Translation of openSUSE documentation

Guo Yunhe
Hi, I am a member of openSUSE Chinese team. We used to work on a
translation project of openSUSE documentation on Transifex and here are
a lot of translation done. Link:

https://www.transifex.com/opensuse-doc/opensuse-manuals/

However, here isn't a way to read any translation on
https://doc.opensuse.org/ . And the Transifex project was not active for
a long time.

My questions are:

1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?

2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just doesn't
support any translation?

3. Could you add a project for documentation on https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?

4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other way?

Thanks!

--
Guo Yunhe

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Tanja Roth
Hi Guo,

thanks a lot for your mail! Most of us here in Europe are still on
Christmas vacation, some until Jan 9.

Therefore please allow for some more days until we get back to you.

Thanks/xie xie,
Tanja

2016-12-26 12:26:49, Guo Yunhe wrote:

> Hi, I am a member of openSUSE Chinese team. We used to work on a
> translation project of openSUSE documentation on Transifex and here are
> a lot of translation done. Link:
>
> https://www.transifex.com/opensuse-doc/opensuse-manuals/
>
> However, here isn't a way to read any translation on
> https://doc.opensuse.org/ . And the Transifex project was not active for
> a long time.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?
>
> 2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just doesn't
> support any translation?
>
> 3. Could you add a project for documentation on https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?
>
> 4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other way?
>
> Thanks!

Could anyone give some suggestions?

--
Guo Yunhe
Aalto University

Re: Translation of openSUSE documentation

Stefan Knorr
Hi Guo Yunhe,

>>  1. Could you add translation support to https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?

doc.opensuse.org is just a dumb server. So this is just a matter of
copying the translated files and creating links from the homepage (for
better
or worse).

There is a GitHub repo for the homepage here:
https://github.com/openSUSE/doc.o.o

Feel free to send pull requests if you spot typos, etc.

>>  2. Does it use GNU Gettext (po) or other technology? Or it just
>> doesn't
>>  support any translation?

The server itself does not support anything, as I said above.

The documentation sources are in https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle .

This repo combines the documentation for SLES, SLED, and openSUSE. For
SLES and SLED, we have professional translators who are currently using
their own process and translation memory, neither of which we have
direct access to. We are delivering them our XML sources, and they
return translated versions. Traditionally, we have used special
translation branches called `trans/...`. As the translators currently
only come in at a certain point during the release cycle, these
branches are basically eternally out-of-sync with the current
development
of the repo.

This setup makes it very hard to work with community translators right
now.

>>  3. Could you add a project for documentation on
>> https://l10n.opensuse.org/ ?

Not right now, but it would imho be the preferred eventual solution, at
least for openSUSE.

>>  4. Can we contribute translation through Github if here is no other
>> way?

Feel free to do that: pull requests are always welcome.

For now, I can only suggest you to create a new trans/opensuse422
branch. You should probably start from the content of the `develop`
branch and then see if you can reuse parts from `trans/SLE12SP2`.

I hope that helps somewhat,

Stefan.

SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).