Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
Hi,

Several updates ago, not sure exactly when, I've experienced new rare and
strange glitch: it looks interlined (not one by one though, more like 3-by-1),
some rows looks fine, some aren't.
Glitch is pretty rare. Mostly've noticed it on:
1. NetBeans splash screen (for some time it looks interlined, then it goes OK)
2. KMail message composer window — only text message frame and scrollbar are
interlined, inner text is fine
3. Menu selected item.
I can't make screenshot as every redraw vanish it and everything goes normal
again. And can't reproduce it every time, just noticed that KMail glitch may
come after switching from one desktop to another (window activating is
enough). I've made a photo (sorry, only KMail, ATM):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RmCUpvYXFlEnTM5p1

Maybe connected to this: once I've got unchanged Chromium content hasn't
updated but changing window opacity (by scrolling on window titlebar) made
everything fine.

It looks to me like some KWin composition or Intel driver problem, but can't
manage stable reproducing of this glitch. Had anyone seen it?

Some tech info:
openSUSE (obviously) Tumbleweed x86_64 (0712 but was seen before)
Intel i7-6700HQ with Intel HD Graphics 530
(NVidia card is present but usually is switched off, proprietary drivers,
Bumblebee/BBSwitch)
KDE Plasma 5, KWin (X11) with composition on, Breeze style for both KWin and
widgets (have checked other).

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op zaterdag 22 juli 2017 18:53:11 CEST schreef Mykola Krachkovsky:

> Hi,
>
> Several updates ago, not sure exactly when, I've experienced new rare and
> strange glitch: it looks interlined (not one by one though, more like
> 3-by-1), some rows looks fine, some aren't.
> Glitch is pretty rare. Mostly've noticed it on:
> 1. NetBeans splash screen (for some time it looks interlined, then it goes
> OK) 2. KMail message composer window — only text message frame and
> scrollbar are interlined, inner text is fine
> 3. Menu selected item.
> I can't make screenshot as every redraw vanish it and everything goes normal
> again. And can't reproduce it every time, just noticed that KMail glitch
> may come after switching from one desktop to another (window activating is
> enough). I've made a photo (sorry, only KMail, ATM):
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/RmCUpvYXFlEnTM5p1
>
> Maybe connected to this: once I've got unchanged Chromium content hasn't
> updated but changing window opacity (by scrolling on window titlebar) made
> everything fine.
>
> It looks to me like some KWin composition or Intel driver problem, but can't
> manage stable reproducing of this glitch. Had anyone seen it?
>
> Some tech info:
> openSUSE (obviously) Tumbleweed x86_64 (0712 but was seen before)
> Intel i7-6700HQ with Intel HD Graphics 530
> (NVidia card is present but usually is switched off, proprietary drivers,
> Bumblebee/BBSwitch)
> KDE Plasma 5, KWin (X11) with composition on, Breeze style for both KWin and
> widgets (have checked other).

What is the Compostor's setting. If Xrender, set it to OpenGL, or the other
way around.  

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 20:11:57 EEST Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink написано:
> What is the Compostor's setting. If Xrender, set it to OpenGL, or the other
> way around.

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention it. Compositor settings set to OpenGL 2.0, vsync
— automatic. Well I may check switching it to OpenGL 3.1, but that will need a
time to test (as glitch isn't showed up constantly). XRender isn't a good
option. I may try it but that's not a solution to me.
Intel drivers are in standard mode (which I suppose DRI3), haven't change
manually anything.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 20:22:16 EEST ви написали:
> Well I may check switching it to OpenGL 3.1

Bug still there for 3.1. Now checking XRender...

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 21:01:26 EEST Mykola Krachkovsky написано:
> субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 20:22:16 EEST ви написали:
> > Well I may check switching it to OpenGL 3.1
>
> Bug still there for 3.1. Now checking XRender...

And… it's still present for XRender.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op zaterdag 22 juli 2017 20:04:57 CEST schreef Mykola Krachkovsky:
> субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 21:01:26 EEST Mykola Krachkovsky написано:
> > субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 20:22:16 EEST ви написали:
> > > Well I may check switching it to OpenGL 3.1
> >
> > Bug still there for 3.1. Now checking XRender...
>
> And… it's still present for XRender.
In all cases, Mykola, did you also perform a reboot?


--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums TeamN�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Felix Miata-3
In reply to this post by Mykola Krachkovsky
Mykola Krachkovsky composed on 2017-07-22 19:53 (UTC+0300):

> It looks to me like some KWin composition or Intel driver problem, but can't
> manage stable reproducing of this glitch. Had anyone seen it?

Does Xorg.0.log report that you are in fact using the Intel Xorg driver?

Have you tried the other Xorg driver (modeset)? It's been built into the Xorg
server since 1.17.x. Uninstalling xf86-video-intel should enable its use,
assuming /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids didn't already enable it.
--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
In reply to this post by Knurpht-openSUSE
субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 21:17:36 EEST Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink написано:
> In all cases, Mykola, did you also perform a reboot?
Oops, sorry. I've accidentally pressed R instead of L in KMail. Answer was:
Nope. Just kwin restart.

