Support for RHEL 7.1 ppc64LE platform

Priya Seth
 Hi All,

I am new to the openSUSE:BuildService at , so please excuse me if my
questions are too basic.

I was referring to the information at:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets

and it seems that RHEL 7.1 on ppc64le is currently not a supported by
this service. Do we have any plans of supporting this in the near
future?

I was also trying to build a package (nginx) on Ubuntu 14.04 ppc64le
but the status is shown as "Excluded". Looks like there are no rules
to build a debian package. I tried uploading a source package for
nginx along with it .deb file in my project area and could build that
successfully, but had to build the upload and build the missing
dependencies recursively as well.

Is there any specific repository of packages that have been
tried/built on ppc64LE Ubuntu 14.04? Or would a package need to be
built from scratch along with all its dependencies (recursively?)?  Is
there any document that can help understanding this?

Any help/pointers on this would be of great help.

Thanks!

Re: Support for RHEL 7.1 ppc64LE platform

Dinar Valeev
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Priya Seth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Hi All,

Hi,
> I am new to the openSUSE:BuildService at , so please excuse me if my
> questions are too basic.
>
> I was referring to the information at:
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets
>
> and it seems that RHEL 7.1 on ppc64le is currently not a supported by
> this service. Do we have any plans of supporting this in the near
> future?
Binaries are not imported as far I can see. Neither 7.1.

Adrian, are there any plans to import 7.1?

> I was also trying to build a package (nginx) on Ubuntu 14.04 ppc64le
> but the status is shown as "Excluded". Looks like there are no rules
> to build a debian package. I tried uploading a source package for
> nginx along with it .deb file in my project area and could build that
> successfully, but had to build the upload and build the missing
> dependencies recursively as well.
>
> Is there any specific repository of packages that have been
> tried/built on ppc64LE Ubuntu 14.04? Or would a package need to be
> built from scratch along with all its dependencies (recursively?)?  Is
> there any document that can help understanding this?
Could you please provide project/package so I can see your
package/repository setup.
So far that works for me:
  <repository name="u">
    <path project="Ubuntu:14.04" repository="standard"/>
    <arch>ppc64le</arch>
  </repository>

Along with rpm spec file you need to have foo.dsc describing how to
build deb packages

> Any help/pointers on this would be of great help.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Support for RHEL 7.1 ppc64LE platform

Priya Seth
Thanks, Dinar for your response and apologies for the late reply.

I am looking at the wordpress project as an example:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:priya_seth:wordpress
I have added the dsc file for wordpress to my project space, but looks
like I have to do the same recursively for all its dependencies and
sub-dependencies. Is that understanding correct?
I noticed that most of the packages / repositories have the rpm spec
files, but not the .dsc files for debian distributions. So, every time
I have to build an Ubuntu package, I would need to add the .dsc file,
even if it is the base version of the package which is already in the
distro (with no additional porting changes). Is that correct?

Thanks for your help with this.
Regards,
Priya

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Priya Seth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, Dinar for your response and apologies for the late reply.
>
> I am looking at the wordpress project as an example:
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:priya_seth:wordpress
> I have added the dsc file for wordpress to my project space, but looks
> like I have to do the same recursively for all its dependencies and
> sub-dependencies. Is that understanding correct?
If imported distro have binaries, then you don't need to rebuild them.
If you have dependency which is not part of a distro,
you should rebuild or provide additional project path where binaries
could be found.
> I noticed that most of the packages / repositories have the rpm spec
> files, but not the .dsc files for debian distributions. So, every time
> I have to build an Ubuntu package, I would need to add the .dsc file,
> even if it is the base version of the package which is already in the
> distro (with no additional porting changes). Is that correct?
So you're pulling sources somewhere from OBS project? Well, it is up
to project maintainer for what distro he wants to
provide binaries.

If imported distro have binary, it is used a build dependency.

I don't understand you here. You want a build dependency which is part
of a distro,but it doesn't have dsc file?

Dinar,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Priya Seth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your response Dinar.
> Let me try to summarize, what I understand here, if I am pulling the
> sources from a repository somewhere on OBS project and the source does
> not have a .dsc file, I will have to provide it. I would have to do
> the same for all dependencies-sub-dependencies recursively if they are
> not available there, as well? i.e. if I fail to find additional
> project paths where this binary / dependency has already been built.
> If a package is already part of distro, then its binary would already
> be available on OBS.
Hi,

It is simply like this:
If distro is imported: then you have binaries to build against.
if you build a new package with a dependency which is not part of a
distro, then you have
to provide dependent binary first.

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Dinar Valeev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Priya Seth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks, Dinar for your response and apologies for the late reply.
>>>
>>> I am looking at the wordpress project as an example:
>>> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:priya_seth:wordpress
>>> I have added the dsc file for wordpress to my project space, but looks
>>> like I have to do the same recursively for all its dependencies and
>>> sub-dependencies. Is that understanding correct?
>> If imported distro have binaries, then you don't need to rebuild them.
>> If you have dependency which is not part of a distro,
>> you should rebuild or provide additional project path where binaries
>> could be found.
>>> I noticed that most of the packages / repositories have the rpm spec
>>> files, but not the .dsc files for debian distributions. So, every time
>>> I have to build an Ubuntu package, I would need to add the .dsc file,
>>> even if it is the base version of the package which is already in the
>>> distro (with no additional porting changes). Is that correct?
>> So you're pulling sources somewhere from OBS project? Well, it is up
>> to project maintainer for what distro he wants to
>> provide binaries.
>>
>> If imported distro have binary, it is used a build dependency.
>>
>> I don't understand you here. You want a build dependency which is part
>> of a distro,but it doesn't have dsc file?
>>
>> Dinar,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help with this.
>>> Regards,
>>> Priya

Re: Support for RHEL 7.1 ppc64LE platform

Priya Seth
 Ok. Thanks a lot, Dinar. I think I understand now.
Regards,
Priya