Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
A few hours ago a specific website <http://www.jpost.com> became
inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by the
DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed instead
(this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in the
navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the same
website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the website,
which made me think that I needed a new profile.

The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do with
a specific browser. There is also no problem with other websites.

I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and openSuSE
software.

I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to anyone?
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Pete Connolly
On 29/07/2009 14:40, Stan Goodman wrote:

> A few hours ago a specific website<http://www.jpost.com>  became
> inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by the
> DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed instead
> (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in the
> navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
> suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the same
> website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the website,
> which made me think that I needed a new profile.
>
> The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
> happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do with
> a specific browser. There is also no problem with other websites.
>
> I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and openSuSE
> software.
>
> I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to anyone?

Hi Stan

Do you use a proxy server with Firefox, Opera and Konqueror?

Cheers

Pete

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 16:48:25 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Pete Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/07/2009 14:40, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > A few hours ago a specific website<http://www.jpost.com>  became
> > inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by
> > the DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed
> > instead (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in
> > the navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
> > suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the
> > same website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the
> > website, which made me think that I needed a new profile.
> >
> > The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
> > happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do
> > with a specific browser. There is also no problem with other
> > websites.
> >
> > I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and
> > openSuSE software.
> >
> > I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to
> > anyone?
>
> Hi Stan
>
> Do you use a proxy server with Firefox, Opera and Konqueror?

I never have, in all these years, and I suppose that has to change now.
You are suggesting that I have been attacked, I gather, which I had also
considered (thus my remark about firewall). But it isn't  clear to me how
all three of these browsers might have been attacked.!?! Nor how this
behavior can affect only that one specific website. And lastly, what to
do about it now in order to get out of this pickle.

On 29/07/2009 15:06, Stan Goodman wrote:

> At 16:48:25 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Pete Connolly
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 29/07/2009 14:40, Stan Goodman wrote:
>>
>>> A few hours ago a specific website<http://www.jpost.com>   became
>>> inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by
>>> the DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed
>>> instead (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in
>>> the navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
>>> suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the
>>> same website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the
>>> website, which made me think that I needed a new profile.
>>>
>>> The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
>>> happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do
>>> with a specific browser. There is also no problem with other
>>> websites.
>>>
>>> I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and
>>> openSuSE software.
>>>
>>> I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to
>>> anyone?
>>>
>> Hi Stan
>>
>> Do you use a proxy server with Firefox, Opera and Konqueror?
>>
> I never have, in all these years, and I suppose that has to change now.
> You are suggesting that I have been attacked, I gather, which I had also
> considered (thus my remark about firewall). But it isn't  clear to me how
> all three of these browsers might have been attacked.!?! Nor how this
> behavior can affect only that one specific website. And lastly, what to
> do about it now in order to get out of this pickle.

I was thinking more in terms of a broken proxy, rather than someone
attacking you.  I've had squid fail in the past which affected my
everyone on my home network until I changed to access the internet directly.

Can you ping www.jpost.com directly from a console?  Not that that's the
best ever test, but I'd like to see if it's networking that's broken or
your browser's routes to jpost.com

Cheers

Pete

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Felix Miata-3
On 2009/07/29 16:40 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman composed in KMail:

> A few hours ago a specific website <http://www.jpost.com> became
> inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by the
> DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed instead
> (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in the
> navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
> suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the same
> website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the website,
> which made me think that I needed a new profile.

> The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
> happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do with
> a specific browser. There is also no problem with other websites.

> I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and openSuSE
> software.

> I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to anyone?

Maybe the site has some funky detection going on, based upon your location
rather than UA or browser settings. Opened right up for me in FF2, Opera &
Konq on OS 11.0 and FF2 & SeaMonkey on OS/2. I only have a hardware
router/firewall to go through. Running traceroute out to it on OS/2 & OS saw
big DNS delay, and two IPs for www.jpost.com: 98.142.96.40 & 98.142.98.40.
--
No Jesus - No peace , Know Jesus -  Know Peace

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Dave Howorth
> On 2009/07/29 16:40 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman composed in KMail:
>> I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to anyone?

You could try ping, telnet, wget and/or lynx and see what responses you
get. You will probably see some useful status information to help you
diagnose the problem.

Cheers, Dave

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Heinz Diehl
On 29.07.2009, Stan Goodman wrote:

> A few hours ago a specific website <http://www.jpost.com> became
> inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by the
> DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed instead
> (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in the
> navigation  field).

