Taskbar in KDE

Stakanov Schufter
I have apparently a taskbar (empty) that sits in one account and I do not
manage to close it.
How is it possible to list all open taskbars in a user account under kde?
Is there a kind of taskbar manager?
Thank you.

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 06:44]:
> I have apparently a taskbar (empty) that sits in one account and I do not
> manage to close it.

a *second* taskbar ??

> How is it possible to list all open taskbars in a user account under kde?
> Is there a kind of taskbar manager?

<rt><mouse-click>

  provides a red skull & cross bones mouse pointer
  put over the taskbar and <lft><mouse-click>

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 08:47:02, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 06:44]:
> > I have apparently a taskbar (empty) that sits in one account and I do not
> > manage to close it.
>
> a *second* taskbar ??
>
> > How is it possible to list all open taskbars in a user account under kde?
> > Is there a kind of taskbar manager?
>
> <rt><mouse-click>

>   provides a red skull & cross bones mouse pointer
>   put over the taskbar and <lft><mouse-click>
yes a second, and I do not understand what it is. The first is hidden and set
to "automatic appear". It covers the second that appears empty and "dead". I
will try to kill it but I doubt that this will be durable.
<rt><mouse-click>
I didn't get that one, right-click? Because with right click I do not see such
an option.

Looks like that:
http://paste.opensuse.org/11085848

where I wonder: could it be fruit of a dual monitor setup while in the moment,
being off docking-station, I use only one?

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 09:07]:

> In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 08:47:02, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
> > * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 06:44]:
> > > I have apparently a taskbar (empty) that sits in one account and I do not
> > > manage to close it.
> >
> > a *second* taskbar ??
> >
> > > How is it possible to list all open taskbars in a user account under kde?
> > > Is there a kind of taskbar manager?
> >
> > <rt><mouse-click>

> >   provides a red skull & cross bones mouse pointer
> >   put over the taskbar and <lft><mouse-click>
> yes a second, and I do not understand what it is. The first is hidden and set
> to "automatic appear". It covers the second that appears empty and "dead". I
> will try to kill it but I doubt that this will be durable.
> <rt><mouse-click>
> I didn't get that one, right-click? Because with right click I do not see such
> an option.
>

> Looks like that:
> http://paste.opensuse.org/11085848
>
> where I wonder: could it be fruit of a dual monitor setup while in the moment,
> being off docking-station, I use only one?

unlock the widgets
then the right end of the taskbar panel presents menues when clicked on

In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 10:35:28, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 09:07]:
> > In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 08:47:02, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
> > > * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 06:44]:
> > >
> > > a *second* taskbar ??

> > > <rt><mouse-click>

> > >   provides a red skull & cross bones mouse pointer
> > >   put over the taskbar and <lft><mouse-click>
> >
> > yes a second, and I do not understand what it is. The first is hidden and
> > set to "automatic appear". It covers the second that appears empty and
> > "dead". I will try to kill it but I doubt that this will be durable.
> > <rt><mouse-click>
> > I didn't get that one, right-click? Because with right click I do not see
> > such an option.
> >

> > Looks like that:
> > http://paste.opensuse.org/11085848
> >
> > where I wonder: could it be fruit of a dual monitor setup while in the
> > moment, being off docking-station, I use only one?
>
> unlock the widgets
> then the right end of the taskbar panel presents menues when clicked on

Ok. I tried this.
No reaction of that "bar".
When I kill it however the whole desktop goes down right away. To be able to
start that user again, I have first to term with sigterm all processes open
(only desktop went down so akonadi etc not). Then I have to kill a residual x-
server.
But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.

Re: Taskbar in KDE

jdd@dodin.org
Le 08/01/2017 à 20:39, stakanov a écrit :

>> then the right end of the taskbar panel presents menues when clicked on
>
> Ok. I tried this.

> But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.

can you first create an other task bar? I just solved some similar
problem like this

jdd

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 20:44:46, jdd ha scritto:

> Le 08/01/2017 à 20:39, stakanov a écrit :
> >> then the right end of the taskbar panel presents menues when clicked on
> >
> > Ok. I tried this.
> >
> > But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.
>
> can you first create an other task bar? I just solved some similar
> problem like this
>
> jdd
You mean I create a third one and then I try to get of the two superfluous?

