Translating in ActiveDoc

Jan Papež (honyczek)
Hi,

I tried to translate Start-Up Guide for the first time. It was quite
easy except:

1) Making permalink in headers

I have to extract id of heading or id of document from HTML source to
replace it with appropriate data in permalink. I would be handy if

 2) Create right text formatting according to Documentation Conventions.

It would be nice if TinyMCE could format text with elements defined in
Documentation Convention. E.g. if I want to highlight filename, it
could be: select text and from Styles dropdown select "filename",
which would enclose text in <code class="filename"></code>.
Now if you select Style filename, selected text is enclosed in <span
class="filename"></code> which is not highlighted by CSS like
Documentation Convention says.

3) I can't include translated articles into any Book

If I select to include it in openSUSE Start-Up, it is included
directly into English manual. Is there any possibility to create a new
book or something to collect translated articles?

4) Some probably out-of-date info

In article About this guide is "4 About the Making of This Manual"
heading. It describes NovDoc formatting. But is it really used?

5) Decision what to translate

I'm confused, what to translate. There are more than one version of
the same Start-Up Guide. I went to Factory, like in Distribution
translation. But when openSUSE 13.2 come, will be Factory copied as
13.2 Documentation?

Thanks for the chance to participate on openSUSE documentation.
--
Jan Papež (honyczek)

Re: Translating in ActiveDoc

Stefan Knorr

Hi Jan,

On 17/02/14 21:00, Jan Papež (honyczek) wrote:
> 1) Making permalink in headers

Indeed. That would be cool, but I don't think it is too easy to implement.

> 2) Create right text formatting according to Documentation
> Conventions.

Apparently, adding custom formats would be easier in a new TinyMCE
version which is not yet compatible with Drupal (which is used as
ActiveDoc's CMS). I am not really informed enough to give you any
further details there. Sorry.

> 3) I can't include translated articles into any Book

No idea.

> 4) Some probably out-of-date info

Good question. Personally, I don't find the sections mentioned helpful
at all. Who cares what we use (or in this case: use_d_) to create the
documentation?

Now, all the current openSUSE documentation was at one point imported
as HTML output of the Novdoc process. This will likely not happen
again, however.
Also, some of the tools mentioned, like XEP, are exclusively used in
creating PDFs. And then, in recent times, we mostly used FOP instead
of XEP, so... even in a (non-ActiveDoc) PDF that is not really true
anymore. ActiveDoc PDFs are created by wkhtmltopdf, another tool
altogether.

Overall, I would not bother with translating this subsection. (Maybe
you can even skip part of the acknowledgements.) Also, remember that
you can make decisions about the English content, too.

> 5) Decision what to translate

The decision was to only keep two versions of the guides around:

+ 12.3: read-only, legacy (not sure if it will be there forever)
+ Factory: editable, up-to-date

This all is to say that the quasi-13.1 documentation (i.e. "Factory")
is supposed to morph into 13.2 documentation as soon as that comes out.

Personally, I think using Factory as the version name is a bit of a
misnomer. Almost no user uses the actual Factory distribution and
therefore it is unlikely anyone will document it. What users do care
about (and can/may want to document) is the stable version of openSUSE.

Thanks for all your input,

Stefan.

- --
SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, D-90409 Nürnberg
Geschäftsführer: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: Translating in ActiveDoc

Tomáš Bažant
Jan Papež (honyczek) píše v Po 17. 02. 2014 v 21:00 +0100:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to translate Start-Up Guide for the first time. It was quite
> easy except:
>
> 1) Making permalink in headers
>
> I have to extract id of heading or id of document from HTML source to
> replace it with appropriate data in permalink. I would be handy if

no easy solution, no 3rd party module for Drupal now, sorry

>  2) Create right text formatting according to Documentation Conventions.
>
> It would be nice if TinyMCE could format text with elements defined in
> Documentation Convention. E.g. if I want to highlight filename, it
> could be: select text and from Styles dropdown select "filename",
> which would enclose text in <code class="filename"></code>.
> Now if you select Style filename, selected text is enclosed in <span
> class="filename"></code> which is not highlighted by CSS like
> Documentation Convention says.

it's not the clean solution, but this can be accomplished by adding new
rules for <span> targets to our css stylesheets, right stefan? :-)

> 3) I can't include translated articles into any Book

first: what do you mean by article? any arbitrary article you added in
ActiveDoc, or a translation of an existing book page?
second: depending on your response, i can probably help you with books
in ActiveDoc

join the #opensise-doc IRC channel and i will guide you

--
Tomáš Bažant <[hidden email]>
SUSE Linux CZ