The state of translations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The state of translations

Javier Llorente-2
Hello team mates,

Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html

Futhermore, there have been no news from the SLE side regarding any kind of
cooperation with the community (last email is from November 2018). It all
started with a translator who overwrote some translated and proofread
strings back in June 2018.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2018-06/msg00000.html
E.g. https://paste.opensuse.org/view//96282138

I, as a translator, would like to see some changes regarding this situation
(and in a timely manner, if possible).

Regards,
--
Javier Llorente

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi Javier,

Excuse me for the late answer.
It was difficult to write emails with my laptop in the last days (private reasons with outside activities).

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2019 um 21:50 Uhr
> Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
>
> Hello team mates,
>
> Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
> time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
>
We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?

> Futhermore, there have been no news from the SLE side regarding any kind of
> cooperation with the community (last email is from November 2018). It all
> started with a translator who overwrote some translated and proofread
> strings back in June 2018.
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2018-06/msg00000.html
> E.g. https://paste.opensuse.org/view//96282138
>
> I, as a translator, would like to see some changes regarding this situation
> (and in a timely manner, if possible).
>
SLE Translations are in Microfocus hands at the moment and the Project Manager is organizing the handover for the beginning of the next year. I had a meeting before the openSUSE Conference.
I told him what we prefer in communication and where I can see improvements in the future.

He is reading this mailing list, too. He can add your ideas for communication processes between SLE and the community.
I told him about "old" email addresses and the request for updated email addresses to achieve such problem translators (if they are SLE translators).

What is another idea for improvements by you? It is difficult to receive new translators in the community if we limit the access to Weblate for only special translators.

Best regards,
Sarah
> Regards,
> --
> Javier Llorente
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Javier Llorente-2
El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
> Hi Javier,

Hi Sarah,

> Excuse me for the late answer.
> It was difficult to write emails with my laptop in the last days (private
> reasons with outside activities).

No problem.

> > Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2019 um 21:50 Uhr
> > Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
> >
> > Hello team mates,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
> > time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
>
> We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
> Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?
"Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
screenshots:

openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f

openSUSE Leap 15.1 (YaST with updates installed)
https://paste.opensuse.org/view//0e8e17da

This is very prominent. I don't know why it didn't go through - it was
corrected a long time ago.
I will keep reviewing the translations.

> > Futhermore, there have been no news from the SLE side regarding any kind
> > of
> > cooperation with the community (last email is from November 2018). It all
> > started with a translator who overwrote some translated and proofread
> > strings back in June 2018.
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2018-06/msg00000.html
> > E.g. https://paste.opensuse.org/view//96282138
> >
> > I, as a translator, would like to see some changes regarding this
> > situation
> > (and in a timely manner, if possible).
>
> SLE Translations are in Microfocus hands at the moment and the Project
> Manager is organizing the handover for the beginning of the next year. I
> had a meeting before the openSUSE Conference. I told him what we prefer in
> communication and where I can see improvements in the future.
Good.

> He is reading this mailing list, too. He can add your ideas for
> communication processes between SLE and the community. I told him about
> "old" email addresses and the request for updated email addresses to
> achieve such problem translators (if they are SLE translators).
>
> What is another idea for improvements by you? It is difficult to receive new
> translators in the community if we limit the access to Weblate for only
> special translators.

For instance, before changing a translated word many times, sending an email
to this list would help.

But the most important thing is not having a Weblate open to the whole world.
New translators could suggest changes to be reviewed. Once that person has
submitted several changes (and have been approved as well), we could give the
appropriate Weblate rights to that person. Well, rights could be given without
having to follow this procedure if that person is already a translator of
another FLOSS project. We could be a bit flexible :)

As discussed before, a common glossary with the SLE translators would be good
as well.

And last, but not least, I suggest updating the translations on Tumbleweed/
Leap as frequent as possible. Or at least knowing when they are going to be
updated on both Tumbleweed and Leap.

> Best regards,
> Sarah
>
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Javier Llorente

Regards,
--
Javier Llorente

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch


> Gesendet: Dienstag, 02. Juli 2019 um 23:56 Uhr
> Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Cc: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
>
> El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
> > Hi Javier,
>
> Hi Sarah,
>
> > Excuse me for the late answer.
> > It was difficult to write emails with my laptop in the last days (private
> > reasons with outside activities).
>
> No problem.
>
> > > Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2019 um 21:50 Uhr
> > > Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> > > An: [hidden email]
> > > Betreff: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
> > >
> > > Hello team mates,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
> > > time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> > > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
> >
> > We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
> > Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?
>
> "Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
> screenshots:
>
> openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
> https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f
>
> openSUSE Leap 15.1 (YaST with updates installed)
> https://paste.opensuse.org/view//0e8e17da
>
That is the yast-installer and the YaST Team has the update of our po files and translations full automated in Jenkins:
https://github.com/yast/yast-translations

> This is very prominent. I don't know why it didn't go through - it was
> corrected a long time ago.

I will speak with them what was going wrong.

> I will keep reviewing the translations.
>
> > > Futhermore, there have been no news from the SLE side regarding any kind
> > > of
> > > cooperation with the community (last email is from November 2018). It all
> > > started with a translator who overwrote some translated and proofread
> > > strings back in June 2018.
> > > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2018-06/msg00000.html
> > > E.g. https://paste.opensuse.org/view//96282138
> > >
> > > I, as a translator, would like to see some changes regarding this
> > > situation
> > > (and in a timely manner, if possible).
> >
> > SLE Translations are in Microfocus hands at the moment and the Project
> > Manager is organizing the handover for the beginning of the next year. I
> > had a meeting before the openSUSE Conference. I told him what we prefer in
> > communication and where I can see improvements in the future.
>
> Good.
>
> > He is reading this mailing list, too. He can add your ideas for
> > communication processes between SLE and the community. I told him about
> > "old" email addresses and the request for updated email addresses to
> > achieve such problem translators (if they are SLE translators).
> >
> > What is another idea for improvements by you? It is difficult to receive new
> > translators in the community if we limit the access to Weblate for only
> > special translators.
>
> For instance, before changing a translated word many times, sending an email
> to this list would help.
>
> But the most important thing is not having a Weblate open to the whole world.
> New translators could suggest changes to be reviewed. Once that person has
> submitted several changes (and have been approved as well), we could give the
> appropriate Weblate rights to that person. Well, rights could be given without
> having to follow this procedure if that person is already a translator of
> another FLOSS project. We could be a bit flexible :)
>
> As discussed before, a common glossary with the SLE translators would be good
> as well.
>
> And last, but not least, I suggest updating the translations on Tumbleweed/
> Leap as frequent as possible. Or at least knowing when they are going to be
> updated on both Tumbleweed and Leap.
>
> > Best regards,
> > Sarah
> >
> > > Regards,
> > > --
> > > Javier Llorente
>
> Regards,
> --
> Javier Llorente
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch


> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juli 2019 um 07:45 Uhr
> Von: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
>
>
>
> > Gesendet: Dienstag, 02. Juli 2019 um 23:56 Uhr
> > Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Cc: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <[hidden email]>
> > Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
> >
> > El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
> > > Hi Javier,
> >
> > Hi Sarah,
> >
> > > Excuse me for the late answer.
> > > It was difficult to write emails with my laptop in the last days (private
> > > reasons with outside activities).
> >
> > No problem.
> >
> > > > Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2019 um 21:50 Uhr
> > > > Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> > > > An: [hidden email]
> > > > Betreff: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
> > > >
> > > > Hello team mates,
> > > >
> > > > Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
> > > > time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> > > > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
> > >
> > > We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
> > > Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?
> >
> > "Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
> > screenshots:
> >
> > openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
> > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f
> >
> > openSUSE Leap 15.1 (YaST with updates installed)
> > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//0e8e17da
> >
> That is the yast-installer and the YaST Team has the update of our po files and translations full automated in Jenkins:
> https://github.com/yast/yast-translations
>
> > This is very prominent. I don't know why it didn't go through - it was
> > corrected a long time ago.
>

When did you change the content?
I had my IRC talk with our YaST Developers and the content is the same. Which content do you expect?

> > > Best regards,
> > > Sarah
> > >
> > > > Regards,
> > > > --
> > > > Javier Llorente
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Javier Llorente
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
In reply to this post by Javier Llorente-2
On 7/2/19 11:56 PM, Javier Llorente wrote:
>
> "Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
> screenshots:
>
> openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
> https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f

The label for that button in English is "Abort" (correctly translated to
"Abortar"), not "Cancel" as you seem to assume. See the English version.

https://paste.opensuse.org/view//78866698

Or did I miss your point?

> openSUSE Leap 15.1 (YaST with updates installed)
> https://paste.opensuse.org/view//0e8e17da
>
> This is very prominent. I don't know why it didn't go through - it was
> corrected a long time ago.

Corrected in which way? I mean, what was the wrong .po content and what
is the corrected one?.

Those strings like "cancel" and "abort" come from the yast-base project
on Weblate. According to my investigations, there is no significant
differences regarding those string in the Weblate source[1] and in the
es.po file included in Leap 15.1.

[1] https://paste.opensuse.org/view//78866698
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Leap:15.1/yast2-trans

In short, I'm not sure what do you believe is wrong.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

jcsl
In reply to this post by Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi.

El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
> > Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
> > time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
>
> We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
> Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?

I, as a translator too, have two doubts about translations:

1) How often are the sources in Weblate updated? It seems to me that some
translation files in Weblate are outdated given that I haven't been able to
find some strings in the recent past (the already mentioned "abort" string,
for example).

2) How often are translations actually included in Tumbleweed updates? I
mention Tumbleweed because is what I'm using. I think that there's no movement
until a new Leap version reaches the translation stage. Could someone clarify
this? I do see yast's translation packages updated now and then, but it looks
like a rebuild of the packages because I can't spot changes I made weeks or
months ago.

Greetings.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

jcsl
In reply to this post by Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
Hi.

El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 10:56:09 (CEST) Ancor Gonzalez Sosa escribió:

> On 7/2/19 11:56 PM, Javier Llorente wrote:
> > "Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
> > screenshots:
> >
> > openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
> > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f
>
> The label for that button in English is "Abort" (correctly translated to
> "Abortar"), not "Cancel" as you seem to assume. See the English version.
>
> https://paste.opensuse.org/view//78866698
>
> Or did I miss your point?

We had it already translated by "cancelar" and it was changed without any
advise. "Cancelar" is what we have been using since it is the translation that
we have agreed to in the glossary¹. The use of "abortar" instead of "cancelar"
looks strange to me because "cancelar" is used much more than "abortar" in any
Spanish translation I've ever seen. I really can't remember having seen
"abortar" in any of the programs that I usually use other than YaST. That
said, I don't mind using one or the other, but I think that the translation
should always be the same to be consistent.

[1] https://es.opensuse.org/Traducci%C3%B3n/Glosario

Greetings.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch


> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juli 2019 um 13:08 Uhr
> Von: "jcsl" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
>
> Hi.
>
> El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 10:56:09 (CEST) Ancor Gonzalez Sosa escribió:
> > On 7/2/19 11:56 PM, Javier Llorente wrote:
> > > "Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
> > > screenshots:
> > >
> > > openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
> > > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f
> >
> > The label for that button in English is "Abort" (correctly translated to
> > "Abortar"), not "Cancel" as you seem to assume. See the English version.
> >
> > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//78866698
> >
> > Or did I miss your point?
>
> We had it already translated by "cancelar" and it was changed without any
> advise. "Cancelar" is what we have been using since it is the translation that
> we have agreed to in the glossary¹. The use of "abortar" instead of "cancelar"
> looks strange to me because "cancelar" is used much more than "abortar" in any
> Spanish translation I've ever seen. I really can't remember having seen
> "abortar" in any of the programs that I usually use other than YaST. That
> said, I don't mind using one or the other, but I think that the translation
> should always be the same to be consistent.
>
When did you change that in yast-base the last time? We have "Abort" there and that has been released.
You are able to change the content again if anything is wrong. I had to do that before the Leap release this year, too.
One Contributor has corrected his contributions on his own after one email.
That is something I expect for the future in every language, too.

> [1] https://es.opensuse.org/Traducci%C3%B3n/Glosario
>
> Greetings.
>
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Em qua, 3 de jul de 2019 às 08:39, Sarah Julia Kriesch
<[hidden email]> escreveu:

>
>
>
> > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juli 2019 um 13:08 Uhr
> > Von: "jcsl" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 10:56:09 (CEST) Ancor Gonzalez Sosa escribió:
> > > On 7/2/19 11:56 PM, Javier Llorente wrote:
> > > > "Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
> > > > screenshots:
> > > >
> > > > openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
> > > > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f
> > >
> > > The label for that button in English is "Abort" (correctly translated to
> > > "Abortar"), not "Cancel" as you seem to assume. See the English version.
> > >
> > > https://paste.opensuse.org/view//78866698
> > >
> > > Or did I miss your point?
> >
> > We had it already translated by "cancelar" and it was changed without any
> > advise. "Cancelar" is what we have been using since it is the translation that
> > we have agreed to in the glossary¹. The use of "abortar" instead of "cancelar"
> > looks strange to me because "cancelar" is used much more than "abortar" in any
> > Spanish translation I've ever seen. I really can't remember having seen
> > "abortar" in any of the programs that I usually use other than YaST. That
> > said, I don't mind using one or the other, but I think that the translation
> > should always be the same to be consistent.
> >
> When did you change that in yast-base the last time? We have "Abort" there and that has been released.
> You are able to change the content again if anything is wrong. I had to do that before the Leap release this year, too.
> One Contributor has corrected his contributions on his own after one email.
> That is something I expect for the future in every language, too.
>

Hi,

Seems that is this string, changed one year ago:

https://l10n.opensuse.org/translate/yast-base/master/es/?q=abort&search=substring&source=1&target=1&type=all&offset=5

Regards.

Luiz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Alexander Melentev
In reply to this post by Sarah Julia Kriesch
Dear Javier,
after some quick research it looks that your claims are incorrect as
based on wrong assumptions.

Translations are updated on a regular basis, current state of
yast-base's es.po in git:
"POT-Creation-Date: 2019-07-02 02:29+0000\n" - updated yesterday
"PO-Revision-Date: 2019-05-14 23:54+0000\n" - updated less than 2 months ago

"Unagreed" translations were not pushed by some evil uncalled
translator, it was automated change, here is the diff in question:
https://github.com/yast/yast-translations/commit/9fb14085f66a48c7f7f5fca6afb2f24d7c8c4d86
It was done 2017-12-22 by SLE Merge Robot <[hidden email]>

So, no restrictions in Weblate will protect you from changes made by
administrator.




--
Regards, Minton.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
In reply to this post by jcsl
On 7/3/19 12:41 PM, jcsl wrote:

> Hi.
>
> El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
>>> Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
>>> time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
>>> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
>>
>> We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
>> Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?
>
> I, as a translator too, have two doubts about translations:

I can only answer regarding YaST. I guess is actually different for
different parts of the distribution.

> 1) How often are the sources in Weblate updated?

Every single day at 2:24 AM (Central European Time).

> It seems to me that some
> translation files in Weblate are outdated given that I haven't been able to
> find some strings in the recent past (the already mentioned "abort" string,
> for example).

As already mentioned (although I pasted the wrong link in my original
mail), that string is in yast-base. Here is the right link:
https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/yast-base/master/

These lines are for the corresponding yast-base-es.po file that I just
downloaded from Weblate:

> msgid "Abo&rt"
> msgstr "Aborta&r"
>
> msgid "Abo&rt Installation"
> msgstr "Aborta&r la instalación"

Those msgid has been there for ages.

So let me state it for the second time in this thread: the source files
for YaST translations are always up-to-date. We have automation in place
to ensure that.

> 2) How often are translations actually included in Tumbleweed updates? I
> mention Tumbleweed because is what I'm using. I think that there's no movement
> until a new Leap version reaches the translation stage. Could someone clarify
> this? I do see yast's translation packages updated now and then, but it looks
> like a rebuild of the packages because I can't spot changes I made weeks or
> months ago.

That's something you can easily verify here
https://build.opensuse.org/package/revisions/openSUSE:Factory/yast2-trans

It looks to me like it's updated once a month.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 03. Juli 2019 um 16:12 Uhr
> Von: "Ancor Gonzalez Sosa" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
>
> On 7/3/19 12:41 PM, jcsl wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
> >>> Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
> >>> time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> >>> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
> >>
> >> We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
> >> Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?
> >
> > I, as a translator too, have two doubts about translations:
>
> I can only answer regarding YaST. I guess is actually different for
> different parts of the distribution.
>
> > 1) How often are the sources in Weblate updated?
>
> Every single day at 2:24 AM (Central European Time).
>
> > It seems to me that some
> > translation files in Weblate are outdated given that I haven't been able to
> > find some strings in the recent past (the already mentioned "abort" string,
> > for example).
>
It seems that the search in Weblate does not work at the moment. I tried that and you are not able to find existing strings in the files.

