Starting KDE YaST menu and tools from Gnome session?

Starting KDE YaST menu and tools from Gnome session?

Terje J. Hanssen
I've "always" used to install Suse with Gnome default and add the KDE
patterns, currently on openSUSE 10.3. That is I use Gnome as my default
desktop and have access to KDE apps from the merged menus. However, with
the latest Gnome GTK based Suse Updater and YaST>Online Update and
Software Management, I feel the good old Qt based YaST Online Update and
Sotware Management on KDE give me better control.

Especially I've experienced some updates that looks to go in loops and
start over and over again without being fullfilled using the Gnome Suse
Updater, and the Detail button has neither helped.
Usually this is due to some kind of a dependice conflicts that has been
easy to find and solve with YaST>Online Update in a KDE session. I also
often use the All pacages>Update if newer version is available, beside
Managing software which give me better overview.

My question is:
Is it possible to start the KDE YaST directly by CLI from the Gnome
Desktop without login in a KDE session first?

Cheers,
Terje J. Hanssen

Re: Starting KDE YaST menu and tools from Gnome session?

Scott Jones-6
On Friday 14 March 2008, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> My question is:
> Is it possible to start the KDE YaST directly by CLI from the Gnome
> Desktop without login in a KDE session first?

You can change the default UI from GTK to QT permanently.

Open /etc/sysconfig/yast2 in an editor and change WANTED_GUI="auto" to
WANTED_GUI="qt", save and run SuSEconfig.  Make sure you have yast2-qt
installed, of course.

Re: Starting KDE YaST menu and tools from Gnome session?

Bjørn Lie

fre, 14.03.2008 kl. 20.07 +0100, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:

> My question is:
> Is it possible to start the KDE YaST directly by CLI from the Gnome
> Desktop without login in a KDE session first?

 /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base -h

Bjørn Lie wrote:
> fre, 14.03.2008 kl. 20.07 +0100, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
>
>> My question is:
>> Is it possible to start the KDE YaST directly by CLI from the Gnome
>> Desktop without login in a KDE session first?
>
> /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base -h

/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base online_update qt
/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base sw_single qt

are the temporary tools I asked for,

Thanks,
Terje J. Hanssen

KDE YAST fra Gnome

Terje J. Hanssen
Bjørn Lie wrote:
> fre, 14.03.2008 kl. 20.07 +0100, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
>
>> My question is:
>> Is it possible to start the KDE YaST directly by CLI from the Gnome
>> Desktop without login in a KDE session first?
>
> /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base -h

/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base online_update qt
/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base sw_single qt

are the temporary tools I asked for,

Thanks,
Terje J. Hanssen