions of the doc sitting
together.
I am sure that if you take a look at those scripts (you'll find also
the weblate ones), you'll find great inspiration.

https://github.com/openSUSE/packages-i18n

Regards

Alessio

> It is using itstool now, not the kde po2xml, anymore. It supports xml
> to pot and po to xml convertion.
>
> The single translation file support partial translation. Generated
> translated xml files are good when I test it with Simple Chinese
> translation. Strings are ordered by the filenames and line numbers. In
> comments, here are source file names and line numbers so it is easy to
> know where the string is located. This is good for Weblate online
> system, where all openSUSE localization projects are hosted.
>
> The reason why we switched from KDE's po2xml to GNOME's itstool is
> that po2xml lose some xml attributes and run into errors sometimes.
> And unluckily, po2xml is not actively maintained anymore.
>
> Luiz Fernando Ranghetti <[hidden email]> 于2018年7月12日周四 下午7:39写道:
>>
>> Em qui, 12 de jul de 2018 às 11:06, Yunhe Guo
>> <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>> >
>> > Updated the pull request. Now it uses itstool to convert between gnu
>> > gexttext and docbook xml format. However, it doesn't provide any
>> > command tool to import existing translations.
>> >
>> > According to my research, itstool generate a single pot file (7.8 MiB)
>> > for the whole document. So the weblate integration should be quite
>> > easy, no difference from other localization project.
>> >
>> > Maybe we should add some kind of XML validation git hook for this
>> > repo. Invalid XML will always fail the process.
>> >
>> > Hope someone can review the pull request.
>> >
>> > Yunhe Guo <[hidden email]> 于2018年7月11日周三 下午4:02写道:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Only one file to all documentation? It has 33,000 strings! How can we
>> know which strings translate to have for example the startup guide? If
>> its partially translated it will work from po2xml? (the kde pot2xml
>> need 100% translated while the po2xml from GNOME don't).
>>
>> 5 years ago, Guillaume Gardet did some scripts to make this xmls
>> translatable (one pot for each xml), you can see here:
>>
>> https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-doc/trunk/documents/distribution/50-tools/
>>
>> With the partial translations for 12.3 documentation online here:
>>
>> http://guillaume.gardet.free.fr/openSUSE-doc/opensuse-all/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Luiz
>

> --
> 郭云鹤/Guo Yunhe

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Yunhe Guo
Hi Alessio,

Both single file and multiple files approach are possible. I will open
another pull request for multiple file approach. Let people compare
and choose.

Alessio Adamo <[hidden email]> 于2018年7月13日周五 下午2:16写道:

--
郭云鹤/Guo Yunhe