Suspend issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suspend issue

Bugzilla from jc@phocean.net

Hi,

I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop and use the Nvidia graphic driver.
I think this configuration is pretty common.

However, resuming after suspending to RAM randomly hang on a blank screen.
Sometimes, it finally resumes after minutes, and sometimes I have to cold
reboot.

I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else have
the same laptop here ?

Best Regards.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Wendell Nichols
I have this exact issue.  I can make suspend to disk work, but suspend
to ram goes into lala land.  I've been meaning to put some time into it
(maybe this weekend since I'll be traveling) but if there are a few T61p
users out there who want to tackle it together that would be great.
I find suspend to disk to be only useful if I have an application that
takes a long time to startup (like my mainframe emulator).  Its actually
quicker to shutdown and reboot than to suspend to disk and resume.
However, from the little I've been able to see of it, suspend to ram is
very fast.  I just can't get the computer to come out of it.
First thing I'd like to know is, how to I enable some sort of verbose
logging of the suspend process?  I don't think the machine is getting
properly suspended and there is no record of why.

wcn

p.s.   Once properly resolved we should update the thinkwiki site.


Jean-Christophe Baptiste wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop and use the Nvidia graphic driver.
> I think this configuration is pretty common.
>
> However, resuming after suspending to RAM randomly hang on a blank screen.
> Sometimes, it finally resumes after minutes, and sometimes I have to cold
> reboot.
>
> I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else have
> the same laptop here ?
>
> Best Regards.
>  
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Manne Merak
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from jc@phocean.net
Jean-Christophe Baptiste wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop and use the Nvidia graphic driver.
> I think this configuration is pretty common.
>
> However, resuming after suspending to RAM randomly hang on a blank screen.
> Sometimes, it finally resumes after minutes, and sometimes I have to cold
> reboot.
>
> I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else have
> the same laptop here ?
>
> Best Regards.
>  
Check the /var/log/pm-suspend.log file when it fails.  If you are lucky
it will show you the cause.
Also check out
http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

For my Dell Vostro with NVIDIA I had to add the following files.

cat /etc/pm/config.d/nvidia
DISPLAY_QUIRK_VBE_POST=false
               &
cat /etc/pm/config.d/s2ram
S2RAM_OPTS="-f --acpi_sleep 1

Your mileage may vary (try modifying the acpi_sleep value)

Manne
ps. I have this working, but every now and then (every 30 times) it just
reboots (as if it was not set to resume the suspend)?


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Wendell Nichols
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



On Friday, 2008-12-05 at 08:50 -0700, Wendell Nichols wrote:

> I find suspend to disk to be only useful if I have an application that
> takes a long time to startup (like my mainframe emulator).  Its actually
> quicker to shutdown and reboot than to suspend to disk and resume.

In my case, suspend to disk and resume is several times faster than halt
and reboot - specially considering the time to log in kde or gnome and
open apps.

> However, from the little I've been able to see of it, suspend to ram is
> very fast.  I just can't get the computer to come out of it.
> First thing I'd like to know is, how to I enable some sort of verbose
> logging of the suspend process?

/etc/suspend.conf

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEUEARECAAYFAkk5iTQACgkQtTMYHG2NR9VdxwCfW+5b7+0rL1ZiqCyNsK5vdF3/
rFwAmJU4GlgBzAEuVB3ZzWBxGxWUoz8=
=2tIf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Bugzilla from jc@phocean.net
In reply to this post by Manne Merak
Le vendredi 05 décembre 2008 à 19:12 +0200, Manne Merak a écrit :

> Jean-Christophe Baptiste wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop and use the Nvidia graphic driver.
> > I think this configuration is pretty common.
> >
> > However, resuming after suspending to RAM randomly hang on a blank screen.
> > Sometimes, it finally resumes after minutes, and sometimes I have to cold
> > reboot.
> >
> > I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else have
> > the same laptop here ?
> >
> > Best Regards.
> >  
> Check the /var/log/pm-suspend.log file when it fails.  If you are lucky
> it will show you the cause.
> Also check out
> http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
>
> For my Dell Vostro with NVIDIA I had to add the following files.
>
> cat /etc/pm/config.d/nvidia
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_VBE_POST=false
>                &
> cat /etc/pm/config.d/s2ram
> S2RAM_OPTS="-f --acpi_sleep 1
>
> Your mileage may vary (try modifying the acpi_sleep value)
>
> Manne
> ps. I have this working, but every now and then (every 30 times) it just
> reboots (as if it was not set to resume the suspend)?
>
>
I tried your tweaks and other combinations, but no luck.

In the log file, the only noticeable message is :


===== 2008-12-05 20:06:13.197708442 running
hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager =====
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

I am not sure this is the cause of the hang. Maybe it comes from hal and
its quirks ?

Strangely, when I used Debian on this machine before switching to Suse,
I did not have this issue.

So, there must be a way...

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Bugzilla from jc@phocean.net
Well, I might have found the culprit : an outdated fdi file in hal.

It is all explained there :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal-info/+bug/235284

The patch there did not work for me as it is, so I
edited /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-lenovo.fdi manually.
Anyway the bug reporter has a 6460 model whereas mine is a 7664 one.

