TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Axel Braun-2
Hi,

I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.

When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-
NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400:
Command-line `mount -t "iso9660" -o
"uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500"
"/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"' exited with
non-zero exit status 32: mount: /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-
x86_6400: Wrong file system type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is
corrupted.

I can mount it manually:
mount -t "vfat" -o
"uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8" "/dev/sdb1" "/
mnt"

T520:/home/docb # fsck /dev/sdb1
fsck von util-linux 2.30
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
/dev/sdb1: 1 files, 0/61743 clusters

Parted gives:
Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1013MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  1013MB  1012MB  primary  fat16        type=06

My best guess is that KDE stores the Device ID, and based on this tries to
mount it as CD?

Any other ideas?

Cheers
Axel
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Andreas Schwab-2
On Jul 05 2017, Axel Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
> Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
>
> When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-
> NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
>
> Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400:
> Command-line `mount -t "iso9660" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500"
> "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"' exited with
> non-zero exit status 32: mount: /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-
> x86_6400: Wrong file system type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is
> corrupted.
>
> I can mount it manually:
> mount -t "vfat" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8" "/dev/sdb1" "/
> mnt"

What does file say about the contents?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Knurpht-openSUSE
In reply to this post by Axel Braun-2
Op woensdag 5 juli 2017 12:13:12 CEST schreef Axel Braun:

> Hi,
>
> I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
> Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
>
> When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-
> NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
>
> Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at
> /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400: Command-line `mount -t
> "iso9660" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmod
> e=0500" "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"'
> exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount:
> /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET- x86_6400: Wrong file system type,
> invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is corrupted.
>
> I can mount it manually:
> mount -t "vfat" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8" "/dev/sdb1"
> "/ mnt"
>
> T520:/home/docb # fsck /dev/sdb1
> fsck von util-linux 2.30
> fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
> /dev/sdb1: 1 files, 0/61743 clusters
>
> Parted gives:
> Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 1013MB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
>  1      1049kB  1013MB  1012MB  primary  fat16        type=06
>
> My best guess is that KDE stores the Device ID, and based on this tries to
> mount it as CD?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Cheers
> Axel

Probably due to remains of a hybrid filesystem. Try this:
destroy partition tables etc:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=100
where X is the alphabetic representing the USB stick.
Next create a new partition table and partition, and format with vfat.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Axel Braun-2
In reply to this post by Andreas Schwab-2
Am Mittwoch, 5. Juli 2017, 12:17:29 CEST schrieb Andreas Schwab:

> On Jul 05 2017, Axel Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
> > Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
> >
> > When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as
> > 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed- NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
> >
> > Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at
> > /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400: Command-line `mount -t
> > "iso9660" -o
> > "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dm
> > ode=0500" "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"'
> > exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount:
> > /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET- x86_6400: Wrong file system
> > type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is corrupted.
> >
> > I can mount it manually:
> > mount -t "vfat" -o
> > "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8" "/dev/sdb1"
> > "/ mnt"
>
> What does file say about the contents?

It shows correctly the three PDF that are on the stick

Cheers
Axel
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Andrei Borzenkov
In reply to this post by Axel Braun-2
05.07.2017 13:13, Axel Braun пишет:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
> Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
>
> When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-
> NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
>

How do you try to mount it?

> Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400:
> Command-line `mount -t "iso9660" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500"
> "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"' exited with
> non-zero exit status 32: mount: /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-
> x86_6400: Wrong file system type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is
> corrupted.
>

Well, the full device was indeed iso9660; it appears that whatever
attempts to mount it gets confused - it sees iso9660 label and applies
result of detection of full device to partition. So this is definitely a
bug.

> I can mount it manually:
> mount -t "vfat" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8" "/dev/sdb1" "/
> mnt"
>

So question remains - how do you tried to mount it without using "mount"
command?

> T520:/home/docb # fsck /dev/sdb1
> fsck von util-linux 2.30
> fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
> /dev/sdb1: 1 files, 0/61743 clusters
>
> Parted gives:

fdisk would be more useful as parted is too high level. But in principle
it is more or less clear. Could you show output of

wipefs /dev/sdb
wipefs /dev/sdb1

(it won't do anything, just show what signatures were detected; you
could use --no-act to be sure).
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Carlos E. R.-4
On 2017-07-05 19:16, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> 05.07.2017 13:13, Axel Braun пишет:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
>> Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
>>
>> When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-
>> NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
>>
>
> How do you try to mount it?
>
>> Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400:
>> Command-line `mount -t "iso9660" -o
>> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500"
>> "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"' exited with
>> non-zero exit status 32: mount: /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-
>> x86_6400: Wrong file system type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is
>> corrupted.
>>
>
> Well, the full device was indeed iso9660; it appears that whatever
> attempts to mount it gets confused - it sees iso9660 label and applies
> result of detection of full device to partition. So this is definitely a
> bug.
Known bug. There was a recent thread about it.

