SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

Andrei V
Hi !

Yesterday I have upgraded from SuSE 11.4 to 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2,
and today morning run into unexpected problem. Thunderbird can't
download new massages because:
************************
There is not enough disk space to download new messages. Try deleting
old mail, emptying the Trash folder, and compacting your mail folders,
and then try again.
************************

However, I have more then 250GB free on home partition. Root partition
also have a lot of free space. I moved all messages from inbox, cleaned
trash and junk folders, compacted all mailboxes, even restarted
computer. Nothing helps. Looks like this is Thunderbird bug.

Anyone can suggest how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Firefox 10.0.2 work fine without any problem.

Re: SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

Masaru Nomiya-3
Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : [opensuse] SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem
  Date & Time: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 09:31:28 +0200

"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> has written:

> Yesterday I have upgraded from SuSE 11.4 to 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2,
> and today morning run into unexpected problem. Thunderbird can't
> download new massages because:
> ************************
> There is not enough disk space to download new messages. Try deleting
> old mail, emptying the Trash folder, and compacting your mail folders,
> and then try again.
> ************************

Have you checked permissins around Thinderbird?

Regards,

---
┏━━┓彡 Masaru Nomiya             mail-to: nomiya @ galaxy.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛ "Bill! You married with Computers.
          Not with Me!"
         "No..., with money."

Re: SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

Basil Chupin-2
On 01/03/12 18:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi !
>

> Yesterday I have upgraded from SuSE 11.4 to 12.1 and Thunderbird
> 10.0.2, and today morning run into unexpected problem. Thunderbird
> can't download new massages because:
> ************************
> There is not enough disk space to download new messages. Try deleting
> old mail, emptying the Trash folder, and compacting your mail folders,
> and then try again.
> ************************
>
> However, I have more then 250GB free on home partition. Root partition
> also have a lot of free space. I moved all messages from inbox,
> cleaned trash and junk folders, compacted all mailboxes, even
> restarted computer. Nothing helps. Looks like this is Thunderbird bug.
>
> Anyone can suggest how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS. Firefox 10.0.2 work fine without any problem.

Thunderbird works fine under 12.1.

Have you emptied your /tmp ( /tmp as in the / directory) [and the
/var/tmp] directory?

There appears to be a problem somewhere and these 2 directories are not
cleared for some reason as they were in earlier releases of oS.

To clean out /tmp,

do ALT-CTRL-F1 and login as root then do 'init 1' and login as root once
again;

do 'rm -rf /tmp/*'  which will clean out /tmp;

then do 'init 5' to get back to your logon screen.

See also /etc/sysconfig/cron and set the appropriate parameters to keep
/tmp and /var/tmp cleaned by cron.

BC

--
I'd rather live one more day as a wolf than an entire life as a lamb.

Re: SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

Andrei V
Hi !

Thanks for everyone who replied !

The same problem (without solution) is described here:

After trying several versions of Thunderbird from 7.x to 10.x, checking
permissions, etc., I found a culprit which is clearly relate to same
oddity or bug in Thunderbird itself.
In short, stopping quota system solved the problem. Quota itself wasn't
a cause because there are lot of space available.

On 02/03/12 09:18, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Thanks for everyone who replied !
>
> The same problem (without solution) is described here:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276143
>
> After trying several versions of Thunderbird from 7.x to 10.x,
> checking permissions, etc., I found a culprit which is clearly relate
> to same oddity or bug in Thunderbird itself.
> In short, stopping quota system solved the problem. Quota itself
> wasn't a cause because there are lot of space available.

The URL you mention above does not provide the final answer to the
question, and your reference to "the quota system" being stopped (by
you): what "quota system"? where is it? and how did you "stop" it?

BC

On 02/03/12 13:23, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2012-03-02 02:53, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> The URL you mention above does not provide the final answer to the
>> question, and your reference to "the quota system" being stopped (by you):
>> what "quota system"? where is it? and how did you "stop" it?
> There is a filesystem quota in Linux which can be enabled. If a user
> reaches the limit, even though there could be free space, his programs
> would receive the no free space error, IIRC.
>
> http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/htmlsingle/openSUSE/opensuse-startup.html
> 10.3.5. Managing Quotas

Thanks Carlos.

In all the years that I have been using openSUSE I have never heard of
this so this is a revelation to me (as many things are :-) ) .

BUT, this quota thing is NOT installed by default when one installs oS
but has to be deliberately installed.

So I wonder how or why the OP happened to have it installed? I wonder if
he will tell us.

BC

--
I'd rather live one more day as a wolf than an entire life as a lamb.

Re: SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

Re: SuSE 12.1 and Thunderbird 10.0.2 Problem

Per Jessen-2
Basil Chupin wrote:

> Have you emptied your /tmp ( /tmp as in the / directory) [and the
> /var/tmp] directory?
>
> There appears to be a problem somewhere and these 2 directories are
> not cleared for some reason as they were in earlier releases of oS.

You have to enable it - see /etc/sysconfig/cron.  I think it was
discussed making it the default, but afaik, sofar the default has been
to not automatically clear out /tmp.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.8°C)

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2012-03-02 03:51, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>>> 10.3.5. Managing Quotas
>>
>> Thanks Carlos.
>>
>> In all the years that I have been using openSUSE I have never heard
>> of this so this is a revelation to me (as many things are :-) ) .
>
> Welcome . I happened to notice this when it was introduced years ago,
> and I remembered. I have never used it, though.

It's primarily useful on multi-user systems. It prevents one user from
filling up the whole file system thereby denying service to others.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.9°C)