Use "tcptraceroute" to find out where it stops, and if the packets reach
the website.

zypper search tcptraceroute

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 17:30:30 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Pete Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/07/2009 15:06, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > At 16:48:25 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Pete Connolly
> >
> > <[hidden email]>  wrote:

> >> Hi Stan
> >>
> >> Do you use a proxy server with Firefox, Opera and Konqueror?
> >
> > I never have, in all these years, and I suppose that has to change
> > now. You are suggesting that I have been attacked, I gather, which I
> > had also considered (thus my remark about firewall). But it isn't
> > clear to me how all three of these browsers might have been
> > attacked.!?! Nor how this behavior can affect only that one specific
> > website. And lastly, what to do about it now in order to get out of
> > this pickle.
>
> I was thinking more in terms of a broken proxy, rather than someone
> attacking you.  I've had squid fail in the past which affected my
> everyone on my home network until I changed to access the internet
> directly.
>
> Can you ping www.jpost.com directly from a console?  Not that that's
> the best ever test, but I'd like to see if it's networking that's
> broken or your browser's routes to jpost.com

I haven't been able to ping that server for years; I'm sure it's set up
not to allow ping. In the same way, I haven't been able to ping cnn.com,
which is working fine here.

Furthermore, Firefox in the WinXP virtual machine has no trouble with the
problematic server.

My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three browsers (or
something that they have in common) are screwed up.

jdd@dodin.org
Stan Goodman a écrit :

>> Can you ping www.jpost.com directly from a console?  Not that that's

> My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three browsers (or
> something that they have in common) are screwed up.

no ping but I can access this jerusalem post server with no problem

with Firefox
jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Manfred Hollstein-4
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, 17:45:52 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
> [...]
> I haven't been able to ping that server for years;

You could try

  telnet www.jpost.com 80

as an attempt to access that site with the most stupid browser.

>                                                    I'm sure it's set up
> not to allow ping. In the same way, I haven't been able to ping cnn.com,
> which is working fine here.
>
> Furthermore, Firefox in the WinXP virtual machine has no trouble with the
> problematic server.
>
> My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three browsers (or
> something that they have in common) are screwed up.

Did you install some extensions on the M$ OS for which there are no
equivalents on Linux?

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred

On 29.07.2009, jdd (kim2) wrote:

> no ping

htd@liesel:~> ping www.jpost.com
PING orig-10008.jpost.cotcdn.net (94.127.76.40) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=64.7 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=63.6 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=3 ttl=49 time=65.5 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=4 ttl=49 time=64.5 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=5 ttl=49 time=63.6 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=6 ttl=49 time=63.5 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=7 ttl=49 time=63.5 ms
64 bytes from LB140.AMST.COTENDO.NET (94.127.76.40): icmp_seq=8 ttl=49 time=64.6 ms
^C
--- orig-10008.jpost.cotcdn.net ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 8 received, 0% packet loss, time 7010ms

I can both ping and access the website without any problems.

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Felix Miata-3
On 2009/07/29 11:45 (GMT-0400) Stan Goodman composed:

> Furthermore, Firefox in the WinXP virtual machine has no trouble with the
> problematic server.

> My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three browsers (or
> something that they have in common) are screwed up.

In Firefox and/or SeaMonkey in about:config what do you see resulting from an
ipv filter? If ...disableIPv6 is false, try true. If true, try false.
--
No Jesus - No peace , Know Jesus -  Know Peace

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 17:52:30 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2009/07/29 16:40 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman composed in KMail:
> > A few hours ago a specific website <http://www.jpost.com> became
> > inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by
> > the DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed
> > instead (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in
> > the navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
> > suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the
> > same website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the
> > website, which made me think that I needed a new profile.
> >
> > The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
> > happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do
> > with a specific browser. There is also no problem with other
> > websites.
> >
> > I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and
> > openSuSE software.
> >
> > I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to
> > anyone?
>
> Maybe the site has some funky detection going on, based upon your
> location rather than UA or browser settings. Opened right up for me in

But FF in WinXP (virtual machine) is in the same location as is openSuSE.
And surely the newspaper doesn't think my location is suspicious -- it's
a local newspaper, although the server is in the US.