What I did :

1 - backup the file

2 - remove all occurrence of 7664 in the file
(prefix_outof="...;7664;...")

3 - add these lines at the end :

<match key="system.hardware.product" prefix_outof="7664">
        <merge key="power_management.quirk.s3_bios"
type="bool">false</merge>
        <merge key="power_management.quirk.vbemode_restore"
type="bool">true</merge>
</match>

4 - restart hal : "/etc/init.d/haldaemon restart"

5 - test suspend to RAM

I did not change ANY other of the default settings.

If your test is conclusive, I guess it is better to copy the new file in
"/etc/hal/fdi/information", so that it doesn't get overwritten by a
future update.

I hope this will help. Let me know how it goes for you.

JC

Le vendredi 05 décembre 2008 à 22:36 +0100, Jean-Christophe Baptiste a
écrit :

> Le vendredi 05 décembre 2008 à 19:12 +0200, Manne Merak a écrit :
> > Jean-Christophe Baptiste wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop and use the Nvidia graphic driver.
> > > I think this configuration is pretty common.
> > >
> > > However, resuming after suspending to RAM randomly hang on a blank screen.
> > > Sometimes, it finally resumes after minutes, and sometimes I have to cold
> > > reboot.
> > >
> > > I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else have
> > > the same laptop here ?
> > >
> > > Best Regards.
> > >  
> > Check the /var/log/pm-suspend.log file when it fails.  If you are lucky
> > it will show you the cause.
> > Also check out
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
> >
> > For my Dell Vostro with NVIDIA I had to add the following files.
> >
> > cat /etc/pm/config.d/nvidia
> > DISPLAY_QUIRK_VBE_POST=false
> >                &
> > cat /etc/pm/config.d/s2ram
> > S2RAM_OPTS="-f --acpi_sleep 1
> >
> > Your mileage may vary (try modifying the acpi_sleep value)
> >
> > Manne
> > ps. I have this working, but every now and then (every 30 times) it just
> > reboots (as if it was not set to resume the suspend)?
> >
> >
>
> I tried your tweaks and other combinations, but no luck.
>
> In the log file, the only noticeable message is :
>
> 
> ===== 2008-12-05 20:06:13.197708442 running
> hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager =====
> Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
> Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
> the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
> expired, or the network connection was broken.
>
> I am not sure this is the cause of the hang. Maybe it comes from hal and
> its quirks ?
>
> Strangely, when I used Debian on this machine before switching to Suse,
> I did not have this issue.
>
> So, there must be a way...

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Bugzilla from Ben.Kevan@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from jc@phocean.net
On Friday 05 December 2008 01:36:32 pm Jean-Christophe Baptiste wrote:

> Le vendredi 05 décembre 2008 à 19:12 +0200, Manne Merak a écrit :
> > Jean-Christophe Baptiste wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Thinkpad T61 laptop and use the Nvidia graphic driver.
> > > I think this configuration is pretty common.
> > >
> > > However, resuming after suspending to RAM randomly hang on a blank
> > > screen. Sometimes, it finally resumes after minutes, and sometimes I
> > > have to cold reboot.
> > >
> > > I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else
> > > have the same laptop here ?
> > >
> > > Best Regards.
> >
> > Check the /var/log/pm-suspend.log file when it fails.  If you are lucky
> > it will show you the cause.
> > Also check out
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
> >
> > For my Dell Vostro with NVIDIA I had to add the following files.
> >
> > cat /etc/pm/config.d/nvidia
> > DISPLAY_QUIRK_VBE_POST=false
> >                &
> > cat /etc/pm/config.d/s2ram
> > S2RAM_OPTS="-f --acpi_sleep 1
> >
> > Your mileage may vary (try modifying the acpi_sleep value)
> >
> > Manne
> > ps. I have this working, but every now and then (every 30 times) it just
> > reboots (as if it was not set to resume the suspend)?
>
> I tried your tweaks and other combinations, but no luck.
>
> In the log file, the only noticeable message is :
>
> 
> ===== 2008-12-05 20:06:13.197708442 running
> hook: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager =====
> Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
> Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
> the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
> expired, or the network connection was broken.
>
> I am not sure this is the cause of the hang. Maybe it comes from hal and
> its quirks ?
>
> Strangely, when I used Debian on this machine before switching to Suse,
> I did not have this issue.
>
> So, there must be a way...

Jean,

What version of OS are you running?

Try:

add the following:
blacklist intel_agp
to /etc/modproble.conf.local

If you're running PRE 11.1 then you'll have to:

Created a file (you can name whatever you want, I named s2ram.config)
in /etc/pm/config.d/ which had an option that i needed (i knew I needed after
testing with command line s2ram) to make resume work correctly:
S2RAM_OPTS=”-f”
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspend issue

Frank Seidel-2
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from jc@phocean.net
Jean-Christophe Baptiste schrieb:
> I could not find the exact issue reported on the net. Does anyone else have
> the same laptop here ?

If you've openSUSE 11.0 installed, maybe you're also hitting
bug #439461
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id?439461

Greetings,
Frank
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]