The use of templates in the wiki

Andre Kaper en Edith Smit
Recently I decided to translate a number of articles about AMD graphical
hardware into  the Dutch language, but I found myself mainly editing English
AMD articles before I could  actually do just that.
I edited the SDB:radeon page because it went no further than openSUSE 11.4 and
it didn't follow wiki guidelines.
If someone could review this, I would be very pleased.

Question:
After a recent discussion on the Dutch forum with a forum moderator about the
AMD/ATI wiki pages containing information in too great of a detail, I read the
wiki guideline articles and now I'm a bit confused.
For example I would like to do something like this:
Portal: AMD
HCL:AMD (for all drivertypes one article, containing the lists that are now in
the SDB articles)
Howto:AMD (for all drivertypes one article for installation and setup for
beginners)
SDB:AMD radeon and radeonhd (details, troubleshooting, finetuning)
SDB: AMD fglrx and  fglrx-legacy (details, CLI installation procedures,
troubleshooting, finetuning)
And perhaps a FAQ:AMD (when to install what, questions asked on the forum)
But imho it seems to be the practice all around the wiki to mainly use SDB
templates.

I hope some people can elaborate on this. I need some feedback before I feel
free to go any further.

Re: The use of templates in the wiki

Rajko M.
On Mon, 06 May 2013 10:03:10 +0200
Andre Kaper en Edith Smit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recently I decided to translate a number of articles about AMD
> graphical hardware into  the Dutch language, but I found myself
> mainly editing English AMD articles before I could  actually do just
> that. I edited the SDB:radeon page because it went no further than
> openSUSE 11.4 and it didn't follow wiki guidelines.
> If someone could review this, I would be very pleased.

One thing that was kind of new in the SDB:Radeon page was navigation,
that is now replaced with Knowledge template. I approved page as is
because I have no idea when I will redesign that template.

(It was designed before we had idea what new wiki tools can do, so all
updates are manual, instead of using semiautomatic update by publishing
category listing.)

> Question:
> After a recent discussion on the Dutch forum with a forum moderator
> about the AMD/ATI wiki pages containing information in too great of a
> detail, I read the wiki guideline articles and now I'm a bit
> confused. For example I would like to do something like this:
> Portal: AMD

AMD graphics is probably too small topic to use portal for that.
Graphic support and troubleshooting, in general, is another pair of
shoes. Something like "Portal:Graphics" would be large enough.

> HCL:AMD (for all drivertypes one article, containing the lists that
> are now in the SDB articles)

HCL name space can be used for driver support for hardware.

> Howto:AMD (for all drivertypes one article for installation and setup
> for beginners)

Howto name space was defined in old wiki. It is not defined in a new
one, and it is depreciated as all that stuff should go to SDB name
space. I have to see status in language wikis.

> SDB:AMD radeon and radeonhd (details, troubleshooting, finetuning)
> SDB: AMD fglrx and  fglrx-legacy (details, CLI installation
> procedures, troubleshooting, finetuning)
> And perhaps a FAQ:AMD (when to install what, questions asked on the
> forum) But imho it seems to be the practice all around the wiki to
> mainly use SDB templates.

FAQ name space is the same case as Howto. It is not defined in a new
wiki.

> I hope some people can elaborate on this. I need some feedback before
> I feel free to go any further.

I hope above helps, if you have more questions, just ask.

--
Regards, Rajko.