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:

> In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 10:35:28, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
> > > Looks like that:
> > > http://paste.opensuse.org/11085848
> > >
> > > where I wonder: could it be fruit of a dual monitor setup while in the
> > > moment, being off docking-station, I use only one?
> >
> > unlock the widgets
> > then the right end of the taskbar panel presents menues when clicked on
>
> Ok. I tried this.
> No reaction of that "bar".
> When I kill it however the whole desktop goes down right away. To be able to
> start that user again, I have first to term with sigterm all processes open
> (only desktop went down so akonadi etc not). Then I have to kill a residual x-
> server.
> But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.

ok, I didn't look at the photo.  The ??second?? taskbar, "spazio del .."
appears to be a folder on your desktop, perhaps a widget.  What happens if
you unlock widgets and <left><click> and hold the mouse depressed?  You
should get a drop-down "menu" bar with option to remove widget, red circle
containing an "x".

ps: this was "deliberately" placed on your desktop.  perhaps accidentally
but still, deliberately.

and if the above supposition is correct about what you are calling a
second "taskbar", it is not a taskbar.

ps2: I have never seen your primary taskbar displayed in that manner, but
I don't use leap (yet, next upgrade for my 13.1 server).

Le 08/01/2017 à 20:56, stakanov a écrit :

>>> Ok. I tried this.
>>>
>>> But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.
>>
>> can you first create an other task bar? I just solved some similar
>> problem like this
>>
>> jdd
> You mean I create a third one and then I try to get of the two superfluous?

yes

jdd

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 15:00:37, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:

> > > unlock the widgets
> > > then the right end of the taskbar panel presents menues when clicked on
> >
> > Ok. I tried this.
> > No reaction of that "bar".
> > When I kill it however the whole desktop goes down right away. To be able
> > to start that user again, I have first to term with sigterm all processes
> > open (only desktop went down so akonadi etc not). Then I have to kill a
> > residual x- server.
> > But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.
>
> ok, I didn't look at the photo.  The ??second?? taskbar, "spazio del .."
> appears to be a folder on your desktop, perhaps a widget.  What happens if
> you unlock widgets and <left><click> and hold the mouse depressed?  You
> should get a drop-down "menu" bar with option to remove widget, red circle
> containing an "x".
>
> ps: this was "deliberately" placed on your desktop.  perhaps accidentally
> but still, deliberately.
>
> and if the above supposition is correct about what you are calling a
> second "taskbar", it is not a taskbar.
>
> ps2: I have never seen your primary taskbar displayed in that manner, but
> I don't use leap (yet, next upgrade for my 13.1 server).

I point with the flash what the taskbar is.
No, it does not show this behavior.

http://paste.opensuse.org/39489518

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 20:56:11, stakanov ha scritto:

> > > Ok. I tried this.
> > >
> > > But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.
> >
> > can you first create an other task bar? I just solved some similar
> > problem like this
> >
> > jdd
>
> You mean I create a third one and then I try to get of the two superfluous?

I tried but it doesn't change. It actually looks like an "empty  bar". Only
placed on the bottom. But it has no removal or other menus.

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 15:11]:

> In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 15:00:37, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
> > * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:

> > > Ok. I tried this.
> > > No reaction of that "bar".
> > > When I kill it however the whole desktop goes down right away. To be able
> > > to start that user again, I have first to term with sigterm all processes
> > > open (only desktop went down so akonadi etc not). Then I have to kill a
> > > residual x- server.
> > > But that "bar" is present no matter what background etc.
> >
> > ok, I didn't look at the photo.  The ??second?? taskbar, "spazio del .."
> > appears to be a folder on your desktop, perhaps a widget.  What happens if
> > you unlock widgets and <left><click> and hold the mouse depressed?  You
> > should get a drop-down "menu" bar with option to remove widget, red circle
> > containing an "x".
> >
> > ps: this was "deliberately" placed on your desktop.  perhaps accidentally
> > but still, deliberately.
> >
> > and if the above supposition is correct about what you are calling a
> > second "taskbar", it is not a taskbar.
> >
> > ps2: I have never seen your primary taskbar displayed in that manner, but
> > I don't use leap (yet, next upgrade for my 13.1 server).
>

> I point with the flash what the taskbar is.
> No, it does not show this behavior.
>
> http://paste.opensuse.org/39489518

ah, sorry

dumb question, which is the first/primary taskbar, the vertically aligned
icons on the upper right?  if so, how did you get it away from the screen
edge?

i unlocked widgets, created a second taskbar, put at top of screen,
<rt><click> on THAT taskbar, selected "panel options" -> "panel settings",
"more settings" and the last menu entry on the popup "remove panel"

see screenshot: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~paka/Screenshot_20170108_153614.png

but I AM on tw.