Bug 1046268 - USB Keys are mis-identified by device notifier

Bug 1046096 - Can't mount fat32 USB stick: issue on the partition table


--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Andrei Borzenkov
05.07.2017 20:58, Carlos E. R. пишет:
>
> Known bug. There was a recent thread about it.
>
> Bug 1046268 - USB Keys are mis-identified by device notifier
>
> Bug 1046096 - Can't mount fat32 USB stick: issue on the partition table
>
>

I cannot reproduce this behavior and neither of these bug reports
explains how to reproduce it. Someone needs to give exact steps starting
with known image. I tried with TW netinstall and I can normally mount
partition (although under wrong label, which is a bug, but with well
understood root cause).


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Pierre de Villemereuil
Hi Andrei,

Please explain what is missing from bug 1046096 to reproduce. You explained on bugzilla that you can't reproduce on XFCE for the part where the desktop can't mount. This was never reported: both bugs reported KDE/Plasma being unable to mount. I think it's reasonable to assume these desktop might have different ways to mount a device.

Cheers,
Pierre.

Le jeudi 6 juillet 2017, 16:36:10 NZST Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :

> 05.07.2017 20:58, Carlos E. R. пишет:
> >
> > Known bug. There was a recent thread about it.
> >
> > Bug 1046268 - USB Keys are mis-identified by device notifier
> >
> > Bug 1046096 - Can't mount fat32 USB stick: issue on the partition table
> >
> >
>
> I cannot reproduce this behavior and neither of these bug reports
> explains how to reproduce it. Someone needs to give exact steps starting
> with known image. I tried with TW netinstall and I can normally mount
> partition (although under wrong label, which is a bug, but with well
> understood root cause).
>

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Andrei Borzenkov
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Pierre de Villemereuil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> Please explain what is missing from bug 1046096 to reproduce. You explained on bugzilla that you can't reproduce on XFCE for the part where the desktop can't mount. This was never reported: both bugs reported KDE/Plasma being unable to mount. I think it's reasonable to assume these desktop might have different ways to mount a device.
>

This bug got reassigned to udisks because it was shown that udsisk
already has wrong filesystem type. Both KDE and XFCE (should) use
udisks as backend to discover and mount devices so should have the
same issue.

If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
this problem it would be good.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Axel Braun-2
Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2017, 08:38:06 CEST schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
> If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
> this problem it would be good.

An image of the questionable stick for example?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Andrei Borzenkov
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Axel Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2017, 08:38:06 CEST schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
>> If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
>> this problem it would be good.
>
> An image of the questionable stick for example?

Sure.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Pierre de Villemereuil
I have attached a dumpfile of the first sectors of a non working USB stick in my bug report, is that not something you could use?

You'll find it here:
https://bugzilla.suse.com/attachment.cgi?id=730322

Using the following command creates a problematic stick (just as reported in the bug reported) for me:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd if=dumpfile of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

The USB stick created like this cannot be mounted by KDE/Plasma, but can be mounted by "mount", is seen as a FAT32 by fdisk and as iso9660 by Gparted. I just tested it.

I don't think it can get more reproducible than that! ;)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Pierre.


Le jeudi 6 juillet 2017, 18:55:29 NZST Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Axel Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2017, 08:38:06 CEST schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
> >> If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
> >> this problem it would be good.
> >
> > An image of the questionable stick for example?
>
> Sure.
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Andrei Borzenkov
On 2017-07-06 08:38, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Pierre de Villemereuil <> wrote:
>> Hi Andrei,
>>
>> Please explain what is missing from bug 1046096 to reproduce. You explained on bugzilla that you can't reproduce on XFCE for the part where the desktop can't mount. This was never reported: both bugs reported KDE/Plasma being unable to mount. I think it's reasonable to assume these desktop might have different ways to mount a device.

Indeed, that bug has instructions:

Step to reproduce:
1- Download the Leap ISO, I used the NET install image from:
        https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap
2- Plug a USB key and copy the ISO on the USB key using:
        sudo dd
if=/home/pierre/Downloads/openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdc
bs=4M status=progress && sync
3- Unplug & Replug (probably not necessary...)
4- Open Gparted, remove partitions on the USB key (don't touch the
partition table!), create a new one in FAT32, put a label of your liking
(say "MYLABEL"). This was a bit brutal and not cautious, but it creates
roughly what you need, a formatted USB stick.


> This bug got reassigned to udisks because it was shown that udsisk
> already has wrong filesystem type. Both KDE and XFCE (should) use
> udisks as backend to discover and mount devices so should have the
> same issue.
>
> If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
> this problem it would be good.

On that same bug there is an attachment with what you request. At least
the start of the image, 10 MB.

If not, I can try create one and compress it, but I don't have a TW
install to check if it reproduces the issue.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Pierre de Villemereuil
> > This bug got reassigned to udisks because it was shown that udsisk
> > already has wrong filesystem type. Both KDE and XFCE (should) use
> > udisks as backend to discover and mount devices so should have the
> > same issue.
> >
> > If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
> > this problem it would be good.
>
> On that same bug there is an attachment with what you request. At least
> the start of the image, 10 MB.
>
> If not, I can try create one and compress it, but I don't have a TW
> install to check if it reproduces the issue.

It should. It does reproduce the issue on my computer anyway, as per my previous e-mail on this list.

Cheers,
Pierre.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-07-06 12:12, Pierre de Villemereuil wrote:

>>> This bug got reassigned to udisks because it was shown that udsisk
>>> already has wrong filesystem type. Both KDE and XFCE (should) use
>>> udisks as backend to discover and mount devices so should have the
>>> same issue.
>>>
>>> If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
>>> this problem it would be good.
>>
>> On that same bug there is an attachment with what you request. At least
>> the start of the image, 10 MB.
>>
>> If not, I can try create one and compress it, but I don't have a TW
>> install to check if it reproduces the issue.
>
> It should. It does reproduce the issue on my computer anyway, as per my previous e-mail on this list.
Yes, but I can not verify.

I don't know why vmware doesn't make visible to guests any of the sticks
I plug in :-(

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-07-06 11:49, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-07-06 08:38, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Pierre de Villemereuil <> wrote:
>>> Hi Andrei,
>>>
>>> Please explain what is missing from bug 1046096 to reproduce. You explained on bugzilla that you can't reproduce on XFCE for the part where the desktop can't mount. This was never reported: both bugs reported KDE/Plasma being unable to mount. I think it's reasonable to assume these desktop might have different ways to mount a device.
>
> Indeed, that bug has instructions:
>
> Step to reproduce:
> 1- Download the Leap ISO, I used the NET install image from:
>         https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap
> 2- Plug a USB key and copy the ISO on the USB key using:
>         sudo dd
> if=/home/pierre/Downloads/openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdc
> bs=4M status=progress && sync
> 3- Unplug & Replug (probably not necessary...)
> 4- Open Gparted, remove partitions on the USB key (don't touch the
> partition table!), create a new one in FAT32, put a label of your liking
> (say "MYLABEL"). This was a bit brutal and not cautious, but it creates
> roughly what you need, a formatted USB stick.
>
>
>> This bug got reassigned to udisks because it was shown that udsisk
>> already has wrong filesystem type. Both KDE and XFCE (should) use
>> udisks as backend to discover and mount devices so should have the
>> same issue.
>>
>> If someone could make available image of reasonable size that exhibits
>> this problem it would be good.
>
> On that same bug there is an attachment with what you request. At least
> the start of the image, 10 MB.
>
> If not, I can try create one and compress it, but I don't have a TW
> install to check if it reproduces the issue.
>
Telcontar:/data/storage_b/Isos/Leap/42.2 # dd if=openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sde bs=4M status=progress
23+1 records in
23+1 records out
99614720 bytes (100 MB, 95 MiB) copied, 11.8951 s, 8.4 MB/s
Telcontar:/data/storage_b/Isos/Leap/42.2 #
Telcontar:/data/storage_b/Isos/Leap/42.2 # cd
Telcontar:~ # lsblk --output NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT,HOTPLUG /dev/sde
NAME   KNAME  RA RM RO  SIZE TYPE FSTYPE  LABEL                            PARTLABEL MOUNTPOINT UUID                                 PARTUUID                             WWN MODEL            ALIGNMENT HOTPLUG
sde    sde   512  1  0  7.2G disk iso9660 openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64028                      2016-11-09-10-10-35-00                                                        TF10                     0       1
├─sde1 sde1  512  1  0  3.7M part vfat                                                          1E63-B137                            5d2e2084-01                                                       0       1
└─sde2 sde2  512  1  0 91.2M part iso9660 openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64028                      2016-11-09-10-10-35-00               5d2e2084-02                                                       0       1
Telcontar:~ # gparted /dev/sde
======================
libparted : 3.1
======================

(gpartedbin:14143): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory base/ of theme oxygen has no size field

Telcontar:~ # lsblk --output NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,WWN,MODEL,ALIGNMENT,HOTPLUG /dev/sde
NAME   KNAME  RA RM RO  SIZE TYPE FSTYPE  LABEL                            PARTLABEL MOUNTPOINT UUID                                 PARTUUID                             WWN MODEL            ALIGNMENT HOTPLUG
sde    sde   512  1  0  7.2G disk iso9660 openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64028                      2016-11-09-10-10-35-00                                                        TF10                     0       1
└─sde1 sde1  512  1  0  7.2G part vfat    BUG_1046096                                           A820-25B5                            5d2e2084-01                                                       0       1
Telcontar:~ # file -s /dev/sde
/dev/sde: DOS/MBR boot sector
Telcontar:~ # file -s /dev/sde1
/dev/sde1: DOS/MBR boot sector
Telcontar:~ #

Mounting via Thunar poses no problem:

Telcontar:~ # mount | grep sde
/dev/sde1 on /media/BUG_1046096 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
Telcontar:~ #

All that on Leap 42.
I'm trying to reproduce on a virtual machine with TW, but vmware doesn't make the stick visible to the guest, for some reason it refuses.
I tried with an NTFS stick, same thing: the virtual machine does not see it. That's some extra problem I did not expect.

Well, I have compressed the image and I can mail it to you, but I don't know if it reproduces the problem on TW or not.
[...]
The bzip2 compressed image has 4.3 GB, so impossible to email. Well, yes, split it in 10 MB chunks and email some hundreds of emails... (I have a script fro doing that). It is even to big for google drive.
Andrei, it would be best if you try to create it following the instructions on the bugzilla.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Michael Ströder
In reply to this post by Pierre de Villemereuil
Pierre de Villemereuil wrote:
> The USB stick created like this cannot be mounted by KDE/Plasma, but can be mounted by "mount", is seen as a FAT32 by fdisk and as iso9660 by Gparted. I just tested it.

After recent Tumbleweed update I run into this issue as well with two USB sticks formerly
used with installation image. The automounting feature (with XFCE) does not work. Also
removing all partition(s) with fdisk and adding/formatting new partition does not help.

Ciao, Michael.


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Andrei Borzenkov
In reply to this post by Axel Braun-2
05.07.2017 13:13, Axel Braun пишет:

> Hi,
>
> I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
> Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
>
> When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-
> NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
>
> Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400:
> Command-line `mount -t "iso9660" -o
> "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500"
> "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"' exited with
> non-zero exit status 32: mount: /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-
> x86_6400: Wrong file system type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is
> corrupted.
>

This is caused by
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-persistent-storage-compat.rules, specifically line

ENV{DEVTYPE}=="partition", IMPORT{parent}="ID_*"


Comment it out, it should fix things. You will still get wrong label
unless you set label on filesystem on partition explicitly, but
filesystem type should now be correct one.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TW 20170702: USB Stick mounted as CD

Axel Braun-2
Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2017, 19:21:02 CEST schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:

> 05.07.2017 13:13, Axel Braun пишет:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran into an interesting issue with a USB-Stick. It was used a Netinstall
> > Stick for Tumbleweed long time ago, in between it was formatted as VFAT.
> >
> > When I put it in and try to mount, it is recognized as
> > 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed- NET-x86_6400' (although it has a different name):
> >
> > Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at
> > /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400: Command-line `mount -t
> > "iso9660" -o
> > "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1001,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dm
> > ode=0500" "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_6400"'
> > exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount:
> > /run/media/docb/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET- x86_6400: Wrong file system
> > type, invalid option, or superblock of /dev/sdb1 is corrupted.
>
> This is caused by
> /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-persistent-storage-compat.rules, specifically line
>
> ENV{DEVTYPE}=="partition", IMPORT{parent}="ID_*"
>
>
> Comment it out, it should fix things. You will still get wrong label
> unless you set label on filesystem on partition explicitly, but
> filesystem type should now be correct one.

YES! That fixed it, thanks!

Axel
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]