This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Bruce Marshall
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 19:40, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Bruce Marshall <[hidden email]> [11-08-06 19:36]:
> > Which brings up the question - - -   what's to migrate?
> >
> > Why don't we just all hop on over and join the opensuse list.....?
> >
> > I must have missed something.
>
> Apparently, from Henne's post:
>
> 1. This list, [hidden email], will be renamed to
> [hidden email] This means that mails to you will come from the new
> address and for posting you also have to send mail to
> [hidden email].
>    The old list adress will still work but is depreceated. I will turn
>    it off in the future (with notice).
>
> 2. Your subscription will get transfered to the new listserver. No action
>    on your part is required to continue reciving mails from this list.

Yeh, but.......

I just joined [hidden email].   I hear what you're saying (and he
said)...   no big deal I guess.

See ya all there...   (wear flashy clothing so we can recognize each other....
I think it may be a bit more crowded over there.)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Basil Chupin
Henne Vogelsang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as announced a while ago on the big lists [1] we will move this
> list to the new mailinglist server. We have also decided to rename it
> while moving it. All this will happen this friday (2006.11.10). I cant say
> exactly at which time but i will send a short heads-up mail right before
> we are doing it.
>
> This means a few things for you.
>
> 1. This list, [hidden email], will be renamed to [hidden email]
>    This means that mails to you will come from the new address and for
>    posting you also have to send mail to [hidden email].
>    The old list adress will still work but is depreceated. I will turn
>    it off in the future (with notice).

[pruned]

I know that this is not the mail list affected, but what about
[hidden email] ?

Did I miss a post in suse-ot about its migration?

Cheers.

--
"If the terrier and the bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

                                         George W. Bush  January 2000

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Scott Jones-6
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 18:34, Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> It turns out that the LOV on Kmail filter settings shows
> X-Mailing-List instead of X-Mailinglist.  I wonder if there's any standard
> on that :(

No, there isn't.  X-* headers are optional, user-defined headers, as covered
by RFC 822, Section 4.7.5 (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/#z35).

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Henne Vogelsang-2

On Thursday, November 09, 2006 at 01:00:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Thursday 2006-11-09 at 00:42 +0100, I wrote:
>
> > > Does this mean that this list is being merged with the existing
> > > [hidden email] list?
> >
> > That's what I understand.
>
> But I don't understand what he will do with this list archive :-?

Tell me. I dont know yet 8) I gues i will merge them. Everything else is
pretty ugly.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, Core Services
"Rules change. The Game remains the same."

On Thursday, November 09, 2006 at 14:23:42, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Henne Vogelsang wrote:
> >
> >as announced a while ago on the big lists [1] we will move this
> >list to the new mailinglist server.
>
> I know that this is not the mail list affected, but what about
> [hidden email] ?
>
> Did I miss a post in suse-ot about its migration?

No you didnt. I will migrate it at some later time.

Henne

On Wednesday, November 08, 2006 at 20:57:56, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 19:44 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
> > we will move this list to the new mailinglist server.
>
> > 3. Because of the renaming the mailinglist headers will change.
> >    If you filter for headers in your mail setup please adopt
> >    your setup accordingly. New headers will look like this:
>
> All sounds good.
>
> I filter on [SLE] in the subject (and similar for amd64 list). Will that
> change?

Yes it will change to [opensuse]. Dont filter on the subject. Use the
X-Mailinglist/Mailing-List header. Thats what they are there for.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, Core Services
"Rules change. The Game remains the same."
                         - Omar (The Wire)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Dave Howorth
Henne Vogelsang wrote:
>> I filter on [SLE] in the subject (and similar for amd64 list). Will that
>> change?
>
> Yes it will change to [opensuse].

Thank you.

> Dont filter on the subject. Use the
> X-Mailinglist/Mailing-List header. Thats what they are there for.

I appreciate the advice. I filter on the subject because the
X-Mailinglist list header is not present when people make private
replies, which they frequently do.

What will be the header for the amd64 list, please?

Thanks and regards,
Dave

Dave Howorth wrote:

> Henne Vogelsang wrote:
>>> I filter on [SLE] in the subject (and similar for amd64 list). Will that
>>> change?
>> Yes it will change to [opensuse].
>
> Thank you.
>
>> Dont filter on the subject. Use the
>> X-Mailinglist/Mailing-List header. Thats what they are there for.
>
> I appreciate the advice. I filter on the subject because the
> X-Mailinglist list header is not present when people make private
> replies, which they frequently do.

Sorry to question your response, but if someone makes a private reply
then it shouldn't go into this forum and not be replied to and so
accidentally appear in this forum. A private message should remain private.

In fact one of the things which has been 'plaguing' me is that a private
message sent as a response to a message in this forum has been ending up
here rather than in my private mail box (because it would invariably
have [SLE] in the Subject field).

A few minutes ago I discovered an option in Thunderbird which I didn't
know existed ('cause I never looked closely :-) ) and that is that any
field in the Header can be added to the Message Filter and now I can
filter on X-Mailinglist rather than on any of the other, normal,
'default' fields.

Cheers.

--
"If the terrier and the bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

                                         George W. Bush  January 2000

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Dave Howorth
Carlos E. R. wrote:

You know something Carlos, I usually strongly agree with what you write,
but here we differ :)

> The Thursday 2006-11-09 at 11:16 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
>
>>> Dont filter on the subject. Use the
>>> X-Mailinglist/Mailing-List header. Thats what they are there for.
>> I appreciate the advice. I filter on the subject because the
>> X-Mailinglist list header is not present when people make private
>> replies, which they frequently do.
>
> Private answers are private and should be archived diferently from the
> list mail.

My archives are *mine*. What I choose to put in them and how I choose to
organize and access them are *my* decisions.

You are free to organize yours how you wish but please don't try to
insist that I must organize mine in the same way as yours.

Or shall we all switch to an M$ trusted platform? :)

>> What will be the header for the amd64 list, please?

Hmmm. I guess I wasn't pedantic enough for you when I asked that
question. Taken in context, I think it's clear that what I meant to say was:

  'What will be the equivalent string in square brackets on the subject
line of mails in the replacement for the suse-amd64 list, please? (i.e.
the replacement for "[suse-amd64]")'.

Anyway, I've said it now.

> As said in
> <http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-amd64/2006-11/msg00001.html>

I guess as we're being pedantic, the correct archive reference is:
<http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/2006-Nov/0003.html> which
oddly enough I am aware of as a list member :) And the answer to my
question isn't in that message.

I'm beginning to wonder. Was it the real Carlos E. R. or Gandalf who
replied to me?

Cheers, Dave

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Patrick Shanahan
* Dave Howorth <[hidden email]> [11-09-06 09:49]:
>   'What will be the equivalent string in square brackets on the subject
> line of mails in the replacement for the suse-amd64 list, please? (i.e.
> the replacement for "[suse-amd64]")'.

[opensuse-amd64]
_if_ Henne follows suit.
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

The Thursday 2006-11-09 at 14:42 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

> > Private answers are private and should be archived diferently from the
> > list mail.
>
> My archives are *mine*. What I choose to put in them and how I choose to
> organize and access them are *my* decisions.
>
> You are free to organize yours how you wish but please don't try to
> insist that I must organize mine in the same way as yours.

Of course you are free to organize it as you like! But I'm also free to
think that it is a wrong way, that for instance can lead you to answer in
public a private answer, as Basil said.

If you ask any question at all in a public list, you may receive answers
of many types. If people think that what you intend to do is not perceived
as correct or the best method, they will probably tell you so. We may not
restrict ourselves to give an straight answer if we think is an incorrect
method.

> Or shall we all switch to an M$ trusted platform? :)

That doesn't have anything to do with this.

> >> What will be the header for the amd64 list, please?

> Hmmm. I guess I wasn't pedantic enough for you when I asked that
> question. Taken in context, I think it's clear that what I meant to say was:
>
>   'What will be the equivalent string in square brackets on the subject
> line of mails in the replacement for the suse-amd64 list, please? (i.e.
> the replacement for "[suse-amd64]")'.
>
> Anyway, I've said it now.

I knew what you wanted to ask, but that's not what you asked in fact :-P

Anyway, it is obvious, isn't it? "[opensuse-amd64]"

> > As said in
> > <http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-amd64/2006-11/msg00001.html>
>
> I guess as we're being pedantic, the correct archive reference is:
> <http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/2006-Nov/0003.html> which
> oddly enough I am aware of as a list member :)

The archive has already been migrated. You can check for yourself that
they contain "[suse-amd64]" in the subject line, not yet the new token.

> And the answer to my
> question isn't in that message.

Perhaps because we all think that filtering on the subject line is
"incorrect" :-P

> I'm beginning to wonder. Was it the real Carlos E. R. or Gandalf who
> replied to me?

