SuSE 10.1 Unusably Slow

wmeler
I had SuSE 10.0 installed just fine, but I installed WinXP and in the
process decided to install 10.1.  Apparently a bad move, because though
WinXP is running great and SuSE 10.0 ran better than any OS I've ever used,
SuSE 10.1 is running unusably slow.  I mean so slow that right after I boot,
if I run konqueror, I can watch the bouncing konqueror icon suspend in
mid-air multiple times.  We're talking at least a full minute before it
comes up.  Forget about using it, that's 10x worse.

Ideas?  I have no idea where to start as ever since SuSE 8.1, I've not had
any problems like this.

wmeler

Re: SuSE 10.1 Unusably Slow

John Andersen
On Friday 04 August 2006 22:36, wmeler wrote:

> I had SuSE 10.0 installed just fine, but I installed WinXP and in the
> process decided to install 10.1.  Apparently a bad move, because though
> WinXP is running great and SuSE 10.0 ran better than any OS I've ever used,
> SuSE 10.1 is running unusably slow.  I mean so slow that right after I
> boot, if I run konqueror, I can watch the bouncing konqueror icon suspend
> in mid-air multiple times.  We're talking at least a full minute before it
> comes up.  Forget about using it, that's 10x worse.
>
> Ideas?  I have no idea where to start as ever since SuSE 8.1, I've not had
> any problems like this.
Does it get better after a while?  Or does it stay slow.

Is that miserable zmd and zen-updater running?

How old is the mobo?  Circa 2000?  It might not be running acpid.

Fire up top in a shell and find out where the cycles are going.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: SuSE 10.1 Unusably Slow

Jan Engelhardt
>> I had SuSE 10.0 installed just fine, but I installed WinXP and in the
>> process decided to install 10.1.  Apparently a bad move, because though
>> WinXP is running great and SuSE 10.0 ran better than any OS I've ever used,
>> SuSE 10.1 is running unusably slow.  I mean so slow that right after I
>> boot, if I run konqueror, I can watch the bouncing konqueror icon suspend
>> in mid-air multiple times.  We're talking at least a full minute before it
>> comes up.  Forget about using it, that's 10x worse.
>>
>> Ideas?  I have no idea where to start as ever since SuSE 8.1, I've not had
>> any problems like this.

Kill beagle. Got tons of RAM?

>Does it get better after a while?  Or does it stay slow.
>
>Is that miserable zmd and zen-updater running?
>
>How old is the mobo?  Circa 2000?  It might not be running acpid.
>
>Fire up top in a shell and find out where the cycles are going.
>

>--
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Unusably Slow

Benjamin Belau
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> Kill beagle. Got tons of RAM?

I was about to propose the same - sucks hard that suse "let the dog out" on
us (the bitch shall roast in hell, hopefully soon).

Try:  smart remove beagle
--
Benjamin Belau
Support | IVV5 | Math | uni-muenster.de