> As already mentioned (although I pasted the wrong link in my original
> mail), that string is in yast-base. Here is the right link:
> https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/yast-base/master/
>
> These lines are for the corresponding yast-base-es.po file that I just
> downloaded from Weblate:
>
> > msgid "Abo&rt"
> > msgstr "Aborta&r"
> >
> > msgid "Abo&rt Installation"
> > msgstr "Aborta&r la instalación"
>
> Those msgid has been there for ages.
>
> So let me state it for the second time in this thread: the source files
> for YaST translations are always up-to-date. We have automation in place
> to ensure that.
>
> > 2) How often are translations actually included in Tumbleweed updates? I
> > mention Tumbleweed because is what I'm using. I think that there's no movement
> > until a new Leap version reaches the translation stage. Could someone clarify
> > this? I do see yast's translation packages updated now and then, but it looks
> > like a rebuild of the packages because I can't spot changes I made weeks or
> > months ago.
>
> That's something you can easily verify here
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/revisions/openSUSE:Factory/yast2-trans
>
> It looks to me like it's updated once a month.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Ancor González Sosa
> YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

jcsl
In reply to this post by Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
Hi.

El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 16:12:09 (CEST) Ancor Gonzalez Sosa escribió:
> On 7/3/19 12:41 PM, jcsl wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch
escribió:

> >>> Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a
> >>> long
> >>> time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
> >>> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html
> >>
> >> We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
> >> Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?
> >
> > I, as a translator too, have two doubts about translations:
> I can only answer regarding YaST. I guess is actually different for
> different parts of the distribution.
>
> > 1) How often are the sources in Weblate updated?
>
> Every single day at 2:24 AM (Central European Time).
>
> > It seems to me that some
> > translation files in Weblate are outdated given that I haven't been able
> > to
> > find some strings in the recent past (the already mentioned "abort"
> > string,
> > for example).
>
> As already mentioned (although I pasted the wrong link in my original
> mail), that string is in yast-base. Here is the right link:
> https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/yast-base/master/
>
> These lines are for the corresponding yast-base-es.po file that I just
>
> downloaded from Weblate:
> > msgid "Abo&rt"
> > msgstr "Aborta&r"
> >
> > msgid "Abo&rt Installation"
> > msgstr "Aborta&r la instalación"
>
> Those msgid has been there for ages.
>
> So let me state it for the second time in this thread: the source files
> for YaST translations are always up-to-date. We have automation in place
> to ensure that.
>

Ok. I've found them now. I'm sure I searched the string before and I was not
able to find it. It seems that Weblate doesn't ignore the ampersand in the
strings, but I'm almost sure I did search substrings too. I don't understand
how could I have failed to find the strings. I've also found now some other
strings I was not able to find before. Go figure...

> > 2) How often are translations actually included in Tumbleweed updates? I
> > mention Tumbleweed because is what I'm using. I think that there's no
> > movement until a new Leap version reaches the translation stage. Could
> > someone clarify this? I do see yast's translation packages updated now
> > and then, but it looks like a rebuild of the packages because I can't
> > spot changes I made weeks or months ago.
>
> That's something you can easily verify here
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/revisions/openSUSE:Factory/yast2-trans
>
> It looks to me like it's updated once a month.

I see things I translated six months ago that are not included in Tumbleweed.
For example,

   https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/packages-i18n/yast2-master/es/

is almost 100% translated, but the descriptions in YaST/zypper are still in
English¹. I think that there are more translations in packages-i18n taking
quite some time to be included in Tumbleweed's updates. I haven't used Weblate
lately so I can't remember what was I working on last time. Not related to
YaST, I filed the bug report #1055248 on 2017-08-23, it was closed on
2018-11-13, and it was published only a few days ago. The package was already
translated before I filed the bug report. The difference in the inclusion of
the updates is what led me to ask the question.

>
> Cheers.

Greetings.

[1] https://paste.opensuse.org/view//67695127



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Javier Llorente-2
In reply to this post by Alexander Melentev
El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 14:25:49 (CEST) Alexander Melentev escribió:
> Dear Javier,

Dear Alexander,

> after some quick research it looks that your claims are incorrect as
> based on wrong assumptions.
>
> Translations are updated on a regular basis, current state of
> yast-base's es.po in git:
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2019-07-02 02:29+0000\n" - updated yesterday
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2019-05-14 23:54+0000\n" - updated less than 2 months ago

Well, the git repository could be up-to-date and not the packages.
 
