Substitute for sddm

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Substitute for sddm

Stakanov Schufter
What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No network
functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser mode) is needed.
What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

jdd@dodin.org
Le 07/01/2017 à 11:46, stakanov a écrit :
> What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No network
> functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser mode) is needed.
> What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
> Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
>
>
>
xdm?

jdd

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Stakanov Schufter
In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 11:47:19, jdd ha scritto:
> Le 07/01/2017 à 11:46, stakanov a écrit :
> > What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No
> > network functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser
> > mode) is needed. What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
> > Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
>
> xdm?
>
> jdd
Does the change require any special setup or I do this from yast?
In case it should not work, can I maintain the sddm packages, in parallel,
present until I know that there is no problem? Or are they mutually exclusive?
I  believe recall that I can install multiple loginmanager and set the value in
yast by specifying which to use?



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-07-17 06:01]:

> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 11:47:19, jdd ha scritto:
> > Le 07/01/2017 à 11:46, stakanov a écrit :
> > > What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No
> > > network functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser
> > > mode) is needed. What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
> > > Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
> >
> > xdm?
> >
> > jdd
> Does the change require any special setup or I do this from yast?
> In case it should not work, can I maintain the sddm packages, in parallel,
> present until I know that there is no problem? Or are they mutually exclusive?
> I  believe recall that I can install multiple loginmanager and set the value in
> yast by specifying which to use?

my tw has kdm,xdm,gdm,wdm,entrance,console,lightdm,and sddm offered in
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"

editing that from a text console should provide what you ask.  I believe
that is all "systemsettings[4,5] does.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535                    
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

John Andersen-2
In reply to this post by Stakanov Schufter
On 01/07/2017 02:46 AM, stakanov wrote:
> What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No network
> functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser mode) is needed.
> What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
> Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
>
>
>

I've used lightdm on several machines because sddm had some bugs, which are
mostly solved now, but also because its huge, bloated, and unnecessary.

Install lightdm   (your usual method)

systemctl enable lightm.service
systemctl disable sddm.service

Best to reboot here, but you can also try
systemctl stop sddm.service
systemctl start lightdm.service



--
After all is said and done, more is said than done.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Stakanov Schufter
In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 12:04:53, John Andersen ha scritto:

> On 01/07/2017 02:46 AM, stakanov wrote:
> > What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No
> > network functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser
> > mode) is needed. What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
> > Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
>
> I've used lightdm on several machines because sddm had some bugs, which are
> mostly solved now, but also because its huge, bloated, and unnecessary.
>
> Install lightdm   (your usual method)
>
> systemctl enable lightm.service
> systemctl disable sddm.service
>
> Best to reboot here, but you can also try
> systemctl stop sddm.service
> systemctl start lightdm.service
Having it running right now. Up to now I am quite delighted.
Thank you.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Richmond
In reply to this post by John Andersen-2
John Andersen wrote:

> On 01/07/2017 02:46 AM, stakanov wrote:
>> What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No network
>> functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser mode) is needed.
>> What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
>> Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
>>
>>
>>
> I've used lightdm on several machines because sddm had some bugs, which are
> mostly solved now, but also because its huge, bloated, and unnecessary.
>
> Install lightdm   (your usual method)
>
> systemctl enable lightm.service
> systemctl disable sddm.service
>
> Best to reboot here, but you can also try
> systemctl stop sddm.service
> systemctl start lightdm.service
>
>
>
I use yast2 sysconfig to change the default display manager and window
manager. Does it do the same thing I wonder? And then systemctl rescue,
systemctl default to get it working.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Wol's lists
In reply to this post by Patrick Shanahan-2
On 07/01/17 13:26, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-07-17 06:01]:
>> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 11:47:19, jdd ha scritto:
>>> Le 07/01/2017 à 11:46, stakanov a écrit :
>>>> What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No
>>>> network functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser
>>>> mode) is needed. What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
>>>> Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
>>>
>>> xdm?
>>>
>>> jdd
>> Does the change require any special setup or I do this from yast?
>> In case it should not work, can I maintain the sddm packages, in parallel,
>> present until I know that there is no problem? Or are they mutually exclusive?
>> I  believe recall that I can install multiple loginmanager and set the value in
>> yast by specifying which to use?
>
> my tw has kdm,xdm,gdm,wdm,entrance,console,lightdm,and sddm offered in
> /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
>
> editing that from a text console should provide what you ask.  I believe
> that is all "systemsettings[4,5] does.
>
Note that I believe kdm is deprecated ... I understand it has not been
ported to kde5/plasma/whatever-they-call-it.