No, it was Mithrandir.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Darryl Gregorash
On 09/11/06 04:01, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

> Hi,

>>> That's what I understand.
>>>
>> But I don't understand what he will do with this list archive :-?
>>

> Tell me. I dont know yet 8) I gues i will merge them. Everything else is
> pretty ugly.
See, you would not have this problem if you had just renamed this list
opensuse-en as we suggested :-)

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Thursday 09 November 2006 15:42, Dave Howorth wrote:
> My archives are *mine*. What I choose to put in them and how I choose to
> organize and access them are *my* decisions.

Yes indeed, but if you re-send private replies to a public forum, you are
violating trust, and will subsequently never be trusted again.

But as you said, that is your choice

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: This list will be migrated to opensuse@opensuse.org

Dave Howorth-2
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 19:59 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 15:42, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > My archives are *mine*. What I choose to put in them and how I choose to
> > organize and access them are *my* decisions.
>
> Yes indeed, but if you re-send private replies to a public forum, you are
> violating trust, and will subsequently never be trusted again.
>
> But as you said, that is your choice

I said nothing at all about sending private messages to public fora! And
I take offence at the implication. Where did you get the impression that
I did?

Cheers, Dave

On Thursday 09 November 2006 20:20, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 19:59 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 November 2006 15:42, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > > My archives are *mine*. What I choose to put in them and how I choose
> > > to organize and access them are *my* decisions.
> >
> > Yes indeed, but if you re-send private replies to a public forum, you are
> > violating trust, and will subsequently never be trusted again.
> >
> > But as you said, that is your choice
>
> I said nothing at all about sending private messages to public fora! And
> I take offence at the implication. Where did you get the impression that
> I did?

I didn't say you would, but I've seen it happen many many times with people
who filter the way you do. It's always followed by a "woops, I didn't realize
it was a private mail, I read it in my mailing list folder"

On 09/11/06 13:20, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 19:59 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 09 November 2006 15:42, Dave Howorth wrote:
>>
>>> My archives are *mine*. What I choose to put in them and how I choose to
>>> organize and access them are *my* decisions.
>>>
>> Yes indeed, but if you re-send private replies to a public forum, you are
>> violating trust, and will subsequently never be trusted again.
>>
>> But as you said, that is your choice
>>

> I said nothing at all about sending private messages to public fora! And
> I take offence at the implication. Where did you get the impression that
> I did?
<sigh>
What a major complication to such a minor question.

There is already an opensuse-amd64 list; presumably all the
suse/opensuse lists follow the same convention for the subject line --
all the suse lists I currently subscribe to do.

If/when Henne is ready to migrate your current list, I assume that a) he
will make the appropriate announcement, b) it will be done in a manner
that is transparent to anyone currently filtering on the X-MailingList
header, and c) if your particular filters don't keep working, you will
notice as soon as the change is made, allowing you to modify your
filters appropriately and run them against your (now clogged) inbox.

All said, you are probably better off filtering on the X-MailingList
header rather than the subject line. The subject line modifications
might not be cast in concrete, but the other is. As always, mileage varies.

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 15:18 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> <sigh>
> What a major complication to such a minor question.
>
> There is already an opensuse-amd64 list; presumably all the
> suse/opensuse lists follow the same convention for the subject line --
> all the suse lists I currently subscribe to do.
>
> If/when Henne is ready to migrate your current list, I assume

Please, will you all stop *assuming* what Henne will do and let him
answer for himself!

I ass u me  - ever heard that?

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 20:29 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:

> On Thursday 09 November 2006 20:20, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes indeed, but if you re-send private replies to a public forum, you are
> > > violating trust, and will subsequently never be trusted again.
> > >
> > > But as you said, that is your choice
> >
> > I said nothing at all about sending private messages to public fora! And
> > I take offence at the implication. Where did you get the impression that
> > I did?
>
> I didn't say you would,

You certainly implied it, and I strongly resent that implication.

I think what you did do was read somebody else's post containing an
implication and you transferred that implication to me. I would ask you
to read [non-technical content of] posts more carefully and think about
what you're saying.

>  but I've seen it happen many many times with people
> who filter the way you do. It's always followed by a "woops, I didn't realize
> it was a private mail, I read it in my mailing list folder"

I'm hard pushed to see how you think one can reply a private email and
accidently send it to a list except by specifically adding the list to
the recipients? I don't see that the filtering method or storage
location has anything to do with it at all. It requires very specific
actions, not just accidently pressing some button.

I do agree that replying privately when it should be to a list is a
common problem that is easy to do accidently.

Cheers, Dave

PS Sorry to all that I'm so touchy about this subject, but I'd like to
see reason and free thought prevail in this forum rather than prejudice,
political correctness and sloppy thought.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

123