TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

Axel Braun-2
Hi,

I'm currently upgrading my travel-Laptop, ASUS eeePC 901, from TW 201702* to
the latest TW. Single root/home partition on ext4.

It has only a tiny SSD in, and during upgrade it fails with the message, that
' the installation of package x...needs 189 MB on the / file system'.

df -h shows 371 MB free space.

Looks like enough space.....so whats the point?
Any (hidden) files i should delete?

Thanks
Axel
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mercredi, 13 septembre 2017 21.20:28 h CEST Axel Braun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently upgrading my travel-Laptop, ASUS eeePC 901, from TW 201702* to
> the latest TW. Single root/home partition on ext4.
>
> It has only a tiny SSD in, and during upgrade it fails with the message,
> that ' the installation of package x...needs 189 MB on the / file system'.
>
> df -h shows 371 MB free space.
>
> Looks like enough space.....so whats the point?
> Any (hidden) files i should delete?
>
> Thanks
> Axel

zypper clean can help if you have too much keep package there
check also the number of kernel installed you have (especially kernel-source
or kernel-devel) then digging in /var/lib /var/log to check anything suspect.

Also with so less free space it could be a problem of free inodes

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 Bareos Partner, openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowship
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

Martin Herkt
In reply to this post by Axel Braun-2
On 2017 M09 13, Wed 21:20:28 CEST Axel Braun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently upgrading my travel-Laptop, ASUS eeePC 901, from TW 201702* to
> the latest TW. Single root/home partition on ext4.
>
> It has only a tiny SSD in, and during upgrade it fails with the message,
> that ' the installation of package x...needs 189 MB on the / file system'.
>
> df -h shows 371 MB free space.
>
> Looks like enough space.....so whats the point?
> Any (hidden) files i should delete?
>
> Thanks
> Axel

Maybe it needs 189 MiB *additional* space?

(Also, surprised you can still use this thing. I have an eeePC 900 and it’s
way too slow, the display resolution is too low, the keyboard is hard to type
on and its battery runtime is quite short… Not to mention it’s 32-bit and has
no SSE2. I don’t use it anymore. Moved on to better hardware.)

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

Axel Braun-2

Hi Bruno and Martin,

Am 14. September 2017 00:18:34 MESZ schrieb Martin Herkt <[hidden email]>:

>On 2017 M09 13, Wed 21:20:28 CEST Axel Braun wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently upgrading my travel-Laptop, ASUS eeePC 901, from TW
>201702* to
>> the latest TW. Single root/home partition on ext4.
>>
>> It has only a tiny SSD in, and during upgrade it fails with the
>message,
>> that ' the installation of package x...needs 189 MB on the / file
>system'.
>>
>> df -h shows 371 MB free space.
>>
>> Looks like enough space.....so whats the point?
>> Any (hidden) files i should delete?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Axel
>
>
>Maybe it needs 189 MiB *additional* space?

That's not what it says....
Actually I cleaned /tmp and /var/tmp, a reboot  (fingers crossed, worked) and installation went through. Now Rhee is 1.8G free space again

>(Also, surprised you can still use this thing. I have an eeePC 900 and
>it’s
>way too slow, the display resolution is too low, the keyboard is hard
>to type
>on and its battery runtime is quite short… Not to mention it’s 32-bit
>and has
>no SSE2. I don’t use it anymore. Moved on to better hardware.)

Well, I have it, and it serves the needs. So it's a matter of sustainability to not bin it as long as it works.
For watching a movie on the plane, checking weather and writing travel diary and mails it is ok. Resolution on a netbook was already to low when I bought it. But it still feels more responsive than the ThinkPad x230 on W7 I have to use at work
32bit support may really become a problem, indeed. Let's see how long it lasts.

Cheers
Axel
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

Felix Miata-3
In reply to this post by Axel Braun-2
Axel Braun composed on 2017-09-13 21:20 (UTC+0200):

> I'm currently upgrading my travel-Laptop, ASUS eeePC 901, from TW 201702* to
> the latest TW. Single root/home partition on ext4.

> It has only a tiny SSD in, and during upgrade it fails with the message, that
> ' the installation of package x...needs 189 MB on the / file system'.

> df -h shows 371 MB free space.

> Looks like enough space.....so whats the point?
> Any (hidden) files i should delete?

Is "package X" glibc-locale? If so, you are seeing an antique bug that plagues
me routinely:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=720150
--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW: Problem with disk space needed on installation

Axel Braun-2
Indeed, it is
Schöne Grüße
 Axel
--
Written from cell phone - excuses for typos

Am 14. September 2017 07:21:11 MESZ schrieb Felix Miata <[hidden email]>:

>Axel Braun composed on 2017-09-13 21:20 (UTC+0200):
>
>> I'm currently upgrading my travel-Laptop, ASUS eeePC 901, from TW
>201702* to
>> the latest TW. Single root/home partition on ext4.
>
>> It has only a tiny SSD in, and during upgrade it fails with the
>message, that
>> ' the installation of package x...needs 189 MB on the / file system'.
>
>> df -h shows 371 MB free space.
>
>> Looks like enough space.....so whats the point?
>> Any (hidden) files i should delete?
>
>Is "package X" glibc-locale? If so, you are seeing an antique bug that
>plagues
>me routinely:
>https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=720150
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]