I need to upgrade my main gentoo system from kde4, and the release notes
say that kdm will disappear in the upgrade. Pain because it's the one I use.

Cheers,
Wol

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 10:08:32, Wols Lists ha scritto:

> On 07/01/17 13:26, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * stakanov <[hidden email]> [01-07-17 06:01]:
> >> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 11:47:19, jdd ha scritto:
> >>> Le 07/01/2017 à 11:46, stakanov a écrit :
> >>>> What substitute one can install for sddm. This is a local computer. No
> >>>> network functionality other than on the very machine (however multiuser
> >>>> mode) is needed. What would be a candidate? (excluding KDM).
> >>>> Reason is an apparent incompatibility with the serial kernel 4.4.
> >>>
> >>> xdm?
> >>>
> >>> jdd
> >>
> >> Does the change require any special setup or I do this from yast?
> >> In case it should not work, can I maintain the sddm packages, in
> >> parallel,
> >> present until I know that there is no problem? Or are they mutually
> >> exclusive? I  believe recall that I can install multiple loginmanager
> >> and set the value in yast by specifying which to use?
> >
> > my tw has kdm,xdm,gdm,wdm,entrance,console,lightdm,and sddm offered in
> > /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> >
> > DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"
> >
> > editing that from a text console should provide what you ask.  I believe
> > that is all "systemsettings[4,5] does.
>
> Note that I believe kdm is deprecated ... I understand it has not been
> ported to kde5/plasma/whatever-they-call-it.
>
> I need to upgrade my main gentoo system from kde4, and the release notes
> say that kdm will disappear in the upgrade. Pain because it's the one I use.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I wouldn't mind to use sddm (although it seams undone) but it crashes with the
regular 4.4 Kernel on my system and also on 42.2 so badly that you have to
hard reset (everything goes black). I will see if they are interested to debug
this, as this is another stone on the change to 42.2.
I do not really understand this, because on other machines with AMD graphics
it does not matter, so I have the doubt it is something that is problematic with
intel graphics (which are in the kernel). However I haven't yet had feedback
from the bugzilla.

In the meanwhile I tried lightdm. Up to now (although less comfortable) it
seems much "lighter" for the processor. I still have to check if it also
crashes with the 4.4 kernel of Leap on this system.
A change in yast is sufficient.

About KDM: thank you for the heads up. I stopped using KDM right away because
on this system magically KDM opened listening servers on 6001, 6002 etc when
using alt+ctrl+Fx combination to switch between users. I had to hand-edit all
the time. So I think it was broken way before (and not only for me).





--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Per Jessen
stakanov wrote:

> I wouldn't mind to use sddm (although it seams undone) but it crashes
> with the regular 4.4 Kernel on my system and also on 42.2 so badly
> that you have to hard reset (everything goes black). I will see if
> they are interested to debug this, as this is another stone on the
> change to 42.2. I do not really understand this, because on other
> machines with AMD graphics it does not matter, so I have the doubt it
> is something that is problematic with intel graphics (which are in the
> kernel). However I haven't yet had feedback from the bugzilla.

When I first installed leap421 on a test system, sddm kept crashing all
the time.  With time, it did slowly improve, but I'm pretty certain it
was all graphics related.  



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.1°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Substitute for sddm

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Richmond
On 2017-01-08 07:25, Richmond wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:


>> I've used lightdm on several machines because sddm had some bugs, which are
>> mostly solved now, but also because its huge, bloated, and unnecessary.
>>
>> Install lightdm   (your usual method)
>>
>> systemctl enable lightm.service
>> systemctl disable sddm.service
>>
>> Best to reboot here, but you can also try
>> systemctl stop sddm.service
>> systemctl start lightdm.service
>>
>>
>>
> I use yast2 sysconfig to change the default display manager and window
> manager. Does it do the same thing I wonder?
Basically yes. Except the restarting. And I think it has hiccups.



--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" at Telcontar)


signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment