Switch from intel to modesetting with xserver 1.19 in Tumbleweed?

Switch from intel to modesetting with xserver 1.19 in Tumbleweed?

tomtomme
Dear List,
in the news yesterday is Fedora Rawhide switching to the generic
modesetting driver in favor of intels DDX [1].
Modesetting is said to be more stable, while 2D performance compared to
glamor is worse in few areas [2].
There was also no official intel-DDX release in 2 years, no stable one
in 3 years.
Ubuntu 16.10 and Debian Unstable (July 2016) also did the switch for
Intel "Gen4" hardware and newer (anything past the i965GM era) [3]

As xserver 1.19 is still baking for tumbleweed - are there plans that we
also make the switch when it lands?

Cheers, Thomas

[1]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-Xorg-Intel-DDX-Switch
[2]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-modesetting-2017&num=1
[3]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX

Re: Switch from intel to modesetting with xserver 1.19 in Tumbleweed?

Takashi Iwai
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:40:25 +0100,
tomtomme wrote:

> Dear List,
> in the news yesterday is Fedora Rawhide switching to the generic
> modesetting driver in favor of intels DDX [1].
> Modesetting is said to be more stable, while 2D performance compared
> to glamor is worse in few areas [2].
> There was also no official intel-DDX release in 2 years, no stable one
> in 3 years.
> Ubuntu 16.10 and Debian Unstable (July 2016) also did the switch for
> Intel "Gen4" hardware and newer (anything past the i965GM era) [3]
>
> As xserver 1.19 is still baking for tumbleweed - are there plans that
> we also make the switch when it lands?

FWIW, modesetting is used already for Intel Skylake and newer, but
yes, we discussed it locally (even today) and agreed with going
forward to this way.  Stefan, could you clarify your grand-plan?

thanks,

Takashi

Re: Switch from intel to modesetting with xserver 1.19 in Tumbleweed?

jcsl
Hi.

El miércoles, 11 de enero de 2017 18:40:25 (CET) tomtomme escribió:

> Dear List,
> in the news yesterday is Fedora Rawhide switching to the generic
> modesetting driver in favor of intels DDX [1].
> Modesetting is said to be more stable, while 2D performance compared to
> glamor is worse in few areas [2].
> There was also no official intel-DDX release in 2 years, no stable one
> in 3 years.
> Ubuntu 16.10 and Debian Unstable (July 2016) also did the switch for
> Intel "Gen4" hardware and newer (anything past the i965GM era) [3]
>
> As xserver 1.19 is still baking for tumbleweed - are there plans that we
> also make the switch when it lands?
>
> Cheers, Thomas
>
> [1]
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-Xorg-Intel-DDX-Swi
> tch [2]
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-modesetting-2017&nu
> m=1 [3]
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Int
> el-DDX

Will the current driver be available? I have an Intel Atom Processor N450
based (GMA 3150) netbook that IIRC doesn't support modesetting + glamor fails
because the graphics card doesn't have enough of something I don't remember
right now. I don't remember either if it worked without glamor, but I think
that if it did it was very slow. I know that my description of the problem is
very imprecise, but the point is that modesetting is a no go on my netbook.

Greetings.

Re: Switch from intel to modesetting with xserver 1.19 in Tumbleweed?

Tyler-40
The only thing that should be changing is that the modesetting driver
will be enabled by default.  If desired or necessary, you will still be
able to configure the intel DDX to be used instead, via a snippet file
(/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/) or full-blown xorg.conf.

This should not affect installation either, as good ol' fbdev has got
your back.

Re: Switch from intel to modesetting with xserver 1.19 in Tumbleweed?

Felix Miata-3
Tyler composed on 2017-01-12 01:05 (UTC-0500):

> The only thing that should be changing is that the modesetting driver
> will be enabled by default.  If desired or necessary, you will still be
> able to configure the intel DDX to be used instead, via a snippet file
> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/) or full-blown xorg.conf.

> This should not affect installation either, as good ol' fbdev has got
> your back.

For those for whom modesetting is not enabled by default, switching to it can be
as simple zypper rm xf86-video-intel, if the "gfxchip" version is not too old,
around 2007 or so and older. IIRC it works as far back as Eaglelake (x41) but
not Bearlake (x33). This is true all the way back into 13.2, as long is its
separate xf86-video-modesetting rpm is installed. It's also true for gfxchips
running nouveau and radeon made about the same point in time.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/