> FF2, Opera & Konq on OS 11.0 and FF2 & SeaMonkey on OS/2. I only have a
> hardware router/firewall to go through. Running traceroute out to it on
> OS/2 & OS saw big DNS delay, and two IPs for www.jpost.com:
> 98.142.96.40 & 98.142.98.40. --

Odd. You're much closer to the server than I am.

I pinged both IP addresses, both successfully. The first one found no
packets lost, and a return time very consistent between 240 - 243ms; the
second came back faster 261 - 171ms, but with 14% lost packets. Both of
these look acceptable to me, but I 'm wondering if set a different DNS
address for the WinXP. I'll check that.

I did a traceroute. The times are all very moderate, except there is a
very infrequent delay here at the ISP, that amounted at worst to 186ms,
but is mostly on the same two-digit order as all the rest.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 17:59:28 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Dave Howorth
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 2009/07/29 16:40 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman composed in KMail:
> >> I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to
> >> anyone?
>
> You could try ping, telnet, wget and/or lynx and see what responses you
> get. You will probably see some useful status information to help you
> diagnose the problem.

Ping is impossible, as I have explained. I can send a screenshot of mtr
traceroute if anyone wishes, but it looks OK to me. Here is what wget
produces, which also doesn't indicate any problem:

*****
:~> wget jpost.com
--2009-07-29 19:36:35--  http://jpost.com/
Resolving jpost.com... 192.114.68.46
Connecting to jpost.com|192.114.68.46|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.jpost.com/ [following]
--2009-07-29 19:36:35--  http://www.jpost.com/
Resolving www.jpost.com... 98.142.108.40
Connecting to www.jpost.com|98.142.108.40|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 ok
Length: 123543 (121K) [text/html]
Saving to: `index.html.1'

100%[======================================>] 123,543      189K/s   in
0.6s

2009-07-29 19:36:35 (189 KB/s) - `index.html.1' saved [123543/123543]
*****

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 18:49:11 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, "jdd (kim2)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stan Goodman a écrit :
> >> Can you ping www.jpost.com directly from a console?  Not that that's
> >
> > My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three
> > browsers (or something that they have in common) are screwed up.
>
> no ping but I can access this jerusalem post server with no problem
>
> with Firefox

So can I -- from Firefox in the WinXP virtual machine. I can 't think
there is anything wrong with the server, as I have said. Something very
strange has happened with the browsers in openSuSE.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 19:02:36 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Manfred Hollstein
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, 17:45:52 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > [...]
> > I haven't been able to ping that server for years;
>
> You could try
>
>   telnet www.jpost.com 80
>
> as an attempt to access that site with the most stupid browser.
>
> >                                                    I'm sure it's set
> > up not to allow ping. In the same way, I haven't been able to ping
> > cnn.com, which is working fine here.
> >
> > Furthermore, Firefox in the WinXP virtual machine has no trouble with
> > the problematic server.
> >
> > My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three
> > browsers (or something that they have in common) are screwed up.
>
> Did you install some extensions on the M$ OS for which there are no
> equivalents on Linux?

Firefox Extensions in OS and WinXP are synchronized with Xmarks. Whatever
is in one is also in the other.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 19:08:40 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2009/07/29 11:45 (GMT-0400) Stan Goodman composed:

> > Furthermore, Firefox in the WinXP virtual machine has no trouble with
> > the problematic server.
> >
> > My conclusion is that the server is ok, and somehow all three
> > browsers (or something that they have in common) are screwed up.
>
> In Firefox and/or SeaMonkey in about:config what do you see resulting
> from an ipv filter? If ...disableIPv6 is false, try true. If true, try
> false.

It was True; now it is False. Makes no difference.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Charles philip Chan
Stan Goodman <[hidden email]>
writes:

> Ping is impossible,

This os really strange. I have no problems pinging jpost:

,----
| hoor@MagnusOpus:~> ping www.jpost.com
| PING orig-10008.jpost.cotcdn.net (98.142.102.40) 56(84) bytes of data.
| 64 bytes from LB140.CHIC.COTENDO.NET (98.142.102.40): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=37.8 ms
| 64 bytes from LB140.CHIC.COTENDO.NET (98.142.102.40): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=38.1 ms
| 64 bytes from LB140.CHIC.COTENDO.NET (98.142.102.40): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=37.5 ms
`----

Also, I have no problems accessing the site with Firefox 3.5.1.

> *****
> :~> wget jpost.com
> --2009-07-29 19:36:35--  http://jpost.com/
> Resolving jpost.com... 192.114.68.46
> Connecting to jpost.com|192.114.68.46|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
> Location: http://www.jpost.com/ [following]
> --2009-07-29 19:36:35--  http://www.jpost.com/
> Resolving www.jpost.com... 98.142.108.40
> Connecting to www.jpost.com|98.142.108.40|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 ok
> Length: 123543 (121K) [text/html]
> Saving to: `index.html.1'
>
> 100%[======================================>] 123,543      189K/s   in
> 0.6s
>
> 2009-07-29 19:36:35 (189 KB/s) - `index.html.1' saved [123543/123543]
> *****
Hum, so wget can connect. Have you tried disabling all your firefox
Add-ons to see if it works? Also, is anything set up for proxy in
Firefox?

Charles

--
"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk ?"
Microsoft spel chekar vor sail, worgs grate !!

Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Dave Plater
Stan Goodman wrote:

> A few hours ago a specific website <http://www.jpost.com> became
> inaccessible in Firefox, and began to behave as if unrecognized by the
> DNS. Calling its URL caused my own home page to be displayed instead
> (this is what happens when a non-existent URL is entered in the
> navigation  field).  When this continued for so long as to become
> suspicious, I logged into WinXP in VirtualBox, and found that the same
> website is accessed normally, so there is nothing wrong with the website,
> which made me think that I needed a new profile.
>
> The new profile is also unable to access the website. The same thing
> happens on Opera and on Konqueror, so the problem has nothing to do with
> a specific browser. There is also no problem with other websites.
>
> I am behind two separate firewalls (hardware in my router and openSuSE
> software.
>
> I am out of ways to diagnose the problem. Does it make sense to anyone?

With konqueror, in settings, you have the ability to set the browser
identification, try setting it to one of the internet explorer versions.
Regards
Dave P

Re: Re: Three different browsers can't access website, fourth can

Stan Goodman-3
At 20:06:03 on Wednesday Wednesday 29 July 2009, Charles Philip Chan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stan Goodman <[hidden email]>
>
> writes:
> > Ping is impossible,
>
> This os really strange. I have no problems pinging jpost:
>
> ,----
>
> | hoor@MagnusOpus:~> ping www.jpost.com
> | PING orig-10008.jpost.cotcdn.net (98.142.102.40) 56(84) bytes of
> | data. 64 bytes from LB140.CHIC.COTENDO.NET (98.142.102.40):
> | icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=37.8 ms 64 bytes from LB140.CHIC.COTENDO.NET
> | (98.142.102.40): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=38.1 ms 64 bytes from
> | LB140.CHIC.COTENDO.NET (98.142.102.40): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=37.5
> | ms ...
>
> `----
>
> Also, I have no problems accessing the site with Firefox 3.5.1.
>
> > *****
> >
> > :~> wget jpost.com
> >
> > --2009-07-29 19:36:35--  http://jpost.com/
> > Resolving jpost.com... 192.114.68.46
> > Connecting to jpost.com|192.114.68.46|:80... connected.
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
> > Location: http://www.jpost.com/ [following]
> > --2009-07-29 19:36:35--  http://www.jpost.com/
> > Resolving www.jpost.com... 98.142.108.40
> > Connecting to www.jpost.com|98.142.108.40|:80... connected.
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 ok
> > Length: 123543 (121K) [text/html]
> > Saving to: `index.html.1'
> >
> > 100%[======================================>] 123,543      189K/s
> > in 0.6s
> >
> > 2009-07-29 19:36:35 (189 KB/s) - `index.html.1' saved [123543/123543]
> > *****
>
> Hum, so wget can connect. Have you tried disabling all your firefox
> Add-ons to see if it works? Also, is anything set up for proxy in
> Firefox?

There is no proxy.

But I have found another strange behavior that may give a clue to people
with more insight than me:

When such a URL as:
<http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1139395637450&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull>
is placed in the navigation field, I did arrive at the proper page. When
I tried truncating the subdirectories, leaving only
<http://www.jpost.com>, however, I was returned to my own site, which
appears to be the default for unknown URLs. I have to say that I have
never understood how or why the browser makes this connection, since the
URL of my site is NOT the home page listed in the Preferences.

In any case, now it seems clear that Firefox can find the jpost server if
the page is specified, but is somehow stuck on avoiding the naked base
URL.

Also that wherever the sticking place is, it affects not only FF, but also
Opera and Konqueror. What have these browsers got in common?
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on