Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2

Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2

Christian Zigotzky-2
Hi list,

Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2 PowerPC.

It runs very well on my Power Mac G5 2003, 2.0GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATi Radeon
9600 128 MB with sound and X11 support.

Unfortunately Firefox doesn't work. I use the Firefox by ppcnux.de.

Are there any updates available for openSUSE 12.2 PowerPC e.g. Firefox 16?

Cheers,

Christian

Re: Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2

Dinar Valeev-2
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Christian Zigotzky
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2 PowerPC.
>
> It runs very well on my Power Mac G5 2003, 2.0GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATi Radeon 9600
> 128 MB with sound and X11 support.
Glad to hear that.

> Unfortunately Firefox doesn't work. I use the Firefox by ppcnux.de.
How exactly it doesn't work?

> Are there any updates available for openSUSE 12.2 PowerPC e.g. Firefox 16?
Updates are quite problematic now. We need to be 100% sure that
updated version will built against PowerPC.

Especially with Firefox, we have not enough memory on the Build
Service  workers. And it have a hack in openSUSE:12.2:PowerPC project
to have it built.

Maybe Marcus can add more here.

> Cheers,
>
> Christian

Re: Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 10:35:37PM +0100, Dinar Valeev wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Christian Zigotzky
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 12.2 PowerPC.
> >
> > It runs very well on my Power Mac G5 2003, 2.0GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATi Radeon 9600
> > 128 MB with sound and X11 support.
> Glad to hear that.

> > Unfortunately Firefox doesn't work. I use the Firefox by ppcnux.de.
> How exactly it doesn't work?

> > Are there any updates available for openSUSE 12.2 PowerPC e.g. Firefox 16?
> Updates are quite problematic now. We need to be 100% sure that
> updated version will built against PowerPC.

We have no setup for powerpc maitnenance is in the buildservice
maintenance structure yet, and it is not easy apparently.

I have to work with Adrian et.al. to see if we can set something up.

We would either go along with the regular 12.2 update or shadow
them in some way then, unclear exactly how.

> Especially with Firefox, we have not enough memory on the Build
> Service  workers. And it have a hack in openSUSE:12.2:PowerPC project
> to have it built.
>
> Maybe Marcus can add more here.

Ciao, Marcus

Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 13.1 PowerPC

Christian Zigotzky-2

I have installed openSUSE 13.1 PowerPC with QEMU on a USB flash drive.

Command:

qemu-system-ppc -M mac99 -m 2048 -bios /usr/share/openbios/openbios-ppc
-cdrom openSUSE-NET-ppc-Build0022-Media.iso -usb -usbdevice
host:0781:556c -boot order=d -net nic,vlan=0,model=e1000 -net user,vlan=0

And then I have copied it to an ext4 partition on my AmigaOne X1000
(Nemo board with a PA6T cpu). It works great on my AmigaOne X1000.
Thanks a lot for the version 13.1 PowerPC. You're doing a great job.

Screenshot:
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de/amiga/openSUSE_13.1_kernel_3.9.8_A1-X1000.jpg

Have a nice weekend. :-)

Cheers,

Christian

Thank you very much indeed for openSUSE 13.1 PowerPC Part 2

Christian Zigotzky-2
Just for info. openSUSE 13.1 on a Sam440ep Flex PowerPC computer:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2411&p=27023#p27023

PA6T board: openSUSE 13.2 PPC64 boots and works

Christian Zigotzky-2
Hi All,

Just for info: openSUSE 13.2 PPC64 boots and works on my PA6T board.

Thank you so much for openSUSE 13.2 PPC64!

Rgds,

Christian

openSUSE_13.2_PPC64_AMIGA_one_X1000.jpg (324K) Download Attachment

PA6T board: openSUSE 13.2 PPC64 boots and works

Christian Zigotzky-2
Hi All,

The performance is very well. I installed it on a SSD today. The PA6T
PowerPC CPU has 2 cores with 1.8GHz. The A1-X1000 has 8GB RAM.

Rgds,

Christian

On 07/05/2015 1:10 p.m., Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just for info: openSUSE 13.2 PPC64 boots and works on my PA6T board.
>
> Thank you so much for openSUSE 13.2 PPC64!
>
> Rgds,
>
> Christian

openSUSE_13.2_PPC64_AMIGA_one_X1000-2.jpg (627K) Download Attachment

PA6T board: openSUSE 13.2 PPC64 initrd

Christian Zigotzky-2
Hi All,

I've tried to boot the openSUSE 13.2 install program from an openSUSE
installation initial ramdisk with my AMIGA one X1000 today. The
installation initial ramdisk boots but unfortunately the install program
exit with these following error messages:

sh: /lib64/libreadline.so.6: no version information available (required
by sh)
sh: relocation error: sh: symbol rl_signal_event_hook, version
READLINE_6.3 not defined in file libreadline.so.6 with link time reference
install program exit code is 127

I booted it with the vanilla kernel 4.1 RC3 and with the openSUSE kernel
3.9.8.1. I have the same problem with QEMU/"PR" KVM.

Here is the whole test:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3013&p=33753#p33753

I think the 'libreadline.so.6' is the problem. The AMIGA one X1000 users
have to install openSUSE 13.2 with another installed Linux currently.
(see installation instructions:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3013#p33717)

Cheers,

Christian

PA6T board: openSUSE 13.2 PPC64 initrd

Christian Zigotzky-2
Hi All,

I've tried the 13.2 install initrd instead of the tumbleweed initrd and
the installation started.

 >>> openSUSE installation program v5.0.26 (c) 1996-2014 SUSE Linux GmbH <<<

But only with the text front-end.

"Your computer does not fulfill all requirements for a graphical
installation. There is either less than 96 MB memory or the X server
could not be started. As fallback, the text front-end of YaST2 will
guide you through the installation. This front-end offers the same
functionality as the graphical one, but the screens differ from those in
the manual"

The problem isn't the memory. It has 8GB memory. The problem is the X
server. It didn't work with the AMIGA one X1000 tarball either. I had to
configure it with "X -configure". After that Xorg works without any
problems.

Alex, thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Christian