In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 15:42:26, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 15:11]:
> > In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 15:00:37, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
> > > * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:

> > > ok, I didn't look at the photo.  The ??second?? taskbar, "spazio del .."
> > > appears to be a folder on your desktop, perhaps a widget.  What happens
> > > if
> > > you unlock widgets and <left><click> and hold the mouse depressed?  You
> > > should get a drop-down "menu" bar with option to remove widget, red
> > > circle
> > > containing an "x".
> > >
> > > ps: this was "deliberately" placed on your desktop.  perhaps
> > > accidentally
> > > but still, deliberately.
> > >
> > > and if the above supposition is correct about what you are calling a
> > > second "taskbar", it is not a taskbar.
> > >
> > > ps2: I have never seen your primary taskbar displayed in that manner,
> > > but
> > > I don't use leap (yet, next upgrade for my 13.1 server).
> >
> > I point with the flash what the taskbar is.
> > No, it does not show this behavior.
> >
> > http://paste.opensuse.org/39489518
>
> ah, sorry
>
> dumb question, which is the first/primary taskbar, the vertically aligned
> icons on the upper right?  if so, how did you get it away from the screen
> edge?
>
> i unlocked widgets, created a second taskbar, put at top of screen,
> <rt><click> on THAT taskbar, selected "panel options" -> "panel settings",
> "more settings" and the last menu entry on the popup "remove panel"
>
> see screenshot: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~paka/Screenshot_20170108_153614.png
>
> but I AM on tw.

The first taskbar is hidden. It has the normal menu entry. No problem.
It is this that is placed where I indicate that is anomalous.
I have the doubt that it is a bug and that the real screen is on a second
screen that is now not visible because only available in two screen mode.
Could it be that such a bar extends wrongly over two monitors?

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 15:51]:
> In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 15:42:26, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
 [....]

> > dumb question, which is the first/primary taskbar, the vertically aligned
> > icons on the upper right?  if so, how did you get it away from the screen
> > edge?
> >
> > i unlocked widgets, created a second taskbar, put at top of screen,
> > <rt><click> on THAT taskbar, selected "panel options" -> "panel settings",
> > "more settings" and the last menu entry on the popup "remove panel"
> >
> > see screenshot: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~paka/Screenshot_20170108_153614.png
> >
> > but I AM on tw.
>
> The first taskbar is hidden. It has the normal menu entry. No problem.
> It is this that is placed where I indicate that is anomalous.
> I have the doubt that it is a bug and that the real screen is on a second
> screen that is now not visible because only available in two screen mode.

you have a second screen?

> Could it be that such a bar extends wrongly over two monitors?

I have a second screen, 50 inch 4k tv, and the "primary" taskbar displays
correctly (imo) on both.  I created a second taskbar and it *only* appears
on one desktop (unexpected but understood).

but the added taskbar which is actually a "panel", can/could only be
controlled from the screen where it displayed.

you get no menu when trying to access the panel's settings?  note the
"taskbar manager settings" will not control the "added panel", it must be
accessed from the panel settings menu.

you might create a new user and see if the problems are there, then maybe
you have something borked in your desktop config.

In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 16:05:07, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 15:51]:
> > In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 15:42:26, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
>  [....]
>
> > > dumb question, which is the first/primary taskbar, the vertically
> > > aligned
> > > icons on the upper right?  if so, how did you get it away from the
> > > screen
> > > edge?
> > >
> > > i unlocked widgets, created a second taskbar, put at top of screen,
> > > <rt><click> on THAT taskbar, selected "panel options" -> "panel
> > > settings",
> > > "more settings" and the last menu entry on the popup "remove panel"
> > >
> > > see screenshot:
> > > http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~paka/Screenshot_20170108_153614.png
> > >
> > > but I AM on tw.
> >
> > The first taskbar is hidden. It has the normal menu entry. No problem.
> > It is this that is placed where I indicate that is anomalous.
> > I have the doubt that it is a bug and that the real screen is on a second
> > screen that is now not visible because only available in two screen mode.
>
> you have a second screen?
>
> > Could it be that such a bar extends wrongly over two monitors?
>
> I have a second screen, 50 inch 4k tv, and the "primary" taskbar displays
> correctly (imo) on both.  I created a second taskbar and it *only* appears
> on one desktop (unexpected but understood).
>
> but the added taskbar which is actually a "panel", can/could only be
> controlled from the screen where it displayed.
>
> you get no menu when trying to access the panel's settings?  note the
> "taskbar manager settings" will not control the "added panel", it must be
> accessed from the panel settings menu.
>
> you might create a new user and see if the problems are there, then maybe
> you have something borked in your desktop config.

New users are O.K. but what you say makes sense. With me, when using a
secondary screen it might be that I created a empty taksbar at the time and now
for some reasons it becomes visible. I will try to put the machine on a
dockingstation and to lite on a second monitor. So maybe I find a way to get rid
of it.

