SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

clintin
I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1 Remastered, released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it needed on CD1 (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it would continue, nope, it droped into the text screen to report we had an error, yeh, we tried installing SuSE 10.1 Remastered.  Only thing I could do at this point was restart the installation.  Not going there today :-(  Already, the install had cost me an hour, lost!  Hope 10.2, when finally released, is a little more friendly.  It was my understanding that one reason 10.1 was remaster was to fix the installer?  FYI, I run the original 10.1 on a machine at home, it is my main computer, and other than the updater issues which have been fixed and I was able to work around without any great concern but it really bothers me that things like this continue to occur with the installer.  Oh, it was a fresh install as well, media verified.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

Dylan-13
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 19:56, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1 Remastered,
> released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it needed on CD1
> (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it would continue,
> nope, it droped into the text screen to report we had an error, yeh, we
> tried installing SuSE 10.1 Remastered.

Did you check the media at all before trying the install?

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

clintin
> The Wednesday 2006-11-08 at 12:56 -0700, Clint Tinsley wrote:
>
> > I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1
> > Remastered, released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a
> > file it
>
> Did you verify the checksums of the downloaded images, and after burning
> them, of the CDs?
>
> FYI, I did an install from the dvd and it run fine.

I verified the checksums of the downloaded images as well as media check.  DVD is not an option on this machine.

I also have been around Linux and SuSE long enough (6.1 SuSE Pro) to know that not everyone is going to get the same results during an install. Also I don't hardly ever accept the default package selection during the install if I have a choice as I have some very specific packages that I want installed on the first go around so the files to be installed are most likely different than most.  My point was here that the installer shouldn't terminate just because some non-essential file is missing.  gettext is a non-essential package and I would have had no difficulty resolving that post install.

Thanks for the reply.

Clint

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 20:56, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1 Remastered,
> released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it needed on CD1
> (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it would continue,

It can't continue if it can't read packages off the disc. It sounds like you
had a read error, for whatever reason (bad ISO image, bad burn,
incompatibilities between burner and reader or something else)

There is an option at the start of the installer to verify your discs.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

clintin
> On Wednesday 08 November 2006 20:56, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> > I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1 Remastered,
> > released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it needed on CD1
> > (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it would continue,
>
> It can't continue if it can't read packages off the disc. It sounds like you
> had a read error, for whatever reason (bad ISO image, bad burn,
> incompatibilities between burner and reader or something else)
>
> There is an option at the start of the installer to verify your discs.

This was done...

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 21:18, Clint Tinsley wrote:

> > On Wednesday 08 November 2006 20:56, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> > > I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1
> > > Remastered, released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it
> > > needed on CD1 (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it
> > > would continue,
> >
> > It can't continue if it can't read packages off the disc. It sounds like
> > you had a read error, for whatever reason (bad ISO image, bad burn,
> > incompatibilities between burner and reader or something else)
> >
> > There is an option at the start of the installer to verify your discs.
>
> This was done...

Alright, then I suggest you switch to a text console with ctrl-alt-f2,
copy /var/log/YaST2/y2log to someplace (if you can start the network, copy it
to another machine, otherwise mount a floppy and copy it) then open a bug in
bugzilla.novell.com and attach the log file to it

Or, if you feel inclined to do a little detective work yourself, look through
that y2log file and search for gettext, and see if you can find the error
message that tells why it couldn't be read

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

JJ Gitties
On 11/8/06, Clint Tinsley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1 Remastered,
> released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it needed on CD1
> (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it would continue, nope,
> it droped into the text screen to report we had an error, yeh, we tried
> installing SuSE 10.1 Remastered.  Only thing I could do at this point was
> restart the installation.  Not going there today :-(  Already, the install
> had cost me an hour, lost!  Hope 10.2, when finally released, is a little
> more friendly.  It was my understanding that one reason 10.1 was remaster
> was to fix the installer?  FYI, I run the original 10.1 on a machine at
> home, it is my main computer, and other than the updater issues which have
> been fixed and I was able to work around without any great concern but it
> really bothers me that things like this continue to occur with the
> installer.  Oh, it was a fresh install as well, media verified.

You should call your local Microsoft rep and complain about it.**

Sorry guys, I am not trying to troll, but you all saw this one coming up 5th
avenue with a big neon sign on it.

