Switching Weblate to protected mode

Javier Llorente-2
Hello there!

We [the long time Spanish translators] are suffering from having a Weblate
open to anyone with an openSUSE account. Translations are submitted without
any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and proofread
strings being overwritten.
Unfortunately, there is a Spanish translator doing that. For those interested
there is a message about it in opensuse-translation-es;
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation-es/2018-06/msg00000.html

Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
"protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.

Greetings,
--
Javier Llorente

Re: Switching Weblate to protected mode

Ioannes Andreas
El 10/06/18 a las 15:37, Javier Llorente escribió:

> Hello there!
>
> We [the long time Spanish translators] are suffering from having a Weblate
> open to anyone with an openSUSE account. Translations are submitted without
> any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and proofread
> strings being overwritten.
> Unfortunately, there is a Spanish translator doing that. For those interested
> there is a message about it in opensuse-translation-es;
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation-es/2018-06/msg00000.html
>
> Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
> "protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.
>
> Greetings,

Which translator?

Now, will a team with moderators or coordinators rule as I proposed before?

> El 10/06/18 a las 15:37, Javier Llorente escribió:
> > Hello there!
> >
> > We [the long time Spanish translators] are suffering from having a Weblate
> > open to anyone with an openSUSE account. Translations are submitted without
> > any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and proofread
> > strings being overwritten.
> > Unfortunately, there is a Spanish translator doing that. For those interested
> > there is a message about it in opensuse-translation-es;
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation-es/2018-06/msg00000.html
> >
> > Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
> > "protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.
> >
> > Greetings,
>
> Which translator?
>
> Now, will a team with moderators or coordinators rule as I proposed before?

Do you have any proposal how to approve translators, that they are allowed to translate in "protected" mode?
We are an open source project and everybody is allowed to contribute. So it is public.

We can review all and you can watch all changed things in Weblate in the History.
There is a button "Revert", if you have to watch impossible contributions.

You can discuss that on your mailinglist (like you are doing) then and if you don't watch any changes,
we should think about locking this contributor.
Can you give us his nickname, please?Then we can look after his contributions.

Best regards,
Sarah

Re: Switching Weblate to protected mode

Stephan Kulow-3
On 06/11/2018 07:40 AM, Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

> Do you have any proposal how to approve translators, that they are allowed to translate in "protected" mode?
> We are an open source project and everybody is allowed to contribute. So it is public.

Being allowed to contribute does not mean public. There are tons of
contributors to openSUSE or any other open source project - most do not
exclude a review process. Reviewing post-commit is a process much harder
to follow than pre-commit. For technical reasons and for moral reasons.

So if there is already a problem, let's switch. And preferably per
language - as there are language teams that are happy with every
contribution they can get and others who prefer a review.

Greetings, Stephan

El lunes, 11 de junio de 2018 3:15:37 (CEST) Ioannes Andreas escribió:

> El 10/06/18 a las 15:37, Javier Llorente escribió:
> > Hello there!
> >
> > We [the long time Spanish translators] are suffering from having a Weblate
> > open to anyone with an openSUSE account. Translations are submitted
> > without
> > any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and
> > proofread strings being overwritten.
> > Unfortunately, there is a Spanish translator doing that. For those
> > interested there is a message about it in opensuse-translation-es;
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation-es/2018-06/msg00000.html
> >
> > Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
> > "protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.
> >
> > Greetings,
>
> Which translator?
I don't think it's a good idea to make it public.

> Now, will a team with moderators or coordinators rule as I proposed before?
We will continue to work as before. No coordinators atm.

Greetings,

El lunes, 11 de junio de 2018 7:40:37 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:

> > Gesendet: Montag, 11. Juni 2018 um 03:15 Uhr
> > Von: "Ioannes Andreas" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Switching Weblate to protected mode
> >
> > El 10/06/18 a las 15:37, Javier Llorente escribió:
> > > Hello there!
> > >
> > > We [the long time Spanish translators] are suffering from having a
> > > Weblate
> > > open to anyone with an openSUSE account. Translations are submitted
> > > without
> > > any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and
> > > proofread strings being overwritten.
> > > Unfortunately, there is a Spanish translator doing that. For those
> > > interested there is a message about it in opensuse-translation-es;
> > > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation-es/2018-06/msg00000.html
> > >
> > > Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
> > > "protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> >
> > Which translator?
> >
> > Now, will a team with moderators or coordinators rule as I proposed
> > before?
>
> Do you have any proposal how to approve translators, that they are allowed
> to translate in "protected" mode? We are an open source project and
> everybody is allowed to contribute. So it is public.
Well, we could make translators/reviewers to long-time translators. I suggest
jcsl, victorhck and myself. I have already talked with them and we all agree
on this change; making Weblate protected and privileges given.
Being admins as well for Spanish (to make give others privileges in the
future) would also be helpful.
Anyone can contribute, but not all can write. Meritocracy :-)

> We can review all and you can watch all changed things in Weblate in the
> History. There is a button "Revert", if you have to watch impossible
> contributions.