I think it could be that it gets visible because I migrated to 42.2 and back
to 42.1 due to the current Kmail / Akonadi problems. Maybe therefore, what was
seen at the time as secondary monitor now is seen as primary or vice versa.
Will try.

Re: Taskbar in KDE

John Andersen-2
On 01/08/2017 01:29 PM, stakanov wrote:

> New users are O.K. but what you say makes sense. With me, when using a
> secondary screen it might be that I created a empty taksbar at the time and now
> for some reasons it becomes visible. I will try to put the machine on a
> dockingstation and to lite on a second monitor. So maybe I find a way to get rid
> of it.
>
> I think it could be that it gets visible because I migrated to 42.2 and back
> to 42.1 due to the current Kmail / Akonadi problems. Maybe therefore, what was
> seen at the time as secondary monitor now is seen as primary or vice versa.
> Will try.

If all else fails, you can nuke ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
and log out and in again.  You will have the default task bar back minus any
configurations you had previously done.

Re: Taskbar in KDE

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 17:09:33, John Andersen ha scritto:

> On 01/08/2017 01:29 PM, stakanov wrote:
> > New users are O.K. but what you say makes sense. With me, when using a
> > secondary screen it might be that I created a empty taksbar at the time
> > and now for some reasons it becomes visible. I will try to put the
> > machine on a dockingstation and to lite on a second monitor. So maybe I
> > find a way to get rid of it.
> >
> > I think it could be that it gets visible because I migrated to 42.2 and
> > back to 42.1 due to the current Kmail / Akonadi problems. Maybe
> > therefore, what was seen at the time as secondary monitor now is seen as
> > primary or vice versa. Will try.
>
> If all else fails, you can nuke
> ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc and log out and in again.
>  You will have the default task bar back minus any configurations you had
> previously done.

No this is really curious and interesting. Today I wanted to look after the
second monitor issue. But the bar was gone! Now I thought: good, things that
go away without problems ....

But... Now it is in another user desktop!!! Outstanding. A useraccount
migrating bar? How is that? I think I am going to ask this question to KDE
directly because something that transcends the division of userlands is for me
worrisome.

Or is this an artefact of lightdm or the graphicsdriver and because I am not
using sddm any more? I doubt it.

Transcendence with Plasma. Have a dead bar hopping!
http://paste.opensuse.org/63379106

Re: Taskbar in KDE [SOLVED]

Stakanov Schufter
In data martedì 10 gennaio 2017 10:56:00, stakanov ha scritto:

> In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 17:09:33, John Andersen ha scritto:
> > On 01/08/2017 01:29 PM, stakanov wrote:
> > > New users are O.K. but what you say makes sense. With me, when using a
> > > secondary screen it might be that I created a empty taksbar at the time
> > > and now for some reasons it becomes visible. I will try to put the
> > > machine on a dockingstation and to lite on a second monitor. So maybe I
> > > find a way to get rid of it.
> > >
> > > I think it could be that it gets visible because I migrated to 42.2 and
> > > back to 42.1 due to the current Kmail / Akonadi problems. Maybe
> > > therefore, what was seen at the time as secondary monitor now is seen as
> > > primary or vice versa. Will try.
> >
> > If all else fails, you can nuke
> > ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc and log out and in
> > again.
> >
> >  You will have the default task bar back minus any configurations you had
> >
> > previously done.
>
> No this is really curious and interesting. Today I wanted to look after the
> second monitor issue. But the bar was gone! Now I thought: good, things that
> go away without problems ....
>

> But... Now it is in another user desktop!!! Outstanding. A useraccount
> migrating bar? How is that? I think I am going to ask this question to KDE
> directly because something that transcends the division of userlands is for
> me worrisome.
>
> Or is this an artefact of lightdm or the graphicsdriver and because I am not
> using sddm any more? I doubt it.
>
> Transcendence with Plasma. Have a dead bar hopping!
> http://paste.opensuse.org/63379106

OK, I solved the problem of the dead bar. And it goes like this:
Unblock the objects.
Shift the real taskbar to another Screen border (i.e. above). Below you will be
left now with the strange "blind bar".
Now ctrl-alt-esc for killing a program.
You put the cursor well upon the famous weird "blind bar". You kill.
The whole desktop comes down and you are left with black screen and a pointer.
Press ctrl-alt-del and the logout dialogue appears. Log out.
Log in again. The bar is gone. Now put the bar again in his position.
Lock the objects.

Now that has to be done to any preexisting user account one by one. On every
one you will have this problem and on every one this method works.
So I have my desktop back. Wonder what this thing actually was.
And thank you to everybody for the suggestions.