--
jjgitties,

"*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is a
wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

Peo Nilsson
On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 16:00 -0500, JJ Gitties wrote:

jjgitties,

"*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is a
wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."

Why is M$ following me wherever I go....
Will it be M$ beers next ?
Sounds like hell, I'm not ready for that and didn't plan to end up there
either.

I'm pretty sure off Suse distro soon...
It has been nice to "pass bye"...
--
/Cheers Peo

--
Registered Linux User #432116, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 22:00, JJ Gitties wrote:
> Sorry guys, I am not trying to troll, but you all saw this one coming up
> 5th avenue with a big neon sign on it.

Not really. And your sig about forking is also just another sign that you're a
troll with no mind of your own

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

Jose-30
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi

I also have installed from the DVD, and no problem here, I had the same
problem with a suse 10.1, but once I re download it it ran fine

Jose

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

JJ Gitties
Anders. I resent that. My new sig  is proudly plagarized from a user who
commented on the recent Dvorak article that I read today. It may be that
both of them have no clue what they are talking about, but I liked the
comment and it make me chuckle.

and the user was * rickst29* and his comment was here near the bottom...

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/1004349517/ShowPost.aspx

I will be paying *rickst29 *and he will be paying me royalties for this bit
of IP.

:-)

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 22:29, JJ Gitties wrote:
> Anders. I resent that. My new sig  is proudly plagarized from a user who
> commented on the recent Dvorak article that I read today. It may be that
> both of them have no clue what they are talking about, but I liked the
> comment and it make me chuckle.

It's so comic that the community - so quick to condemn FUD in others - are
really the worst FUD makers.

> and the user was * rickst29* and his comment was here near the bottom...
>
> http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/1004349517/ShowPost.aspx
>
> I will be paying *rickst29 *and he will be paying me royalties for this bit
> of IP.

Funny. But if you had taken the trouble to read things for yourself - as
opposed to just repeating ill-informed things from others - you would have
known that no one is paying anyone IP royalties

If - and it's a huge if - there is ever anything found that violates a patent
in GPLed code, no one has a license to use it. The code will be rewritten or
pulled.

What's being paid for is not having to go to court for someone else's mistake

The FUD about patent problems in linux was spread by others (notably the
OSRM). Novell's stand is that there are no patent problems in GPL code, but
customers aren't satisfied that easily

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

JJ Gitties
On 11/8/06, Anders Johansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's so comic that the community - so quick to condemn FUD in others - are
> really the worst FUD makers.

Well, FUD can flows both ways.

<snipped>

> Funny. But if you had taken the trouble to read things for yourself - as
> opposed to just repeating ill-informed things from others -

I did read all of it. And I did not include the guys post because I believe
it's true, I just thought it was funny and exercise my right to use it in my
sig.

Personally, my stand on this is, it's way too soon to tell what will come
out of it.  But that does not stop one from having a sense of humor about
the whole thing.

MS went to the stables to butcher Netscape only to have the poor bugger came
back and bite them in the arse in the form of community Firefox. The long
running joke of http://www.mslinux.org/ is about to be real.  Come on, pull
the pickle, you got to laugh about it.

--
jjgitties,

"*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is a
wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."

Re: SuSE 10.1 Remastered Broke

Mike McMullin
On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 13:18 -0700, Clint Tinsley wrote:

> > On Wednesday 08 November 2006 20:56, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> > > I attempted an installation from the 5 CD version of SuSE 10.1 Remastered,
> > > released a couple of weeks back.  It couldn't get a file it needed on CD1
> > > (gettext), I told it to retry, nota, ignore, hoping it would continue,
> >
> > It can't continue if it can't read packages off the disc. It sounds like you
> > had a read error, for whatever reason (bad ISO image, bad burn,
> > incompatibilities between burner and reader or something else)
> >
> > There is an option at the start of the installer to verify your discs.
>
> This was done...

  Clint, I'm going to be doing an install of the 10.1 remastered this
weekend, from CD's (if it will help, though I created a DVD as well).  I
can check this if you'll be so kind as to tell me about the package
selection options You chose to use.  I did notice on thing about the
10.1 remastered, the option to repair in stalled system now works.  (Yes
i verified the md5sum on the dl'ed original iso's and did a check media
on the disk at install time.)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]