Syncing RAZR cell phone

Jorge Fábregas-2
Hello everyone,

I have a Motorola RAZR cell phone (which is very common these days) and I
wanted to know what tools were out there to sync the phone with my Linux
desktop.

So far, I have installed "kmobiletools" to sync the address book (against my
KDE address book) and "moto4lin" to upload/download files from the phone
(audio files, images etc).  It seems I need to use a tool to sync the address
book and another tool to transfer pictures & music :(

What are you guys using? Anything better than the above apps?

Thanks!
Jorge

Re: Syncing RAZR cell phone

John Andersen
On Wednesday 31 January 2007, Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a Motorola RAZR cell phone (which is very common these days) and I
> wanted to know what tools were out there to sync the phone with my Linux
> desktop.
>
> So far, I have installed "kmobiletools" to sync the address book (against my
> KDE address book) and "moto4lin" to upload/download files from the phone
> (audio files, images etc).  It seems I need to use a tool to sync the address
> book and another tool to transfer pictures & music :(
>
> What are you guys using? Anything better than the above apps?
I found that I have better functionality with the blue tooth interface than
the hard wired one.

Pictures, sounds, and even using the phone as a modem work, but
the address book, and calendar are a bit more flaky under linux
if you ask me.

You can use sox (or other mp3 tools) to create rintones, and move
the onto or off of the phone, but be very careful when deleting any of
the supplied ringtones.  They are assigned to various callers and
ring styles via a number, and if you delete tones such that a number
no longer exists, (like say deleting tones 30 thru 35 when 34 is assigned
when your mom calls) then you can't even edit that entry in the
phone book till you add that many tones back on.  Pretty dumb.

There are tools out there for windows which let you hack the phone
in many ways, some good, some bad.  You can get it to record much
longer videos etc.

You may want to surf on over to the modomoders web site, but
its mostly windows stuff.

I am not aware of any unified software that does everything all in
one place, neither for windows or linux.  Even the Motorola software
does not allow access to most features the phone is capable of.

Recommend this page:
http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008782.html
Once you do most or some of his changes the phone actually
becomes much more user friendly.

The gmail for mobile and google maps work flawlessly.  We took
a driving trip thru the southwest last summer with nothing but
the Razr for guidance.  Google Map is awesome.  And its
not just for razrs.

--
John Andersen

Re: Syncing RAZR cell phone