But I already rebooted with OpenGL 3.1 and bug is present. I'll try full
restart with XRender later.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-3
субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 21:51:41 EEST Felix Miata написано:
> Does Xorg.0.log report that you are in fact using the Intel Xorg driver?

Yes:
grep intel /var/log/Xorg.0.log        
[     6.715] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
[     6.715] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 1
[     6.715] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
[     6.721] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
[     6.725] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     6.728] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:
[     6.728] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics
[     6.728] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics
[     6.728] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics
... etc

glxinfo | grep OpenGL\ renderer
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

And I'm sure NVidia card is off — my laptop has indicator.

> Have you tried the other Xorg driver (modeset)? It's been built into the
> Xorg server since 1.17.x. Uninstalling xf86-video-intel should enable its
> use, assuming /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids didn't already enable
> it.

According to Xorg.0.log modesetting is unloaded. Thanks, I will try it. Are
there any bad sides of this driver?

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Felix Miata-3
Mykola Krachkovsky composed on 2017-07-23 10:50 (UTC+0300):

> Felix Miata composed:

> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

>> Have you tried the other Xorg driver (modeset)? It's been built into the
>> Xorg server since 1.17.x. Uninstalling xf86-video-intel should enable its
>> use, assuming /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids didn't already enable
>> it.

> According to Xorg.0.log modesetting is unloaded. Thanks, I will try it. Are
> there any bad sides of this driver?

Works nice for me with Haswell and with Eaglelake. I have no Skylake to try, but
modeset works nice for me also with various ATI and GeForce gfxchips. Other
people report variously, with only complaints I remember from recent past coming
from gamers.
--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
In reply to this post by Knurpht-openSUSE
субота, 22 липня 2017 р. 21:17:36 EEST Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink написано:
> In all cases, Mykola, did you also perform a reboot?

Have checked all cases with reboot already. Bug is present.
Have you any other ideas? Thanks.

(Still got to check modesetting driver.)

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange rare interlined glitch (Intel GPU?, KWin?)

Mykola Krachkovsky
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-3
неділя, 23 липня 2017 р. 11:41:28 EEST Felix Miata написано:

> Mykola Krachkovsky composed on 2017-07-23 10:50 (UTC+0300):
> > Felix Miata composed:
> >
> > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
> >
> >> Have you tried the other Xorg driver (modeset)? It's been built into the
> >> Xorg server since 1.17.x. Uninstalling xf86-video-intel should enable its
> >> use, assuming /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids didn't already enable
> >> it.
> >
> > According to Xorg.0.log modesetting is unloaded. Thanks, I will try it.
> > Are
> > there any bad sides of this driver?
>
> Works nice for me with Haswell and with Eaglelake. I have no Skylake to try,
> but modeset works nice for me also with various ATI and GeForce gfxchips.
> Other people report variously, with only complaints I remember from recent
> past coming from gamers.
Have tried to remove intel driver. Can't see this bug, but as it is not stably
reproducible will spend more time to be sure. Thanks.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky
--
Найкращі побажання,
Микола Крачковський

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

openSUSE Guide Repo for libdvdcss not updated anymore?

Frank Krüger
Hi there

I have just realized that

http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/

still contains libdvdcss 1.2.13, while the latest version is 1.4 (the
same applies to openSUSE Leap).

Is the repo still maintained and necessary?

Regards, Frank

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openSUSE Guide Repo for libdvdcss not updated anymore?

Richard Brown
On 23 July 2017 at 11:56, Frank Krüger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have just realized that
>
> http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
>
> still contains libdvdcss 1.2.13, while the latest version is 1.4 (the
> same applies to openSUSE Leap).
>
> Is the repo still maintained and necessary?
>
> Regards, Frank

From http://www.opensuse-guide.org

"Note that this guide is not officially related to the openSUSE
project nor SUSE LINUX Products GmbH nor Micro Focus International."

"Send your comments via e-mail to admin [at] opensuse-guide.org"

Probably best you ask the right people, libdvdcss is not hosted on any
service ran by the openSUSE Project

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_application_blacklist
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openSUSE Guide Repo for libdvdcss not updated anymore?

Frank Krüger
Am 23.07.2017 um 12:12 schrieb Richard Brown:

> On 23 July 2017 at 11:56, Frank Krüger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I have just realized that
>>
>> http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
>>
>> still contains libdvdcss 1.2.13, while the latest version is 1.4 (the
>> same applies to openSUSE Leap).
>>
>> Is the repo still maintained and necessary?
>>
>> Regards, Frank
>
> From http://www.opensuse-guide.org
>
> "Note that this guide is not officially related to the openSUSE
> project nor SUSE LINUX Products GmbH nor Micro Focus International."
>
> "Send your comments via e-mail to admin [at] opensuse-guide.org"
>
> Probably best you ask the right people, libdvdcss is not hosted on any
> service ran by the openSUSE Project
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_application_blacklist
>
FYI: Update of repos to libdvdcss 1.4. Works for Tumbleweed, Leap 42.2
and 42,3. Many thanks to Martin Schlander for the speedy update! I very
much appreciate it.

Regards, Frank
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]