> "Unagreed" translations were not pushed by some evil uncalled
> translator, it was automated change, here is the diff in question:
> https://github.com/yast/yast-translations/commit/9fb14085f66a48c7f7f5fca6afb
> 2f24d7c8c4d86 It was done 2017-12-22 by SLE Merge Robot
> <[hidden email]>

Please look for "Aborta&r" on Weblate. You'll see that the very same person
suggested the change and it was accepted by sle-merge-robot. So not everything
was reverted.

Jcsl changed lots of them but we forgot to revert two of one. Sorry for the
noise.
 
> So, no restrictions in Weblate will protect you from changes made by
> administrator.

Of course, an admin is the Master of the Universe :-P

Greetings,
--
Javier Llorente

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Javier Llorente-2
El jueves, 4 de julio de 2019 23:48:06 (CEST) Javier Llorente escribió:
> El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 14:25:49 (CEST) Alexander Melentev
escribió:

> > Dear Javier,
>
> Dear Alexander,
>
> > after some quick research it looks that your claims are incorrect as
> > based on wrong assumptions.
> >
> > Translations are updated on a regular basis, current state of
> > yast-base's es.po in git:
> > "POT-Creation-Date: 2019-07-02 02:29+0000\n" - updated yesterday
> > "PO-Revision-Date: 2019-05-14 23:54+0000\n" - updated less than 2 months
> > ago
> Well, the git repository could be up-to-date and not the packages.
>
> > "Unagreed" translations were not pushed by some evil uncalled
> > translator, it was automated change, here is the diff in question:
> > https://github.com/yast/yast-translations/commit/9fb14085f66a48c7f7f5fca6a
> > fb 2f24d7c8c4d86 It was done 2017-12-22 by SLE Merge Robot
> > <[hidden email]>
>
> Please look for "Aborta&r" on Weblate. You'll see that the very same person
> suggested the change and it was accepted by sle-merge-robot. So not
> everything was reverted.
>
> Jcsl changed lots of them but we forgot to revert two of one. Sorry for the
> noise.
I forgot to ask for two things:

1. Please push these changes to TW and Leap.
2. Please investigate what Jcsl is saying regarding YaST translations not
being pushed to TW [1].

I hope that future translations updates like the one to command-not-found are
pushed in a timely manner. As mentioned before, in this case it took months to
show up on TW.

[1] https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-07/msg00011.html

Thanks,
--
Javier Llorente

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The state of translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch
In reply to this post by Javier Llorente-2


> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 04. Juli 2019 um 23:48 Uhr
> Von: "Javier Llorente" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
>
> El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 14:25:49 (CEST) Alexander Melentev escribió:
> > Dear Javier,
>
> Dear Alexander,
>
> > after some quick research it looks that your claims are incorrect as
> > based on wrong assumptions.
> >
> > Translations are updated on a regular basis, current state of
> > yast-base's es.po in git:
> > "POT-Creation-Date: 2019-07-02 02:29+0000\n" - updated yesterday
> > "PO-Revision-Date: 2019-05-14 23:54+0000\n" - updated less than 2 months ago
>
> Well, the git repository could be up-to-date and not the packages.
>  
The git repo is up-to-date every time. Especially the YaST team is a role model in automated packaging of translations for their software in openSUSE. They take what they receive.

> > "Unagreed" translations were not pushed by some evil uncalled
> > translator, it was automated change, here is the diff in question:
> > https://github.com/yast/yast-translations/commit/9fb14085f66a48c7f7f5fca6afb
> > 2f24d7c8c4d86 It was done 2017-12-22 by SLE Merge Robot
> > <[hidden email]>
>
> Please look for "Aborta&r" on Weblate. You'll see that the very same person
> suggested the change and it was accepted by sle-merge-robot. So not everything
> was reverted.
>
> Jcsl changed lots of them but we forgot to revert two of one. Sorry for the
> noise.
>  
That is something where I prefer 1 person in every language to have it in mind. I am doing that as the German Coordinator in German, too.
I have subscribed the most important translation files and watch all the changes. If anything is incorrect I can write to the Contributor (email address mostly in the file on github) or I can revert that directly. Watching is the job of the language Coordinator...

> > So, no restrictions in Weblate will protect you from changes made by
> > administrator.
>
> Of course, an admin is the Master of the Universe :-P

You don't need admin permissions to watch that all. We have to improve the communication between SLE translators and the community. If you explain the opinions of your team, they will accept that mostly.
>
> Greetings,
> --
> Javier Llorente

Best regards,
Sarah
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]