I agree with Stephan. It's more work to revert changes than to review them.

> You can discuss that on your mailinglist (like you are doing) then and if
> you don't watch any changes, we should think about locking this
> contributor.

We don't know if that person is subscribed to our mailing list (opensuse-
translation-es). Anyways, jcsl has sent an email to that list describing what
it has happened and suggestions to improve the translation process.

> Can you give us his nickname, please?Then we can look after his
> contributions.

I will, but privately.

Greetings,

El lunes, 11 de junio de 2018 8:34:36 (CEST) Stephan Kulow escribió:
> On 06/11/2018 07:40 AM, Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:
> > Do you have any proposal how to approve translators, that they are allowed
> > to translate in "protected" mode? We are an open source project and
> > everybody is allowed to contribute. So it is public.
> Being allowed to contribute does not mean public. There are tons of
> contributors to openSUSE or any other open source project - most do not
> exclude a review process. Reviewing post-commit is a process much harder
> to follow than pre-commit. For technical reasons and for moral reasons.

Well explained. Meritocracy :-)

> So if there is already a problem, let's switch. And preferably per
> language - as there are language teams that are happy with every
> contribution they can get and others who prefer a review.

It's sensible. Jcsl, victorhck and I agree on this change (open→protected).
So, let's switch Spanish.

Greetings,

El 11/06/18 a las 15:53, Javier Llorente escribió:

> El lunes, 11 de junio de 2018 7:40:37 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
>>> Gesendet: Montag, 11. Juni 2018 um 03:15 Uhr
>>> Von: "Ioannes Andreas" <[hidden email]>
>>> An: [hidden email]
>>> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Switching Weblate to protected mode

>>> Which translator?
>>>
>>> Now, will a team with moderators or coordinators rule as I proposed
>>> before?
>> Do you have any proposal how to approve translators, that they are allowed
>> to translate in "protected" mode? We are an open source project and
>> everybody is allowed to contribute. So it is public.
> Well, we could make translators/reviewers to long-time translators. I suggest
> jcsl, victorhck and myself. I have already talked with them and we all agree
> on this change; making Weblate protected and privileges given.
> Being admins as well for Spanish (to make give others privileges in the
> future) would also be helpful.
> Anyone can contribute, but not all can write. Meritocracy :-)
>
>> We can review all and you can watch all changed things in Weblate in the
>> History. There is a button "Revert", if you have to watch impossible
>> contributions.
> I agree with Stephan. It's more work to revert changes than to review them.
>
>> You can discuss that on your mailinglist (like you are doing) then and if
>> you don't watch any changes, we should think about locking this
>> contributor.
> We don't know if that person is subscribed to our mailing list (opensuse-
> translation-es). Anyways, jcsl has sent an email to that list describing what
> it has happened and suggestions to improve the translation process.
>
>> Can you give us his nickname, please?Then we can look after his
>> contributions.
> I will, but privately.
>
> Greetings,

You are asking for "privileges" of control (protected mode), what does
that mean then? The funny thing is that, if it were not for that
"translator", they would not pay attention to the modules completely
forgotten in their translation as "yast-fonts" for example.

Re: Switching Weblate to protected mode

Karl Ove Hufthammer
Javier Llorente skreiv 10. juni 2018 22:37:
> Translations are submitted without
> any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and proofread
> strings being overwritten.
>
> […]
>
> Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
> "protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.
I strongly agree. It is customary in free software projects to have
translation *teams* that are responsible for maintaining the
translations. If anyone can edit the translations, this encourages
so-called ‘drive-by translation’, which in the past has been shown to
*really* bad for the quality of the translations – and very demotivating
for the actual translation teams.

BTW, this is also the way commiting code works in free software project.
One doesn’t let anyone commit code directly to the Git repositories.
There’s no reason translation contributions should work differently.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer